PDA

View Full Version : DON'T FORGET Members Only Sale at Fabricland (details inside)!

Kaijugal
01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
YAY! IT's that time of year again! :jjacks: :jjacks: :jjacks: !!

http://www.fabricland.ca/news.html

lainey
01-09-2004, 10:15 PM
yeah i just got a flyer in the mail yesterday....mmm..

heki-chan
01-10-2004, 03:22 AM
i never got a flyer.....they hate me ;_;

but omigosh HEHE we're gonna go rampage there HEHE

i hope Dan can come to sauga on the 17th ;_;

Sarcasm-hime
01-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Durrrr.....my membership expired in August. hmmmmm.

Kia
01-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Damn.... I didn't find the date off until too late.. I can only hope my work hasn't scheduled me right in the middle of the sale or I'll never make it there...
... work sucks ...

dani
01-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Mine is up and running. If you want to meet we can pass your purchases through mine. I'm around the south-west of TO. (Etobicoke)

Seeyou

Dani

Yuna-X2
01-10-2004, 03:30 PM

Why not just go update it before the same? :)

neko rinchan
01-10-2004, 07:44 PM
YAY! i luv sales! gonna haired fur for my kouga costume XD

dani
01-10-2004, 08:03 PM
YAY! i luv sales! gonna haired fur for my kouga costume XD

I used white fake fur for the trims on this pics:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=100254&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=100255&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

It comes in rolls 1 foot wide by 5 feet (12"x 60"). Regular price is $12, but I got it at the discount Fabricland store in Richmond Hill for $5.

Have fun

Dani

Sarcasm-hime
01-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Hm, might take you up on that, Dani, as I don't go to Fabricland much; can usually find better selection on Queen West. What was the date again? They seem to have changed the link as it now goes to a news page from November...-.-;;

dani
01-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Hm, might take you up on that, Dani, as I don't go to Fabricland much; can usually find better selection on Queen West. What was the date again? They seem to have changed the link as it now goes to a news page from November...-.-;;

It's sat jan 17. I've seen to several of their stores, and the one I like best is in Mississauga. 25 John Street, at Hurontario. It's a few blocks north of the Queensway. They have a good stash of leftover/sale/liquidation rolls of fabric, and on sale days there isn't that many people. I've seen long lineups on another Fabriclands on members-only one day sale.

Let me know...

Dani

lainey
01-11-2004, 06:40 PM
i might go to one in Mississauga, or one in downtown (Yonge and Bloor Hugdon Bay Centre...right on the subway line)

But i'm going for sure...I've got a membership MUAH

Kaijugal
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Come with me ;) I just renewed mine. :)

archangeli
01-17-2004, 06:22 PM
I bought a membership today just for the sake of shopping :p

My sister and I spent $130 on all sorts of stuff. Surprisingly most of it was for me - but I'll never tell what for *mwa ha ha*

I bought 4 meters each of couture satin and organza (on buy 1 get 1 free) and it totally compensated for the membership cost.

And trims were dirt cheap!! It was so much fun!!

Now comes the actual sewing part. RAR!!!

dani
01-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Due to unforseen car trobules, I only managed to get to the store by 5:30, so in 1/2 hour I was only able to rack up a $35 bill before they kicked us out.

The 3 for ones were far, inbetween and not too interesting. But got some notions, interfacings, linings and lots of tims all at 50% off. It would have hurt to pay $70 for that little bag.

Now I need to get to work with that material...

Dani

lainey
01-17-2004, 08:20 PM
lol i bumped into heki there :D

i might have scared her...i was renovating my washroom, all horrible looking, and then decided to take a break by hitting fabricland!

i only spent $5...since i had a gift certificate from my cousin from christmas...so i bought stuff for two costumes

Kia
01-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Due to unforseen car trobules, I only managed to get to the store by 5:30, so in 1/2 hour I was only able to rack up a $35 bill before they kicked us out.

The 3 for ones were far, inbetween and not too interesting. But got some notions, interfacings, linings and lots of tims all at 50% off. It would have hurt to pay $70 for that little bag.

Now I need to get to work with that material...

Dani

Dude, we must have missed you by perhaps only a 1/2 hour! Sorry to hear you didn't get to cash in on as much of the sale as you had hoped. =(
Although I didn't manage to get everything I need for my up comming projects, I now have all the main fabric for *next years* major costume! ^_^
Not only that but I have a few other important pieces for some minor hall costumes for this year. ^_^ Yippie!!
But I'm bragging now.. so I'll shut up ^_^

neko rinchan
01-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Whahahaahhh! i spent just under $300 at fabricland today. i got a dressmaker form at half off, then a bunch of fur fabrics for around a 100. (the fur needed for my kouga and zelgabunny costumes). was also going to buy some christmas trim but i only remembered about it when i was almost at the cash, but after waiting 20 mins in line, i didn't feel like losing my spot to wait in another line to get it cut...

i was really suprised at the lineups (brought back memories of theme parks). it was so busy i had to come back later in the day to get my stuff, but get it i did!

lainey
01-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Whahahaahhh! i spent just under $300 at fabricland today. i got a dressmaker form at half off, then a bunch of fur fabrics for around a 100. (the fur needed for my kouga and zelgabunny costumes). was also going to buy some christmas trim but i only remembered about it when i was almost at the cash, but after waiting 20 mins in line, i didn't feel like losing my spot to wait in another line to get it cut...

i was really suprised at the lineups (brought back memories of theme parks). it was so busy i had to come back later in the day to get my stuff, but get it i did!
the line ups are usual...you have a membership correct? that means you can get at least $10 back ^_^

But that's SO much O_o $300?!

Chosuke
01-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I didn't get a letter either..
So i found out a little too late. -sigh-

Kia
01-17-2004, 10:38 PM
yeah... the newsletters came out pretty late.. but I've gotten used ot Fabricland flyers always being late. Let's just pretend it's part of their charm. ^_^

Don't worry Col (although I doubt you are ^_^) they usually have major members sales like that at least once every 1-2 months (wasn't the last one just back in December?) I still have a truck load of things I either need o really want for no good reason. ^_^

lainey
01-17-2004, 10:42 PM
the last sale was in november...there will probably definitely be on in like march or april...
but for some, may be cutting a little too close to AN eh?

heki-chan
01-17-2004, 11:36 PM
i spent $45ish today hehehe

I BOUGHT TWEEEELVE METERS OF MATERIALL!!!!

HELLZ YA!! XD

fashion-grade-leatherette! *dies happy*

and nono lainey u didnt scare me ^_^ i was surprised to see u standing there HEHE OMG UR SO TALL!!!!

Mage
01-17-2004, 11:59 PM

HELLZ YA!! XD

and nono lainey u didnt scare me ^_^ i was surprised to see u standing there HEHE OMG UR SO TALL!!!!

Winnie, how the hell did you find fashion-grade-leatherette at a FABRICLAND???? O_O I couldn't even find broadcloath in a colour other than brown, gray or light blue at the Fabricland here. T_T The only thing remotely approaching pleather/leatherette/vinyl/leather is upholstery stuff. x_X; Bleh.

I spent about $60...the majority being the outer cloak fabric for Satsuki. I just hope I bought enough of it. The tag said it was $4.95, but it was rung in at $14.95...bleh. Oh well...*sigh* I also bought a bunch of trim and a couple metres of satin because it looked so gorgeous and I know I'll use it up at some point.

Mekou
01-18-2004, 12:06 AM
<.< I went to fabricland a couple days ago. ^^ I bought all the fabric I need for Bakura and was going to get some for MOF but they didn't have any good fabric. -__- The Red twill suitting I bought wasn't on sale so it came to about #35. <_<; In toal I spent nearly $50. ^^

I gotta go back tomorrow to get fabric for my project in fashion class. *skips off*

lainey
01-18-2004, 11:44 AM

HELLZ YA!! XD

i'm not THAT much taller am I?
were you wearing sneakers? so was i...lol i don't think i've ever stood next to you when you weren't wearing some sort of heels :D
:D

shorty :D
i'm SO gonna be picking on you from now on :D

mikcy
01-18-2004, 01:33 PM
I didn't know it was yesterday. >:( Oops. I tried to go yesterday, anyway, but I had to go to a friend's party.

Bata
01-18-2004, 02:10 PM
WOOOYEAH!!!!! (skips around in field of fabrics) ^^ Go FABRIC LAND SALES!

Sarcasm-hime
01-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Kaijugal and Kia and I went to two different Fabriclands and they had a pretty good selection...broadcloth in every colour of the rainbow...got good fake suede for my Ragnarok mage...and some gorgeous shimmery green stuff for who knows what. Hehehe. We spent about $300 between the 3 of us...whee! I felt sorry for the ladies at the cutting table...all 3 of us had our arms full of fabric to cut *lol*

archangeli
01-20-2004, 09:47 AM
^ hehe... i know... we had 5 of those "fabric cuttings" sheets because we bought so much trim and leather cord! It was dirt cheap!!

On a side note, I spent about $60 on beads yesterday . . .
*pets wallet* it will all be alright.... no more spending!!

dani
01-23-2004, 12:47 AM
A new set of specials came up today. This just showed up at Fabricland site:

Fabricland's LAST CALL SALE on selected Fall & Winter Clearance is on now through February 8th. Up to 75% off original prices on selected Fall and Winter merchandise. January 21-February 8, 2004, while quantities last.

Patterns: now till Jan 25 Vogue $5.49, jan 26 to feb 8 Butterick $2.99, Feb 2 to feb 8 McCalls $2.49.

Enjoy....(I know I will)

Dani

lainey
01-23-2004, 08:24 AM
*whines* i forgot to buy elastic and white lace last time...i might have to pick some up today...

archangeli
01-23-2004, 11:34 AM
*whines* i forgot to buy elastic and white lace last time...i might have to pick some up today...

I went yesterday to buy canvas (*winks at Dani*) and the trims are still by 1 metre get 2 free.

You should be fine Lains :drink:

dani
01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
I went yesterday to buy canvas (*winks at Dani*) I'm ready to put that canvas to work, whenever you are.

the trims are still by 1 metre get 2 free. These guys are a mess with their specials. Employees must go crazy every time they change the sales.

Seeyou

Dani

dani
02-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Just got my Fabricland Newsletter in that mail today.

Next sale is feb 9 to 29. Notions at 40% off, everything else 40% to 60% off. The list is long, and it hasn't appeared at their site yet. If you want me to check something in particular just ask...

Dani

lainey
02-05-2004, 06:11 PM
fabricland always seems to have a sale going on all the time.

i'm fairly happy, i don't need to pick up anything...probably besides small things such as thread and buttons...which i can purchase from a dollar store or somewhere else :D

so for now, i'm happy :D

dani
02-06-2004, 03:36 PM
fabricland always seems to have a sale going on all the time. Yes, but it's always nicer to get stuff at 40% off than 25% off.
i'm fairly happy, i don't need to pick up anything...
Strange, I'm happy when I DO need to go shopping :)
probably besides small things such as thread and buttons...which i can purchase from a dollar store or somewhere else
Do you feed dolar store thread into your sewing machine??? Mine is a kind of "gourmet". Only takes top quality thread or it chokes.

Seeyou
Dani
(who just found out a friend's mom is manager at a Fabricland store)

Sarcasm-hime
02-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I prefer to use Gutermann as it doesn't fray horribly. Plus I hand-sew a fair bit and the cheap thread is really nasty to hand-sew with....ugh.

lainey
02-06-2004, 11:29 PM
40% off is not too much...they have larger sales.

i've been spending a lot of money on fabrics recently...so i'm happy to have it done for AN LOL my poor student pocket needs a break

well for thread, if i'm working with satin and stuff, of COURSE the pricey stuff. but if i'm working with like broadcloth...dollarstore it is. nicer fabrics get treated with nicer fabrics.
but things such as velcro and tools? i pick them up at the dollar store.

fabricland requries a special trip to go...and frankly i don't have the time to rush out every time i need something.

archangeli
02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Just went to my fav. store at Yonge & Bloor this morning. Picked up a few things and I'm VERY happy.

I now have (hopefully) everything I need and can settle in with my sewing machine over reading week and sew like a madwoman!
(*psssst Dani, the lining I picked up is delicious! Cost nearly as much as my satin!)

They have some new spring fabrics in that are absolutely beautiful. I was really tempted to pick up more stuff but I need to save my money (rar! student budget!) so I restrained myself.

Yuna-X2
02-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Teehee, I just have to say...

Dani, your icon makes me want to start singing songs from "Chorus Line"

"One... singular sensation, every little step she takes..." Wee

dani
02-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Teehee, I just have to say...

Dani, your icon makes me want to start singing songs from "Chorus Line"

"One... singular sensation, every little step she takes..." Wee
That's the whole idea... to get people in the mood...

Actually... culturally I'm a lot more connected to musical shows than to anime/manga/games. Right now I'm working on two anime costumes to get my feet wet, but maybe my future projects will steer on a different direction. Take the less travelled road seems to be my involuntary motto.

Dani
(itching to go razzle-dazzling 'em)

Infini
02-11-2004, 04:09 AM
I'm glad that there's another sale on. I was completely broke during the last one and wasn't able to pick up any fabrics that I wanted for future things. If I only need 1m or so for something then it isn't really a big deal, even if there isn't a sale on, but I'm going to need about 10m of nice-ish white fabric, and another 10m of lining for my two next costumes. Sales generally help when it's a large amount of fabric.

I'm making a bunch of InuYasha costumes for upcoming conventions and such, and decided on making Kagura's kimono and a Sesshomaru costume. I'm going to have to buy several meters of fake furry fabric for that silly tail-type thing as well, and it is way too expensive to buy non-sale.

As for thread, I have a bouclair that I usually shop at up here that has cheapo thread at 4 spools for $1. Since my sewing machine is the most unsophisticated lump of metal on the planet, I find it really doesn't make a difference between threads. _

I do seem to have a problem finding bobbins (if that's what you call them) for my machine. I've bought some 'standard' machine bobbins twice, and the first time I bought them they wouldn't fit on the part (sorry about lack of terminology) that winds the regular spool thread onto them. The second set I bought seemed to fit, but anything after that has been too small. They fit into the machine itself, but it's a little tedious to have to wind the thread on by hand.

I think I might try another fabricland when I take a trip to Toronto soon, just to see if there is more of a selection in parts and trim there.

Glad to hear about the sale though, since it saves what little money I have.

-Infini (this post is too long! sorry.)

xiola
02-11-2004, 06:12 AM
bobbins can be a pain... as far as i have seen in toronto, most of the stores just have two kinds. one generally says it fits "most" japanese machines and one for "most" domestic machines, or something. :/ i dunno if that's what they have at your bouclair? not much choice. i think fabricland would generally only have two types as well. but i suppose if you know what sort of machine you have, the labels on the packages could help...

also, if the one kind works for sewing but not winding, is there any way you can rig up some sort of silly cheating device for it? assuming you have the top-winding type of thing that most machines have, i'm just thinking like, attach a skinnier stick above the proper one that the bobbin is supposed to go on, tape the bobbin down so it doesn't spin, and then push the stick over into position with the bobbin just sitting higher than it's supposed to, and using your finger as an extra guide for the thread so that it doesn't start winding around below the bobbin...? if that works the only thing you'd have to watch for is making sure it doesn't wind too far and make sure to stop manually, because the only thing that little metal toggle bit beside the pole does is sense when the thread has wound far enough and stops it automatically.

i dunno if it'll work but it's a thought.

(yet another reason i love singers ;P - they have their own store so it's easy to get bobbins directly from them, so you never have to wonder if they'll fit. although since they have their own kind, no generic bobbins work in my machine - luckily i have a ton of bobbins anyway, because i seem to get a few extra as stocking stuffers every year :P)

archangeli
02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
my sewing machine is a little Kenmore - so if i need replacement parts i just head over to Sears! *whew*

Infini - if you come into TO to buy fabric, you should definitely check out MacFab down on Queen St. West. They have the most astonishing collection of fake furs I've ever seen!!