PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock BBC

KnightJeran
02-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I know there's a few of you out there! Who else is cosplaying from Sherlock, the BBC TV series? I saw that there was movie threads, but we need a BBC thread.

I'm currently planning a Sherlock, with a friend as Molly and hopefully another friend as my John.

Right now, I'm actually stuck on his coat. I'm even struggling to find a non-accurate, just normal black/gray trench coat! Anyone have suggestions?

moonflower.
02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm cosplaying Irene ^^ so far I'm 1/3rd done her Mcqueen dress and doing coat!irene too

KnightJeran
02-06-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm cosplaying Irene ^^ so far I'm 1/3rd done her Mcqueen dress and doing coat!irene too

Coat!Irene always make me giggle. I can't wait to see your Irenes! I think I've found a coat, but who knows. I wish I had money to buy the official one... the $2000 dollar official one. @_@

moonflower.
02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Coat!Irene always make me giggle. I can't wait to see your Irenes! I think I've found a coat, but who knows. I wish I had money to buy the official one... the $2000 dollar official one. @_@

haha that coat is on my "if i'm ever rich" list XD the cosplaysky replica looks pretty good though, and it's under 200.

MagiFox
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
YAY! FINALLY A BBC SHERLOCK THREAD! :D

I'm hoping to make a fem!Sherlock group at some point, and I'll probably be fem!Mycroft. Mark Gatiss is the awesome.

KnightJeran
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
haha that coat is on my "if i'm ever rich" list XD the cosplaysky replica looks pretty good though, and it's under 200.

It does, and I'm half tempted to buy it. At the same time, I think it fits the model/mannequin really bulky around the shoulders, and I'm afraid to spend that much money on something that fits awkwardly. You never know with the made-to-order stuff.

Welcome to the thread, Magifox!

EDIT: I found a coat! :D It's the most charming black and grey wool tweed. I'm going to have to add/replace 6 buttons and buttonholes (and make them red) and vent the back so it's more flow-y but it works! :D One day I plan on making the coat out of a black and grey houndstooth suiting, but alas, that will be summer project.

If you haven't seen it yet, someone replicated (and I mean REPLICATED) the coat on Deviantart! (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=sherlock+coat#/d4p1glc)

Emrys
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Yay Sherlock!!!

OMG that coat pattern is awesome! I've been looking for a Sherlock coat since S1 came out, it's a shame they don't make many classy coats like that.

I just found an awesome shiny purple shirt for Sherlock. Well, it's a woman's dress shirt but it should work if nothing else suitable is found. And perfect for Fem!Sherlock in the meantime.

junkeemunky
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Working on John Watson, so far I have the wig, shirt, and jacket. Still waiting to get his sweater. The Sherlock replicated coat that was posted looks FANTASTIC.

Hitsutai
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Working on Irene (the McQueen dress version)

Got some work to do haha

KnightJeran
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I was one lucky dog to find both a coat that could work for Sherlock and John's cable knit oatmeal sweater at a thrift store~ I just have to convince my friend into being John. :heart:

Anyone have any ideas for wigs for Sherlock and/or John?

-finally looks up McQueen dress of Irene- SHE'S SO PRETTY in that dress! That outfit is amazing. I can't wait to see you guys' Irenes! :D

moonflower.
02-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I bought a coat to use for Irene for Katsucon

http://moonflowerlights.tumblr.com/post/17298806848/irene-adler-coat-version-sherlock-98

so happy with the outfit! the lipstick is the exact brand and shade used in the episode, and the shoes I made as knockoffs!

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
02-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Working on Sherlock.
So far only have suit and purple shirt of sex. Coat is halfway done, but sitting on my dressform in Texas while I am in Tennessee, so...
Yeah.

Costume so far. (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/395776/)
Coat so far. (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwl906BFAu1r5i2x0o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329377836&Signature=ABxL8J3E%2BdeorxOw6oQZmPDU69A%3D)

tereshkova2001
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Aww, Sherlock makes dreamy eyes at David Tennant! <3

I was at a con watching one of the masquerade MCs put on her costume (shirt and slacks, curly black wig), and I couldn't recognize her at all until she put on the Coat. That'll sell it every time. The blue/lavender scarf is a nice touch too.

SweeneyTodd
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
My friends are planning a BBC Sherlock cosplay. They are having problems with Sherlock's coat as well. So one of my friends decided to do his pajamas (blue robe, grey shirt, pajama pants), and now she's having problems finding correct lightly striped PJ pants. Oh the difficulties of cosplay xD

ioniafreak
02-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I am working on a John Watson cosplay right now~ My wig is a little blonder then being accurate, but i may use it anyway~ I just got a buttoned up shirt and a sweater for it today.

My DREAM is to convince my boyfriend to dress up as Sherlock (because my boyfriend had the most perfect hair for it and i think he would make a awesome Sherlock) And i could dress up as Watson, and we can go to comic con "Handcuffed" :'D
I really would love to do that~

KnightJeran
02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
My friends are planning a BBC Sherlock cosplay. They are having problems with Sherlock's coat as well. So one of my friends decided to do his pajamas (blue robe, grey shirt, pajama pants), and now she's having problems finding correct lightly striped PJ pants. Oh the difficulties of cosplay xD

Pajama version sounds awesome!!

I am working on a John Watson cosplay right now~ My wig is a little blonder then being accurate, but i may use it anyway~ I just got a buttoned up shirt and a sweater for it today.

I'm thinking about getting the coscom "super short" in "cool ash blonde" for my Watson. Freeman has a really interesting (read: difficult to find) hair color. I can't find ultra short wigs easily :S

Dude, this thread is turning out awesome. :cool:

ioniafreak
02-21-2012, 02:25 PM
http://ioniafreak.deviantart.com/art/Watson-WIP-286360354
^^Progress so far~ Still a lot to be done, but i think it is working out rather well~

ioniafreak
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
http://ioniafreak.deviantart.com/art/Watson-WIP-286360354
^^Progress so far~ Still a lot to be done, but i think it is working out rather well~

went out the the movies and did a test run~
-gah had so much fun-

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/414983/

Raikiri
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Might get myself back on here and post up the Lestrade pics I have.

We've a small group of Sherlock BBC cosplayers here, just people who know each other really. Good fun though. Let me go find the pictures.

jalynissuper!
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Going to be doing a Reichenbach Moriarty. (in a crown) My friends already cosplay as John and Sherlock so why the hell not! His eyebrows are devastating. *swoons*

KnightJeran
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Going to be doing a Reichenbach Moriarty. (in a crown) My friends already cosplay as John and Sherlock so why the hell not! His eyebrows are devastating. *swoons*

Eeeee crownjewel!Moriarty! That will be so awesome! :3 The world needs more Moriartys. (<-- feels weird to say that lol)

I'm still having trouble with Sherlock's wig. I'm leaning towards prestyled, because his hair is too messy and curly that I would totally mess it up. I kinda like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darkest-Brown-Brunette-Short-Wavy-Curly-Skin-Top-Wigs-/140708398078?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item20c2dfc3fe#ht_1553wt_984), I could steam-relax the top to be a little flatter and style it and the bangs. Opinions? Unless you have any tips on how to curl a wig from Arda or coscom. I'm trying to avoid the super curly, poofy hairstyle.

Damn you, Sherlock! Why is your hair baffling?

jalynissuper!
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Eeeee crownjewel!Moriarty! That will be so awesome! :3 The world needs more Moriartys. (<-- feels weird to say that lol)

I'm still having trouble with Sherlock's wig. I'm leaning towards prestyled, because his hair is too messy and curly that I would totally mess it up. I kinda like, I could steam-relax the top to be a little flatter and style it and the bangs. Opinions? Unless you have any tips on how to curl a wig from Arda or coscom. I'm trying to avoid the super curly, poofy hairstyle.

Damn you, Sherlock! Why is your hair baffling?

i think that wig would work great! hell even as is. I personally like Sherlock's hair all poofy.
Sleepy sherlock. :)

ToroSonyCat
02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't plan to cosplay from the series (since I wouldn't manage to pull anyone off) but I'm a huge fan of the series and it's great to hear that some people are planning to cosplay from it!! :D I look forward to seeing the cosplays, good luck to everyone! I might stick around just to keep updated on your progress since it interests me, if that's alright.

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey, jalynissuper, do you think you could maybe resize that image or just link to it? It's really high res and it's stretching out the formatting of the site.

KnightJeran: The wig that I used (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3152513/), which I find to very satisfactory (curly, but not too poofy), is a Sepia wig with the style name WB-800. I chopped a heck of a lot off the back, but if you want to avoid that, there is a shorter version of the same style called WB-700. I just liked the length of the curl in the front with the longer one. I wear the wig slightly askew to have the curl fall on my forehead the way I want to. The one you linked would work, but almost seems a bit too choppy for Sherlock's hair.

KnightJeran
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Hey, jalynissuper, do you think you could maybe resize that image or just link to it? It's really high res and it's stretching out the formatting of the site.

KnightJeran: The wig that I used (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3152513/), which I find to very satisfactory (curly, but not too poofy), is a Sepia wig with the style name WB-800. I chopped a heck of a lot off the back, but if you want to avoid that, there is a shorter version of the same style called WB-700. I just liked the length of the curl in the front with the longer one. I wear the wig slightly askew to have the curl fall on my forehead the way I want to. The one you linked would work, but almost seems a bit too choppy for Sherlock's hair.

You make a fabulous point. Thank you for sharing your wig secrets (because everyone always seems so stingy about that kind of stuff). I love your Sherlock! Looks lovely! If it's trimming, I can do that! :)

Crescent010
03-02-2012, 03:15 AM
I so want to cosplay as Sherlock (and my friend as John during comic con Well once we know for sure we are getting tickets)

I so want to do the full outfit but the coat and scarf being the hard part and for the fact I don't wanna die of heat wearing it lol.
I actually plan to cut my hair shorter and touch up the black and then I'm going to curl it myself. Beats buying a wig.
I so love this show ^^

ioniafreak
03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
i updated my John Watson cosplay if anyone would like to take a look~
I think it looks so much better then my first version~
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/418054/

redsheep
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
i updated my John Watson cosplay if anyone would like to take a look~
I think it looks so much better then my first version~
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/418054/

Awwwww! XD

It's perfect.

ioniafreak
03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Awwwww! XD

It's perfect.

thank you :'D

double00beaver
03-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Finding a wig for John is turning out to be a nightmare. I'm doing a younger version of him for a fanart cosplay so I was considering looking for something a bit more on the dirty blonde side instead of the ash blonde look he's got now as an adult. Not sure though. Would be wonderful not to spend even more hours trying to find a wig to match his hair now. xD

ioniafreak
03-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Finding a wig for John is turning out to be a nightmare. I'm doing a younger version of him for a fanart cosplay so I was considering looking for something a bit more on the dirty blonde side instead of the ash blonde look he's got now as an adult. Not sure though. Would be wonderful not to spend even more hours trying to find a wig to match his hair now. xD

do you have a reference? Perhaps i can help out :D

double00beaver
03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
The images I'm going off of don't really show his hair but you can see it a bit. I swear it's gotta be the curse of the BBC Sherlock fandom. I'm having issues with color while my Sherlock is having issues with style.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dl4sgm.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/5beiog.jpg

The designs are by Reapersun on Tumblr.

ioniafreak
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
The images I'm going off of don't really show his hair but you can see it a bit. I swear it's gotta be the curse of the BBC Sherlock fandom. I'm having issues with color while my Sherlock is having issues with style.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dl4sgm.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/5beiog.jpg

The designs are by Reapersun on Tumblr.

i am following Reapersun, HOW did i miss that picture? o.o

Anyway, you should try asking around in the wigs and hair thread, that may be a great start. i have been at a loss for trying to find a sherlock wig with the right style (my friend was looking for one) But Watson you can always get a little longer then what his hair actually is because its a little tricky to wear short short wigs. but i will be sure to look around~

double00beaver
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
i am following Reapersun, HOW did i miss that picture? o.o

Anyway, you should try asking around in the wigs and hair thread, that may be a great start. i have been at a loss for trying to find a sherlock wig with the right style (my friend was looking for one) But Watson you can always get a little longer then what his hair actually is because its a little tricky to wear short short wigs. but i will be sure to look around~

My friend is letting me borrow one of her wigs temporarily for if I couldn't find one of my own but I was hoping I would find one before the convention. I'll ask around but so far my problem seems to be I find wigs with the perfect style but they either make the color too pale or too dark. Good luck with a Sherlock wig, they seem to be just as tricky.

KnightJeran
03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
John and Sherlock are so difficult. WHY!? These normal-clothes cosplays are turning into a massive pain. Never underestimate live-action cosplays!

Many people seem to be going with Marilyn Monroe wigs for Sherlock, with trimming. I think I'm going to buy an Arda wig (I've always wanted one) and try my hand at just messing with it until it looks right. I seem to have a talent for just BSing my way through wig styling and making it turn out alright.

As for John, I think my friend and I have officially settled on the Super Short from Coscom in the ash blonde. The "cool ash blonde" is actually a pretty awesome color.

Good luck everyone!

Neelh
04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
My friend wants to cosplay Sherlock. I had a sudden mental image of The Riddle Solver Who Can't/Won't Solve Riddles... With John in the dress. I quickly corrected it as Fem!John, with long hair in a bun with little wisps falling out.

Now to get her a wig.

KnightJeran
04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Awesome! Welcome Neelh! I've seen only a few femlock and femjohns and they are fantastic! I can't wait to see yours. There's so much artistic creativity and liberty to take when doing a female version. :)

My John and I have decided we're going to do some vacation!versions of John and Sherlock. I'm still in Sherlock-wig limbo, but I really need to get my butt in gear.

Sadly none of the arda wigs I want/could style come in Dark Brown, and I don't want Sherlock's hair to be too dark or too light.

Neelh
04-08-2012, 04:23 AM
It's really unlikely, as her mum doesn't even like videos of her on youtube, and I'm already planning a Gumi cosplay.

KnightJeran
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Welp,

I ended up settling on #2 curly wig for Sherlock. I couldn't get a hold of any of the wigs I wanted for him, they all were being discontinued and not available in the color I needed. Maybe, one day I'll be lucky for once. :waaaah:

My friend and I are exploring the option of teen!pirate!Lock, since our dear Sherlock wanted to be a pirate. I think it would be kinda funny!

It's so easy to cross Sherlock over with a billion other fandoms! :)

Mama Austria
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh fantastic! I'm so glad there is a thread for this!

I plan on debuting my Sherlock at A-Kon this year, with a large group, but I'm still not terribly pleased with my wig. I bought one and styled the curl into it completely myself, and the bangs on the front are still just a bit too full. I'm about to leave for work, but if I were to post photos of it this evening, could I get a little input?

The rest of the costume is done; the coat was a coat I had in my closet. I ripped it apart, literally at the seams, and retailored it entirely to resemble his. It's not Irish Tweed, but it will do. The scarf was knitted by my John by hand, and I opted for the purple shirt worn in Baskerville. Here's a few photos of that; forgive my corgi's cameo in the last one!

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/mama_austria/456679_306836756055428_100001873194492_770068_1092 40136_o.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/mama_austria/479311_306837026055401_100001873194492_770071_1519 659296_o.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/mama_austria/458630_306837162722054_100001873194492_770072_4807 33450_o.jpg

Pardon the poor lighting, and, lol, dirty laundry.

KnightJeran
04-29-2012, 01:17 AM
The rest of the costume is done; the coat was a coat I had in my closet. I ripped it apart, literally at the seams, and retailored it entirely to resemble his. It's not Irish Tweed, but it will do. The scarf was knitted by my John by hand, and I opted for the purple shirt worn in Baskerville. Here's a few photos of that; forgive my corgi's cameo in the last one!......

Holy shamolies! That coat looks amazing! You did a fantastic job at retailoring it! You have the vent and everything. It is a beautiful coat. (super jealous) I love your scarf too, while it's not originally a knit scarf in the show, it's the perfect color (which is actually somewhat difficult to find!) and that is so fantastic that your John knit it for you!! Lovely! (I have fallen in love with your corgi, too! I love dogs!!)

I finally got my Sherlock wig in from Amphigory (really only took 4 days!). I decided to get a #2 Marilyn Monroe wig and I'm going to separate the curls and trim it. It actually isn't too bad and I like how it's not black, but a very deep, super dark brown. I also got a shock blanket, the pink phone case, deerstalker, and the black magnifying glass (which actually was yellow, then sharpied black). Why must his pocket magnifier be $40? T_T I debuted my Sherlock at Starfest in Denver, but it is still a WIP.

Mama Austria
04-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Holy shamolies! That coat looks amazing! You did a fantastic job at retailoring it! You have the vent and everything. It is a beautiful coat. (super jealous) I love your scarf too, while it's not originally a knit scarf in the show, it's the perfect color (which is actually somewhat difficult to find!) and that is so fantastic that your John knit it for you!! Lovely! (I have fallen in love with your corgi, too! I love dogs!!)

I finally got my Sherlock wig in from Amphigory (really only took 4 days!). I decided to get a #2 Marilyn Monroe wig and I'm going to separate the curls and trim it. It actually isn't too bad and I like how it's not black, but a very deep, super dark brown. I also got a shock blanket, the pink phone case, deerstalker, and the black magnifying glass (which actually was yellow, then sharpied black). Why must his pocket magnifier be $40? T_T I debuted my Sherlock at Starfest in Denver, but it is still a WIP.

Eeee! Thank you! The coat used to be about two sizes too small, but I've since corrected it. I'm glad it looks all right! (Corgis. Are the best. <3)

I'll post my wig here tomorrow evening after class for some input on the bangs. Could I see how you managed yours, Jeran? I got your comment, btw, and it made my flail! You are too kind! My wig is sadly black; I had trouble finding a dark brown that I was pleased enough with. But if yours looks nice, I might have to go with your idea!

KnightJeran
05-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Could I see how you managed yours, Jeran? .....

Unfortunately, I only have the wig, and haven't styled it yet. I can't really give you a good picture of what it looks like styled until June 8th (when I go home to Colossalcon and style it on my friend). Sadly, the lack of time/space/wighead/model is preventing me from doing much with it until I get home from university. I'd be glad to post pictures of it when I style it, though! Even if it's an entire month away.

1blackwing
05-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm doing a Femlock for Otakon this summer! My friends are being John and Moriarty, so excited!

I haven't decided if I'm going to brave actually making the coat, and I'm having difficulty finding a purple blouse that would work... But the rest of the costume is underway!

Mama Austria
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Jeran - That's okay! My friend actually just bought me that wig for my upcoming birthday, so I hope it will be here in time for A-Kon! We're going to have a real neat nighttime urban photoshoot at the convention, in downtown Dallas. There's some great locations we can use!

ioniafreak
05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
i just wanted to pop in a say that Arda wigs has a new wig :'D
http://arda-wigs.com/Benny.html
the wig name made me fangirl XD

KnightJeran
05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
i just wanted to pop in a say that Arda wigs has a new wig :'D
http://arda-wigs.com/Benny.html
the wig name made me fangirl XD

-wishes I didn't already buy a wig-

I wish they warned us too! I didn't see it on any list or previews or anything! I find their dark brown still a tad bit too light for my liking, but I'm definitely going to get a close up look at it at Colossalcon and perhaps buy it if I like it enough.

The style is actually pretty good though! They even have the wave at the top of the head, instead of just being curly.

ioniafreak
05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
-wishes I didn't already buy a wig-

I wish they warned us too! I didn't see it on any list or previews or anything! I find their dark brown still a tad bit too light for my liking, but I'm definitely going to get a close up look at it at Colossalcon and perhaps buy it if I like it enough.

The style is actually pretty good though! They even have the wave at the top of the head, instead of just being curly.

i still really like the curly-ness though. its very hard to find a nice curly wig without it being too over or under curled. Makes me even want to do a Sherlock cosplay XD Nah, i am more of a john cosplayer <3

Mama Austria
05-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Jeran - I went ahead and got the Marilyn wig in that dark black brown shade, and I am so pleased with it! Good call! The Arda wig was not loading for me last night; they were doing updates, it seems. But I feel worlds better about my cosplay now! I'll have pictures in a few weeks after the convention.

KnightJeran
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Jeran - I went ahead and got the Marilyn wig in that dark black brown shade, and I am so pleased with it! Good call! The Arda wig was not loading for me last night; they were doing updates, it seems. But I feel worlds better about my cosplay now! I'll have pictures in a few weeks after the convention.

Awesome. I can't wait to see pictures of yours (and I can't wait to style mine in a few weeks!).

I'm thinking I might plan on doing other version of Sherlock, other than the purple shirt and coat. Like the bloodied-harpoon scene, and the Vicar. Technically, they'd both be pretty easy since they're just different shirts and such. I love normal-clothes cosplays just as much as the crazy-out-of-this-world ones!

Any suggestions for making a harpoon? I was thinking about fitting a PVC pipe into another, bigger one and painting them. The bottom piece wouldn't look like wood (just brown), but I don't have woodworking tools to actually make it out of wood. :)

Mama Austria
05-16-2012, 01:03 AM
You might be able to use a large wooden curtain rod or the like for the harpoon, if you wanted it to be made of wood.

Pawprint29
06-07-2012, 07:43 PM
So I'm working on my own Sherlock for SDCC and got Arda's Benny wig. Somewhat disappointed in it though. Mine doesn't want to curl and style in the same way that they show on their website. It has a bit too much volume on the sides and not in the back. I'm gonna have to work on.The dark brown was sold out, so I got the natural black. Which actually seems pretty good color-wise.

nyachyan
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm a tad late to the game in this thread, but I've been working on both canon and genderbent versions of John and it's great to see some fellow fans cosplaying from this amazing series~

John WIP
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bbwrdkVG1rwyilmo2_250.jpg

Fem!John WIP
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bbwrdkVG1rwyilmo1_250.jpg

My next step is styling John's wig a bit more and making his hunter style jacket.

Mama Austria
06-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Hokay. I am waiting for the high res quality photos from the convention of my Sherlock cosplay, but here's one I have in the wings.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m53v1zFm6h1r1d52go1_500.jpg

I'll link some more later when I get them. You know with the whole coat and scarf as well.

Pawprint29
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Some photos from my own Sherlock cosplay. Was meant to wear it as this years SDCC, but not able to go anymore. So tried to take some photos using my phone (so quality and lighting isn't great). Didn't really go with either femme or crossplay, so I'm sort of a gender ambiguous Sherlock from these angles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Magneto29/Benny3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Magneto29/Benny22.jpg

KnightJeran
06-17-2012, 01:54 PM
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/mehregane/cosplayrandom/tumblr_m5o77betVm1rpq44eo3_1280.jpg?t=1339959171

Here's my Sherlock wig that is #2 Marilyn from Amphigory. It was incredibly easy to cut and turned out well. I do love it!

Also, my John in the pic wears the super short in cool ash blonde from cosplay.com's store.

UmmS
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Hello! I've decided to do a BBC Sherlock as my first foray into cosplay (if you don't count the thrown together closet jedi I wore to my first con). I'm sewing skills are uber beginner, so I thought I'd try to make a costume with clothes I can find at Goodwill. Sherlock seemed like a good bet, but not just any Sherlock - Harpoon Sherlock! The Con I'm attending is 2 weeks away, and I'm starting to get everything in line now.

http://i48.tinypic.com/257kit3.gif

I got my wig from Adra today - Benny in Natural Black. I was a bit disappointed that the dark brown was out, but this color isn't half bad. It's a bit on the fluffy side (forgive the picture, the wig is directly out of the bag and I'm attempting a sherlock-esque pose while holding my iphone with one hand), but I should find some way to style it a bit. This is my first wig, and I'm a bit afraid of ruining it :/

http://i50.tinypic.com/s4uav5.jpg

Other costume to dos:

1. Harpoon - I'm getting the pieces this weekend. I figure something like a broom handle, a metal rod, and some rope, topped with a paper mache tip.

2. Blue shirt - Goodwill

3. Fake blood - am going to consult with my theater friends to see what homemade blood works best, doesn't stain the skin and will last through a few days of con going

4. Blue contacts - debating this. I normally wear glasses, but don't know if I will have the time to visit my eye doctor

5. My favorite step - watch Sherlock over and over again and practice acting Sherlock-esque.

Pawprint29
06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Mine is the Benny natural black too; I think it's actually closer to Sherlock's hair color than the brown (although I haven't seen any photos of anyone wearing the brown). Yours seems fluffier than mine though. I just messed with the bangs a little and didn't want to touch the rest.

Neelh
06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Don't do the contacts. It's frustrating. I'm still going to the opticians for mine.

I should get my friend that wig.

Mama Austria
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I love this thread; I love seeing everyone's work and how everyone does things differently.

http://papa-austria.tumblr.com/post/24816273397/more-bbc-sherlock-photos-but-mexicanime-at-a-kon

Sorry for the OMG PINK tumblr, I am still figuring out that place. Here are a few shots from the nighttime urban photoshoot we did at A-Kon.

UmmS
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I love to see everyone's costumes as well. Progress on Harpoon!Sherlock is going well. Harpoon is almost finished. Found a purple shirt (not the right color, but oh well) at Goodwill, so now I can do a purple shirt+suit Sherlock as well. And the piece de resistance, my very own John

http://i48.tinypic.com/67qzqa.jpg

Those who have taken your characters out to cons, were you recognized often? What kind of reception did you get? There is a BBC Sherlock panel at the Con I'm going to in a week and a half, so at least some people know/appreciate the show. I'm hoping for a little love at least.

Mama Austria
06-25-2012, 11:02 PM
I love to see everyone's costumes as well. Progress on Harpoon!Sherlock is going well. Harpoon is almost finished. Found a purple shirt (not the right color, but oh well) at Goodwill, so now I can do a purple shirt+suit Sherlock as well. And the piece de resistance, my very own John

http://i48.tinypic.com/67qzqa.jpg

Those who have taken your characters out to cons, were you recognized often? What kind of reception did you get? There is a BBC Sherlock panel at the Con I'm going to in a week and a half, so at least some people know/appreciate the show. I'm hoping for a little love at least.

LOL Dat Jawn.

I was recognized a fair amount and hugged often, actually. I always acted a bit disgusted, but out of character, I would never deny a fellow fan a hug because that's just mean. XD The reception was highly positive and I enjoyed wearing it!

GlassCannon
06-25-2012, 11:35 PM
I came in here to ogle all the Sherlock cosplays, even though I'm not working on one at the moment. You guys make my heart happy. :)

3. Fake blood - am going to consult with my theater friends to see what homemade blood works best, doesn't stain the skin and will last through a few days of con going

FWIW, I found that jello + unflavored gelatin works great as fake blood (my bloody cosplay here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3059884/)). It's thicker and darker looking than most packaged fake blood, and once dried it's completely solid, not sticky like corn syrup is, while still looking wet. I was able to walk around a con and pose with people for pictures, even use door handles and elevator buttons without leaving any fake blood behind. It comes off with a bit of soap and water (at least from skin, haven't tried to get it off of clothing), and doesn't stain the skin in any lasting way -- ie, I wore this costume (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/170/e/5/steampunk_tinkerbell_by_sheliesshattered-d542urv.jpg) less than 24 hours after washing the fake blood off, and there were no stains left on my arms or face by then. It can start to crack and peel after awhile, but only if you look up close, and that's the only downside I found.

Anyhow, if it's helpful at all, I wrote up my recipe for it here in the Tutorials section (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=255314). :)

UmmS
07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
First CON under my belt! Pictures in my profile of the Harpoon!Sherlock, but am still waiting for the picture of my purple shirt/hedgehog john sherlock. I'm going to take the harpoon home to my parents' house next weekend and have my dad help me make it more screen accurate. Ah, to have power tools. I never thought there would be a day I wish I had a power drill, but that day has come.

On my to buy list: http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-hats-herringbone-sherlock-holmes-hat-grey.html

I am contemplating a Not Our Division Lestrad cosplay for a con in September. Here's a wig I like, a bit longer, but I think a good color match.

http://www.ebonyline.com/fsc13884.html

Of course, who can tell what the color actually is unless they see it? I may visit actual wig shops in town so I can see it up close and personal.

Then just have to stalk Goodwill for an appropriate tshirt, find a fake donut and sturdy disposable coffee cup.

ThievingMagpie
08-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Weeelll, somehow I had not seen this thread! As my other two have had no luck, perhaps I'll cast a few lines out in these waters: There's got to be someone out there interested in some Moriarty - Moran cosplay. Any of that floating around, mmm?

Mama Austria
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
WELL I finally got the rest of the good photos of my Sherlock after...two months.

I post a few if anyone is interested? I don't want to be a bother.

ThievingMagpie
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
WELL I finally got the rest of the good photos of my Sherlock after...two months.

I post a few if anyone is interested? I don't want to be a bother.

Ooh, yes please. <3

Mama Austria
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Ooh, yes please. <3

<3 Thank you! I'll post two, since we only did two settings. Wouldn't want anyone to get bored!

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/mama_austria/557312_10151083970989454_468603922_n.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/mama_austria/527241_10151083969879454_554468613_n.jpg

ThievingMagpie
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Lovely! Well done, you~

KnightJeran
09-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Just thought I'd drop by to post that I finally debuted all of my Kitty Riley cosplay (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3293341/) (instead of just the top part that I wear for tumblr asks).

http://photo.cosplay.com/81090/3293341.jpg

For some reason, she's so much fun to wear. I get to run up to all the Sherlocks and Johns and try to interview them and go "STRICTLY PLATONIC???". Quite fun, and most definitely infinitely more comfortable than any other cosplay (no binding, no heels, no spandex!).

patriciarakel
11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I would love to cosplay Molly in her Christmas dress. She's one of my favourite characters, for sure, and she just doesn't get the recognition she deserves (in AND out of universe). Plus, she looks so freakin' adorable in that whole scene. The only forseeable problem with cosplaying her would be the wig. Because of the hairline, I would probably need to get a lace-front, and those are generally out of my price range. Then there's styling her fantastic poof. It's pretty low on my cosplay plans, but it would be fun to do. :)

Starfleet
12-01-2012, 03:29 AM
This thread is beautiful.

A group of friends and I filmed a Sherlock/ Doctor Who crossover fan film and I got to play Sherlock. :D So I have a costume from that, though it was a rather quick pull-together.

I also have Molly Hooper and I'm working on Coat Irene and then I found a white dress that reminds me very much of hers.

My best friend does John sometimes(cool since we have a Sherlock-John dynamic in our friendship already), but mainly she does Moriarty. And a fantastic Moriarty at that. She has a couple different suits and she can even do the voice. We've had a lot of fun doing AU Molly and Jim scenarios. :)

haaku1234
12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi, popping in late to this party!
So...Coscom's wig's stopped selling the supershort in cool ash blonde. Any suggestions for John wigs at this point?

Identity-Crisis
12-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I have such a long list of Sherlock cosplays, but I'd really like to do one of Mrs Hudson.

Moofingham
12-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Annnnnd, I have joined the Sherlocked. Great. Another Fandom to pine over. Anyway, aside from now needing a death frisbee, I have become obsessed with that wallpaper in the flat. It both garish and mezmerizing at the same time. Clearly, it needs to be in fabric form so that I may make something out of it.

Debating about going as kitty riley as hilarious fangirl for a casual cosplay. Or something along those lines just to have an excuse to buy a deerstalker hat.

heaven56
01-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Just thinking about when I do do Sherlock, all I really need to do is cut my hair, but I don't want short hair again.

merpotterwholoc
01-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi! I'm really new to cosplay and just dropping by to show my Fem!lock cosplay. I'm quite proud of it and would like more people to see it.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/445839/

KnightJeran
01-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi! I'm really new to cosplay and just dropping by to show my Fem!lock cosplay. I'm quite proud of it and would like more people to see it.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/445839/

Wow! You look great! I love your hair. I also adore your coat and shoes! Eeek! :love:

SparkleParty
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
-shyly pops in- Hiiii... I'm looking for a little help... XD I need some suggestions on where I might be able to find a coat similar to Sherlock's? Should I browse Ebay or Amazon, or a different site? Or should I just take a trip to a local thrift store?

And if anyone is looking for a Sherlock wig, I found one that looks pretty good here, not a bad price either:

http://arda-wigs.com/collections/black-064/products/benny

Starfleet
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
-shyly pops in- Hiiii... I'm looking for a little help... XD I need some suggestions on where I might be able to find a coat similar to Sherlock's? Should I browse Ebay or Amazon, or a different site? Or should I just take a trip to a local thrift store?

And if anyone is looking for a Sherlock wig, I found one that looks pretty good here, not a bad price either:

http://arda-wigs.com/collections/black-064/products/benny

Hi there! :) I would personally start with local thrift stores. I found my version of Sherlock's coat at the local Goodwill for something like $10.

KnightJeran
02-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I also got my coat at a thrift store (I don't have pics).

Also, here's a tip, look for a coat that is the correct style and shape, but not particularly the right color. You can take a white or grey coat and dye it to the correct color. A great example of this is asksherlockof221b's coat found here. (http://askjohnof221b.tumblr.com/post/40324989185/winding-down-to-sleep-but-i-wanted-to-throw-this)

cyborgninja42
03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I did a Sherlock cosplay two weeks ago for Sherlock Holmes day. I didn't get any pictures myself, but I did crop these two out of group shots:
http://i47.tinypic.com/s6uaus.jpg http://i50.tinypic.com/somgzr.jpg

timeywimeygirl
03-24-2013, 07:13 AM
So I know I'm very, very late for this party but I'm cosplaying as John for an upcoming con and I am in desperate need of his infamous black jacket. Any clues for ones that resemble his that I can mod? That aren't going to send me broke? This is such an awesome thread, so nice to see so many Sherlock cosplayers in one place :)

supergeekgirl
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
My husband just did a Sherlock Holmes costume with a thrift store coat. I'd make a custom one, but we're already working on too many projects and can't afford the fabric I'd need to make it at this point. All he did was change out the buttons and change the pleats on the back.

So I guess it's sort of half-assed right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/wraithofmusic/sherlock-04_zpsfc7ecb76.jpg

KnightJeran
04-23-2013, 03:50 AM
So I know I'm very, very late for this party but I'm cosplaying as John for an upcoming con and I am in desperate need of his infamous black jacket. Any clues for ones that resemble his that I can mod? That aren't going to send me broke? This is such an awesome thread, so nice to see so many Sherlock cosplayers in one place :)

I think you're thinking of the one with leather, but he actually has two famous black jackets, so I'm not sure. Honestly, the most important part is just finding a well fitting jacket (that is an outerwear jacket with pockets, not a suit jacket or anything) and then sewing on either leather or pleather or PVC to the shoulder and arms. I would search for terms such as "black utility jacket" or "black military jacket" or "black cargo jacket" and see what you can find. Preferably with a collar, since that one has a corduroy collar that folds down.

....So I guess it's sort of half-assed right now.

"Half-assed" you say? Looks amazing!!! Can't wait to see what not-'half-assed' Sherlock looks like!

Cameron1138
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I would love to cosplay Sherlock, but I would need to convince my parents to let me get his coat...

setting54
06-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone! I've been working on two BBC Sherlock cosplays for SDCC (Kate **Irene's assistant**, and Femme!Moriarty), and I found a very convincing and inexpensive alt to the Alexander McQueen tie Moriarty is wearing in the Great Game here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Skulls-Mens-Tie-like-professor-jim-moriaty-from-Sherlock-Holmes-RRP-24-99-/111089479985?pt=UK_Ties&hash=item19dd72f131)

supergeekgirl
06-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone! I've been working on two BBC Sherlock cosplays for SDCC (Kate **Irene's assistant**, and Femme!Moriarty), and I found a very convincing and inexpensive alt to the Alexander McQueen tie Moriarty is wearing in the Great Game here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Skulls-Mens-Tie-like-professor-jim-moriaty-from-Sherlock-Holmes-RRP-24-99-/111089479985?pt=UK_Ties&hash=item19dd72f131)

Ooh! That's awesome. I'm thinking of getting one to wear to work.

ChatNoir
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm working on a fem!Sherlock cosplay and felt like sharing.. ^^ Here's what I have so far:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/JackofSpades814/FemlockCollage_zpsf6e949dc.jpg

Also, if anyone has any tips on finding a good, not-too-expensive, feminine-looking version of his coat, please share!

MeiChama
06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm working on a fem!Sherlock cosplay and felt like sharing.. ^^ Here's what I have so far:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/JackofSpades814/FemlockCollage_zpsf6e949dc.jpg

Also, if anyone has any tips on finding a good, not-too-expensive, feminine-looking version of his coat, please share!

Oh how adorable! I love the little magnifying glass you have. ;3;

DragonKeeper
07-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Well better late to this party than never. I noticed towards the beginning of this thread about people looking for Sherlock's coat. Well the other night I was browsing ebay and I came upon a seller that sells his coat. It looks pretty legit, but I haven't sat and did an indepth comparison between that and the original from the show. Nonetheless, here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBC-Sherlock-Holmes-Benedict-Cumberbatch-Trench-Coat-Cape-Wool-Costume-Well-Made-/271231270555?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item3f26a4be9b

I hope to cosplay Sherlock in the near future, just in California (northern spefically) it's currently way too freaking hot to cosplay wool on top of a jacket on top of a shirt with a scarf if you know what I mean. I need a John in my life lol. I'd feel naked cosplaying Sherlock without a John, in or out of cosplay. xD

imurvillain
08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Are there any meet-ups for Sherlock at Dragon*Con 2013? I know saw pics from one last year and wondered if anything was taking place at the con this month.

KnightJeran
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Just dropping in with an update. I went to the Bay Area Sherlock Con as Kitty and had a blast. I took a lot of photos, but only have a few of myself. I'm the Kitty on the left, and I did not take this picture, but instead this person did (http://sarahnityofthemind.tumblr.com/post/58532699509/kitties).

http://31.media.tumblr.com/44b86fa4bd0af1413dfc7cc12127fdde/tumblr_mroynndxDP1seo9kjo1_1280.jpg

I'm considering different shoes for the future. I've worn black flats for her nearly every time, but they make my legs look much shorter and more muscly than I'd like them to. Should I go with something like short heels that are still modest and comfortable?

Also, does anyone have a color recommendation? I'm getting a new wig for Kitty, one with a part, since I'm doing her seriously (and it's kinda crazy that I am) and I'm hoping to buy from Arda. I want red-orange-brownish but nothing too colorful or extreme.

Sokmunki
10-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm working on a Sherlock Cosplay!! I have the jacket, and I'm adding the stripes to the scarf... I have the pants and the shirt and the shoes, aaaaand my natural hair is actually exactly like his :)

Kelley
10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I've accidentally started to put together a Watson costume, but unfortunately I don't know if anything will ever come of it since no one is so far willing to be convinced to be Sherlock ("between all of us we basically have everything for a possibly-slightly-above-mediocre closet cosplay - you'd just need the scarf and wig" - but nope so far). I managed to not pick a recognisable costume of his, too, so pretty much not sure why I did this except I just really wanted that jacket anyway.

I'm so impressed with people making some of the less "iconic" costumes recognisable and interesting variants that work really well ! A bit of every aspect of the process really has to come together for something that's regular clothes to be recognisable and I'm not sure I've got what it takes to pull that off, but o well I really like this jacket.

thee_starry_one
11-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi folks!

So I'm on the hunt for a good quality John jacket - not for cosplay but just for casual every day wear! Does anyone know if the one at hellocosplay is any good? Or would you recommend the ones on ebay? Or does anyone know someone that would make it on commission?

It needs to be durable and look the part, on a budget of 100 or under ideally. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Kelley
11-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I saw your post a while ago, but the problem is if you want something wearable and not "costume-y" I don't know if you'll find it with that budget. You could MAKE one for that much, most likely - but it's a lot of work, a lot of hours because of all the detail - thus why a good replica is going to cost a bit.

If it's not for a costume that budget could likely get you a "somewhat similar" jacket - in the same general style and wearable as clothing, but not just like the one on the show. The actual jacket was ridiculously $700-ish dollars (I say that due to character's income level) - a that point I can't say a clothing quality replica would save much unless you made it yourself.

RynaWren
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
My and my friends are doing a group for Sherlock. Me as Molly, and some of my friends as Sherlock, John, Irene and Moriarty. :) Can't come soon enough!

MatoMiku
01-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Heyoo Guys! It's been really nice looking at your cosplays! They're all really good :D

I'm planning to cosplay my favourite versions of Sherlock for different occasions (and one just for fun). I'm planning to cosplay Normal Sherlock (Coat, Scarf, etc), Reichenbach Sherlock for Halloween and finally the Restaurant Sherlock (TEH)

Anyone got any tips for how to do the blood on the face? That's the thing I'm going to have the most problems with :/ Oh- and my coat as well since I'm wanting to find one that is durable enough so you can actually wear it during Winter every now and then (since Winter is coming soon here in Australia)...

diceguy
04-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm going to rock the upturned coat collar this Sakura Con. Might do Waiter-Lock in case the coat proves to be too hot at the con!

At home, I wear a blue and black striped sweater close to the one John Watson wears in A Scandal in Belgravia at breakfast in 221B.

rorschack
04-20-2014, 10:39 PM
I will be going to Zenkaicon this week, and I had a purely academic question. Does anyone know what jacket John is wearing in episode one before he meets Sherlock? It's the grey one with shoulder straps and patch pockets. He's got it on when he's in the park having coffee with his friend on the bench.

Any help is appreciated because the black shooter's jacket is all that I can find reference to.

odd_kicks
09-18-2014, 09:13 AM
After a few minutes of searching I found this on a British Military surplus website, it's not 100% accurate but it's pretty close

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1849