PDA

View Full Version : FMA Alphonse Elric Pepakura Files

PepMaster
02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
I know there's a lot of people here who are into the Fullmetal Alchemist series, and a lot more people that have been looking for a way to make Big Al Elric. So a while back I worked on these pepakura files, which I obtained the 3D Model of Big Al from Roxas358. Then I set off unfolding the model to the scale for a 6 foot tall person. If you need to resize it and if you have Pepakura Designer the password for the files is 72110.

You can get the files from my site or the Tamasoft Pepakura Gallery. My site is located at http://pepakuraindex.weebly.com the photo of the half built Alphonse belongs to Zacic of the 405th Forums. Enjoy.

http://i44.tinypic.com/10mqyk0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/34h8909.jpg

PepMaster
02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
No comment's yet? Wow.

robert-heck
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Looks nice, though I want to say a bit small but that could just be because I have nothing to base scale off of that has a common finite size.

PepMaster
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah I am probably off on scale for a couple pieces of the files for the suit.

Stina006
02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
my god this is extremely helpful. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Um...How do I actually see them? XD

PepMaster
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
You will need pepakura designer (if you need to change the size) and/or pepakura viewer.

phreak_inc
02-15-2012, 02:00 AM
I do have one question as I will be buidling the hell out of this model this weekend. It's all based on paper, what can you do to reinforce the structure? Do I have to cover the entire thing with craft foam, or should i put wiring over it? Any ideas on this?

I'm seriously considering building this alongside my current project. (and i'm 6"4' so I'm going to check how this fits)

PepMaster
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Most pepakura makers coat the outside with resin and the inside with fiberglass. After that they coat the outside with bondo and do a lot of sanding. But if you check on Zacic's topic on the 405th.com he is building the suit with Craft and EVA foam, which would save you from having to mess with the sticky smelly fiberglass and the pain of sanding the bondo.

dalbkino
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Awesome! thank you so much for making those pepakura files! XD

PepMaster
02-22-2012, 02:54 AM
No problem, I think I even have a file somewhere for Edward's Automail Arm, it's not 100% accurate, but if anyone is intrested let me know and I'll put it up. I think it's a little odd this thread has over 400 views and only 8 posts (well 9 counting this one)

Melrajas
02-23-2012, 05:46 AM
i want to make the same cosplay. i will follow this method;

1) i will print the pdo files using pepakura designer(although i dont know exactly how to scale them and which paper size i should print to)
2) i will put paper patterns to cardboard and cut them
3) Combine and hot glued parts
4) apply body filler to outer surface
5) sanding
6) painting

all i want to ask is that can this method work to make a good Al's armor? Can you suggest anything else. This will be my first armor craft. Also i have been thinking about Goldy's Alphonse elric armor tutorial. He used different materials like polyurethan foam some adhesives and vinyl. should i use these materials and start from 2nd step above.

Thanks...

PepMaster
02-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Well the cardboard would work as well, but one of the members (Zacic) on the 405th.com is using EVA Foam.

dalbkino
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
yay! I've put together the helmet and the chest armor (as far as cutting and gluing the cardstock)! Now onto the shoulders and bicep armor XD

Mehdia
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
This is going to help me so much! My brother has started doing pepakura and loves it and we've got a friend that has wanted to cosplay Al for years but we just never could exactly get a game plan for it. He's about 6'4", so we will have to scale it to him, but it will be so useful. Thanks!

Melrajas
03-12-2012, 03:05 AM
i am ending with two methods eliminating the cardboard method.

1)eva foam+sealing+painting
2)vinyl over polyethylene foam

I am having trouble finding some metarials(like vinyl) in my country. Also the only pattern i have is that with pepakura designer. I dont have any talent for look and draw thing so need patterns. For pepakura patterns it is more detailed than i thought. Does anyone have patterns for Alphonse Elric armor?

PepMaster
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
@Melrajas, You might want to check with Zacic on the 405th.com forums he's been using the templates for foam, if he has the patterns then it will be easier for you. I don't think you need vinyl.
@Dalbkino, is everything coming out the right size so far for you please share a photo if you can of your progress so far.

Melrajas
03-13-2012, 12:55 AM
i find the guy at 405th.com but the website doesn't accept any registration for now so i couldn't reach him.

dalbkino
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Here's a picture thus far. :D

Photo -> http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3164225/

CreepyAkovi
04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
wow really cool!
But I wanna know for which size is the armor? And how I can build the other side of thigh and knee? >< Im new in pepakura so I donno anything XDDD

lord satsugai
04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
To Make the other side of the thigh. Go to 2D menu and click on Invert pattern. It will flip it to make the other side. Make sure you move the parts around to fit back on the paper and no pieces are over lapping.
I also started making this armor. I posted my WIP At 405th.com since i usually go to there for halo pepakura stuff and since Zacic is on that website too I figure to posted there
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36410-Satsugai-FMA-Armor-WIP(pic-heavy)

Thank you PepMaster for posting these files

CreepyAkovi
04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Thx this helped me a lot! But for which part is the "ab plate" I donno where I can use it. Im not so good in english ><

E. Hyde
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I am starting work on this too, thanks so much for providing the files PepMaster! Here is my build thread over on the rpf. (http://www.therpf.com/f24/alphonse-elric-armor-fma-my-first-pep-145845/) It might be somewhat slow going as I have a lot of different projects I'm working on.

PepMaster
05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
So far all your builds look excellent. I find it strange that this thread has over 2k views, but only 21, well 22 replies.

NerogowZero
05-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey man... Your pepakura file is so good (better than my english :DD)

I want to make this cosplay, and your pdo is the best that I have find... But I have a problem, I want to scale the papercraft with pepakura designer... And the software ask me for a password...

So... Can you send me the password by private?? (I swear... I dont want to stole your pdo... Im noob for that things haha)

So... Beforehand, thanks... ;)

PepMaster
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
The password is right in the file description on the site, 72110.

dalbkino
06-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I started hardening the helmet and a couple other pieces.

Picture -> http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3222518/

PepMaster
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Looking excellent. Just a tip don't use cloth, go ahead and rondo the inside with two coats and it's as strong as a casting.

tntent
07-05-2012, 03:41 AM
i just got back from my first anime convention. I took my 13 year old daughter there as her welcome to being a teen birthday present just father and daughter hanging out doing big people stuffs.. She cosplayed red riding hood.. I know not much of a stretch, but next year we are going to go all out! I am going to attempt to build an Alphonse setup and the edward arm for my middle daughter. Thank god im 6'4". On that note in pep how do i scale for a guy my height? Anyone got any links to a tutorial on that plz? The one i found well it doesn't seem to match my version.

PS dalbkino ty for the answer on your youtube page to my question for the pep files!!!!!

PepMaster
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
As for scaling it to your own height I suggest this. Measure the width of your chest, now add a couple inches to the measurement (for padding, etc.). Convert the inches over to millimeters. Input that into the Width Field of the Chest File. Now at the bottom you should have a Scale Factor copy that and paste it into the factor filed for the other files. I believe I scaled the files uniform so they should all have the same scale factor.

Shadonyx
07-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey Ihave a problem. every time i click on the link its says that the website is not funtional. So I cant get to the files. Do you know whats wrong?

Tathar
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm having the same problem, but I didn't want to be the first one to say so for fear of being condemned for reviving a thread, even if it isn't that old, haha. I'd really like access to these now it's summer and I've got lots of time to work on something like this.

PepMaster
07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
My site is currently down for re-construction. It was hacked and closed, so I've been working to get everything going again. Until then you can still get the files from the Tamasoft Pepakura Gallery.

TubaHero64
07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
The password isn't working for me to edit the files....

Shadonyx
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Are you by chanc going to make a file for the shoe?

PepMaster
07-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Are you hitting the Ok button or the Enter key after typing the password? And no I'm not going to do a file for the shoe.

SoraSkellington
07-15-2012, 01:33 AM
I am doing this build. As of now, i am onto the Finishing stage, i'm doing final smoothing now for the entire suit, The helmet is already primed. After monday, i will be uploading progress photos to my cosplay.com page. I do have slight critiques on the file, such as the accuracy of the main body piece, lack of a few pieces, and scaling. But overall the build has been great! it made an amazing base for my suit! I'll be showing the suit off at Tokyo in Tulsa, GlitchCon, and Konsplosion this year. Thanks for the files man!

PepMaster
07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Wish I could be at Glitch Con this year, I went last year and had a lot of fun. I'm guessing you're somewhere around the Bentonville area, if so I'm only about 3 hours south of you in Morrilton.

PepMaster
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Scaling is a bit akward, for the body build for Alphonse and trying to get it perfectly right for a human was a pain, I understand on the missing parts, there was supposed to be a part at the top of the chest where the helmet is but I removed it for ease of head turning. And yeah with the model being from the Fullmetal Alchemist game it lacked a good amount of detail I wish I could have added.

Kaito.95
07-29-2012, 08:55 AM
im an absolute noob at this whole make your own cosplay thing but i really want to make this cosplay for the Australian avcon next year, i have plenty of time to do it but i want to make a start now. ive read through all the post's on this thread thus far and i still dont understand how to properly scale the armour to my body size let alone even find a printer big enough to print paper big enough to make any of the parts. i dont know how well this community treats noobs but if anyone can help me at all it would be greatly appreciated

utakumom
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I am planning on making this cosplay for my son who is 6ft3in and 400lbs. How would I modify your pep instructions to make the Alphonse armour? I have never done anything like this before. I also need to create the arm armour for Ed so my daughter can be the brother. They will be attending the Otakon in 2013.

PepMaster
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Kaito and Utakumom you need the Pepakura Designer program to open, upscale or downscale the armor to the size you want. Once you have the program measure your chest width and input it into the Scale for the Chest Armor width. Now the very bottom number on the scaling you should see is scale factor after you change the size of the chest copy that scale ratio number over to the other files. Now you will need to move the parts around back onto the pages within the dotted lines, because changing the size of the patterns will move the parts.

kinpachiwonabe
08-10-2012, 12:27 PM
thank you so much for your help i am starting to make this and the info you posted made the sizeing so simple i will post how it is going and again thank you so much for your help

PepMaster
01-13-2013, 12:20 AM
No problem and good luck with your build.

data54
01-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Anyone know what the scaling is on this or the height of it unaltered?

Thanks

PepMaster
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Should be scaled fine for someone about 6 feet tall.

data54
02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Should be scaled fine for someone about 6 feet tall.

Thanks, already made most of the head, but one problem I ran into was that some parts of it had no connection edges (horn, face mask, rings on side of head), did you just eye-ball and glue them or did you do something else?

PepMaster
02-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Just eyeball and glue. Most have left the faceplate seperate but glued the horn. Used magnets for the face to take it off while costuming. Not many have left that area where the ear is on the file, most have taken it off so it's easier to get your head in. It's all about doing it your way. Use your imagination.

data54
02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Just eyeball and glue. Most have left the faceplate seperate but glued the horn. Used magnets for the face to take it off while costuming. Not many have left that area where the ear is on the file, most have taken it off so it's easier to get your head in. It's all about doing it your way. Use your imagination.

Cool, thanks, didn't even think of making the faceplate detachable, guess that would make wiring it up a lot easier

DeadMime
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
so I am getting ready to start making an alphones armor and I need to scale it to 6''5' but I don't quite no how to use go about it. any answers?

DeadMime
06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
i just got back from my first anime convention. I took my 13 year old daughter there as her welcome to being a teen birthday present just father and daughter hanging out doing big people stuffs.. She cosplayed red riding hood.. I know not much of a stretch, but next year we are going to go all out! I am going to attempt to build an Alphonse setup and the edward arm for my middle daughter. Thank god im 6'4". On that note in pep how do i scale for a guy my height? Anyone got any links to a tutorial on that plz? The one i found well it doesn't seem to match my version.

PS dalbkino ty for the answer on your youtube page to my question for the pep files!!!!!

Do u think u could give me ur measurements? I am 5"11' and I want to make mine 6"5'. This will give me at least a base to start off of tnx:)

acapote
09-04-2013, 07:28 AM
No problem, I think I even have a file somewhere for Edward's Automail Arm, it's not 100% accurate, but if anyone is intrested let me know and I'll put it up. I think it's a little odd this thread has over 400 views and only 8 posts (well 9 counting this one)

Hello, awesome the pepakura for Alphonse armor!!!, I'm really intrested in the file for Edward's Automail arm, do you still have it? please, let me know.

Regards genius!:bigtu:

StHoly
01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you so much for this files! May I know if i can make it out of foam? (maybe 1 inch thick type of foam?)

PepMaster
01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't have a file for the Automail arm sorry, And as for building the armor out of foam I believe it's possible, but probably not that thick of foam for doing the helmet I would recommend something about 5mm thick.

PepMaster
01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
And as for scaling, the way I was taught to scale is to measure your chest width add a couple inches convert to millimeters, put the number in the Width field on the Chest file and copy the Scale Ratio number for scaling the other files proportionate to the rest.

dirtyvictim
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
I've always wanted to cosplay but i have limited funds and no talent in sowing. I just found out about the wonderful use of pepakura and papercrafts. I'm currently building this and I'm done with the helmet, chest and one full arm in card-stock. I was wondering how to add the ab plate or if it's even needed. Connecting the shoulder has been causing me problems, but that's more of a trial and error situation. I'm most curious how to connect everything since the pieces on the arm keep trying to slide down on me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a complete noob at this stuff.