PDA

View Full Version : Judging?

Masako
01-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Asking for opinions on what judging criteria should be for masquerades. I've been asked to judge a masquerade in Malaysia and it's one of my first few tries at judging. I have some basic ideas but I just wanted to ask around first.

Miaka No Baka
01-04-2004, 12:43 PM
What type of judging are you doing? Craftsmanship where you get up close and see how good (or bad) a costume was constructed? Or are you sitting in the audience and are supposed to judge as the person comes out onstage? If it's craftsmanship you should take into account how well it was sewn, were edges finished and hemmed. The overall look of the costume, how close it looks to the original thing.

if you're judging while they're onstage and the people are performing little skits you also have to judge the skit. That's kinda personal on how you choose to judge it cause it's more of a think of if it appealed to you or not. For the costume part it's just how well it looks, if there's a skit does the costume character fit into the skit. It all depends on how things look to you. Even on stage you should still be able to tell if it was made well or not. Granted you can't see if seams were finished or if it was lined or what not but if it doesn't drape well on the person or isn't fitted properly it should still be obvious.

Miaka no Baka

Masako
01-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Judging is probably done when their onstage. I don't think Malaysia is quite ready to erm have craftmanship judging as cosplay is extremly new to the country. Thanks for your comments ^_^