PDA

View Full Version : New Cosplay Prop Policy.

Cyn
01-03-2004, 03:13 AM
A mod may want to sticky this. This e-mail is from head of the security staff at Katsucon detailing the new prop and weapon policy for Katsucon that has yet to be updated on the website.

Dear <My name here, editted out>,

Thank you for your email. No special permission is required for any prop. The problem is that a few of the prop weapons policies have been changed for this convention, however the website has not yet been updated in this area. Costume swords, staves & similar weapons will be permitted at Katsucon 10, however they still cannot be made of metal, but woods stronger than balsa are acceptable (they may be painted, foil covered, or have other methods used to make them look real as long as the security staff can still determine that it is not). All weapons must be checked in at Security Central (the Tidewater Room) to be peace tied & recorded (a copy of this email is not necessary). The primary restrictions are no metal blades (metal hilts are ok), no sharp points or edges, & no guns of any kind. I know the "no guns" policy may seem annoying, but this is due to the Virginia State Silhouette law. Basically this law means that a police officer who sees anyone with an object which has a gun silhouette (or shape) is legally permitted to shoot that person.

Also remember the rules are different if you intend to enter the cosplay (http://www.katsucon.org/Katsu10/cosplay.php) then you may have more realistic weapons (including prop guns), with some restrictions. You may only have it with you on your way to & from the cosplay, and you may only have it out while you are on stage. The prop must be taken back to your room immediately afterwards.

I hope that answers your question, and if you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to contact me again. Also you may speak to me directly at the convention if you wish, just come to Security Central & ask for me.

- Rafe Gegenheimer
Chief of Security
Katsucon Entertainment Inc.

I hope this e-mail helps take away some of the fears in the other thread about cosplay props and weapons.

otakutre
01-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I have a friend with a prop sword made of foam core and duct tape... that sounds okay. But I'm a little worried about this "no guns" rule and law. Hopefully the fact that my Ulala gun look slike a bubble gun that is shiny and bright blue will allow me to keep it. I'd hate to have to ditch such a beautiful commissioned prop from PikminLink. ;_;

Cyn
01-03-2004, 11:34 PM
It makes me happy too ^_^ Now I'll have an Oblivion...If it'll be done by then. o.o

trigunvash
01-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I suggest anyone planning to make a prop sword following those guidlines print that email out, so if anyone questions you about it, you'll have a backup reference.

Aer
01-04-2004, 01:29 AM
I emailed them about my props also.

Including my Tetsusaiga, which is 5 feet in length, made out of a cardboard/masking tape base, then papier mache'd. They replied saying that should be fine, just bring it to security for inspection after I get my badge.

I will be printing the email out incase I find I need it.

lunasreincarnat
01-04-2004, 05:05 AM
im glad they are being less strict with weapons... still means no battle axe at katsu for me :(... i emailed them about my prop ( somewhat harmless) and they said it was ok... i still dont want it peace bonded... it ruins photos -.-

Cyn
01-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Then maybe someone can tell me...What exactly is Peace Bonded?

RX 03
01-04-2004, 10:11 AM

I don't know about Katsu, but at AX/Otakon, they put a strap or something of the like around the main part (ie, when it was my keblade, they but it right where it connected to the handle)

CHAOS
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
wow, more easy yet more harsh on the policy. I am ok according to the rules cause I don't require a sword or gun. :p

lunasreincarnat
01-04-2004, 10:41 PM

they take a strip of like pink plastic stuff and just tie it to a part of the prop so the staffers can see its been checked.

they are letting weapons made of stuff other then blasa wood! they are starting to be kinda cool with the rules ^.^

kerochan
01-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Thank goodness the prop policy has been modified. So I gues that means that I can bring my staff with me!

ThatYaoiBoy
01-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Last year they just put a string on my sword.

Neko Cathy
01-05-2004, 03:22 PM
<<I know the "no guns" policy may seem annoying, but this is due to the Virginia State Silhouette law. Basically this law means that a police officer who sees anyone with an object which has a gun silhouette (or shape) is legally permitted to shoot that person.>>
... does this also mean I can't make my fingers into a gun shape :p

trigunvash
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Its katsucon's interpretation of the law.

Its meant to be, if some criminal is using something that looks like a gun and points it at people or police that the police can shoot him.

However in my research, I have found nothing on the Virginia State Police website, or the Code of Virginia (laws), nor any Arlington County regulations. If someone can point me out to more information on the Silhouette law, that would be helpful.

rainbowflavored
01-06-2004, 05:42 PM
what about a flail? i'm going as go-go yubari, and my flail/mace is made of a wooden ball painted silver but the chain attached to it is made of metal... is that appropriate?

Oshi
01-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Crap on a cracker! That means I CAN have my sword for Roy!

...the amount of time I have to work on this costume just got a LOT slimmer T_T;

DigitalCactus
01-07-2004, 02:42 AM
dammit. I'm going to look like an ass in my Gungrave costume without my guns. Thank you State of Virginia.[/sarcasm]

Raine
01-09-2004, 09:59 PM
...well, that sort of ruins the whole GUNNER Paine costume. u_u; Maybe I can make her default sword and pose with it.. but still... it's frickin GUNNER Paine. x___x;;;

Stupid Virginia laws. ;-;

T4uRu$k4tt
01-10-2004, 12:38 AM
hm...i'm trying to figure out...well..if a metal pole counts as a metal weapon...or...if a metal *hilt* is okay...it's only aluminum....ah, who am i kidding? i'm bringing it regardless anyway.

madhatterr104
01-11-2004, 09:58 AM
what about studs and spikes??
filth kyo's megaphone requires 1" tree spikes..do u think that counts as a weapon? its not like im going to attack someone with a megaphone or my choker and bracelet o.o;

DigitalCactus
01-14-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm still pissed. All of Grave's poses involve his guns. How the hell am I going to pull this off now? I dont even have his coffin made.

Niku-Sama
01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Does this mean I can have my cannon for my cosplay??

hyper o^.^o
01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Oh well... guess I won't bother fixing my stungun...
at AMA they almost didn't let me carry it around because of that law... they said it looked too real. *points to her stungun* Who has a REAL gun like that?! With smiley faces on the end, no less? O.o

Kusanagi
01-31-2004, 06:57 PM
I can't take my 99 cent plastic toy uzi with the humongous orange tip?

Damn...I'll bring it anyway and take it back to the room if there are any problems.

aku
02-01-2004, 11:07 AM
I can't take my 99 cent plastic toy uzi with the humongous orange tip?

I was just about to ask that.

Yeah, it sucks that we can't have any guns in Katsucon. And the fact that I have to actually enter their Cosplay event just to have it out....oh well. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Lady Ava
02-01-2004, 02:33 PM
I can have my gunblade for Squall this time! yayness!

*hugs her gunblade*

nachtinis
02-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Well the gun thing is a very important issue, b/c at any time there may be an emergengy where the authorities may have to do a "sweep" of the facility in an emergency. Since emergencies happen all the time and no one can predict them...

But there is a second issue which must be understood, if the con was at a closed facility where the only people who were there con members, then security would allow more because of a predicate screening. But this is a hotel and we have "civvies" to worry about as well.

Nowadays and as always, guns come in many shapes and sizes and for an officers and others protection if you cannot readily tell that what someone has in their hand is a deadly weapon within 21ft (rule of thomb for most law enfocement) then IT IS. For the person making that assumption it means life or death.
If you have a gun-like object or are unsure and confronted with an officer of the law IMMEDIATLY drop it and put your hands out to the side. DO NOT HESITATE. Hesitation WILL get you shot, (some authorities do not negotiate).
*Officers have to make a quick decision over life or death whether or not you mean them deadly harm, make the choice easy for them and yourself, just give up.

Thats the jist of the Sillouhette laws. This is all an instance of confrontation, it may seem harmless with a group of other people, but there is a story behind my meaning.

I am in the L/E community and i have had training in the law and confrontation issues.
I know from first hand b/c i have looked down the barrel of an officer who thought i had a gun once. It was not a gun, but a toy, but the officer couldnt tell, he said "Drop it" and i did and i am alive and so are my freinds, we were filming a student film about crime in small towns. The one mistake we made was not priorly telling law inforcement that we were filming in such a venue. They came looking for us because WE SCARED THE HECK OUT OF A CROWD OF PEOPLE JUST A PLAYGROUND AWAY.

The thing is that if the convention notifies law officials the there may be hundreds of people that could concievably have gun-like objects in a public place they would say "no-way" it sjust too many variable uncertainties.

But im not for the type of control that restricts freedom, you just haveta think about the BIG picture.

I hope i help to enlighten some, i do not mean to make folks angry, just trying to explain things from the Officer's point of view.

Catboi Blues
02-02-2004, 02:51 AM
DigitalCactus, here's another way to look at things.

You're planning on dressing as Grave. Think what a (mundane)cop is going to think when he comes into the hotel and sees all these weirdos(us) going around all over the place and then he sees an imposing dark figure dressed like Grave, Alucard or even Vash(just as examples) pointing these huge hand cannons around? We're cosplayers. What does that mean to the cop? Most likely that we're a bunch of oddballs with a few screws loose(as opposed to the fandom inclined) and they might even be intimidated by it. Just to be on the safeside, let's keep the shoot out of photoshoot.

On another note, as I believe someone else brought up before there shouldn't be anything wrong with hotel room photo ops.

trigunvash
02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
You have to be an idiot to point anything at a law enforcment officer, they can shoot you for going at them with a stick. Doesn't matter if its a gun or not. So if they are going to ban weapons ban all forms of weapons, its just interpretation. BTW the law is meant for criminals, just because they see doesn't mean they can shoot you on the spot, it means if you use it in a threating manner then they can pop a cap in ya. Just like how law enforcement can't shoot a fleeing suspect, because he is fleeing he isn't posing a danger unless he's holding an Uzi or running into a school zone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Arlington County statute (its not VA law, its County), but its all a matter of interpretation. Obviously Katsuon has interpreted it in its way, fine, its their convention.

nachtinis
02-02-2004, 03:42 PM
dont be quick to judge, remember the reason Law enforcement would be ther ein the first plac emust be considered. Casually, no a Officer wouldnt consider a passerby in an even like this with his prop to be hostile.

Consider that they have had much more training than the average person:
1. must be aware of their surroundings in detailed manner.
2. must be able to assess any threat within his/her visual range at all times.
3. must be able to discern (usually in tenths of a second) any possibility of injusry to himself and others.

These things go through every officers mind whenever the interact with any individual while on and sometimes off duty. Remember, they dont know you.

Another thing to consider is that an on duty officer is probably there for a reason and will most likely be the only time where the "law" issue comes into play. Its that reason that the con doesnt want a possible issue and get kicked out of the city, kicked out of a hotel is bad, but the law enforcement has the right to do these things to protect others and themselves.

Also say someone gets drunk and scares the crap out of someone who is unaware of an event (like on thursday) they will complain to someone and there is a total can of worms to deal with then charges could be brought up, the hotel would be responsible. This issue brings up CIVIL law and in civil law, anyone remotely connected is affected.

Im not trying to be an a$$ but things arent always like your back yard.

And if i was in what i determined to be a hostile situation or confronted with such, engadged in it or not and i see ANYONE with a gunlike object or unknown object, and it is my duty do "serve and protect" emhpasis on protect here, then i most certainly would treat that person as armed and dangerous and deploy any means neccesary to meet or exceed the force that I would perceive.

But alot of people here seemed to be focused on the even and not the aftermath, either way, there will be questions asked to people in charge and big wigs, and policies made and things just snowball.

The-Real-Link
02-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, I've had a change in plans and so sadly must decline going to this year's Katsucon. I wasn't certain about it but I've had a couple things come up so I will just have to sit this one out (which may be better afterall). My appologizes but I can see how Tekkoshocon ? works out coming up. That's also in Pennsylvania and it could work out better for me anyway. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Anyone wishing, we can always chat about it more later on. Hope everyone still has a super fun time though! :)

MBC Hoshi-kun
02-08-2004, 02:17 PM
OK, I have a question... I'm cosplaying Heero Yuy, and yeah, he has a gun... but i'm not planning on bringing one bc of this rule... But I was wondering (as ghetto as it sounds) what if i had a black glove (or even without the glove) on with my fingers in a "gun" shape, for pics only? would that still be considered a "threat" or just a gesture? O_o if it'll be a problem I won't do it but... yah, photo ops... want to look at least a little authentic...

nachtinis
02-08-2004, 04:53 PM
OK, I have a question... I'm cosplaying Heero Yuy, and yeah, he has a gun... but i'm not planning on bringing one bc of this rule... But I was wondering (as ghetto as it sounds) what if i had a black glove (or even without the glove) on with my fingers in a "gun" shape, for pics only? would that still be considered a "threat" or just a gesture? O_o if it'll be a problem I won't do it but... yah, photo ops... want to look at least a little authentic...

Yes you are allowed to do that,
I however would take issue with some thing if i had a weapon and kept it holstered the whole time, after all, its your hands that are considered to be the deciding factor in a pressing situation as far as the law goes, and someone was to speak to me about that issue, id cram it right up their...