PDA

View Full Version : If you are so curious here is where I am so far with my Sailor Venus Costume

dani
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Just a few days of work, and I couldn't resist taking and posting some pics.

This is my DRAFT. I haven't touched the nice fabrics yet. Everything is being measured, pinned, repinned, tried, retouched, stitched, ripped, restitched and so on.

The skirts are unhemmed in the pics. I will try different types and lengths to see which looks best.

Only when I'm happy with this version I'll do the final one (hopefully by then I'll have access to a serger).

When the costumes are finished I plan to keep this one as backup.

Please comment and critisize...

Dani

Sweet~Pea
01-08-2004, 06:32 PM
That looks really nice so far. I envy your skill at making the body suit ;) , the two pieces of the front look really good. :japan:
Cheers
-Christa

Hitori
01-08-2004, 11:51 PM
I *luv* the bodi suit part. But other than that, I can't sai much, I don't know the series. Sorri^.^;;

dani
01-09-2004, 12:14 AM
That famous bodysuit wasn't much skill. The main ingredients are sweat and swearing at the sewing machine. I think David Banner was sewing lycra the first time he became Hulk.

The front came out nice, but from the drawings I was hoping the stitch between the two front panels would go just under the bust outlining it, and maybe enhance it with some gathering, but it came out lower and without much gathering.

In reality the body continues under the skirts all the way around and under, as it should. I made that part of a color closer to the inner skirt. Maybe one day I'll feel brave enough to post a pic of it without the skirts. (they come out with snap tape).

Still lots to do.....

Dani

LunarYoma
01-09-2004, 12:37 AM
post a pic of the body suitwithout you in it then. like to see what the underpart of it looks like & how well you made it.

dani
01-09-2004, 12:58 AM
post a pic of the body suit without you in it then. like to see what the underpart of it looks like & how well you made it.

Done!

Don't forget it's very far from finished, and please ignore the pins :)

Dani

Silver Minx
01-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Damn! 0_0 You nailed the body suit really well. >.<. What stretch-fabric did you use?
It looks really good so far, and you have a nice selection of colours. Hmm... Did you end up gathering the skirt more, to enhance the waist? It looks really good so far! Please post pictures when you are finished!

I'm making a full-body plug suit from Evangelion and... ... *falls over, hitting the floor and laughing her ass off* *is crying tears of laughter* Does that say something?

dani
01-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Damn! 0_0 You nailed the body suit really well. >.<. What stretch-fabric did you use?
Whatever lycra they had at my friendly neighbour FabriclandDid you end up gathering the skirt more, to enhance the waist? Yes. Alert: geometry ahead. I started with the biggest outside circle I could make in one piece (60" diameter) and measured in the raw length (16"). That gave me a donut with an interior diameter of 28", or an inside perimeter of 88". The length of the front and back V's where the skirts start is 41", so the gathering for pleating is at a ratio of a bit over 2:1.
Also worth noting that the V's don't start at the waist, but 2" lower on the sides. Right where there is a bone tip sticking out (I'm better at geometry than anatomy). The bottom of the V in front is another 2" down. This will make things interesting at the moment of mesuring the hems.I'm making a full-body plug suit from Evangelion and... ... *falls over, hitting the floor and laughing her ass off* *is crying tears of laughter* Does that say something?
It says you are brave :). Ah... and we want pics now...

Have fun....

Dani

Tenshi
01-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm a bit confused -- are you making a Myu outfit, or some hybrid of anime and Myu style?

The Myu fuku doesn't have the bust seam -- it's only the anime and manga fuku that have it. Also, if you're making a Myu fuku, you might want to make the skirt a bit more high-waisted. Their skirts seem to sit more at the natural waist than the hips.

OK, that's all the picking I'll do. It looks like it's sewn very nicely! I'm sure once you make it out of the better materials, it will look fantastic ^_^.

dani
01-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm a bit confused -- are you making a Myu outfit, or some hybrid of anime and Myu style?

The Myu fuku doesn't have the bust seam -- it's only the anime and manga fuku that have it. Also, if you're making a Myu fuku, you might want to make the skirt a bit more high-waisted. Their skirts seem to sit more at the natural waist than the hips.

Those two points have been (and still are) a big source of discussions inside my own mind.

It's intended to be Myu, but I consider modifications if they make the costume look better on my own body (miles away from the body of a teenage japanese female dancer).

The pattern has both versions, with and without the bust seam, and I wanted to try if the seam makes the bodysuit a bit more tailored and shaped. (I need all the curves I can get)I might try the other version if materials allow.

For this try I attached the skirts where the pattern divided the top and bottom pieces. It's still open for debate. I checked all the sailor costumes I could harvest from all the cosplay sites and in my own mind if the skirts start too high they get to be longer and I get the impression of "standing inside a barrel", like the skirt is creeping to the neck. No idea where my mind gets that image from.

I really thank you and all others for criticism and suggestions that will make this the best costume ever (that i've made, at least).

Cheers

Dani

LunarYoma
01-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Done!

Don't forget it's very far from finished, and please ignore the pins :)

Dani

not bad...............

Miaka No Baka
01-09-2004, 11:42 PM
looks good so far, one thing, are you going to add the hip roll thingie? Other than that it looks like it'll turn out good. I'm working on a sailor mars costume for a friend myself ^_^; Don't worry about if the skirt is "too long" or what not as long as you're comfortable in it it's all good.

Miaka no Baka

dani
01-10-2004, 12:42 AM
looks good so far, one thing, are you going to add the hip roll thingie?
Yes. Today I was working on developing a pattern for the front seam. I want the V to look sharp, not like one straight tube bent at the moment of stitching it to the body. See my test attached.
I'm working on a sailor mars costume for a friend myself ^_^
Well... post some pics... :)
Don't worry about if the skirt is "too long" or what not as long as you're comfortable in it it's all good.
I know the fuku police won't write me a ticket, but I'm really putting an effort in designing every aspect with as much detail as possible.
I harvested from the net about 15 to 20 pictures of the original Myu costumes in different positions and views, and about 20 to 30 pics of good cosplay myu sailor costumes, and I analyze those in detail. I even scaled them to the same size and put them side by side to get proportions.

I know I'll be getting in trouble for saying this, but I don't like the proportions of the skirt in the Myu Venus that the famous Tristen Citrine made. It's very high quality and incredibly crafted, but there is something in the way that skirt is sized and positioned that doesn't convince me.

Maybe being 5'10" (plus 2" heels) I'm proportionally thinner than the original performers and that's why my skirt needs to be optically longer if it starts at the waist.

We'll see what will come up....

Dani

Miaka No Baka
01-10-2004, 01:35 AM
ok got pictures of it. I haven't attached the collar or bows, so bear with how ghetto they look while being pinned on ^_^; I haven't even assembled the bows yet, they're just made up of two rectangles scrunched together in the middle so they're not perfectly even on both sides for the sake of just getting it together for the general idea. All I have to do is sew the padded sleeve thingies, then attach the collar and bows and make the jewel for the front bow. We might change this into the live action tv series mars, which means the collar would need to be redone cause it has 3 small stripes instead of one thick one like the anime has, and there's also a jewel thingie that goes in the center of the padded V shape hip roll thingie. And I might have to redo the skirt cause their skirts are a tad longer and they're all one length like the myu skirts, whereas the anime versions the skirts go up higher on the hips but back lower in the front and back.

Let me know what you think. I think the collar looks a tad wide in the back but I think it'd look odd if I slanted it inwards, right now it's perfect right angle at the back corners.

I understand what you mean about the myu skirts, to me it looks like the myu skirts are eating the person haha so to speak ^_^; I guess it's cause they're up higher and tend to be larger.

Miaka no Baka

dani
01-10-2004, 11:04 AM
ok got pictures of it.
Let me know what you think.
Looks really neat (and shiny!)
One thing I plan to do different is the sleeves. Mine will be wide on top of the shoulder but almost disappearing at the underarm (like a triangle), instead of same width all around the arm.

Let's keep working and compare notes in a few days...

Dani

Miaka No Baka
01-10-2004, 11:53 AM
yeah that's the same thing I'm doing, I'm using the pattern's cap sleeve pattern piece, cutting 4 out, using two per sleeve, then using batting between the two layers and stitching the 2 lines to make it have the 3 bump look. I don't know if I'm supposed to finish this up yet or not, I haven't been able to get ahold of my friend. ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

yukitoLeonheart
01-10-2004, 01:28 PM
OH WOW!!!!!!! I knew this would be amazing!!!!! congrats, the body suit and the skirt( esp the skirt) are stunning........... I can't wait!!!!! I am so excited to see the gloves, the blonde hair and the heels!!!!! You are definately deyong skilled!

Schu
01-11-2004, 03:18 AM
As awkard as it might sound, I think you might consider bringing the skirt hem up about two inches or so, just so it clears your knees completely, and at least gives the illusion of having your thighs showing. My only other suggestion would be to add some stiff interfacing at the waist and hem to give it a lighter, poofier look.

However, it looks awesome! Those are just minor things, and it will look great regardless. :3 I can't wait to see it finished.

dani
01-11-2004, 12:23 PM
As awkard as it might sound, I think you might consider bringing the skirt hem up about two inches or so, just so it clears your knees completely, and at least gives the illusion of having your thighs showing. My only other suggestion would be to add some stiff interfacing at the waist and hem to give it a lighter, poofier look.
Not akward at all. I haven't done any hemming yet. That's the plan for this week. I have no problem in showing some thigh.

Being an irregular waist, it took me a while to figure out a way to measure a straight hem. What i did was to measure from the real waist to the start of the skirt at several places and WRITE the measure on the seam. So the next step is to mark the hem substracting at each point the intended length minus the amount I wrote. Not sure if the explanation came out underestandable. Let me know and I can do a drawing.

Regarding interfacing, I'll see how it flows when it's hemmed and the gold trim added. Also have some fishing line on hold, just in case.

Thanks again for all thesuggestions...

Dani

Mizuno Tenshi
01-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Nice costume so far. Skirt needs to be shorter, for sure, though.

Two big things I can think of. A more sharply angled 'V' for the waist and skirt would look better. Second, and not to offend, but the body doesn't look right, and I think the skirt has something to do with it. It makes your hips look too wide, and the top doesn't seem to balance out enough. The sleeves will help some, but... you're getting towards the pear look right now, honestly. Maybe making the chest a bit bigger would help? Especially since you're taller and need to proportion things a bit larger. Also, do you have any bodyshaping stuff under the suit? It would be really cool if you could make something you can sew into it, and then you could get the waist a bit more towards what you want, and try and look even better than the original performers. I mean, if you gotta dream big, go for it. ^__^
'sides... from what I've seen of the Myu performers, the live action actors are WAAAY cuter. ;)

Tenshi

dani
01-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Skirt needs to be shorter, for sure, though.
Just give me a couple of days and people will be suggesting me to make it longer! :) :) :)

A more sharply angled 'V' for the waist and skirt would look better. Let's see how it looks when i put the waist pipe.

the body doesn't look right, and I think the skirt has something to do with it. It makes your hips look too wide, and the top doesn't seem to balance out enough. The sleeves will help some, but... you're getting towards the pear look right now, honestly. Maybe making the chest a bit bigger would help? Especially since you're taller and need to proportion things a bit larger. The wide hips look comes from the skirts pleating, and that's by design. I tried to make them as full and fluffy as possible. Maybe for my next progress pics I'll put a reference pic side by side.
Honestly, until you just mentioned it I had never considered the bust size and how it affects the overall look. Maybe I'm too conservative by default in that area, and was always afraid of going to an excess and looking too exagerated. Definitely something to study more.
Also, do you have any bodyshaping stuff under the suit? It would be really cool if you could make something you can sew into it, and then you could get the waist a bit more towards what you want, and try and look even better than the original performers. I have my whole parafernalia of standard body shaping underneath. The fact that you ask that tells me it doesnt show too artificial. And that includes the best (smallest) waist I can get with my super-duper corset.
'sides... from what I've seen of the Myu performers, the live action actors are WAAAY cuter. ;)Of course, but how many are there in the world? they are like 0.000000000000001% of the population. The rest of us mere mortals need to make do with what mama gave us.

More updates soon....

Dani

Mizuno Tenshi
01-12-2004, 07:25 AM
The wide hips look comes from the skirts pleating, and that's by design. I tried to make them as full and fluffy as possible. Maybe for my next progress pics I'll put a reference pic side by side.
Honestly, until you just mentioned it I had never considered the bust size and how it affects the overall look. Maybe I'm too conservative by default in that area, and was always afraid of going to an excess and looking too exagerated. Definitely something to study more.
I have my whole parafernalia of standard body shaping underneath. The fact that you ask that tells me it doesnt show too artificial. And that includes the best (smallest) waist I can get with my super-duper corset.

Yeah, I though the wide hip look thing was intentional. And the waist did look pretty good. Remember, though, you're doing costumes from Sailor Moon, a series which got mentioned in the Barenaked Ladies song "One Week" as "the boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing". I'd say up two cups sizes... and that would probably do it.

And make that skirt short! j00 can do it! We beleeeeeeeve in j00! ;)

Tenshi

dani
01-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Is this hem short enough to be accurate?

Dani

Miaka No Baka
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
wow! That's looking really good ^_^ Are you comfortable with the length of it though? Just make sure you are ^_^

Miaka no Baka

dani
01-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Are you comfortable with the length of it though?

like a kid in a candy store... :)

Dani

Rethul
01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
That's coming along really nicely Dani. I see nothing wrong with it at the moment. I wish I could sew that well, at this moment in time I'm still struggling with the dark magic of my sewing machine (at least that's what I think makes it work...)

*Waits avidly for the next installment of pictures.*

Schu
01-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I love the shorter skirt!! Perhaps bring the sides (far let and far right) up a little, since SM skirts tend to be sort of waved (did I explain that at all?).

I think your body lends itself well to the Myu look, since they don't really look like the waify manga and anime drawings. And you have better legs than I do... ~! Lucky lucky.

dani
01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Perhaps bring the sides (far let and far right) up a little, since SM skirts tend to be sort of waved (did I explain that at all?).
Yes, I know what you mean. Measuring a hem on a pleated skirt, with an uneven waist, on a lycra bodice that only takes the final shape when worn, by myself, and trying to get wavy bottom edge it's easier said than done. :)
I think your body lends itself well to the Myu look, That's been the best news of the day, so far.
And you have better legs than I do... ~! Lucky lucky.
40 minutes of threadmill every day in 2" heels and you call it luck??

Thanks for your input....

Dani

Mizuho
01-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Wow, that is impressive!! I love the way the skirt looks. I can't wait to see the finished product!!

Karisu-sama
01-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Way to go! I can't wait to see it with the sleeve caps and bows! ^^

I think your legs look just like the Myu girl's.

Mizuno Tenshi
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Cyuuuute! That looks just about right. :)
So far, so very, very good.

Tenshi

Kuri-chan
01-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Oh my goodness! Dani, you look great! I wish I had something helpful and technical to add, but I don't know enough about sewing to comment. ^^; It looks fantastic, maybe that's enough said. ^_^

-Kuri

Hanyaan
01-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I think that the skirt is quite accurate to the Myu fuku...

and your legs are GREAT, Dani. They're better than mine, at any rate. XD You really pull off the crossplay well; I have some friends who would swear the model in the unfinished costume was a girl. ^_^

chibi_kitsune
01-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Wow that looks really nice so far, I bet it will turn out great when it's done.

P.s. hey my nickname is Dani too heehee, it's short for my really name Danielle.

TsukiGuujin
01-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh, Dani, I really like that fuku! Muchly!
The skirt does need to "puff" more, or whatever the word, to be Myu-style, but wow. Just wow.

I luff it. ^^

BTW, I'm sorry I'm not any help. I'm just looking, commenting, and trying to learn. Hope no one minds. ^___^

~~Tsuki~~

Miaka No Baka
01-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I think once you add the trim to the edge of the skirt it's gonna help give it that wavy look towards the bottom. It definately looks like enough fabric is there. ^_^ I'm almost done with my friend's mars costume, I finished the collar, the bows and am working on the sleeves now. Give me an hour or two and I should have pics ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

dani
01-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Today I made the waist snake and pinned the body trim.

Is the trim in the right place????

Thanks

Dani

Rethul
01-19-2004, 06:08 PM
That looks awesome so far Dani! From what I can see the trim is in the right place.

Also what (if any) kind of wig are you planning to wear for this costume? Sailor Venus's hair is pretty long so there's not much way to do it with your hair (no offence intended).

dani
01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Also what (if any) kind of wig are you planning to wear for this costume? Sailor Venus's hair is pretty long so there's not much way to do it with your hair.
I'm borrowing a wig from the girl that was S Venus last year in our Sera Myu group. As soon as I get it I'll incorporate it in the pics.

Thnks for your comments

Dani

Nine
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Wow, your Sailor Venus costume is coming along very well! You should be so proud of yourself for making it so well! I've seen so many Sailor (insert planet here) costumes which are so horrible, it's so good to see someone actually making one properly.

Tenshi
01-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Very nice ^^.

The trim is wrong, however -- the two in front and two in back twist toward the sleeves and hit them about midway. They never meet. You can see it a bit in the picture I've attached.

Eleryth
01-21-2004, 02:08 AM
*speechless* Awesome, Dani, just awesome!! I like the lower skirt. The Myu outfits to me always make the girls look bigger than they are, because there's so little body showing... just bow and skirt. Lends itself to that barrel you pictured. ;) It looks *really* good to me. (Still in awe over the skirts and bodysuit construction...)

I wish I could attend AN to see it!!

Kisa
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
We'll miss you at AN E :(

dani
01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
This morning I checked the calendar: it happened to be "Sew the trim to the skirts" day.
It was quite a task, as each hem is over 5 metres long with all the pleating. I used a wide xmas trim cut in half, sewn twice to have a raised look. First I stitched the back of the trim to the hem, then I bent it and stitch it again without marking the fold. It ends up being a LOT cheaper than pineapple pleat and I think from a distance it does the trick.

Still a lot to go....

Dani

chibi_kitsune
01-26-2004, 05:24 PM
This morning I checked the calendar: it happened to be "Sew the trim to the skirts" day.
It was quite a task, as each hem is over 5 metres long with all the pleating. I used a wide xmas trim cut in half, sewn twice to have a raised look. First I stitched the back of the trim to the hem, then I bent it and stitch it again without marking the fold. It ends up being a LOT cheaper than pineapple pleat and I think from a distance it does the trick.

Still a lot to go....

Dani
So each day you have planned on want to do with sewing your costume? mmm I think I should try that maybe i'll get some stuff done, I have lot to do yet so little sewing skills still but I always learn something new.

Miaka No Baka
01-26-2004, 11:03 PM
looking good! All ya need next is the collar and the bows and you're like all set XD

Miaka no Baka

Darien
01-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Dani, I saw the costume you have done and it's really cute. I would like to see the finished project. Because it looks like you worked really hard on it. The question I like to ask is who did you crossplay as in past conventions.

dani
01-27-2004, 01:46 PM
The question I like to ask is who did you crossplay as in past conventions.
And the answer is very easy: the next con I attend will be the first one as a full fledged cosplayer.
A few years ago I was young and naive and visted a Star Trek con just out of curiosity. I threw on a uniform top I had leftover from halloween. See my gallery.
More updates in about a week...

Dani

Arrow
01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Wow! Those drafts are excellent. I can't wait to see the real fabric. I'm familiar with Sailor Moon, but not an expert on it, but from what I know and what I've seen, that looks great.

And by the way, I'm insanely jealous of how good your legs look. :P!

TsukiGuujin
01-28-2004, 01:39 PM
>>And by the way, I'm insanely jealous of how good your legs look

Yeah, me tooooooo!

~~Tsuki~~

dani
01-28-2004, 06:28 PM
>>And by the way, I'm insanely jealous of how good your legs look
Yeah, me tooooooo!

Which goes to prove once more the old truth that too often is the people with forks that get the soup.

This takes cosplay to a new level, because it its the ONLY channel that allows me the duty to share them with the world :) A higher calling, if you will... I guess I have no choice but to keep crossplaying...

Expect my next costume update by monday.

Dani

dani
02-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Well... today is bad news day... spent the morning developing and testing a sleeve pattern, but as you can see it leaves a lot to be desired.

This is actually my second attempt. The first test was by the instructions someone posted based on a full circle and I didn't like the way it came out. Today I tried to fix it but... still no luck.

Let's hope the third one is the last one.

I'm as anxious as all of you together to see this costume finish, and I'd love nothing more than to share my progress with you. Sorry to disappoint, but I must share the bad ones too....

To share a bit of good news for contrast, almost ALL my classmates at my sewing class complimented me on the dress I wore today to class. Turquoise was suddenly everybody's favorite color.

Back to the drawing board.....

Dani

Miaka No Baka
02-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I would take the sleeve and make it shorter then sew the grooves in it. For the one I did I used the cap sleeve pattern then sewed the two together and sewed the grooves into it. If you take the sleeve length up a little it'll look better.

Miaka no Baka

chibi_kitsune
02-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Don't worry, i'm sure you'll get it right soon. That happens at times when making clothes and costumes but once it's done I think it'll look great.

Young Blood
02-02-2004, 10:44 PM
It looks great Dani ^_~ nice legs. ^^
I'd say make it a little shorter. Unless you prefer it long. (Not as short as it is in the actual anime of course... Not even *I* would do that, and I'm a female.. ^^

BIOJECT
02-02-2004, 11:24 PM
I think the skirts still too long and big. You should shorten it to the point where it's almost showing underwear. Just giving example to how short the ones are in the series.

Mizuno Tenshi
02-03-2004, 12:42 AM
I think the skirts still too long and big. You should shorten it to the point where it's almost showing underwear. Just giving example to how short the ones are in the series.

It's based on the Sera Myu Musical outfits, which are FAR different from the costumes in the series.
On a side note, the skirts in the original manga were even SHORTER than in the anime, if memory serves. ~_^

Tenshi

dani
02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
The skirts have been hemmed and gold trim attached, so I don't plan on making changes to them. At least until I complete this prototype and get on with the final version.

I'm sure the bottom part of the body will peek out once in a while with regular movements and walking, even at this length. The trim has a lot of body and weight, so there is some inertia to the way the skirts flow. Nothing to worry about, the body has been prepared for this eventuality.

My concern today is the sleeves. I will take that one apart, make it shorter and wider, and see how it comes out.

Thanks all for your comments

Dani

neko rinchan
02-03-2004, 07:22 PM
although i havn't started on my sailor moon costume yet, and therefore havn't had to make the sleves yet, i'm still gonna offer some advice. i personally think you should start the sleves "further up" on the shoulder. the first ring, for lackof a better word, might look better if you sew it so it's sitting right on top of your shoulder. basically, just move it up a "ring length" (or whatever the width of the ring is, move it that length up your shoulder) or basically to where the side trim is.
and it might also help to make three seperate rings, that are "thinned out" or pinched at the underarm. based on the anime the smallest part of the ring is one quarter of the size of the rest of the ring, and in the live action, i don't think the rings are "full rings" that wrap all the way around the shoulder.
well, i hope this helps you, and that you can make sense of this... this is the way i'm doing the rings on my sailor moon costume, so hopefully it'll work.

katrinastrife
02-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Aha! Here's the thread for this! ^,^

I think you're doing an excellent job! The skirt is everything that a myu skirt should be. @_@ It's weird, how you made it seems to be what I thought it should look like, but could never exactly draw out or describe before. If this is a draft, I can't wait to see the real deal!

AlikNyankoChan
02-03-2004, 11:34 PM
The trim on the bodice for Sera-Myu follows princess seams...front and back. Just so you know.

~Alik

dani
02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Another day, another try at the cursed sleeve.

As suggested, I applied it further up on the shoulder, but ending at the same place on the underarm, effectively changing its angle.

I used the same piece (it's a prototype after all) and it got to be too small for the new position so I added a supplement on the underarm. I'm not sure it's such a bad idea to leave the underarm without batting.

After a fit test, I can assure it's comfortable and I can move my arms as Moonlight Densetsu steps indicate without problems.

The plan so far is to make the final pattern adding the pattern for this sleeve plus the underarm supplement into one piece.

Please tell me if that underarm without batting it's too visible and out of place. Also please note I changed the princess seam trim as per the suggestions I've been receiving. As soon as I can get the sleeves out of the way I have to tackle the collar.

The avatar is brand new, extracted from the "Cabaret" collection of my gallery. Feel free to check it out...

Till soon...

Dani

Kisa
02-10-2004, 09:35 AM
I'd leave the bottom free. It looks a bit more finished with it there, but if they didn't put it in for the live-action TV-series, you don't have to either!

dani
02-17-2004, 12:30 AM
I think today I closed the SLEEVES chapter. ( I hope). Took the advice I was given and fixed the princess trim too.

More pics than you can chew can be found in my gallery:

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=11502

Next installment....... The Collar (insert Jaws music here)

Kudos welcome, and criticism even more welcome...

Dani

Rethul
02-17-2004, 06:19 PM
I think the sleeves came together really nicely. Good job *classy clapping*. Good luck on the collar, it's arguably one of the most important parts of the costume. (No pressure :) )

Olivia
02-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Eeek! Dani, I envy your thighs! I wish mine were that slim! :eeek: :thumbsup:

It looks great. You did excellent on the skirt! And so-o-o much attention to detail! It's one of the best I've seen.

The sleeves (I hate spelling that word!) seem a bit off... The shirt seems so see-through and the sleeves seem so thick...

I LOVE YOUR SHOES!

Sounds odd, but I'm quite curious on what you'll do with your hair! I think you'd be so pretty as a blonde! :thumbsup:

Great job on your costume so far!!! :bigtu:

dani
02-17-2004, 10:27 PM
The sleeves (I hate spelling that word!) seem a bit off... The shirt seems so see-through and the sleeves seem so thick...
Thanks for bringing that up. The sleeves have two layers of batting inside, so they are supposed to be this thick.

Regarding the body, I initially tried lining it (two lycra layers) but I didn't like it so I decided to make it single layer and work with the undergarments better. And that's precisely what I didn't do when I took those photos. I was wearing the wrong bra, just because it was the one I had on from that morning when I went out to sewing classes.

Before getting drastic, I'm waiting for the collar and the bows to be in place, to see how much of the body is still showing and if any outstanding transparency problem can be fixed with undergarments. So something to keep an eye on...

Sounds odd, but I'm quite curious on what you'll do with your hair! I think you'd be so pretty as a blonde!
One of the girls of my sera-myu group was Venus last year, so I'm supposed to borrow her wig. No idea how it will look yet, so I'm as curious as you :)

Thanks...

Dani

Olivia
02-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for bringing that up. The sleeves have two layers of batting inside, so they are supposed to be this thick.

Regarding the body, I initially tried lining it (two lycra layers) but I didn't like it so I decided to make it single layer and work with the undergarments better. And that's precisely what I didn't do when I took those photos. I was wearing the wrong bra, just because it was the one I had on from that morning when I went out to sewing classes.

Before getting drastic, I'm waiting for the collar and the bows to be in place, to see how much of the body is still showing and if any outstanding transparency problem can be fixed with undergarments. So something to keep an eye on...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh ok, it took me awhile but now I see where you're coming from! :thumbsup:

Well, if you want to take more photos but don't want the shirt to seem so thin, you can try lighting on the sides. I know you've got those gold sequins, but if you light both sides of your costume, it should eliminate the shadows and thinness of your costume, and also "bounce" off of the sequins in a nice way.

I added an attatchment of what just lighting up the photo would do just in case you had no clue what I was saying (because I honestly can't understand myself either!) :thumbsup: It wasn't the best work (hey, it was done on photoshop!) but it gets the basic idea :)

dani
02-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Well, if you want to take more photos but don't want the shirt to seem so thin, you can try lighting on the sides. I know you've got those gold sequins, but if you light both sides of your costume, it should eliminate the shadows and thinness of your costume, and also "bounce" off of the sequins in a nice way.
Yes, definitely. I'm a photography newbie, besides point and shoot. So I saw that the buil-in flash wasn't doing enough and decided to "supplement" with spotlights pointed towards myself. Now that I tried to learn a bit about lighting in photography I see that it wasn't the best move.

For my next shoot I'll try to get a more diffuse light, AND calibrate the white balance. Something I had no idea about just a week ago...

Thanks for your help

Dani

Maryssa
02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Well thats the last time I give out advice on how to make myu costumes. So much for receiving credit when help is given.

dani
02-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Well thats the last time I give out advice on how to make myu costumes. So much for receiving credit when help is given.
If I had to add all the people whose experience I'm drawing from for making this costume, the number would be huge. That includes the forums on this board, private messages, comments in my gallery, MSN, email, pics and explanations I found in other websites and other people I know personally.

I LOVE it. All that massive collective wisdom gets combined with snapshots I take from the musical videos, patterns that I find similar and use for reference, my own interpretation, my trials and errors, and adaptations to suit the materials I found, my own particular body and my taste.

Everything is considered, but as I'm making only ONE costume at the end only ONE way is chosen for every detail. All ideas, opinions and comments are treasured the same, nonetheless.

And even when I've made a point of making very clear the value I put on the info I receive, and thanking directly every direct message or posting I've received, there is no actual list of credits. First because it would be a task on itself to keep track of such a list, and second because I honestly never suspected people would be interested in it.

So right now I'd like to take the opportunity to thank again to all the people who in any form has helped (and will continue doing so, I hope) in this, my first cosplay project ever.

Now back to the collar.....

Dani

Olivia
02-22-2004, 11:31 PM

whoah, where did a Myu costume enter this topic? *just curious* :eeek:

hold it, never mind, gosh now I feel bad :woah:

but I still like your costume Dani! :thumbsup:

dani
02-24-2004, 12:35 AM
As promised, today I worked on the collar. I made lots of changes and tests to my cardboard mockup, then tested it with foam sheet (flooring underpad) and today I couldn't resist anymore and went head on to the fabric.

I'm pleased with the overall size and shape of it. Still need to do the bottom layer (which will be heavily interfaced too) and a second row of gold trimings.

The plan is to use some kind of snaps or hooks at the center front and on the sides of the neck to attach it to the body. Maybe I need to reinforce the body in those places, and put the lycra equivalent of bias tape all around the body neck.

It will be removable to make it easier to put the whole costume on.

So... am I on the right track with that collar, or I'm goofing somewhere?

Thanks all...

Dani

Full body http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=114642&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Mid shot http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=114633&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Closeup http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=114632&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

SongofAmazon
02-24-2004, 03:16 PM
I don't know if you plan to, but I suggest you put some of the orange on the underside of the collar to cover the interfacing. The boddice, as said before, looks awesome. ^^ I'm working on a mercury myu fuku at the moment and I have yet to find a fabric I like for the boddice.

Olivia
02-24-2004, 04:48 PM
The shirt looks MUCH better! Great collar! :thumbsup:

Nine
02-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Awesome Collar dani! May I ask how you got it to maintain the shape? I'm working on a costume for le blanc, and the collar needs to maintain a shape gravity won't like... lol

dani
02-27-2004, 07:29 AM
I fused the heaviest interfacing I could find, and the shape itself does the rest. The front piece comes down at an angle, so when positioning straight it raises the shoulder. Still needs a bottom layer, for color and to make it stronger.

Cheers...
Dani

dani
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Today was "Learn-how-to-make-a-bow Day". I didn't have time to get into my sailor outfit but wanted to show today's progress.

It might sound trivial to experienced bow makers, but it was my very first one, and took me three hours of work.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=115546&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Enjoy....
Dani

TsukiGuujin
03-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh, Dani, that's fantastic!!!
The bows that I made for our fukus are very manga-style looking, not anything like the Sera Myu ones. My mind is BOGGLED at how you made that. O_O

~~Tsuki~~

dani
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Let me unboggle you in a second.

I cut a piece with a lenght equal to both tails plus twice the width of the bow I wanted, and width equal to twice the height i wanted for the final bow.

I folded lenghtwise to make a skinny strip, put netting inside all the way and serged the three borders. Then I sewn that infamous gold trim all the way around. It can be sewn too as the trims will cover the seams.

After that I folded the piece in a kind of zigzag like this:
................ ____
___________> <__________

and sewn together where the two > < meet. The two long ________ are the tails and the short ___ on top is the front of the bow.

(The dots are supposed to be blank spaces. Just that the system erases spaces at the front of a line)

Then I made a small "napkin holder" ring with fabric (plus trim) for the center.

Finally it was time to roll the whole thing, slide it halfway into the ring, and give it shape.

As a french magician would say..... Voilá!

Enjoy....
Dani

TsukiGuujin
03-08-2004, 01:05 PM
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!
I'll definitely be using this tutorial when I make our Sera Myu fukus.
Would you be willing to PM it to me, please?

~~Tsuki~~

dani
03-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Things are starting to get in position. I still have a full page list of things to do and fix, but the main components are somewhat in place.
Today's pics are:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116574&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116623&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116631&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116673&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Enjoy...
Dani

lemming
03-09-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm just in awe...I wish I had better words than 'wow!' to describe how beautiful that looks. :)

And I agree with everyone else...those legs just aren't fair....;)

TsukiGuujin
03-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Seriously!
I totally agree with lemming on that!
It's just a beautifully done costume!
How'd you get the collar to stand up so well!?

~~Tsuki~~

dani
03-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Don't pay much attention to the collar just yet. It's due for a major oveerhaul. Always fun at 10 days of a con :)

I don't like how it stands and have some ideas to fix it. Be patient :)

Thanks for the compliments...
Dani

Olivia
03-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Things are starting to get in position. I still have a full page list of things to do and fix, but the main components are somewhat in place.
Today's pics are:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116574&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116623&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116631&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=116673&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Enjoy...
Dani

wow, Dani! You're so uber-pretty! :thumbsup:

It looks so awesome! I hope my Sailor Mercury and Saturn outfits turn out just as great as yours has so far! I love your work, great job! :thumbsup:

archangeli
03-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Don't pay much attention to the collar just yet. It's due for a major oveerhaul. Always fun at 10 days of a con :)

ok. cuz i was going to say something hehe :dance:

damn you and your sexy legs. *rar*

see you at MTAC!!

dani
03-11-2004, 11:09 AM
ok. cuz i was going to say something hehe
What were you going to say? It might not be what i'm working on...

My goal is to have the shoulder go down first and then up, instead of straight up, and it's been keeping me busy.

Of course it needs orange at the bottom, that's a given...

What else?

Ah: Gloves are done, including the puffy orangy shiny elbow cuff.

Dani

TsukiGuujin
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
>>I don't like how it stands and have some ideas to fix it. Be patient

Really!?
I think it looks okay. ^^
I want to know how you MADE it stand up at all!

~~Tsuki~~

dani
03-11-2004, 10:24 PM
It's a combination of: the shape of the piece, heavy interfacing and the points where it's held.
Now I'm adding a wedge to make the shoulders go first down and then up, which will change the whole dynamics of the shape, and will make it impossible to lay flat again. And also adding the bottom layer, which I plan to attach with both pieces curved in position, so they will be shifted, further keeping the curve shape. (Not sure if I was able to explain that at all)
Now I must hurry up :)
Dani

dani
03-12-2004, 10:23 AM
This is what I was talking about:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=117531&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

One week to the con and SO MUCH tto do....
Dani

dani
03-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Venus got a purse
There was no way to make hidden pockets on the costume, big enough for the camera, cellphone, keys, wallet... So I put the leftover materials together and came up with this:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=118217&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Also made choker, earrings, and wrking on the brooch.
Four days to the con. YAY!
Dani

Rethul
03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Congrats Dani, you pulled this costume together real well and real fast. It is easily the best Sailor Scout Costume I have ever seen. You get "Rethul's Seal of Approval"
*STAMP*
I think I can say with relative certainty that we all eagerly await to see the finished product, as well as a small con report perhaps? :) Please?

dani
03-16-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't know about "best". Many crafty people has made impressive sailors before.

But certainly, I did put all I had in this costume and I'm happy my effort is paying off by way of so many positive comments, which I thank wholeheartedly.

And be sure I'll flood the site with pics from the con :)

Dani

dani
03-18-2004, 06:05 PM
More accesories:
I made a choker (no pic), earrings and a brooch. This last piece took a LOT of thought and trials before finding the proper materials and techniques to make it. I think it looks nice: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=118472&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Two days to the con!!!
Dani

Kokuu
03-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Man, I can't believe how nicely everything is turning out. *is uber jealous* Props to the accessories and the bow! You're going to have to do some kind of kick ass photo shoot when you're all done.

dani
03-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I think a costume is never finished (at least mine) but it's safe to say this one has left "in progress" to achieve "usable" state. Pics of it will be flooding my gallery, no doubt. Keep checking it regularly.
For a full report of its debut at a con see my posting: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32077
There are improvements, repairs and redesigns in the horizon, so this thread still has life. Also I'd be glad to help anyone with anything I can.
Must acknowledge that a big source of strenght and inspiration to get where I am so far has been the support of the cosplay community. Through this thread, comments on the gallery, private messages, instant messaging, people I met in person, and so on...
Stay tuned....
Dani

Eleryth
03-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey Dani! Went thru some of your photos, and just wanted to ask something. Did you wear a wigcap with your wig? I read about the marks your wig left behind, but I wasn't sure. I ask only because sometimes the hair right on the sides above the ears is showing in your photos. I know it's really hard to get rid of, but if you weren't wearing a wigcap (like pantyhose for your head) it might help. If you were, then... I have no idea.

Looks really awesome though! Incredibly!

dani
03-21-2004, 11:23 PM
The cause is very simple: "last-minuteness". The morning of the con I met with my wigcap, wig and tiara for the first time, got them on, and out I went.

Lessons for next time are: to shave my sideburns a bit higher, to loosen the elastics somewhat (dunno if the marks were from the cap, the wig, or both together) and to NOT hold the tiara in place by sliding the ends under the wig elastic.

Not surprisingly, the only thing I didn't practice and experiemnt in advance was the only thing that gave problems. The message is clear... :)

Dani

TsukiGuujin
03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
I have to shave sideburns and my widow's peak to wear wigs. XP
I agree with sticking the tiara under wig elastic being a bad idea!
We actually bobbypinned ours under our wigs. THAT was evil. At the con we went to, we didn't have them, to tell the truth. We forgot bobby pins! *falls over*
Our costumes were only about 85% finished, though. We told everyone that we got interrupted halfway during our transformation sequences.
Dani, your costume is absolutely beautiful. You make a wonderful Venus. Congrats!

~~Tsuki~~

dani
03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Dani, your costume is absolutely beautiful. You make a wonderful Venus. Congrats!
Awww....gawsh..... You really know how to make a guy blush :)

Dani

TsukiGuujin
03-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey, just telling the truth!

Rethul
03-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Hmm, I was looking at your recent con photos dani and I was wondering if you could post some side shots of you wearing the wig. I was thinking about the placement of the bow in your hair, because in all the shots I've seen of Sailor Venus, her hair is tied back and stays behind her shoulders. Now I'm no sailor moon fanboy, so I'm not an expert, but I just think things like this change and excellent costume to a perfect costume.

WoodenCoyote
03-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Its budda-ful, darling.

dani
03-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Rethul: I took a load of pics this morning, but now that I look at them none has a side view of the wig :(
I'll make sure to make some next time I'm all dolled up. In the meantime I'll check some videos for reference.
Thanks for the observation
Dani

dani
03-30-2004, 12:47 PM
The latest addition to my S Venus lineup: a civvies look.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=121842&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Enjoy...
Dani

yakineko oni
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
The latest addition to my S Venus lineup: a civvies look.

that looks very cute!

good job finding matching shoes, too! that's pretty cool. ^_^

dani
03-31-2004, 07:49 AM
good job finding matching shoes, too!
Very easy to do, with a brush and a bit of paint... ;)

Dani

Nine
03-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Your Venus costume turned out so well! The extensive coverage of how you've made it will surely help a lot of people in making their own Sailor Scout costumes. Great job. ^^d

dani
04-04-2004, 06:59 PM
The next chapter of the Sailor Venus saga is detailed here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32802

Enjoy...
Dani

Eleryth
04-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Dani,

Awesome work. You almost make me want to make a Sailor Scout costume! That's impressive. Glad your costume got the attention it deserves, and can't wait to see more photos!