PDA

View Full Version : Costumes for Costume-Con?

supergeekgirl
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
What costumes do you plan to wear for Costume-Con? Making anything new? Have a hall costume you're really excited about?

Tell us!

Sarcasm-hime
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm making something new for the Single Pattern, I'll be entering in the Historical, and as for hall costumes....don't really know! I have one new costume (Nomiya Maki concert outfit) I'll probably wear in the halls, but for the rest it may be just kimono. I don't have a lot of stuff that people at CC haven't already seen!

trixyloupwolf
02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
contest i entering:
single pattern
fashion folio
regular maskerade
doll costume thingy

courte pointe thingy

i think that it if its all fit in my luggage of course
ill try to bring a floor one maybe^^

von Drago
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=trixyloupwolf;4282676]contest i entering:

courte pointe thingy
QUOTE]

What's that?

trixyloupwolf
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
errgg o i remember now the english word yay

o oups forgot again while writing arr

o ya QUILT thingy ^^

supergeekgirl
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm PLANNING to enter:

Doll competition
Future Fashion Folio
F&SF Masquerade

What I KNOW I can finish:
Future Fashion Folio

What my husband plans on entering:
Single Pattern Contest
F&SF Masquerade

And we're doing two separate F&SF entries. No historical this year. :<

trixyloupwolf
02-11-2012, 09:27 AM
YEAH!! awsome more time with some friend in green room ^^::( event dough iam no big talker =_= sorry to be shy ish ^^::its becose i never know what to say ^^
but just saying iam very happy wen i pass time with friends ^^

yay doll contest is very fun i need to kick my ass to sew my stuff haha!!!
i sew 5 min yestersday =_= i need to sew more ^^::

yeah arizona gonna be fun to visit too ^^ <3 wahou cactus in the street ( i guess = lol)

Efecss
03-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Well, right now, I may not make it because expenses here have gotten way out of hand. But, I am planning to remade and "upgrade" a costume I won with at a WorldCon a few years ago.

And I may do the historic masque, as a viking story teller doing Ray Steven's Erik the Awful.

And I am hoping to have Avatar roku and one of my Beast Wars Pokemon done, too.

ScarletRhapsody
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
I'll be going to Costume Con in 2015 and I'm already filled with ideas to submit for the masquerades and various contests. So super stoked!

Kaijugal
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
This will be my 7th year of going to costume con, and I still have only ever made 2 costumes for it, (the Single Pattern Competition at CC26 and the Historical for CC30). I'm always organizing costuming events for other people and never seem to have time to dedicate to making stuff for myself.

So I have no idea if I'll have anything for this year. ^_^;

P.S. Organizing CC32 is eating my life! LOL

CapsuleCorp
02-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I feel you, Kaijugal. That's going to be me after the bid goes through.

I usually concentrate on a masquerade entry first and foremost, and intend to do Single Pattern or Future Fashion Folio if I have time. But so far, I haven't managed to leave myself enough time before the con to do another costume. We'll see how that goes for Denver!

(and Toronto. And Charleston...)

trixyloupwolf
03-02-2013, 07:47 PM
going to denver casn't wait starting my fashion folio dress
single pattern half done ^^::

fantaisie costume mmm ill use something i already have that almost done will try to finish it and all

doll costume done from last summer ^^:;;

yeah!!!
hope iam not forgetting any contest nya!!!

khenemetset
03-09-2013, 12:03 AM
I keep seeing this topic and I'm all..."Ooooo, I'm going to make something fun and new."

Then, I remember sis and I aren't going to Denver and it makes me sad.

Hope everyone has a good time and makes awesome costumes so I can drool at the pics later. :)

supergeekgirl
03-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Not going this year either. I'm moving to a new place and just won't have time or money.

I do plan on attending Toronto, though!

Buddycat
03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm still working on a Historical outfit, but will have to see how this works out, timing-wise. We'll see how the next 4 weeks go. Also, the cost of some accessories may prevent me from having it ready for this year, so I may switch to a couple of hall projects.

CapsuleCorp
04-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Hahah yep here it is, 3 weeks out, and I haven't left myself enough time to do Single Pattern. And I had such plans for those chaps!

We're getting our SF&F entry done, though, dammit, come hell or high water. I want to be watching for tornadoes out the car window, not hand-sewing!

trixyloupwolf
05-07-2013, 04:48 AM
iam almost done with my 3 entry
4 if you count doll entry ^^

who coming 16 may in plane ill be there around 11 am

hope i not get lost omg ill bring paper with info on it lol!!!
so good explaning thing ^^ ya right hehe!!!

i cannot wait
kicking my ass to finish the lasat minute stuff ^^

how about all of you ^^

CapsuleCorp
05-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I wish I had the time for more than one entry. How do you do it, Trixy? :D

We're going to finish, but probably at the very last minute. Other than our SF&F entry, I'm mostly bringing One Piece costumes and some costume pieces that work as normal clothing. I wish I had the time to fix Zoro's wig but I don't.

Sarcasm-hime
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah I'm just barely managing to finish my SF&F. For the rest, dunno what I'll bring.

trixyloupwolf
05-12-2013, 04:02 AM
i begin earlier hehe that how ^^
iam not finish of course but i start early nya!!
see ya in 4 dayyyyy

Curucar
05-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Ohhey. I totally forgot that this con has it's own section. I'll be bringing Hiccup tomorrow, and then generic steampunk for sunday. Stop by the AnomalyCon table since I'll be sitting there dyeing a wig all weekend...

supergeekgirl
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Do we want to keep this thread going for 32 or start a new one? I started this originally for CC30 in Phoenix/Tempe.

If we're keeping it going, I'll contribute. I'm lightening my costuming load for the new year, so it's possible I'll only finish one of the two new costumes I want to make for CC32. My husband and I are working on Quidditch robes for Archon, so those will probably show up at the social or on Saturday.

We're really putting our hearts right now into our historical entry, which is the eponymous Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. If we happen to finish those and have time, we'd like to continue with the Captain Nemo costume we started for him. It's just that the Captain Nemo costume will require set pieces and things we cannot afford at the moment. Let's see how the year pans out.

jukebox
01-12-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm entering in the Sci Fi and Fantasy masq as well as Historical. I can't afford to over-commit to plans because I'm in school and since I so rarely do competitions, two at one con is going to be more than enough for my mind to deal with. @_@

Ani_BEE
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I can't imaging doing more then 2 costumes for this but then again both of mine devouring tons of fabric. O_o

ShinobiXikyu
01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I WISH I could make more stuff than my two costumes, but luggage space (got to take the bus) and budget AND time say noooooooo. I'll be rewearing my Princess Luna gijinka from Con-G, and I'll be debuting my remade Quorra from Tron: Legacy (that's planned for competition). Not sure what else I'll wear. I might just dress in my not-typically-suitable-for-everyday subculture fashion. I thought of bringing a comfortable cosplay along like Twilight Sparkle, but I doubt it'll get remotely the same attention as at regular conventions.

shinigami714
01-17-2014, 12:53 AM
So excited! It will be my first ever Costume Con! But sadly I think I'll only have time for one new costume, so I'm making The Faun from Pan's Labyrinth, and I hope to wear it in the SF&F masquerade. I'll be re-wearing Zant and either Sewer Urchin or Falco.

Unless of course I manage to finish Yojimbo from FFX by then as well. But that is doubtful!

Also after viewing all of the Future Fashion Folio designs I really want to make one of those as well!

KuroBara
01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
This is only my second Costume-Con, and second visit to Canada. I still haven't decided if I'm flying or driving, so that really impacts what I pack. I'll be bringing my Shobijin costume from Godzilla vs. Mothra. I've started making Katrina's witch outfit from Sleepy Hollow (obsessed!) but I'm not sure if it's better for the F&SF masquerade or historical. The design is fairly accurate to colonial fashion, but not 100%. My fabrics are a blend of realistic (silk, cotton, linen) and no way (poly brocade). Any input would be appreciated.

Oh, and because it's in Toronto I'm definitely bringing Envy Adams from Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Sarcasm-hime
01-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Re: the Sleepy Hollow dress, I think it could go in either. It depends on which day you want to compete it. It would certainly work well for the F&SF, but if you want to compete on Sunday I'd email the historical director and ask him what he thinks. :) I'll PM you the email address.

CapsuleCorp
01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Man, I have no idea what I'm bringing. I'm no longer entering Single Pattern or Future Fashion show, so I guess it'll be whatever's in my closet. As much as I would like to make something new, I just don't have the money to sink into costumes I won't wear more than once.

KuroBara
01-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Re: the Sleepy Hollow dress, I think it could go in either. It depends on which day you want to compete it. It would certainly work well for the F&SF, but if you want to compete on Sunday I'd email the historical director and ask him what he thinks. :) I'll PM you the email address.

Thanks!

Chibi Lenne
01-19-2014, 11:17 PM
I can't imaging doing more then 2 costumes for this but then again both of mine devouring tons of fabric. O_o

So many costumes x.x

I've got my own sci-fi masq. future folio costumes for me and 3 others, and a single pattern I'MMA DIE X.x

Ani_BEE
01-20-2014, 12:37 PM
^ You be crazy. ;) But I also know you have the space to work one more then on task at a time. (I've got one ikea table and stipe in the bedroom/common room floor to work with. lol)

Got to teach your minions to hand stitch stuff as well.

Chibi Lenne
01-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Lol I'm confined to the living room (and using an Ikea table to cut on).

The tiny minions can at least use a glue gun, but I've banned two of them from using them until they can learn how to not burn themselves.

capnmckay
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
I plan on making 4 costumes for the convention based upon the four seasons, though they do not fit with the theme. (Or do they? Do you think that the four seasons represented in human form can be said to be mythical?) I have been planning to make costumes similar for years now, and figured this con would be good motivation. I would love to participate in some of the other events, but these four costumes may eat up a lot of my time. Most of them will end up hall costumes because it would make my friends, (whom I have dragged into this, heh) Too nervous to go on stage. I wouldn't mind being in a masquerade, but I am unsure how to even ... do a masquerade event (I have never even seen the one at AN due to the line-up and late scheduling.)

Uh ... So any suggestions? XD

Ani_BEE
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Mythical/fantasy for sure. It remind me a project I did for school. ;)

I've personally never been able to do a group presentation due to lack of cosplayers in my area to rehearse with. So mine are most walk on's to show off the work I've done to the costume.

Kat Murz
01-24-2014, 12:17 PM
oooooo SO EXCITED!!! What...90 days now!? PANNICC! I can't wait to see everyone's costumes, I've never been to costume-con before but so far everything sounds so great :3

Currently have three planned:
- Original designed unicorn fantasy gown (for hallways and the social) (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.494114837374904.1073741839.171384912981233&type=3)
- Historical interpretation of an Italian Renaissance gown inspired by Queen Titania from Shakespeare. (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.493311794121875.1073741838.171384912981233&type=3)
- Anna from Frozen for the Sci-fi/Fantasy (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.488504127935975.1073741837.171384912981233&type=3)

Myself and my Elsa both started the outfits thinking they wouldn't be too bad labour wise.......and now I'm 60 hours into hand embroidering and no where close to finished, and she's 20 hours into sequins sewing and no where close to finished ;___; we very much so underestimated these costumes....

Kaijugal
01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I plan on making 4 costumes for the convention based upon the four seasons, though they do not fit with the theme.

All costumes are welcome! :) There is no need for your costumes to fit into the overarching theme of the convention, it's just there for inspiration. :)

I wouldn't mind being in a masquerade, but I am unsure how to even ... do a masquerade event (I have never even seen the one at AN due to the line-up and late scheduling.)

Uh ... So any suggestions? XD

Entering the masquerade is easy. You sign up onsite at the masquerade registration desk. It is suggested you have music or a pre-recorded soundtrack of some kind, (people cannot usually hear those speaking on stage so we encourage people to record their dialogue and lip-sync to it.

You will be assigned a contestant number, and then before the masquerade report backstage. The workmaship prejudging is done there in the greenroom. You will have a den that you sit in, and there will be a "den parent" to assist you and answer any questions you may have.

When it's your turn to go onstage the ninjas line you up and, you go on stage and do your thing! :) It's fun. I encourage you to try it. :)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :) Try not to be intimidated. It's fun, and people will be excited to see your stuff! :)

netmanx
01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
finally made up my mind and purchased my ticket, havent much experience with armor other than bad but hopefully i learned enough from my mistakes to finish my malthael (diablo 3) costume
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130915031340/diablo/images/d/d3/Malthael-Transformed.jpg

Ani_BEE
01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
oooooo SO EXCITED!!!
Myself and my Elsa both started the outfits thinking they wouldn't be too bad labour wise.......and now I'm 60 hours into hand embroidering and no where close to finished, and she's 20 hours into sequins sewing and no where close to finished ;___; we very much so underestimated these costumes....

It' why I started my beading back in October knowing from previous experience that 4" square took me a week to do on another project. >_< I'm rooting for you girls. ;)

EmpressofSquee
01-30-2014, 12:31 PM
oooooo SO EXCITED!!! What...90 days now!? PANNICC!

Uh... 90... days?! :mfg: *pushes the big red button*

I've only just started my main costume for the Sci-fi masq, can't finish the props for my Hall costume until the weather warms up a bit (need to do some spray painting) and the Fashion Folio is just a gleam in my eye at the moment. HALP!!!

Really looking forward to this con though! I'm a first-timer too!

Sarcasm-hime
02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm kind of bummed that I'll be lucky if I get ANYTHING new made for CC, I'm so busy running stuff, answering emails and putting out fires. Someone remind me why this seemed like a good idea?

Oh yeah, because ALL OF YOU ARE SO EXCITED AND ARE GOING TO HAVE AN AWESOME TIME. :D I can't wait to see everybody's stuff! You all better kick ass for me, that's all I gotta say. ♥

may55
02-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't know exactly how I will be able to make both in time but most likely I will be a 1950's pin up version of the Lone Wanderer (Player) in Fallout 3 and maybe a pokemon if I have time. My mom hasn't decided what she wants hers to be but most likely it will be something from some historical period. We will see how I do with it, I am just terrified I won't finish it in time.

Ani_BEE
02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Phew! Final order the last of the fabric needed because both of my costumes are fabric eating monsters. O___o Thats another $150 on 2 fabrics with shipping, but they're 7 and 10 yards of Jet Black Bengaline Faille and White Poly Georgette. lol

ShinobiXikyu
02-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Just did the design for my boyfriend's costume. The part I have to do is pretty simple (he's being a Canterlot guard, Luna-styled, to match my Princess Luna cosplay, and the design was inspired by the Gondor tower guard from LotR), largely a tunic/surcote, cape and possibly a belt, so the emphasis is on him to get worbla-ing all the armour.
...Quorra is soon to be properly drafted and started on (after Con-G), Luna's nearly done.

Kat Murz
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
due to how heavy the work loads are turning out to be for Anna, gonna have to drop my historical (just gives me incentive to travel and attend another CC in the future >:3) my friend who's being my Elsa is having the same issue, so instead we're just going to do Zelda and Hilda from a Link Between Worlds as fun hall-costumes.

Anna wise...back of the skirt's embroidery is almost done @_____@ ( here! (https://www.facebook.com/171384912981233/photos/a.488504127935975.1073741837.171384912981233/529185620534492/?type=1&theater)) talk about jumping in the deep end for learning to embroidery the first time...figure by the time I'm done all the pieces that need it, I'll have about 250+ hours embroidery on her. AHHHH what did I get myself into D8

My only comfort is my poor Elsa is in the same boat with hundreds of hours going into sewing square sequin onto her bodice one by one and soon applying bajillions of rhinestones to her cape...these guys defiantly turned out to be more work then we first though, but I think all the hard work will be worth it in the end!

How goes everyone else's progress??? Only a little over two months now, eep!

Ani_BEE
02-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Progress... Almost done Souryuu sword and starting his crown, Regina book is done. This week and next I'll be tackling both their wigs. ;)
http://www.cosplay.com/member/38045/photos/

My 3D crystal apple puzzle came it and I looks cool with 3 red LED's in it. I'm still trying to make a crystal heart though. lol

I'm might be voted out of the Arda wigs this round being the least popular wig .... so I may have more time one this. >_<

Edit random note:
I forgot what Apoxy Clay was like when it fresh. lol It a comply different consistency (wetter like sily putty at first) then the old batch of 3 years I just finished off which had dehydrated slightly. ;)

Ani_BEE
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Time to do my checklist.

Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
What's left:
[-]Wig (custom fake hairline, lifted bangs, and bun/hair loops.)
[ ]White under rob. (just got the fabric for it!)
[ ]Perwinkle robe with trim
[ ]Fake second rob collar.
[ ]Over Coat with support shoulder and trim with cracked piping in gold.

Finished
[X]Crown
[X]Decorative Obi with fake ties and layers (cracked piping in gold.)
[X]Fan
[X]Sword

Regina apple dress ~ Once Upon a Time
What's left:
[-]Wig
[ ]Colar
[ ]Jacket
[ ]Custom rattail trim.
[ ]Skirt
[ ]Glowing Heart (Extra)

Finished:
[X]Book
[X]Bra & jewellery
[X]hand beaded Appliqué (7000m 2mm bead later)

Ayekasong
03-04-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm totally jealous. One of my costumes is close to being done, but not there yet.

ShinobiXikyu
03-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Was SUPPOSED to get Quorra's new armour drafted on the weekend, but woohoo, I got fantastically sick.

CapsuleCorp
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I didn't realize how close it was. I don't think I'm going to get Gan Ning done in time. Oh well. It's just for the halls, anyway.

But we on the CostumeCon34 committee are probably going to make some examples from our Single Pattern Contest patterns, which we'll be announcing at CC32. So people can see what can be done with them. Come say hi to us at the CC34 table! We'll give you shiny ribbons!

may55
03-06-2014, 04:51 AM
My Fallout costume is doing fine, but I have to redo the pants because I accidentally made them too tight. Then I just need to dye the fabric and I am done.

I have yet to start my Single pattern entry, but I have a week free of work to finish it completely (And I am still not sure if I will make it in time). I have what I will be doing for it I just need to get the pattern pieces to start working on it. .

I also have my mom's costume to work on, which is a medieval inspired dress, which she decided 2 days ago!! She is trying to kill me. I am going to be doing that ALL this weekend. I think we are just taking a velvet dress and using it as a base.

Lastly my general hall cosplay is an old corseted ball dress my mom used as a kid which I am fixing up for my own use. It's got an interesting design but there are random beads which are falling out which I might just get rid of entirely. I also have to fix a fabric flower on it. Also I have to find all of my crinoline, which has disappeared ever since I left for school last year.

Ani_BEE
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
O___o It just got real as I was charged yesterday for my hotel room at the Cronwe on my Visa.

jukebox
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I seriously envy y'all who have so much progress done already. I just ordered the fabric for the Katy Perry bodice today and finished decorating the shoes yesterday. If it weren't for the fact that the weather trolled us all horribly in the GTA, I'd have gone out to get the tulle I need for the skirt, but thats gonna have to wait til the weekend, I guess.

My historical costume is still pretty much just a heap of fabric, but at least my research is done...

Ani_BEE
03-14-2014, 09:50 AM
^ Don't feel bad, because even with my early start I might not be able to finish both of my costumes. >_<

jukebox
03-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Within the past 2 days I've somehow thought it was a good idea to totally change my plans for the historical masq. WHAT IS MY LIFE.

ShinobiXikyu
03-18-2014, 01:13 AM
If I keep motivated/don't slack off and nothing goes horribly wrong, I THINK Quorra will be all done on time (and sigh, I GIVE UP on the extended neckline/collar on this costume, the design is RIDICULOUS. I'm in fashion school and still couldn't get a god damn thing to work for it if it were to look screen-accurate because my textbook only gives drafting instructions for all-around-even extended necklines with centre front AND back seams). But it's starting to quickly look like my boyfriend won't have a costume (he said he doesn't really mind, as he doesn't cosplay much at cons in the first place, but I'll feel awful if he doesn't have something cool to show off for the only Costume-Con we'll get to go to for a very long time). Buying new pleather tomorrow for the side parts, and before the weekend I need to get my pattern finished and ready to have fabric cut from it. And as I have a TON of extra pleather for the stiffer parts of the costume, no mockup. I'll find out if it'll work with the pleather first (and I need to mold it over some worbla on the chest anyway and make sure it stretches correctly, can't replicate that with bedsheets).

Boreotheria
03-25-2014, 09:27 AM
My plan is to have two proper costumes (one in theme, one not) and wear steampunk or other garb for the other two days. Seasonal depression sucks. I got so little done before... last week? :P

But I'm actually on track to at least get Ori finished. :) I have a wig, I'm making the coat (although cheaping out), fabric for trousers or skirt will be here this week. Knitted components will likely be purchased because I can't knit. So no masquerades for me. Maybe I'll work on perfecting it for another convention.

I still don't know what the heck I'm doing about the muse costume. It's stupid hard to find a nice plain unpatterned basic weave soft wool fabric in solid colours. All I need is about three metres each of baby blue and midnight blue, and props will be easily found on Ebay.

Ani_BEE
03-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Err... lost a week due to illness... >_< I wanted to get all my sewing done by this Sunday but I have 4 layers of robes and some crazy hand sewing for vinyl piping on the outer robe to do in this week to keep on track (i want last week back). So I feel like if I get everting sew but the piping/trim one the outer robe it will be a miracle.

But thankfully I last Saturday I was feeling well enough to grind off 1-2lb of clay from the inside of the crown and repaint it. :drunk: So much lighter but still it's about 2lb in weight I'm going to suffer through the day wearing it on my head (my poor neck). lol But it's not much different then one wig I worn in the past.

BUT HERE'S THE CROWN!!!
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3480405/

I still have a wig to style for Souryuu and the fallowing week I find out if I'm still in the Arda contest/next round starts.

Kat Murz
03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Progress on Anna carries on @____@ I only have about 100 hours of embroidery time left to go though!! (out of what will probably end up being over 300 hours of hand embroidery, my poor fingers ;____;.) and just a few things left to sew together too! YAAAY Was able to try on enough pieces to start to get a vision of my finish line. AAHHHHH EXCITED FOR THE CON AND TO BE DONE. Four-Five months of hard work will finally pay off...

Progress is here!: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.488504127935975.1073741837.171384912981233&type=3

Still hopefully I might have time to get Hilda done, will be brining my Granado Espada too likely.

ShinobiXikyu
03-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Good god I hate upholstery vinyl. I got stuck using it to make most of Quorra again and it's a giant pain in the ass to sew. My machine won't take it plus heavy duty thread, so I have to handstitch any parts that require the heavier thread. I now have seven bloody pricks on my fingers two hours later and only one seam and its darts done. And I'm hoping this will continue to fit like it should/lay flat... it's kind of hard to tell since I have all the cutaways in it and haven't sewn the diffusing material in yet to put hings back in one piece. If the back won't sit flush against me like it should I'll have to glue some buckram or something on it, or shorten it so it doesn't come into contact with my hips. (As boyfriend calls them, I have Quarian hips. They're a pain.)
But on the plus side, the lapped separating zipper was easily pinned in place, and my worbla boob-plate is nicely shaped.

Ani_BEE
03-25-2014, 02:49 PM
^ Feel yeah. I could only use my machine to sew my vinyl into gold piping but as soon as I try to sew it into other layers my machine hates me. lol

ShinobiXikyu
03-25-2014, 02:56 PM
In my machine's case, it's okay through two layers of upholstery pleather (if not top-stitched) if I use normal thread, but it won't feed the heavy-duty stuff through at all since it's too thick. But heyyyyyyy, most of these seams have to stand up to strain (I toss around the word "load-bearing", though I don't think it applies to sewing). I can only machine-sew the collar seams, the diffusing fabric (thank goodness or it would take me months), and the tops of my arm-armour since it's stretch pleather.

CapsuleCorp
03-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Aaaa I can't wait to see all of these awesome costumes!

I did manage to get Trafalgar Law done so I'll have something new. The rest is all a blast from the past. I'm breaking out DBZ Dende for the Friday Night Social theme (he's a monster....sort of?) and GreenFire and I are sprucing up Ferid and Arshtat from Suikoden V. They haven't been out of the closet in a while.

Ayekasong
03-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Due to some unrelated issues, I had some time free up, and I finished one of my costumes last week. I am now starting costume #2, yes, one month before the con. I'm apparently a glutton for punishment.

may55
03-26-2014, 05:23 AM
I lost tons of time because of schoolwork :( But I have 2 weeks to finish everything. My mom decided to make her own costume out of her antique clothing. I believe it is going to be from an old movie (which I have to clarify). I had to re-start my Fallout cosplay. :( My Milotic costume has the wig done but I have to see if I have enough fabric (It's still back home). Then I have just a mask to paint for my masquerade inspired outfit.

shinigami714
03-26-2014, 07:52 PM
As per usual everything is taking way longer than predicted. Bridesmaid duties have really put a stopper on a lot of my progress, who knew it would be so time consuming and complicated to be in a wedding party? I will definitely only be getting one new costume finished for this.

Ani_BEE
03-27-2014, 09:54 AM
The Miyuki Satin fabric I picked out is being a PITAK to sew as it's has 10% stretch but it doesn't want to press to save it's self!!!

Only finished the fake collar to test it out but now I'm doing the under robe in it and I think I'm going to have to use a lot of fumble interface to hem this one up as I'm do rolling hems. :crylaugh: I need to go shopping tonight. :drunk:

I'll be happy when I start sewing the Charmeuse!!! (I'll never go astray again).

ShinobiXikyu
03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Provided there's no big problems, I'll definitely have Quorra done and Luna touched up. Looks like boyfriend won't have a matching costume, though, since he's been too busy to make his armour and not able to hand over the funds for cape and skirt/tunic fabric. He says he really doesn't mind as fancy costumes are too uncomfortable for him to enjoy it much, but it IS the only Costume-Con we'll be attending for many years. Sigh.

Ani_BEE
03-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Sigh.... :waaaah: Yes I'm going to need to this week to finish the robes. >_<

Such a nasty fabric to work with without a serger but it looks nice. I spent more time pining and stabilizing the seams on the fabric then actually sewing that under robe.

Regina is shaping up to be a no go. Because I'm going to loose another 1.5 week to the Arda Wigs. >_< But once I'm finish Souryuu I will be working on her for the remaining days I have. :bigtu:

What's left:
[-]Wig (custom fake hairline, lifted bangs, and bun/hair loops.)
[-]Perwinkle robe with trim
[-]Over Coat with support shoulder and trim with cracked piping in gold.

Finished
[X]White under rob. (just got the fabric for it!)
[X]Fake second rob collar.
[X]Crown
[X]Fan
[X]Sword

Chibi Lenne
03-31-2014, 03:12 PM
I literally JUST got 1 of the costumes done ;_; my main costume for the schi-fi masquerade is... 90%ish finished, plus wig to style. Then I have 2 costumes for the future fashion to do for myself and a friend x.x WHY I DO THIS TO MESELF?!

ShinobiXikyu
03-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Quorra is going to be down to the wire, but I'm still confident I'll have her done by a few days before the con... also, my hex-print came in! Squee! It's gorgeous. And I can use the leftovers for the much-farther-in-the-future Tali'Zorah cosplay I still plan on doing (WHEN, now, is a whole other story...)

Ani_BEE
04-03-2014, 08:19 AM
:sulk: Well my cold turned into bronchitis over the past 2 weeks so I'm developing a second boat of this virus systems. :miffed: Clear Up Already!!!!! At least I'm not fevered/delirious with it. :thumbsup:

I spend all of last night ironing 14 yards of fabric. O_o It was needed it but.....

But I'm think of bring my Red Queen for Sunday. ;)

Sarcasm-hime
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Working on my Single Pattern. It's not gonna look anything like the original pattern, lolz. Even for a last-minute costume I somehow end up doing tons of fiddly hand-pleating and beadwork....:rolleyes:

ShinobiXikyu
04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm singing love songs to my new walking foot. For SOME screwy reason I didn't decide to try it out til I was almost half done the sewing... now, oh man, handwheeling and carefully checking things every minute over Quorra's pleathers and spandex, no longer, I'm done as fast as if it were plain cotton twill. If only I'd gotten it in time for when I made Luna.

Ani_BEE
04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Oh hell I got yelled at by one of tenants for sewing at past 10pm last night, came banging at 10:50pm (I usually stop at 11pm). >_< Apparent they need 8.5 hours sleep.

I'm still sick and I'm still sewing robes. >__> I'm also running out of one of my trim fabrics so I'm going to have to rush order 2 more yards. boo But to guess I should have know that 29" wide was going to cut it.

ShinobiXikyu
04-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Quorra's electronics are fighting tooth and nail to not get done. We had to spend an hour straightening the lightpipe and lost time there, then the boyfriend caught a cold, then we forgot clear heat shrink and didnt order enough LEDs, then he burned himself with the soldering iron. @__@ The plan was to have most of them done this weekend and a grand total of three out of about fourteen are done. At least I still have all week to make the undershirt before the next weekend for working on things together. Oh, and there's the problem of red and black wiring poking out in a few places. The black is obviously no problem, but how do you safely colour over red wire?

Ani_BEE
04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Skink heat them in black. ;)

Sarcasm-hime
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm singing love songs to my new walking foot. For SOME screwy reason I didn't decide to try it out til I was almost half done the sewing... now, oh man, handwheeling and carefully checking things every minute over Quorra's pleathers and spandex, no longer, I'm done as fast as if it were plain cotton twill. If only I'd gotten it in time for when I made Luna.

Walking feet are THE BEST. I pretty much leave mine on my machine all the time and only take it off if I need to put in a zipper or use another specialty foot.

shinigami714
04-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Struggling with finishing costume parts and making them durable enough for wear. Shoes are always a problem for me and the hooves for The Faun are proving a real pain in the butt. I'm afraid everything is just going to crack. And I'm running out of my paper clay and wont be able to get more in time aaaaah!

Ani_BEE
04-11-2014, 10:15 AM
double post

Ani_BEE
04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
shinigami714 For shoes I use a platform type so that I know there is not flex where the clay attaches. I give myself 1/2" clearance off the ground as well to prevent scuffing.

Why not ordered some Apoxie Sculpt as the ship fast for part that don't have to be to wlight weight. For Paper clay I'm on the whims of my local art storwe and Micheal's sfor stock.
http://www.sculpturesupply.com/list.php?sf=subcategory&vl=Apoxie+Sculpt&cat=Modeling+Materials

Use this stuff for my Venus (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/456419/) shoes and other then a bit of crapping on the lip against the pavement as a walked it held up fine.

My extra trim fabric finally cleared China customs!!! I'm going to use what I have for my complex shoulder trim first so that way once the extra fabric come's I have just the full but simple collar to contend with.

shinigami714
04-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Ani_Bee: I'm working with a wedge shoe, it's got a bit of a platform on it and would have probably worked but I stacked it on top of some flip flops for added height...that's probably where my flex problem is coming from. You used the Apoxie sculpt for your shoes? I was wondering when I saw them at AN, because they look awesome and they seemed so solid. I'll have to look into this stuff.

Thanks for the advice!

ShinobiXikyu
04-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Fuck, now I'm starting to catch a cold. And Quorra's arm pieces were nearly impossible to sew neatly, no matter what I couldn't tuck away all the wires inside the diffusing strips due to the crazy sharp angles. And the rest is behaving somewhat similarly, the diffusing strips are fraying like mad and getting thread bits everywhere til they're sewn, and it's impossible to get it to look perfectly clean. Not helped by the fact that I screwed up on one's shaping. Fuck, I just can't make this costume actually look remotely screen accurate because I DON'T HAVE A TEN GOD DAMN THOUSAND DOLLAR BUDGET WITH CUSTOM ELECTRONICS TECHNOLOGY. I'm going to feel like shit even entering this thing in Novice. I had to make my torso armour with mainly sewn stiff pleather. Movie? Custom cast-molded rubber with a reinforced back and light strips invented just FOR the film. No fucking WAY that can be perfectly replicated.

Kat Murz
04-14-2014, 07:48 AM
More Anna progress after working non-stop at this sucker @___@ cape is almost done though! Bodice is fully done, trim embroidery and all, which means I'm getting close to the end! https://www.facebook.com/171384912981233/photos/a.488504127935975.1073741837.171384912981233/556068674512853/?type=1&theater

Once the cape is done tonight, then I just have 60-90 hours of embroidery left on the skirt and the boots D8 AAHHHHH EMBROIDERY WHY?!!! Four and a half months embroidering though, and almost done ALMOST THERE I CAN SEE THE FINISH LINE!! Wish me luck guys ;______;

Ani_BEE
04-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Well I redid my white under robe sleeves as gave the 3" more at the body to that the where slightly longer. lol My periwinkle robe is also most done I'm just hand hemming the sleeve trim after 10PM each night when I can't use the sewing machine anymore. lol

The over robe the body of it has been altered and put together so now I'm starting the shoulder trim.

What's left:
[ ]Wig (custom fake hairline, lifted bangs, and bun/hair loops.)
[-]Perwinkle robe with trim
[-]Over Coat with support shoulder and trim with cracked piping in gold.

Finished
[X]White under rob.
[X]Fake second rob collar.
[X]Crown and hair pins.
[X]Fan
[X]Sword

I still have systems from that cold but at least the bronchitis if FINALLY clearing up. >_> I feel like I've been sick forever with this one.

If i still had Regina on my list I would have pulled my hair out.

Also no word of the Arda third round Contest challenge has me panicking!!! O___o If it don't start today then I won't have enough time to before this weekend to finish the wig for photo's. Unless it starts next week.

Boreotheria
04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
To-do checklist. Good idea.

Fem!Ori:
[ ] Purple wool coat. Need to do a bunch more machine embroidery on edges, then finish.
[ ] Grey shirt. Gauze is coming from Etsy this week and the shirt should be a two-hour project.
[ ] Wig needs to be styled and braided.
[ ] Sweater vest and scarf/cowl need to be found at thrift store because I can't knit or crochet. I have arm warmers that will be suitable, though.
[ ] Other accessories: belt, boots, book, bag, and dagger holster (and slingshot?) -- any big belt at this point will do, and some cheap knockoff Uggs with leather and fur binding will look decent. These are going to likely be scrounged/thrift-stored items.

Urania:
[ ] Print and transfer star map to globe, and paint.
[ ] Put edge binding on chiton and himation.
[ ] Finish my wacky idea for cutout leather sandals, or find cheap ones at the thrift store and paint silver.
[ ] Find or make some star appliques to stick in various places.
[ ] Finish hair jewelry.

... Other things are already done, so it's not like I still haven't done anything. \o/

Ani_BEE
04-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Payless has cutout sandals right now. ;)
http://www.payless.com/store/catalog/subsubcategory.jsp?trail=1016%3Acat670026&subCatId=cat670026&catId=cat10088&pageSize=80&icid=sp03_hp_hq_image3

I alway like having a checklist for AN because I usually doing two costumes. I surprisingly never do one for FanExpo probably because I usually only make one and bring something else.

ShinobiXikyu
04-15-2014, 10:55 PM
So I just broke my last needle. Can't get even a chance of getting any more until Thursday afternoon, which means now my chances of finishing Quorra are fast approaching impossible. I still have to sew a bunch more by machine for the diffusing strip seams and then the finicky places by hand, all the freakish cutaway detailing around the collar (that's a two-day job...), still got to place and solder the lightpipe around my hips and then sew the diffusing strips for it, make the circles on her back/hips and put on the black circles for the other four, finish gluing the craft foam to my arm armour, then attach a crapton of velcro to them and my gloves, put more hairspray on my wig, try my new contacts out, and then attach the disk dock and battery pack and the last two bridge connectors/wires, and THEN give the entire suit a test.
...so I just called Mom in tears and told her to send me one of my old costumes as a backup, because I have a max of seven days to finish this all and still need to fix the beads and wig on Luna.

shinigami714
04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
ShinobiXikyu: I believe in you! You can do it! And don't feel bad about the lack of film accuracy. I think the inventive way you're putting everything together deserves some serious props!

Ani_Bee: I just want to thank you for that link to the Apoxie Sculpt. I ordered some and it arrived so quickly! I might actually be able to wear these faun shoes! At least long enough to get me across that masquerade stage...provided I finish the rest of my costume.

Boreotheria: I cannot believe you're making a fem!Ori cosplay! I need to get photos of that at the convention. I love The Hobbit ><.

Kat Murz: That cape is stunning!

One week left and I still have to paint EVERYTHING. And add details to everything as well T_T. Nothing is done. Everything is started and half assembled...it's very scary. I have no idea what it will look like together, or if I'll be able to get the pieces to stay in place with velcro. The chest piece shrunk when I added the clay to it and I swear if I gain a pound anywhere it will not fit my body. And I stuff my face when I'm stressed so I will most likely gain at least a pound these next couple weeks aaaaaah!

And now I'm starting to freak out about Anime North, because I'm so far behind on this costume...that I haven't even had time to think about my next one.

Ani_BEE
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Yah you can also foam core structure the Apoxie Sculpt do that it cut down on weight. ;)

I'm on hold till Sunday night for my robes (Arda time! (https://www.facebook.com/ArdaWigs/photos/a.187213631309935.43200.109598419071457/744648125566480/?type=1&theater)!!!). Still need to hand hem my Periwinkle Robe sleeves and the Over Coat I have the base finished buckram support but I need to do all the trim on it. But my order for new trim fabric is at the Post Office for it!!!

ShinobiXikyu
04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Thankfully I was able to use my denim needles on pleather, but THEN I ran out of machine-useable thread two seams later. So today I focused on finishing the arm armour (tomorrow, the arduous annoying task of velcro) and all the handsewing I could do. Now I feel a bit less Impending Doom, but I am going to be working ALL of easter weekend.