PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on how to do tattoos??

Haruka
06-04-2002, 11:52 AM
hello!....im a newbie.....^_^......anywhoots...i plan on making a shiki costume...and this character has a huge tattoo of a snake on her back and all down her leg. i really want to make that tattoo, but i dont wanna have to paint it on my body...cause its all messy and yucky:p ......
do any of you have any suggestions on how i can make a neat-o tattoo with out junking up my skin??

A A
=(^^)= meow
(v v)
o o

Ayaka
06-04-2002, 12:47 PM
If you were wearing a bodysuit, you could paint it onto that instead of your real skin. Otherwise, I think you're looking at body paint. I can't think of anything else.

Mei Lan Chang
06-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Yea, that is the only thing I can think of. Or instead of using paint you could use marker, then you would have a neat tatoo for a few days. However, that might not be convenient if you are at a con and want to wear <i>other</i> costumes. >_<

Medellia
06-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Well, if you do end up using body paint, make sure to get setting powder. It's a translucent powder that you brush over the body paint and that helps to set it, so it doesn't smear all over the place. The markers idea is a good one if you don't have to worry about other costumes

Haruka
06-04-2002, 06:22 PM
hmm yes..i like the idea about using a body suit of sorts...perhaps i could draw the tattoo on a pair of tights using a marker....hmmmm..*ponders*......eck its going to be quite a job!! :crylaugh: but you know...love for the cosplay!!

MyuMyu
06-05-2002, 10:39 PM
hm..well, i would suggest henna, ive used it for costume things before and it looks beautiful, but if your looking for something less......on forever, try a marker, or liquid eyeliner - ive used that for tatoo'd costumes before and it works fantastically ^_^

quixotic
06-06-2002, 01:54 AM
hmm... some ink, a needle... lots of time ;P

Lady Somairot
06-09-2002, 01:47 AM
there is a liquid liner made by... cover girl, i think *wanders upstairs to the bathroom...*

yep. it's different from the normal liquid liner (little brush, little container of painty-make-up) and it's more like a marker (like a very felt-tipped marker). i came across it by buying it by accident, actually... *blush* meant to get the normal old liquid liner... but i digress....

good luck with whatever you end up doing!! ^_~

Medellia
06-09-2002, 12:29 PM
If you do end up painting a pair of tights, learn from my mistakes. Have someone ELSE do it for you while you wearing the tights. It's just impossible otherwise. Plus, that way you know they'll look good! ^_^

Integral
06-14-2002, 01:13 AM
This one is much simpler.. but you actually have to go to a tattoo parlour with it, and talk to someone nice:

Bring a full-size drawing of what you need to a tattoo parlour. Ask them if they can make you a stencil with it. ( I don't remember what it's called) But it's a blue-ish purple temporary tattoo they make to put on your skin, and they basically use that to trace designs when you need to get the actual tattoo.. it's entirely up to that person's discretion.. but if they make you one, it'll stay on for the entire convention.. and if you want another color, you can just color it in, and not worry too much about it rubbing away, b/c the stencil will always be under it.

I've never done it personally, but there was someone who did a Zell costume (FF8) who said it worked wonderfully for her facial tattoos.

Scoti
06-18-2002, 02:09 PM
I've seen tattoo kits in most costume stores. It's like a marker that you just draw on. I think it would work better then liquid liner or Henna.. 1) liner will smudge on your legs while walking 2) most Henna turns brown after a while (unless that's what you want)

Medellia
06-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Oh, that reminds me. At, like, Bartell drugs they sell Henna ink pens in a nice array of colors. I don't remember the brand name but check around your local Bartells.

Kaitou
06-20-2002, 01:21 PM
Maybelline does a felt-tip liner...called...uh 'perfect' I think. In a blue can/ that stuff is very smudge and water resistant, and withs etting powder COULD work.

quixotic
06-20-2002, 03:49 PM
the idea of getting a stencil made at a tattoo parlour is a very good idea, as far as getting an outline done. i can attest to the fact that it'll stay on well ;)

you'll still have to figure out some way of coloring it in, or whatever, but i dunno... good idea, i think. the only problem is that yo'd have to bring in a full size tracing of what you want. i doubt they can do a stencil that'll fit on someone's back, but i'm not sure. so you might have to cut the drawing up into managable, notebook-sized rectangles.

but yeayh, that'll stay on for the whole con, probably. if you're careful not to wash it off. i don't remember how long it stays on, or how easily it comes off, other than i know it stays on pretty well. the outline for my last piece was done all in one session, and it was about two years ago, so it's a little hazy ;) good luck!

Kaitou
06-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Even if they CAN do the whole-back stencil, it'll cost ya a pretty penny. ^^;

rayechu
06-24-2002, 04:55 AM
Gellyrolls. I once drew a little butterfly on my foot and it took a few good scrubbings to get off. plus if you have someone else do it and wait for it to dry, it should work ok, and if you need touchup pens fit really easily into a purse. I dunno how well it would work, but it is a suggestion.

Quies
06-24-2002, 12:09 PM
actually gellrolls do work well, if you don't mind it lasting. and if you really don't mind it lasting use sharpie, and then take some hairspray to it to lighten it up/ get it of. some one i kknow drew a really awsome tatto on someone else with a sharpie.
but it really depends on how much your other costumes show.

rayechu
06-24-2002, 03:05 PM
I think a jellyrollwould last but if you needed it off you take a shower and if you scrub it should come off.

dark_arkis77
06-27-2002, 04:13 PM
Use the PERMIE!!!
I am going to bring my little big brother (he's three years younger than me but a great deal taller) to a con as Zell in a few years (he's only 12 and my mom won't let him go just yet) and I was wondering how I would do the tatoo. He's pretty cool most of the tiem so he said that he'd let me draw on his face with a permie (permanent marker/sharpie), but now after reading all this I have some new ideas (it all depends on how much money your willing to spend).
You see, if he was to go to the con right now, I would end up using the permie, but in a few years from now, only time can tell what I'll do /\_/\

~well, good luck:cheers:

Integral
06-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Quixotic- Are the the FF8 Zell cosplayer from A-kon? (You might just be the very person I spoke to about the tattoo parlour-stencil trick a few years ago... lol )

Sin Girl
06-29-2002, 11:40 AM
It was crazy! I was at walmart the other day and they had paper that you could print temp. tattoos on! YAAAY! It made me happy
Singirl

quixotic
07-02-2002, 08:35 AM
nope, Intergral... i really don't care much for FF8 :)

anyways, i didn't cosplay at Akon. hoping to next year, so we'll see.

Lady_Sephiroth
07-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Actually there is a little trick I learned somewhere along the line for getting permanent marker off your skin in a hurry -- get one of those SOS scrubber sponges you use on the dishes and use the rough side of that -- I used to go to my sister's sporting events all the time and they always used some horrible permanat marker or ink on your hand to show that you'd paid -- I'd come home and use the dish sponge and the marker came right off, with minimal redness. Also there are several varieties of industrial strength hand cleaner like mechanics use that might get a permanet marker off if you wanted to not have a Sharpie drawing on your back for 3 days :)

DancingVampire
07-14-2002, 05:52 PM
if u dont mind doing it on the comp some places like wal-mart k-mart and target sell paper which u can print the image on and then aplly it as a tatoo :)

Integral
07-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Speaking of removing the annoying:
Baby wipes work really well. I always bring a box of pampers/generic/whatever baby wipes with me to every convention. They're especially good at removing makeup.. and you can get it in the scent-less, aloe-less varieties if you have more sensitive skin.