PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Anime show you saw that got you hooked?

kotoko
11-04-2002, 06:44 PM
mine was sailor moon XP i was like in first grade! hee hee. sry if this thread has already been done..X.X please tell me if it has!!!

KuroBara
11-04-2002, 06:46 PM
>_< I feel old, "Sailor Moon", 6th grade. But, "Fushigi Yuugi" is the series that completely hooked me, that was my freshman year of college.

Cassandra
11-04-2002, 06:50 PM
YOU feel old?! Mine was Sailor Moon and I was in 10th grade...

-.-;

Mei Lan Chang
11-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Unico when I was about six. I'm 19 now.

Spooky Brew
11-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Sailor Moon during that infamous year when CN started showing it....like....five years ago?? Fu** I feel old....hey.....who took my motorized wheelchair??
*vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrr*

RoseDuelist
11-04-2002, 07:49 PM
I first saw Sailor Moon in First Grade too! Then a few years ago I saw Cardcaptors. Then a little later I was introduced to Utena and my obsession just snowballed.

ryuichi fangirl
11-04-2002, 07:51 PM
..I saw Sailor Moon, I can't even remember when that was...but it was Slayers that hooked me, yup gotta luv that Gourry...

ReiChan
11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Sailor Moon, in 7th grade or thereabouts, when it showed on some channel at 6am.

Spooky Brew
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
ReiChan, I think that was USA, channel 2...

Celine
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Ranma 1/2!!!! ^_^ I saw Project A-ko first, I think but Ranma was the one I fell in love with.

Ayaka
11-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion, basically.

psythe
11-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Voltron as a kid, Evangelion later on.

ryuichi fangirl
11-04-2002, 09:09 PM
Ohh, Voltron..very cool...Evangelion is cool but I never figured out what the heck was going on...

And I just remembered, when I was about 5 or 6 I was flipping channels at like midnight, I've never had a bedtime...my mother would tell you this if you were to ask her, and I came across a 'cartoon' (hey, I was 5, what do you expect?) and I started to watch it ...I was scarred for life...it was something about a motorcycle that could turn into a mecha..and people getting shot basically, and I have NO idea what it was called and I've never seen it since...weird....

psythe
11-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Might that have been Cy-Kill from the famed Go-Bots??? :thumbsup:

ryuichi fangirl
11-04-2002, 09:15 PM
..hey, that might be it! I have to check that out. Thanx Psyth

kotoko
11-04-2002, 09:44 PM
sailor moon was for about everbody...then i watched dbz as i got older and then cowboy bebop about a year or two ago got me really obessed ^^

aeva
11-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Pokémon, Digimon, Card Captors, Escaflowne, and Ah! MY Goddess. In order. ^^

kotoko
11-04-2002, 09:57 PM
oo! i fergot about pokemon! i was obsessed fer like 5 months then switched to bebop...i was never into digimon though..

KaitouKurogo
11-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I still remember back in the good old days... **everything goes all wobbly from the flashback**

Fourth grade, I think it was. Samurai Pizza Cats and the first season of Sailor Moon, all in the same hour on Channel 13. Soon after it was Ranma 1/2 (which is still my obsession) and many many more to come after that.

Anyone else remember the old Legend of Zelda show or am I really just an old geezer?

Shadow Lady
11-04-2002, 11:05 PM
When I was younger (around 1st grade I think) I watched Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza Cats.

My friend helped bring back anime into my life by introducing me to pokemon. From there it went to digimon and back to Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z. My Mom seemed to notice my interest in this and rented a Tenchi Muyo tape for me. Yay Tenchi! :D

From then on I have become an anime freak. And still going strong with so many favorites it would take me an hour to list.:)

Fire Hero
11-05-2002, 12:20 AM
I used to watch Voltron as a kid. I watched Akira when it first came here dubbed. I think I was about 12 or something.

makio
11-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Transformers (if that counts) and Robotech/Macross started it off for me, but it was when I saw Ninja Scroll right after playing Samurai Shodown 2 for the first time, I was hooked.

Jubie-Chan
11-05-2002, 10:07 AM
http://www.animevisions.net/Pictures/duo.gif Love and Peace I think my 1st anime that got me hooked was speed racer when i was 5. then it was sailor moon then dragon ball Z. thats how anime started for me

Kia
11-05-2002, 01:20 PM
SAMURI PIZZA CATS!!!! I so completely loved that show! Actually I still do... I even memorized the theme song to drive my best friend crazy! Then it was Sailor Moon, it wasn't until then that I realised that I was watching Anime and what the difference was. I think I was in gr 5 or 6. A few years later they played the Macross Plus OVA's during march break and I've been truly hooked on Anime ever since!

Kia

kotoko
11-05-2002, 05:38 PM
X.x how could i ferget samuri pizza cats! that show was so awesome i watched it everyday!

Kia
11-06-2002, 04:38 AM
A few years ago I tried to start a petition to try and get Samuri Pizza Cats back on the air, I didn't care when, I just wanted it back on tv. They basically told me that the show wasn't that good and I should stop wasting mine and their time...so not feeling the love back then...

Kia

Karisu-sama
11-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Classic Speed Racer. Later, Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman).

Lady Ava
11-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Sailor Moon was mine ^^ 7th grade. then I moved into high school and discovered Evagelion ^^v

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Celine
Ranma 1/2!!!! ^_^ I saw Project A-ko first, I think but Ranma was the one I fell in love with.

Same here. When I was 16. I got the eps from a friend and it was all over for me! :D

But as a lil kid... "Let's go Voltron Force!"

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Classic Speed Racer. Later, Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman).

Have you seen the new Speed Racer? Speed looks like an adult Ash.

Chosuke
11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
RG Veda

Haha..funny how it happened really. ^^;
In grade three I was walking down the Blockuster aisles and spotted my first ever bishounen since Mamoru ^^; <Ryu> on the front cover and then Ashura on the other.
So I picked them up and rented them both.. and then I was completely hooked ^^;

Kioko
11-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Hrm... Samurai Pizza Cats I think... I was probably was watching anime before that but I don’t remember cause I was way younger then... ^^;;; But I think Sailor Moon was the turning point when I really got into anime.

Hiei
11-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho! I was nine or ten, and it' still my all-time favorite. ^_^

Tenjou
11-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Sailor Moon R on Toonami. ^_^ Then it was Tenchi Muyo... and it grew on from there. Like Hamtaro. I got my best friend to watch Hamtaro, and she loves it! we even sing the ending song on the phone when we watch it XD

c0pycat
11-10-2002, 12:14 AM
I'd have to say voltron when i was a kid and again when cartoon network started airing toonami

Nadeshiko
11-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Sailor Moon, no doubt.

Wow...it's been since Oct. 1995! Seven years and counting...

catklysm
11-10-2002, 12:45 AM
I probably watched some animé before I knew what it was, but what really got me started was Samurai Pizza Cats (was I ever obsessed with it when it was on tv). A few years later, after they started showing Sailor Moon I got into it again (another crazy childhood obsession, it used to be all me and my friends talked about). When they stopped showing that, in my anger I searched for it again, and stumbled into other series (and japanese dubbed Sailor Moon). I wish we had Cartoon Network here in Canada, but we don't, so I haven't even seen some of the stuff that they're showing dubbed on Toonami (-_-)*.

Naru
11-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Sailor moon, thought it was halarious and can't believe i ever watched it when i see the episodes again....

kitty_neko
11-10-2002, 11:26 AM
for me it was cowboy bebop.... its weird, i havent even known anime exists 4 atleast a year, but im already COMPLETELY obsessed x.X;

Scarlet Phoenix
11-10-2002, 01:59 PM
I was into sailormoon in 7th and 8th grade, then pokemon, then Ah! My Goddess and then I entered freshman year and allowence stopped. So with no resources, i could no longer afford to feed the fire (so to speak)

Then this summer, I ran into dear Aeva, who lent me some of the best manga and anime around, and introduced to me the wonder of KaZaA. Thank you, Aeva! :)

Fireflyprincess
11-11-2002, 10:42 AM
Sailor Moon, summer before freshman year, then Dragon Ball Z and it was the Mirai Trunks Saga ^. ~

Lina Inverse
11-11-2002, 12:26 PM
The first anime I watched that I was hooked on was Sailor Moon in the fourth grade. That's when my sister intorduced anime into my life.

Chimera_Zero
11-11-2002, 03:05 PM
I think the first anime I ever saw was Transformers in the early 80's(Feels old). But what really got me hooked was Sailor Moon on early morning USA I think...(Season I like best though was S*Is still pissed about the Haruka/Michiru being cousins bit. Damn you Saban, damn you to hell!*)

Carmila
11-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Speed Racer and Unico! My father used to sit me down as far back as I can remember and watch Speed Racer.

Aoshi Shinomori
11-13-2002, 01:16 AM
hmm mine would be Robotech/Macross in the late 80's cuz i grew up on that when i was around 9 or 10. then found Sailormoon one day early morning in the early 90's and got hooked into Ranma 1/2 around 94 or 95.. ( is still hooked) I"m 22 now and still watch anime.. why is it so addicting..

tamahomegurl
11-13-2002, 01:27 AM
lol aoshi-sama!!! ^___- *winks*

i think the first ever anime i watched was voltron: defender of the universe!!! *goes nuts* that was one of the coolest cartoons ever to grace the screen in the 80's!! ^___^ and...i love the haircuts they sport!! *evil cackle* and doremon!! sooooo cool!!! ^__^

sailor moon was alright but i started picking up on anime bug real bad after the first episode of ranma 1/2!! *agrees with aoshi-sama* even though my horizon of animes have expanded, ranma still remains my #1 favorite of all time!!! *imitates the ryouga laugh*

Bell-chan
11-13-2002, 02:10 AM
hmm yeah it was Sailor Moon for me too ^_^ I believe it was a Saturday morning...and I woke up in my living room....T_T well, yep that was when I was in third grade........hmmm that seems like such a long time ago now...it was almost half of my life XD (short life...eh...) :thumbsup: apparently, I'd been watching other anime and didn't even know it until recently >.< but Sailor Moon was/is so cool :p It wasn't until my seventh grade when I started renting the subtitled stuff from a video rental place : It was Saber Marionette J and now it's my favorite anime @_@ next to Ah! My Goddess

Chas
11-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Baaaah, I suck so much. :3

Tenchi Muyo! and The Tenchi Universe in the 8th grade. I taped the "Time And Space Adventures" Arc and watched it until I knew all the dialouge.... dubbed, that is. (But most of us start out that way, anyhow.)

Then as any not-so-otaku of my day would..... there was the never-ending Shin Kidousenki Gundam Wing addiction. Which promptly....ended after watching it through 3 times. And then the Digimon... OH HOW I WATCHED THAT SHOW.... ::stares at a huge scary collection of recorded VHS tapes:: O.O;;

~Chas Tsukishiro

chibi-dj
11-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Ronin Worriors, that was......freshman year in high school (in freshman in college now) <daydreaming> mmmmm seiji.......

~"i don't wanna grow up, cuase if i did, i wouldn't be a toys r us kid!"

lupohki
11-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Voltron and Robotech when I was a kid, but that doesn't really count as I didn't know that was 'anime'. The series that got me looking for other anime was Ranma actually. :razz:

Yautja834
11-15-2002, 11:47 PM
tenchi muyo! i love that show, its so great. i just love everything about it....except that the series was so short, and tenchi in tokyo was a pretty big let down.

Aoshi Shinomori
11-16-2002, 02:30 PM
hi tamahomegurl.. yeah ranma like drowned me in anime.. it was just so hilarious and i got all the jokes and the characters are so well developed. Like there arent any characters that are exactly alike. LOL that ryoga laugh always gets me laughing. My Favorite character is Ranma.. man u have to feel sorry for him somehow.

Broken_Wings
11-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Lemme see... I was in 5th grade and I was home sick one day and I started watching Sailor Moon, back when it used to be on USA Networks. Then I started watching a few movies on the Scifi Channel way back when they had the Saturday Anime. I think my first anime movie was Galaxy Express 999 or Demon City Shinjuku or something like that. It's been so long since I've thought about it... heh

sailor-moon
11-16-2002, 09:50 PM
that would have to be sailor moon, about 4 1/2 years ago*.* when it first aired on cartoon network...still rimember the intro..."this one goes out to all the ladies" ..it will forever haunt me...LOL^.^:crylaugh:

Usagi

Ranma Saotome
11-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
that would have to be sailor moon, about 4 1/2 years ago*.* when it first aired on cartoon network...still rimember the intro..."this one goes out to all the ladies" ..it will forever haunt me...LOL^.^:crylaugh:

Usagi

So ytou mean to tell me you never saw Sailor Moon on WB11 back in 1995-96 @ 6:30AM?

Damn, I still remember getting up @ 5:30 just to be prepared to watch it! :)

Studmaster
11-17-2002, 01:35 AM
The Anime that got to notice was Ronin Warriors in the Summer of '95

The Anime that got me hooked was the Sailor Moon R Movie in '96.

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
So ytou mean to tell me you never saw Sailor Moon on WB11 back in 1995-96 @ 6:30AM?

Damn, I still remember getting up @ 5:30 just to be prepared to watch it! :)

na, i was only 10/11 years old when it was on the WB 11 my mom would never let me wake up that early anyways.

Ranma Saotome
11-17-2002, 02:13 AM
na, i was only 10/11 years old when it was on the WB 11 my mom would never let me wake up that early anyways.

Oh yeah, that's right! I keep forgetting I'm 7 years older than you!!! :p

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 02:20 AM
im lil^.^

Usagi

Ranma Saotome
11-17-2002, 02:49 AM
im lil^.^

Usagi

I know that chibi. :D :p

Aoshi Shinomori
11-19-2002, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

Damn, I still remember getting up @ 5:30 just to be prepared to watch it! :) [/QUOTE

Dude.. I totally remember that.. I woke up early to watch that but i was already into Sailormoon when i went to Canada around 92 or 93.. they had sailormoon stuff everywhere. and i found it one day when i woke up early and watched the WB11 and Sailormoon was on. I was like Wow its on.. and then the whole petition to get it back when it was off.. man i had to wait all those years to see the " lost episodes".. those people who saw it on cartoon network are lucky they didnt have to wait so long to see it... thats when i started to order more fansubs.. heh I was either getting Ranma 1/2 tapes or Sailormoon fansubs.

Mako-san
11-19-2002, 06:00 PM
mmm lets see I think my first anime, besides Voltron, was yeah on Sci-fi saturday morning, Akira, GE 999, etc.
But it was until I got into college when I watched Sailor Moon, twice a day, early morning and afternoon!!!
I bought my first VHS tape when I was junior in college it was Battle Angel Alita!!!! ahhh those were the days!!!
If I had my collection now, back then I would go crazy!!!!

Morbius
11-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Well I grew up with Voltron, Transformers and Robotech but back then I didn't know it was Anime. I didn't even know what Anime was as a word.

But I have to say (as embarrassing as it is cause of my age) Sailor Moon got me hooked into the whole Anime scene. Mostly cause I was just curious what this was all about. And at the time they were the cutest cartoon characters I've ever seen.

But just so you know I don't watch SM anymore. I stopped after the first season and then got hooked on Evangelion. But I'll still stick up for SM if anyone bashes it just cause it introduced me to this great genre.

psythe
11-19-2002, 08:07 PM
It's hot....

Morbius
11-19-2002, 08:08 PM
Yes.

FoxyGrandma
11-19-2002, 08:13 PM
It was never a show that hooked me, but movies.

The first movie that hooked me was Akira.

Evinrude
11-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Unfortunatly, I don't remember the name of the movie that really hooked me, or even the basic plotline. :P

All I remember was a girl, who rode on a sorta flying wing thingy. Giant bugs that looked like rolly-pollies, and bulbous, but somehow aerodynamicly sound flying ships. There was also a recurring tune that I barely remember.

But it was the art that hooked me. :) So, even though I don't remember the name of the movie, I'm glad I saw it.

dianannsano
11-30-2002, 01:45 AM
Mine was Sailormoon, man I remember how me and my sister first saw the commercial.... our jaws were hanging on the ground.... We would always wake up extra early to watch it... *sigh* Sure does bring back memories....

Ranma Saotome
11-30-2002, 02:02 AM
Commercial? Damn... I turned on the tv before I left for school and found it there. ^^ That and the FOX 1 hour special. ^^

videogirlc
11-30-2002, 02:57 AM
Remember watchin Robotech and Voltron as a kid. My art teacher showed us random anime once a week, I highly remember Mermaid Scar in that class. Then I started watching anime on the Sci fi channel. But the one show that pulled me in was Ranma 1/2. Rented a tape watched it and from there on my anime obsession began.

PretearWink
11-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Well, when I was little, I was a Sailormoon addict. But I considered it a cartoon, not anime ^_^; My sophmore year in highschool I met this girl who heard I like video games and asked me if I liked anime.

I stared at her blankly. "What's anime?"

I don't know what happened next. She tweaked out, hit me over the head with a rock, dragged me over to her house, and tied me to a chair....I'm pretty sure. ^_~

Anyway, she showed me all she had of Ah My Goddess. It lulled me into a sense of security. Yes. Anime is a good, fluffy thing. Aaaaaw, the cuteness.

And then she said: How about we watch Evangelion?

"Sure!" ...the naivete.....I miss it....

She sat me down, and over a weekend STRAIGHT, she had me watch the ENTIRE series of Eva and the movie.

That'll warp you. I think that's why I am like I am now ^_~ But yeah, it got me hooked, and I've been spending my paychecks on cosplay, dvds, action figures, and posters ever since ^_^

Ranma Saotome
11-30-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by videogirlc
Remember watchin Robotech and Voltron as a kid.

Never watched Robotech, but I dop remember being up at 6AM watching Voltron and shouting, "Let's go Voltron Force!"

psythe
11-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by PretearWink

She sat me down, and over a weekend STRAIGHT, she had me watch the ENTIRE series of Eva and the movie.

That'll warp you. I think that's why I am like I am now ^_~ But yeah, it got me hooked, and I've been spending my paychecks on cosplay, dvds, action figures, and posters ever since ^_^

Evangelion can do that to a person.... ;)

Chosuke
11-30-2002, 11:30 AM
I was in grade three/two or four when I Sailor moon was popular.
Used to be on EVERY morning and afternoon..
We used to play pretend Sailormoon in the schoolyard and I was always Tuxedo Mask or Luna o.o;
I had ALOT of the merchandise to,including the wand with sound effects and the Tuxedo Mask outfit. ._.

mughi3
12-01-2002, 05:32 AM
1981-starblazers/space battleship yamato...i was 8
i have been hooked ever since
:drink:

Ranma Saotome
12-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by PretearWink
And then she said: How about we watch Evangelion?

"Sure!" ...the naivete.....I miss it....

Evangelion: Advanced Psychology 101. XD

Shoujoka
12-01-2002, 04:29 PM

Sad to say, DUBBED Sailormoon... ;.;
My friend in fifth grade was obsessed with it, I took a liking to it and moved on to subbed episodes and.. Eva.

I've been in love ever since.

~Shoujoka