PDA

View Full Version : How perfectionist are you?

Ali-kun
06-04-2002, 01:03 AM
An online friend of mine (we swap anime ^_^) read my mind and suggested that we meet up at a convention next year (prolly AX) with another friend of hers and cosplay Hibiki-kun/Hibiki-sensei and Fuuko from I My Me! Strawberry Eggs, so we were babbling about the costumes...and I jokingly whined that it was annoying that the teal-ish color on Hibiki-kun's shirt was greener than Fuuko's uniform, so you couldn't just use leftover scraps for the shirt trim.

And she gave me the IM equivalent of a funny look and asked why I wouldn't do that anyway, because it would be easier. But...they are DIFFERENT colors x_@ Easy != being true to the character design (well, at least not always...it's always nice when it is, though)

Just for the sake of filling the board up with more random threads (fuahahaha!)...are a lot of you guys utter perfectionists who would rather jump from an airplane than have TWO stripes instead of THREE on your sleeve, because TWO is NOT what the character actually has? (That is a randomly generated example not based on any actual character ;P)

If anyone is...make sure to reply to this message so that I know to avoid you at all costs - you are scary!
...na, just kidding ^_^v I realized...I am happy that D-chan can't sew worth beans, because then when I make the hard bits for her that you can't buy in a normal-people clothing store, I can be as scarily-loyal-to-original as I want to be!

(Ne, isn't Strawberry Eggs a CUTE show? XD We love it! I sadly have not seen any cosplayers from it either ;_; People need to do adorably cute cosplay like that *nods*)

Ayaka
06-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Am I a perfectionist? Wahahah. HAH HAH HAH. MUAHAHA HAHAHA! *cough*

Does that answer your question? ^^ Though, time and money (not to mention gravity and other laws of physics) have not been on my side in my quest for complete accuracy. Neither have my parents. oO;;; But when these things allow, I will pursue perfection to the ends of the earth. Otherwise, I do what must be done and suffer in silence the agony of knowing something isn't quite right. ^^

I would also add, if I wasn't a perfectionist, I would have more costumes done than I do . . .

Mei Lan Chang
06-04-2002, 04:29 AM
Perfectionist? me? Noooooooooo (lying between her fangs). I have to have every little detail PERFECT on my costumes. Like the San mask I am making from Princess Mononoke. I am making the mask and ear parts out of earthen clay, firing it, then painting it with acrylic paint so it will look perfect. THEN, I'm not just using any fuzzy material for the cape part, I am actually going out and buying a real sheepskin. And to think, I wonder where all my money goes....>_<

Philia Philis
06-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Aliii, you know Erin is a perfectionist, ne ne ne? I'm still griping about my Vincent wig not being the right shade of blonde. *shakes fist*
But you don't get to avoid me! *grabs her arm and refuses to let go* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD

Use the right colors! Only the right colors!

Lady Somairot
06-04-2002, 10:28 AM
*sigh* i know the feeling of.. oh.. everyone who posted on this thread. i'm entirely too much of a perfectionist, which is really annoying since i have no money right now and am working on a costume *shakes fists* darn those infernal tourists not giving me more tips!!! >_<

i don't, however, think there is anything wrong with being such an insane perfectionist. it shows that you really care about what you're doing, so much so that you'll not sacrifice the integrity of the costume for less time/effort. @_@ take this for a very silly example:

my Lulu skirt and arms's lace is a dead match with the real FFX character. i had to view pictures at ungodly sizes and then draw out the patterns of the sleeve bottom, belt top, AND the trim along the bottom with the big circle things. how did i make the pattern? only the most TIME CONSUMING and ridiculous way i knew possible -- i hand embroidered it. cos i'm stupid. o_O though even there there's a problem because now it's not lace, but the pattern is exact and it looks like lace-ish. if i knew any other way to have done it and still maintained the accuracy, i would have done it. but i'm a silly Lady Somairot. ^_^

so, my point is.... yay for two different green colors!!!

^_^

Medellia
06-04-2002, 11:08 AM
*lol* You guys scare me! Just kidding ^_~

I'm an ungodly perfectionist too... I had my B. Jenet dress most of the way done, when I realized it was all wrong! So now I'm starting from scratch. But, I have mixed feelings on staying close to character design. Truth be told, I like to embellish costumes with a rhinestone here, some shiny stuff there, maybe a slightly inaccurate but cool wig, simply because it gets boring seeing the same thing over again!

So I guess I'm a perfectionist when it comes to having things the way -I- want them, but I'm more linient (sp?) when it comes to staying true to the original character designs

peacecraft
06-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Its weird. I'm a perfectionist on some aspects of the costumes, but not others. It varies from costume to costume. Since I often work in volume on whole groups of costumes, I'm not really big on making stuff perfect that no one will ever see, so I cut corners on the insides of costumes and stuff. Other areas bug me big time and I'll remake them over and over again and get really frustrated.

Ina
06-04-2002, 11:55 AM
it really depends how "into" i am on working on my costume, if i just love the character to death, then i am a total perfectionist on making the costume, if i mess up on one little detail i HAVE to ethier re-make the costume or re-do that part again, plus, when people say "oh, it's perfect!", but you know in your mind, theres this little voice is in your head that there's something not accurate or not perfect about your costume... OoOo..that little voice sucks, but yeah, i'm such a perfectionist *lol* it's kinda fun to be like that becuase you get really determined to do things and you could be more optimistic on things ^_^

Legato/Machan
06-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Perfectionist? Maybe yes or maybenot? Who knows?!?!
I'm great perfectionist. For my Midvalley costume I even made some changes on my sax. I put the name Silvia and I customized it with a help from profissionals. Even for the Legato costume, I went to the cemitery to get a skull for me (just kiddinhg heheh*. Perfectionist, me?
Naahh ... I don't think so, do you?

kisses

Legato/Machan

Kenshin Ken
06-04-2002, 02:50 PM
I like for any of my costumes to be as perfect as I can get them ( espically on costumes that I work on for long periods of time.) there are times I would just buy something and modify it to look as perfect as I can get it..but there are times where you get to a point..after working on one part of the costume so long with little progress.. that you just about give up and go with what you got. ( and it happened a few times.. only to find out that my lighting in my room made things look much different than it does in regular sunlight ^^;; )

shiroi_yukiko
06-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Ah, good, I'm not the only one...
Hm, all I have to say is: handsewing and vinyl. Not fun, but...but... it's looks so much more perfect... (and this vinyl mess isn't even for me! and I haven't even put the spikes in it! 200! Waaaahhh! *cough* Sorry...)

Of course everything has to be exactly the right color! Costume, hair, everything! I won't even cosplay if my hair isn't exactly right, let alone the wrong color (and I don't do wigs anymore...)...

NurikoMetallium
06-04-2002, 02:55 PM
I try to get my costumes to look as close to the characters outfit as possible and within my limits. I think it's important if you really love cosplaying and I guess it may help for people to know who you are.
-Nuriko M.

Xion
06-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Nope, when it comes to matching the colors, I can be at times though ^^;;

Jibrille
06-04-2002, 05:30 PM
there is something other than PERFECTIONISM!??!?! WOAH! lol

if its not perfect... i am not happy. it must be as close to the picture/design sketch i am working from as humanly possible(damn my lack of godly powers).
The more acurate it is the more i love to make it and the more time i will spend on it. The better it is the more rententive i get with it. especially paint working, accessories, and color matching.

For example... how long it took me to find the perfect jibrille fabric, and that i bothered to buy sterling silver and make the jewlery myself because it wouldnt be perfect without jewlery! >.<

i go sew now.....

P.S. Lady Somairot is my favorite perfectionist!!! LOL!!
we take good lessons from eachother. heehee ^^

Ali-kun
06-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Lady Somairot
i had to view pictures at ungodly sizes and then draw out the patterns of the sleeve bottom, belt top, AND the trim along the bottom with the big circle things. how did i make the pattern? only the most TIME CONSUMING and ridiculous way i knew possible -- i hand embroidered it.

so, my point is.... yay for two different green colors!!!

Wow, that sounds so exciting XD
(I was kinda wondering how various Lulu cosplayers did the lace, but I never actually asked one ^_^)

Do you have any pictures? I wanna see! (Wa, I love Lulu's character design @_@ It is so cool!)

I go with the 'artistic interpretation' of the costume usually...like for my Naoki, the eyehole thingys on his shirt are yellow (gold, prolly) and the belt buckle is gold, but I thought that looked weird with the white/blue red/black theme of the rest of the outfit so I didn't do that part...but I actually went back to my PSX 5th mix and played a few games to make very sure of how high the black wedges on his pant legs went (to the knee ^^) and spent hours hand-sewing them on...
And then spent far too long just deciding where I should paint red on the mostly-black shoes I'd bought o_O;

Celine
06-04-2002, 09:01 PM
ha ha, I'm the complete opposite of most of you. I am The Nonperfectionist. I've been known to make "drastic color errors" and such on costumes. Part of this is due to the fact that I'm somewhat colorblind, and part of it is due to the fact that I just don't care. I'll cut corners by reusing old fabric before buying new, more accurate fabric, because I need to budget due to the volume of costumes I work on.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with perfection- just that most people don't really seem to notice if you take liberties with an outfit. I like changing things (like fabric, shape of clothing) to suit what I like better or what would look better on me. I really dislike remaking clothing so if it isn't right the first time, it won't be right.

However, if I'm intimately familiar with a character's design, I can appreciate it when someone takes the time to get all those little details right. ^_^

Tenshi
06-04-2002, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm kinda in the middle. Unfortunately, I lose interest in things very quickly. So I'll start out a costume with the intent of it turning out PERFECT, but it rarely ever happens that way. I get frustrated or bored, go find something else to do, and then have to rush to get it done by the deadline. Procrastination is my worst enemy ~~;;.

Plus, as I get better at this stuff, I want to take more and more liberties with the designs. On some of the costumes now, I'm mixing manga versions with anime versions, or in the case of one, Amano drawings with CG renderings. Then I have to mix in some of my own ideas ^^;;.

I guess it depends on what I'm doing, in the long run. If I'm doing something that is well-known, I'll follow the design to the best of my abilities. If it's something very few people will recognize, I'm going to take liberties. It's more fun that way ^_^.

Ali-kun
06-05-2002, 01:23 AM
Celine - you have mad skillz, plus I personally don't notice any changes you might make because I have never ever played any of the games you pull costumes from XD

It probably helps that I am a spoiled rich brat who gets a lot of money for birthdays/Christmas...and that I do not to two hundred bazillion costumes ^_^;

(Aaah! What will I do when I go off to college and cannot be a spoiled rich brat? ;_; I will not be able to steal money from my parents or -anything-...Ali gon' be po'! Eeep!)

Michi
06-05-2002, 02:14 AM
Eriiiin. Considering all those handpainted things on the costumes I saw you in at A-kon... I'd have to smack you if you didn't consider yourself a perfectionist. ^^;

I sometimes am. *shrug* I like to try and be accurate. Hell, my Mai costume is VERY accurate... and costs me my dignity at times. x_X

I get pissy when people do characters like Anthy or Nuriko with light purple wigs. -_- Or Sailor Jupiters without bangs... @_@ Hence I won't do Asuka anymore because I grew out my bangs. o_o

videl
06-05-2002, 09:42 AM
I think that this topic it's too big...I don't understandddddddd.............. ;_; Reading your posts is very difficult...

HuongStar
06-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Eh...I am a perfectionist but the realist in me understands that I do not have time or money to make things perfect.

On my Chii ears, I just said, "F- it" and made them ghetto passable for the con. I plan on remaking them for the 2nd time around. I also didn't have time to get the stockings or ruffle headdress but I didn't want to rush those things, especially if I already had two ghetto components.

My mom and I worked really hard on my Lulu but I want to take some shortcuts and make some changes because this costume has been in the works for so many months now. >_< I am re-interpreting her beads because I think they make the outfit too fussy and I want to do "my" take on the outfit. I have some beef with the inconsistencies between the Nomura design, ingame and CG art so I will interpret it how I see fit.

For the most part, I like for my seams to be pressed, accessories to be in order, but I am no hardcore perfectionist. I like to change textiles and work with different color schemes and it makes me happy. That's all that matters to me. ^_^

Celine
06-05-2002, 05:40 PM
ho ho ho... ghetto ears... I'm sure yours were super mega high quality next to the ears we put together for my sister's Rena (Star Ocean) costume. ^_^ They were literally scraps of paper colored (badly) with a flesh-toned primsmacolor crayon and attached to her ears with hairclips (very painful). ... errr, yeah, I guess that sums up my cosplay philosophy- as long as it looks ok, it's all good. ^_^;;

LiL QoH
06-05-2002, 05:42 PM
it has to be perfect in my book.. even if its not I try to get it to near perfection