PDA

View Full Version : Another weapon/prop question. Large props.

Infini
01-16-2004, 06:17 AM
I know there have been several threads about this, but since I'm a little confused about who to email from Anime North's site, I'll ask here anyway. I wasn't going to post a seperate thread since I'm afraid someone will just tell me to check previous threads, which I've just spent the last 2 hours doing...(on both this board and the link on AN's website).

I'm concerned about Anime North mostly because I'm making a Tessaiga for my Inuyasha costume. I have read the policy on AN's website, and I can't find a policy for TAC (though I will only have a small prop for that con, my friend may have Sango's hiraikotsu).

Tessaiga: It's going to be pretty big and I'll have to transport it on top of my car to get it to the con (Haven't really planned that part yet..O_o'). So... I'd like to make sure it's usable beforehand instead of hauling it all the way there only to have it confiscated. It'll be huge (as close to scale as possible), made out of foam board and covered with....something. Maybe bondo and fiberglass, maybe only primer and paint, but I'm not entirely sure yet. No metal or wood except the wooden handle. Hiraikotsu will probably only have primer and paint on top of the foam board.

Is there a way to contact AN security about this before the con? I've checked the website but there isn't anything other than the general weapon policy.

-Infini
Attached 2 pictures...might not work because I'm an idiot. They're not the greatest, but I spent a lot of time trying to find a really good reference picture and only came up with these.

Sarcasm-hime
01-16-2004, 01:19 PM
email security@animenorth.com. Not sure how long it'll take them to get back to you, though, as I emailed them about a prop and never got a response. -.-;;

Infini
01-21-2004, 01:45 AM
I emailed them, and got a response saying that they were going to check with the masquerade people about it. I'm not wearing it in the masquerade, so I hope they understood that it's a hall costume.

I'll post the response when/if I get one.

Bata
01-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Apperantly according to my "sources" if you do bring your sword the only way to make sure it does not get confinscated you should report it straight away to the security office and get it peace bonded as always. I have to get my sword peace bonded as well seeing how I'm going as inu-yasha too ^^ So i highly doubt they'd say no to you. Ack hope to see your kick ass sword there!

Infini
01-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Doesn't peace bonding mean tying it down in a way that it can't be drawn, though? I just thought it would be a little difficult to do that to such a large weapon. It wouldn't be such a pain if the thing would fit IN my car for transport. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how other Inuyashas made their swords and costumes as well! It's the best way to improve on a costume, I think.

Amy the Yu
02-09-2004, 04:17 AM
If it's just foam, then they would likely be okay with it...but if it's THAT big...they might think you could hurt someone by turning around without watching who was behind you.

Last time someone had a large foam weapon, security took a look at it...one guy said "should we confiscate it? it's just foam" and the other looked at it funny and said "It's foam...I can smack you as hard as I can on the head with it all day and night and you'd still be fine" before they handed it back to the cosplayer and went on their merry way.

I think the main concern they'd have is the sheer size of it...

Koumori
02-09-2004, 07:26 AM
E-mail the masquerade coordinator as well. That's what I did, and she asked me a few questions about what I was planning to do with it, okayed it for the masquerade, and gave me instructions as to what to do with it, when, at the con. I assume you want this for the masq and not to carry around in the halls... having large props in the halls is a really good way to get them broken.

Infini
02-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I wasn't going to bring it for the masquerade, since I'm not entering the costume. I was only going to bring it for some pictures, then put it in my hotel room and carry around the much smaller (not transformed) version of the sword for the rest of the con.

The reply I got from AN stated that my e-mail had been sent along to the masquerade coordinator, but I haven't received any response yet.

-Infini

Kisa
02-09-2004, 09:11 PM
They made our Shaman king Horohoro put her snowboard in her room last year, because it was a potential hazard, and it was...snowboard sized... so the sword may or may not go over well.
I'd say save it for CNA where they have no weapon security.

Koumori
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
If you don't want to enter it in the masquerade, and if you only want to have it for photos, I'd seriously recommend just taking photos at home, or somewhere else other than the con. There's just too much potential for breaking your prop and blocking the halls.

Chosuke
02-10-2004, 07:59 AM
I remember them almost taking Scoti's staff for Kilik last year because she turned and a securuity person who was RIGHT on her tail nearly got swiped.

But they never said anything before that, and only gave her a warning to keep it low.

Infini
02-10-2004, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't be carrying it through the halls, remembering how many people were around last time. I know it is in a different location, but I wouldn't carry such a large thing around with me. I assume there's going to be an area for photos, so I might try to find a way to fit the sword into my tiny car and just not use it if it looks like it will be a problem.

I was mostly worried about transporting it all the way there to find out I couldn't use it. If I can manage to put it inside the car for the trip as opposed to tying it to the top of the vehicle then it won't be such a problem to not use it.

I'll just take it to security the day of the con. Besides, there's no other way for me to get pictures of the costume where I live.

-Infini