PDA

View Full Version : Making Applique Easier, or Alternatives to doing it

Lisibit
11-04-2002, 05:14 PM
So, I'm still working on my Farah from Tales of Eternia costume, and i've finished all the main pieces. I've been trying to add the details (bluish-wings on the red shirt thing, red whorly things on the sleeve cuffs, white lining around the collar, green leaf things on the orange skirt....)

Originally, I wanted to applique them all, but because most of the pieces are really really curvy, it's been difficult to cut around all of them and make a nice seam...

The cotton i'm working with frays pretty easily, so I don't think I can just glue-gun things on (like some people tend to do...)

Any suggestions on an easier way to do this? I'll try to get some photos of my progress up later.

Ringo
11-04-2002, 08:57 PM
You can by steam a seam in sheets and they use that to attach it to the outfit. I've used it a couple of times and it works very well. Oh, yeah I used a satin stich after I bonded the materials together.

Karisu-sama
11-04-2002, 11:41 PM
"Heat 'n Bond". It's made for appliques.

Koumori
11-05-2002, 06:31 AM
Using heat and bond (or whatever the brand name is) will also help eliminate the fraying problem.

KelBebop
11-05-2002, 03:23 PM
As several people have already mentioned, Heat & Bond is a must! I have done several costumes that required applique detailing, some of them quite small and intricate (Noin's Sanq Kingdom uniform from Gundam Wing comes to mind), and it was a life-saver!

Bond your pieces together using the Heat & Bond, then you can satin-stitch around the edges to give it a clean, finished look. This will also prevent any fraying of your fabric! If you satin-stitch, make sure to use Stiffy (yeah, the brand name makes me giggle, too) tear-away stabilizer to keep it nice and flat while you work.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Ringo
11-05-2002, 06:44 PM
I forgot about stabilizer >_<. Make sure you use it, it makes such a difference. There is also Sulky brand!

Q-Chan
11-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I don't know if you're still working on this, but you could always get fabric paint in the color you want, and just paint it on... It might take longer, but fabric paint doesn't run easily, and it's worth it in the end....

Mink
11-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Does this apply to all costumes? Like I am going to make Asukas plug suit from eva but I dont know how to make the arms black on red without painting it. Also I am doing Fairy Morgan from the Ah My Goddess Movie. Would the same thing work on the lyrca body suits Im going to use?