View Full Version : Traditional Japanese clothing- what's this called?

01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
(The one on the right)


I'm clueless about what the different parts of this are called, could anyone help?

01-17-2012, 01:53 PM
The second link doesn't work but at the first he seems to be wearing possibly a yukata with a kaku obi tied at his waist and zori shoes with tabi socks. I'm not sure what that open kimono could be, maybe a really long haori.. I don't know.

01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
The over-garment just looks like a normal kimono worn untied. A haori would be more usual, and longer haori are fashionable for women, but that's longer than any I've seen. The color and design of it are also pretty solidly feminine, while the length makes it a man's. This is probably not something you could buy pre-made, unless it's from a cosplay shop.

(under the yukata, you can see another layer just barely peeping out at the neck. That's the underwear, called a juban.)

EDIT: no, dammit, that IS just a really long haori. The front panels go straight from neck to hem, with no additional overlap panels. A kimono would have those.

01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I think it's just artistic license, because no haori is ever that long. Even vintage haori for women, which were much longer than modern ones.