PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think

shdwstrm
01-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi all!!

I thought I'd toss some of my costumes up here for some critiquing. Lemme know what you think??? Please be kind, all of these costumes were made when I was in the novice rankings (I've since moves up to Journeyman with my Sesshoumaru costume)

My Sesshoumaru Costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=95662)

Inuyasha (worn by a friend) (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=95678)

Ayane (worn by a friend) (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=101959)

Rikku FFX (worn by a friend) (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=95679)

I have some others in my gallery, but these are my favorite ones.

If you don't want to leave a post here, please feel free to e-mail me
My e-mail is shdwstrm@hotmail.com

KHs_Sora
01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I really like your Rikku.

Aer
01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
I really like your Rikku as well. And your Sesshoumaru!

I would say something about the use of the shiny satin, as it usually really bothers me as people will go crazy and use it for everything, but here it really doesn't bother me. It was used nicely in my opinion.

Nice work ^_^

Flowery
01-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 02:28 PM
they were all pretty good, one thing though I didn't like sesshie cause it was shiny. It looks constructed very well but the shinyness bothers me I just don't see sesshie as being shiny^_^; I'd have to see a better pic of the inu yasha where his hands aren't covering the front. Most people forget he's got that front flappy thing there so I can't tell if you put that there or not ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Hanyaan
01-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Your Sesshoumaru is great, although too shiny for my tastes. And I think that the fluffy thing is supposed to be white, not yellow. XD Make sure you use a (preferably white) wig cap under that lovely Sesshie wig; I can see your natural hair color around your ears, which isn't supposed to happen.

For Inuyasha, the costume itself is quite nice, but I see two big problems: huge ears and sneakers. Sneakers are a pet peeve of many cosplayers. Although it's not practical to run around barefoot in a con, at least get some unobtrusive flipflops, or maybe some geta.

Your Ayane is also satin. I don't particularly think it should have been satin, but it's still obviously well-made and well-tailored, so I won't take any "points" off for that. The problem is with the girl's hair. If you're going to use your real hair and dye it, make sure it's all one color instead of with six or seven month's roots showing. Or use a wig. XD However, I love the bootcovers for those. They're EXTREMELY well done. My final word for this costume: The iron is your FRIEND! Iron that sucker or it looks really shoddy! Satin wrinkles so badly, which is why I don't like that type of satin very much.

I have no complaints with Rikku, except that maybe her hair could have looked a bit better. The costume itself is one of the best Rikkus I've seen.

shdwstrm
01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Thats everyone for the critiques. I appreciate all the input you have given. I do plan on rewearing the Sesshoumaru costume but I am in the process of re making the fluffy tail. At the time, the short yellowish fur was all I could get. I know have long white fur and will have a proper tail for the next con. I'll be sure to update the picture as soon as I have it done.

I will also look into getting a skull cap to hide my hair colour.

As for the Ayane costume, it was a my friend decision to dye her hair purple. The particular dye she used has to stay about a half an inch from the roots and she had already washed her hair a couple times, hence the variations from piece to piece. Also the gel she used was a contributing factor. The shoe covers were fairly easy. I had done them once before. We used a silicone based glue to attach them onto the existing shoes, and had primed and painted the soles (Primer has become a must for all of my cosplay crafty projects)

I did do the flap piece on the inuyasha. I'll try to get a better picture of that costume so you can see that. The cosplayer for that particular costuem was concerened about getting her feet mashed, hence the shoes (there were a lot of people in the dealers room and there would ahve been no doubt of her getting mashed.)

The rikku was one of the most time consuming projects I worked on. There is soooo much that was handsewn on it. The belt was made entirely from scratch and my hand, also the strpies on the socks, the arm bands, the upper part of the socks, and the leg piece. I was working on this costume literaly in the middle of the night the day before the con. While making this costume, I had done a lot of handsewing on my X2 Yuna costume. My fingers were sooooo sore for a couple of days after the con.

I know some people don't like the satin that I used on the cosyumes. Thats okay with me. I wanted to give them a more regal look, but in the case of Sesshoumaru, I tried to balance the look by using just regular cotton broadcloth for the bely and actual alluminum for the armor. By far, the Sesshoumaru is one of the most comfortable costumes I have worn.

Again, thatnks soo much for all of your input!

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 10:54 PM
a tip for your fluffy for sesshie. I wouldn't stuff the whole thing cause it winds up looking like a giant slug over your shoulder. When I made my ex's sesshie costume we stuffed the first half or a tad less enough from one end up to where it went to the back side. We also used an elastic loop to hold the fluffy into a circle shape so it'd stay a bit easier on the arm. If you brush the fur a lot too it'll add fluffyness to it, like tease it like you would tease your hair to make it puffier but don't be too rough on it cause the fur can come off the fabric there.

Miaka no Baka

shdwstrm
01-03-2004, 11:09 PM
I stuffed the whole tail very lightly. I stretched an pullked all the stuffing so it would be filling but also crunch down a bit to give it some dimension. I didn't have any problem with it staying on my shoulder but the end of it got quite dirty from rubbing against the floor (Oh well) I'll try that teasing tip for the new one, thanks!!!

nyamiko_chan
01-04-2004, 10:23 AM
The Rikku is one of the best I've seen as well.

As for your sesshoumaru I would say that I love it and that the shinyness can and can't work for it ^_^ I do like how it make his costume look more formal to me, and because of his desgins I would think in real life that it would be made of silk or something of the sort. Although, I think I would choose to do mine not shiny. I guess it depends on the cosplayer right! I like how you did it tho and I saw you at CNAnime 2003 with it! ^_^ If your ever going to re-make the tail tho, I have seen some great long white fluffy fur, downtown Toronto, and that might work better for your tail because yours look a lil' on the creamy side ^^;; T_T I still lubs it to bits and I'm glad you won that award at CN, you deserved it ^_~

The ayame I like , but the bow looks weird X_Xbut I know how hard it is to make a huge bow and it to stay up ^^;;

and btw?? What flap are you guys talking about with Inuyasha. ^^;? I have been planning an Inuyahsa costume and I'm a lil' nervous now X-x;; could someone show me ^^??

Dewy
01-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Inuyasha needs to wear sandals or something :/ ...The ears are a little to large and fluffy too, but the costume itself is one of the better ones I've seen :D

I didn't notice the shiny-ness on Sesshoumaru, I think it fits. If you want to improve it I think you could get a better wig and a wig cap, you can see your hair...or maybe its a shadow. *shrug* Good job too. ^-^

cutekawaii
01-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Rikku's shirt is a little more cut off at the shoulders.

Miaka No Baka
01-04-2004, 11:45 PM
and btw?? What flap are you guys talking about with Inuyasha. ^^;? I have been planning an Inuyahsa costume and I'm a lil' nervous now X-x;; could someone show me ^^??

Get a picture of inu yasha where he's not covering his chest. His top is like a haori (robe top) but it's got this little flap that covers the opening parts of the robe and ties on the other side. Kinda hard to describe so best is to look at a picture of it ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

nyamiko_chan
01-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh really T_____T nuu fair..I wish someone would have told me long ago because I cut it out like I saw ^^;; I've never seen it tied in the back tho...but oh well thanks..even tho I'm off topic ._.;;

Miaka No Baka
01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
oh no it doesn't tie in the back it just goes across like from the left side to the right side.

Miaka no Baka

Ryukka
01-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Wow I realllly like your Sesshoumaru and Rikku. The only thing that I sujest about the Rikku is that the green bands on the arm look a little to big. You did an excalent job on all of them ^_^ awsome work!

shdwstrm
02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Again, I thank everyone for thier opinions.
I'm currently working on 3 costumes right now
1. a gothic costume
2. Kula Diamond from KOF
3. Uran from Astroboy

I'm also going to be making 4 of the 5 Tokyo Mew Mew Costumes for another convention this year.

I'll post pics of thise costumes as I progress with them