PDA

View Full Version : Action-Like Areas in NYC?

Akune-chan
02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
(man, I am horrible at coming up with titles)

Hallo guys :D!

I am looking for a few places that would be good for action like shots for animes like Naruto, Black Butler and Yugioh in the NYC area.

I know Jacob Javits might be a good place for a Yugioh Photoshoot but I am unsure about the others.
Central Park is a bit too crowded for my taste (I am kind of shy when going out in cosplay when its not for a convention or Japan Day, 'specially in my Orochimaru cosplay then there are those people that just stare...) so I was wondering if any one knows about any places that would provide a nice background for Naruto, Black Butler, or Yugioh (that are not really that crowded).

Thank you for all of your help!

I would be willing to travel upstate maybe, but I would only do that if it is absolutely necessary. :)
And if anyone knows about any places that would let people up on roofs or something would be nice too.

Any ideas?

hikaru2322
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
If you're looking for a place in the city, most of the time, you might just have to walk around to find something.

There ARE some days in Central Park/some areas that aren't too crowded.

It all just depends on what day it is and where/how long you're willing to walk around.

likewarmtea
03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Like hikaru2322 said, you can probably just walk around & find great places.
If Central Park isn't your thing than you can always go to Prospect Park. There are some really nice places there for photoshoots, and they're usually not crowded.
The botanical garden has some nice places too, especially during sakura season, so you could probably go there during Sakura Matsuri~

Akune-chan
03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
If you're looking for a place in the city, most of the time, you might just have to walk around to find something.

There ARE some days in Central Park/some areas that aren't too crowded.

It all just depends on what day it is and where/how long you're willing to walk around.

But where/what streets should I be walking around in? I don't mind walking around in cosplay when I am with a group of people but I really don't want people to start thinking that I am strange or whatever if I am walking about in front of a church with a large buttbow hitting everyone (unwillingly, of course) xD;

Like hikaru2322 said, you can probably just walk around & find great places.
If Central Park isn't your thing than you can always go to Prospect Park. There are some really nice places there for photoshoots, and they're usually not crowded.
The botanical garden has some nice places too, especially during sakura season, so you could probably go there during Sakura Matsuri~

OO! I'll check out Prospect Park and see who would like to join me to go there. I never personally been there myself so Idk.
Neither have I been to the botanical garden :0

Lucid_Enigma
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
The area and walkway around the Intrepid is a good spot for that. Perhaps some areas in South Street Seaport as well. I also find that Central Park has some great locations especially near the lakes.

Akune-chan
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
The area and walkway around the Intrepid is a good spot for that. Perhaps some areas in South Street Seaport as well. I also find that Central Park has some great locations especially near the lakes.

I actually never thought about the Intrepid location! :O It sounds awesome!

And this is going to sound stupid; there are lakes in Central Park? Wtf where are they hiding??? D8

Sampatches
03-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Socrates Sculpture Park (in Astoria, take the N/Q to Broadway), Astoria Park, The Highline, Coney Island (especially around this time, it's pretty dead in the off season)

Cherry Hill is a gorgeous spot in Central Park and usually isn't that crowded. The Waldorf Astoria lobby would be nice for some Black Butler photos, not sure what their policy on pics is tho.

Fort Tryon Park in Washington Heights has some great locations as well

Akune-chan
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Socrates Sculpture Park (in Astoria, take the N/Q to Broadway), Astoria Park, The Highline, Coney Island (especially around this time, it's pretty dead in the off season)

Cherry Hill is a gorgeous spot in Central Park and usually isn't that crowded. The Waldorf Astoria lobby would be nice for some Black Butler photos, not sure what their policy on pics is tho.

Fort Tryon Park in Washington Heights has some great locations as well

Awesome! Thank you very much for the suggestions!

BruisedBlood
03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
i live around NYC! i could take u guys to a few awesome places :3

Akune-chan
03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
i live around NYC! i could take u guys to a few awesome places :3

That would be awesome! :D

BruisedBlood
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
That would be awesome! :D

then its a deal =)

maiamaychan
05-10-2012, 02:25 PM
well in my expirence for a black butler theme there are some awsome cathedral like theres one by 116 on the west side i forgot the ave but it is definatly in the columbia university, speaking of which that place has an old vibe feel perfect for black butler there are also the island you can vist like wards island certain area there have a forrest feel with a complete view of the water for the nartuo shoots and theres this place in china town its a ally way for yet again black butler im not a photographer but these are place i would recomend

Akune-chan
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
well in my expirence for a black butler theme there are some awsome cathedral like theres one by 116 on the west side i forgot the ave but it is definatly in the columbia university, speaking of which that place has an old vibe feel perfect for black butler there are also the island you can vist like wards island certain area there have a forrest feel with a complete view of the water for the nartuo shoots and theres this place in china town its a ally way for yet again black butler im not a photographer but these are place i would recomend

You would think that they would allow people to just waltz right in and take photos at Columbia? That place is just amazing ; 3 ;.

Ward's Island? I never heard of a place like that. :0

And where in China town are you talking about? ;o

maiamaychan
05-21-2012, 06:45 PM
well there is this ally way in china town a little ways dwon from mcdonaldsum at columbia im really not sure but there has been cases wher i just waltz in and chilled at the grass if not just talk to a few students there they are kind enough to help you plus there always the court houses at the brooklyn bridge which has the black butler fell and chesy peirs has some epic spots aswell im planing to do a photoshoot there soon XD

Akune-chan
05-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Okay!
When you get an exact location be sure to send the address my way!
:D

maiamaychan
06-05-2012, 08:57 PM
ok no problem

jadelotus
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't mind Central Park and has a lot of places to do a shoot...but I was there for Japan Day and some of people who cosplayed as ninjas and the Akatsuki, from what I heard, were being questioned by police. One of them did actually get chased down, though I can't confirm it. Plus some of them had legit weaponry like the nunchucks and the like. No swords, of course, but still.

Akune-chan
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Thats my main issue with CP.

Police.

I know there will be one person who will call the police if they see a group of people wearing similar headbands/clothing thinking that its some sort of cult.

Ravenclaw_NYC
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Don't ever be afraid of being told not to shoot in NYC. The most important thing to keep in mind is to always be professional. If cops come by, don't act freaked out. Act calm and rational. If they want to talk to you, fine, make sure you have someone acting as a rep. Explain you are not doing this as a profitable venture. You are costumed hobby'ists. 99% of the time you will be fine.

How do I know this? I run The Group That Shall Not Be Named. The NYC Harry Potter Meetup. We've had several LARGE cosplay days with around 40 or so cosplayers. We've shot in several locations in central park, including a very populated Bethesda Terrace and fountain. We were told to stop a climbing a tree and that was all.

The only location in the NYC area that ever gave us trouble was Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. They are INCREDIBLY photo restrictive, mostly because they want to profit it from it. Meanwhile our photo days in Fort Tryon had more cops wanted to pose with us then tell us to leave ;)

Sleepy Hallow Cemetery in Westchester even loved us. One of the manager stopped by to say hello.

So, long story short, be calm, be collected, be professional, and most people will leave you alone. Unless of course you are trespassing. That's a whole other story ;)

Thats my main issue with CP.

Police.

I know there will be one person who will call the police if they see a group of people wearing similar headbands/clothing thinking that its some sort of cult.

Akune-chan
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks so much!

Maybe we can tag along with you one day?

Akune-chan
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
How does one go about photo shooting in cosplay in NYC? Do you get in cosplay, hop onto a train and go or try to dress there?

sunseenli
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
For me, it depends on the costume, and what the facilities are like where I'm going. I've definitely ridden on the train in costume when going to the Jacob Javits Center for New York Comic Con, in costumes such as Rogue, or Utena--costumes that are a little eye-catching, but are mostly fabric, and don't have any breakable pieces, and are comfortable to sit and move around in. But when I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden for a photoshoot in my white rose dress for Rei, I carried the costume in a bag, and changed in one of the bathrooms there. It all depends on how comfortable you'd be, both physically and emotionally.