PDA

View Full Version : Suu from Clover

Tenshi
01-03-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm bored. Critique my costume for me, please? ^^

I'm dressed as Suu from CLAMP's best (IMHO) work, Clover. I know I look kinda goofy as Suu, but please critique the costume, not the model ^^;;.

A few pics from my camera are in my photo album (just clickie my name and View Member Photo Gallery or somesuch). Some other pics (taken with a higher-quality camera) are in my friend Jess the Kitty's gallery here: http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=6305&ppuser=1260&password=&page=1

I'm definitely going to make some improvements to this costume before I wear it next (AX04). I'm curious to know if anyone sees errors that I don't.

Thanks to all ^_^.

Hanyaan
01-03-2004, 08:12 PM
The wig is quite nice, no problems there. The wings look a trifle odd from the front, but from the back they're gorgeous! I'm not sure the white part should have been in satin, and I think it should be a bit more tailored to your body, but it still looks nice. As for the boots, this is one of those times where I think Doc Marten-style boots are completely appropriate. When you take pictures, make sure to pull up your gloves all the way before the pic is taken. I love your gold belt; it's probably my favorite part of your costume.

Tenshi
01-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Thankies ^^. I definitely plan on taking in that shirt -- it's way too huge. And I had an absolute pile of Casa satin that was originally a hideous Chii dress. I probably would have made the outfit out of something more matte had I not posessed this fabric, but nothing beats free XD.

Dia
01-03-2004, 11:01 PM
First off, I'd like to commend you for cosplaying Suu, because Clover is a beautiful manga and I always love seeing costumes from it. And also, I'm a Suu cosplayer myself ^_^ (I have a few pictures in my gallery - I'd love to have some comments from another Suu)

Lovely job overall - I like your interpretation of the wings, and how you incorperated both black and white, like many of Suu's costumes do. Also, I also had to use Casa satin for my Suu because it was all I could find suitable at the time, so I can't chastise you for that. Nice job on the mandarin collar, also - very polished.

I think HanyaanFaery covered most of the issues - I would also definitely suggest tailoring the bodice area a bit closer to the body, as most of Suu's outfits are well-fitted. Depending on how much renovation you're planning, you may want to redo the gold trim with some piping, to give it more dimension. (However, you'll likely have to make your own with piping core and fabric like I did, so I can understand if you'd rather not, as it takes forever).

Quite nice - I'm (sort of) working on another Suu at the moment, and if I ever wear it to a con where you wear yours, I'll definitely want a photo together ^_^

Tenshi
01-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I really wanted to put a nicer trim and more details on the skirt, but you can't beat gold lame bias tape while on a budget ^^;;. If I can afford it in the future I definitely will change it.

As for your costume -- I love it! The detail on your wings is beautiful, and I think the skirt is my favorite part. The details and the hoopskirt make it really stand out (ouch. . .pun not intended). I have trouble finding anything constructive to say, except that it looks like you're having a hard time balancing your wings in some pictures. After wearing my wings for 10 hours straight, I can't pick on you too much about that :D.

Dia
01-05-2004, 10:57 PM
*laughs* That's mostly because when I made those, I more or less had no idea what I was doing. They weren't terribly stable, but hey, they looked alright ^_^ Thanks for the compliments!

angel_peach
01-07-2004, 04:33 PM
First off, I love the wings. They're my favorite part of your outfit. I'm curious, how did you get them to stay on, since I don't see straps or anything?

One of the first things I noticed that bothered me was that it needed to be more fitted. One other thing that I noticed was that some of the gold trim is a bit...ripply in parts. The rest of the outfit looks well sewn and the ripples kinda detract from the super job you did on the rest of it. Cutting the strips on grain or on the true bias usually fixes that problem.

But otherwise, yay, good job!

Silver Minx
01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok, first off,
Congratulations for having the guts to even attempt Suu.
I think, overall, your costume is very appealing, however, your wings are a tad undersized. But hey- how bloody heavy is it? Did you get sore after wearing them? 0_o ... I developed bruises all over my back and arms and I hit about 8 people in the head with my wings because I made them full size.

Because you have done undersized wings, I think it may have been a good idea to use thin sheet plastic (sanded, like you did with your perspex .:I think:.). It's alot lighter and cheaper. But if you went that extra mile, good on you! ^-^ It looks like your wings were a little bit blotchy, so maybe another round with the sanding. =)

I think also, more detail could have been put into your costume, like the bodice and the little extras that make Suu's costumes Suu's. You can get small, bolt-like pieces from all hardware stored, and it's just a matter of hot-glueing them to your fabric. I can see you've put some small gold pieces onto your dress, but maybe they can be more noticable.

With your bodice, you've done a really great job on it! It's nicely fitted, and you have good lining!

Overall, I'd have to say your Suu cosplay is one of the very best I've seen so far!!! Go you! ^^ And you look like her, too. Your wig was so perfect!! =D

Tenshi
01-07-2004, 09:55 PM
The bias tape wasn't made by me -- it was prepackaged stuff ^^;;. It's ripply because I had a POS sewing machine that didn't know the meaning of tension >.<. However, I have (dun dun dun) a new sewing machine! I shouldn't have that problem in the future.

Undersized? I'm kinda confused. Suu wears wings as small as a few inches (on the vol 1 cover) and as big as 2x-3x her height. I found a nice middle ground ^^;;. I really couldn't make them any bigger because I made the wings parallel to my shoulders. I guess had I made them push out from my back, I could have made them bigger, but I kinda like the parallel look ^^.

Yeah, 90% of the wings are made from Lexan (a type of plexiglas). I noticed the more I sanded those "feathers," the worse they looked. I've ran out of my 1mm Lexan, so I think I'll just keep them the way they are ^^.

I was VERY sore after wearing those wings. I had them on a total of 10 hours, and had no support other than two elastic bands. THAT'S being fixed before I wear it next ^^;;.

How the wings stay on. . .ohmigod. LOL. You don't want to know, but I'll tell you anyway. There's two holes in the back of the shirt. On the back of the wings, there are two elastic loops that go around my shoulders. I put the elastic strips around my shoulders and lay down. That's when I have my posse tie me to the wings. Yup, tie. Those black ties at the base of the wings aren't decorative ^^;;. However, this is a STUPID way to design your wings! Don't do it!

I think I covered everything ^^.

Silver Minx
01-09-2004, 04:32 AM
So you, too, were tied to your wings. >.<
I made my straps and strings tie up underneath my shirt towards the front.
You know, I think somebody ought to start a guild...

The "Let's-Find-A-Godly-Way-to-Make-Clover-Wings-That-Are-Not-Too-Heavy-And-Can-Be-Worn-For-a-Period-of-Ten-Hours-or-More-Without-Giving-One-Self-Too-Many-Bruises" guild.

... ... ... Has anyone in here made a set of wings that are medium sized or full sized which have *not* bruised them?

My doctor told me that I'm developing scoliocis and he asked me if I had been lugging around heavy materials or bags on my back during the last couple of months. Sheesh... Who would have thought that cosplaying as Sue would have screwed up my spine like that? I don't think anybody should attempt Clover wings unless they know they can keep up with the weight and can take them off every now and then. That's just a handy peice of advice.

Tenshi
01-09-2004, 11:13 AM
My wings are actually very light (all plastic, baybee! rawr), and I actually wasn't bruised one bit from them. I was just raw and scratched from the elastic straps. I think I just need to make a harness that's NOT stretchy, and I'll be cool ^^.

I think it's hilarious that I'm not the only person who had to be tied to my wings.

Dia
01-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Silver Minx - actually, I walked away from 8 or so hours in my Suu wings unscathed and unbruised, though a bit sore. ^^ I, for one, think we should start a "Who-Managed-To-Poke-A-Whole-Lot-Of-People-In-The-Eye-With-Her-Wings" guild.

Tenshi
01-10-2004, 11:54 AM
LOL, I whacked a few people (and a few doors) with my wings. But most of my time was spent with my arms straight out, begging people not to bump into the wings. I fear to know how many people would have been injured had I not done that XD.

Sorahana
01-10-2004, 11:57 AM
I absolutely love your costume. It is very good! The wings are so cool and the pictures are so pretty! I love it! Keep up the great work ^o^.