PDA

View Full Version : Good place to find materials?

LarryMHolder
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Hey all, I'm a photographer in New Brunswick, Canada and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place in location or online, to find materials, such as clock parts and antique hardware? I've been working on a steampunk series with a few people, I know a few fashion designs so costumes have not been an issue, I just really need more props to build machines and background elements.

Skeff
02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Best places that I've found so far are just thrift stores and hardware stores. Random finds are the best though, broken clocks and/or pipes and fittings.

I haven't bought anything from a specific website or anything, don't know if I ever will.

Mehdia
02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I've tripped up on things all over, but like Skeff said, thrift stores are one of the best places to find what you need. You won't spend a lot of money and can take things apart without feeling like you are ruining something expensive. Just wander around all types of stores, you never know when inspiration will hit.

Curucar
02-20-2012, 11:40 PM
If you've got 'em in your area, flea markets are goldmines. They're just above thrift store prices, but have a bazillion odd trinkets and stuff. Not so good for clothes, but wonderful for accessories.

LarryMHolder
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Good to know, that's basically what I've been using for supplies so far

CosplayJelly
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
ur car. lol jk.

Scorpion89
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
For clock works and parts have you contacted your local Clock repair I have a nice relationship with three folks here in Bmore and about every couple of months I stop by pick up stuff that they are going to throw out.

LarryMHolder
03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Clock repair, that's a good idea, I'll have to see if there's anyone local here that does that, thanks.

the.footpad
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
clock repair is good, thrift shops are good, and if your looking for types of metal tubing and sheet metal, a home appliance store is really good.