PDA

View Full Version : Dating thinger!

Gingerbread Man
11-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I know how there like six of these threads going around that are all talking about the same thing, so I'll narrow mine down alittle. I'm thinking that it would be fun to go up during cosplay and either do that auction for real, or just for fun and have our friends in the audience shout things out...would anyone else be interested in this? with three months to katsucon I think we could get something going here. but that's just me.....

ryuichi fangirl
11-05-2002, 09:25 PM
if i do get to go (still working things out), i'd love to help out...I'll be a buyer or whatever you guys need^_~

psythe
11-05-2002, 09:28 PM
One Chloe impersonator....free! :devil:

ryuichi fangirl
11-05-2002, 09:30 PM
ohh, yer evil...

psythe
11-05-2002, 09:33 PM
muahahaha!

Sami
11-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Haha, I'll be there Friday and Saturday, and I'll gladly host for you if you'd have me! ^_^ (I'm taken so I can't exactly be auctioned off, but I want to help! This is a cool idea! ^_^)

Ayaka
11-05-2002, 10:27 PM
I'll be there, and of course help out. (Yeah I tried to get everyone talking in one thread, but I think it backfired . . .) But, err, don't we have to talk to the staff first?

Gingerbread Man
11-05-2002, 10:34 PM
well, if we did it as a cosplay skit just for the enjoyment of the audience I don't think the staff would have a problem. It's all just for entertainment and no acctual money changes hands. Also, this would allow anyone who is acctually taken to get up there and have fun at this "mock" auction, it would also keep people from getting embarassed from no bids, because it was planned out in the first place....but that's just my two cents...anyone else have a suggestion?

Studmaster
11-05-2002, 10:40 PM
I would love to host this myself, but I think someone needs to E-Mail the Staff with a full plan they could use since this is November.

If enough people convince me...I may just put myself up for Auction....

Gingerbread Man
11-05-2002, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure how all the cosplay stuff works myself, I'm kinda new to all this con stuff, any veterans....please help me out.

Ayaka
11-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Oh, okay, yeah if you did it as part of the masquerade - within the time limit for a cosplay skit - that'd be fine. Well it would be wise to check with the masq staff first, just in case they have any problem with that kind of skit but I doubt they would.

BUT, if you wanted it to be an event unto itself, or I don't know, to kill time between other events, that you would have to suggest to the staff.

kelldar
11-06-2002, 10:29 AM
hehe I don't think I want to be auctioned but it would be really fun to watch!

Celine
11-06-2002, 11:30 AM
An auction of cosplayers... sound entertaining.^_^

So, you know how the judges always go and make decisions and the audience sits there being sad and bored for some amount of time? Why not do it then, right after the cosplay before the results are announced?

Sami
11-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Gooo Studmaster! Auction yourself off! Show the ladies what they can win! :D :D

Haha, I was actually thinking about this last night, and I thought "We should email the staff" and yeah.. we're all on the same track. ^^ It'd be cool if we could make a panel out of it, but I don't think we have the time for that. @_@ A cosplay would work!

A J
11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
More advice on auctions! I totally forgot to include this one... you have to basically stage the first couple (rig them) to get the audience going. Once they get into the swing of things, it'll be fine but everyone needs a bit of a poke to get going. :)

Gingerbread Man
11-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Alright, do to the good responce I'm going to start putting serious effort into making this work....but we need more people to auction off...comon! it'll be an adventure!

Sami
11-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Haha, it will be fun!! :D Maybe we should offer incentive...

*sets up a table with Pocky, cookies, and free plushies to anyone that applies* ^______^

Kellie
11-06-2002, 03:59 PM
*cackle* This sounds awesome! ;__; *applies to get free stuff!* :B Count me in! *hands Sami her microphone*

Celine
11-06-2002, 04:04 PM
I want to help out at Sami's table... *cookies* ^_^

Sami
11-06-2002, 04:12 PM
LOL, I owe Celine double cookies for helping out with the Suikoden cosplay site! (Which is coming along very nicely, BTW!)

Now I'm in the mood for baking cookies... <3 <3

Ayaka
11-06-2002, 05:13 PM
If it's not an actual ENTRY in the cosplay, I'll be auctioned, or be a plant in the audience. *makes like a plant lol* I'm already in the masq, that's why. ^^

I was also going to suggest that it be in that "judging gap of doom" because that's when the cosplayers need some stress relief and the audience needs something to do, but I thought it might be like ACen, where they run the winners of the music video contest then. Haven't been to Katsucon, so I don't know what they do. They don't just make everyone sit there, do they? That would be dreadful. Of course if that's the case, all the more reason for us to petition to do it then. ^^

Gingerbread Man
11-06-2002, 06:23 PM
I'll email the staff and run it by them, cause I don't think that rushing the stage after the cosplays will work.....and I don't want to get kicked outta the con....will work on this when I get time....and about free stuff. good idea, but where we going to get it? ahhh! headache!

Studmaster
11-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Here is the Katsucon Letter, Guys

Dear Vice Chairman of Guests & Programming, Mr. Richard Kim:

First let me say thank you for hosting the convention that will kick off my, and a lot of other people’s convention season for the year 2003. This will be my first time attending, and I can’t wait to go, as I have heard a lot of good things about your Convention from 2002. However, the real purpose of my letter is to suggest something that really hasn’t been done a lot at Anime Cons. As you may or may not know, Anime Fans are looking for people that share their same interests, and understand how they feel about something that they love, and in the naked eye, it seems like they can never find the right person. However, in my experience Anime Conventions are one of the better places where people can meet and start friendships that may blossom into something beautiful, but many times people are shy and afraid to open up to others they may not know. Of course, there are dances and the recent Final Fantasy Ball at AWA. However, there are very few Auctions at these conventions. While there is somewhat of a negative stigma (maybe deserved) about the auctioning off of people, there can be many positives that can come from them.

A few are

- People who really want to meet someone and are brave enough will take the chance of being upstage.

- A lot of fun can be had at these auctions, especially if the crowd is good-natured and everyone involved is a good sport.

- The chance to make money for a good cause and to spread the name of the Convention in a positive light.

- A potentially popular event that could become the staple of a Convention’s nightlife.

- The possible instant networking that could become something great, and all because two people took a chance.

There are other positives to this as well. However, for the Auction itself, others and myself at the website http://www.cosplay.com are in the stages of organizing the Auction and what it entails. At this time we have…

-The Option of men and women entering the Auction
-Bids starting off at $ 10, and going up as time goes on.
-The winners agreeing to sign a pact that says that no-one will be forced to do something that they will not want to do (in other words, Sex must be Consented upon)

- We are also thinking about giving the winners a complementary Dinner or Breakfast for 2 at a Restaurant in the area among other things.

- 3 hopeful MC’s for the event

What we are asking from your fine convention is these things.

1) The Space to have the Auction (Friday Night at 10 would be an optimal time)

2) Your full support and Sponsorship of the Event, which will hopefully cost you nothing or minimal to help cover the costs of the Breakfasts or Dinners.

3) Your help in finding a fine Charity to contribute to (or maybe even to the Convention itself if you accept our proposal and we decide on that together)

Hopefully, what you will get in return is an event that will be done year after year. A better name from the money that will be contributed to charity most likely, and maybe the satisfaction of putting two Anime fans together. If you need any more information, you can contact me at studmaster45@yahoo.com or you can go http://forums.cosplay.com/where there is an unofficial Katsucon forum. I hope to hear from you near in the future, and to working with you should this be able to happen. With your help, I can guarantee this to be a success.

Sincerely
Linwood “Studmaster” Knight

Sami
11-06-2002, 07:47 PM
That's a very well written letter! Kudos to you, and lets hope we can make some headway with this idea! ^_^

Gingerbread Man
11-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Dang.....I wish I had your skill with the keyboard Studmaster, I'm very impressed. hopefully they will approve and we can keep this idea alive.

ChenCzen
11-06-2002, 09:20 PM
is there a dance at that con? perhaps people not willing to auction off thier entire day as someones servant would be willing to auction a dance or two from thier 'dance card'.

Sami
11-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man
Dang.....I wish I had your skill with the keyboard Studmaster, I'm very impressed. hopefully they will approve and we can keep this idea alive.

Haha yeah seriously, mine would have come out something like "WE WANT DO AUCTION. BIG FUN!". x_X;

Maybe it would be easiest if the couple decided exactly what they wanted to do together; i.e. a day wandering around the con, or just a dinner or lunch-type thing. I know a lot of people may already have olbigations such as photo shoots or meetings with other people for whatever reason, and it'd be cool if everything fit their schedule easily. :)

ChenCzen
11-06-2002, 09:32 PM
something thatll fit into everyones schedule eh? you know lap-dances only take a few minutes...

Sami
11-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Haha, I think that fits in with the "no nasties unless both parties want them" waiver. ^_-

(Wow, and I just made THREE typos in that sentence. I need help. x_x)

Gingerbread Man
11-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Haha yeah seriously, mine would have come out something like "WE WANT DO AUCTION. BIG FUN!". x_X

how did you know? that was the opening to my letter also....and yeah, these are all great ideas and we have three months to refine them, when we get katsucon's blessing we'll be ready!

Studmaster
11-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Could you do us a favor and make this is a Sticky?

Celine
11-06-2002, 10:09 PM
*waves magical wand*

Wow, that's so cool! Look what I did with my powerful administrative abilities... ^_^;;;

Studmaster, the letter looks good! Let us know when you get a response (or maybe they will even check here). Sami, I like your letter too. XD BIG FUN! WHEE!

Daitenshi
11-06-2002, 11:02 PM
*lol* I sent Colette (the woman in charge of the charity auction) a similar email two days ago ^_^ It would be great if we could get this thing going! I want to be auctioned off! whooooo~!

Sami
11-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Haha, I hope someone can videotape this or something! And maybe we could do a follow-up on our lovely couples a month or so down the road.. ^_^

When in doubt, USE CAPITAL LETTERS! ME LIKEY FUN! :D

RyuHayabusaDOA2
11-06-2002, 11:15 PM
(asking a dumb question* is thing going to be held at Katsucon, correct?

Studmaster
11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by RyuHayabusaDOA2
(asking a dumb question* is thing going to be held at Katsucon, correct?

Yup. ;) And hopefully we can hold another on the East Coast at either Otakon or Anime Boston.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
11-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Studmaster:Thanks dude.
*whsipers under breath* damn it, I can't make it...hopefully by Otakon

Celine
11-07-2002, 04:51 AM
Ooh ooh ooh!! I had an idea! What if we get someone like a Squall or Tidus cosplayer and auction them for the 'rigged' auction. Then, we could have a whole gaggle of Rinoas or Yunas (as appropriate) bidding to win their man! XD This is funny, I think. I also need sleep. Just, character-specific auctions could be awfully entertaining with a participatory audience.

Admin
11-07-2002, 05:45 AM
There are other positives to this as well. However, for the Auction itself, others and myself at the website http://www.cosplay.com are in the stages of organizing the Auction and what it entails. At this time we have…

The whole thing sounds like a lot of fun. I have to ask though, please clarify the organizers in a letter like this so that it's worded as "some of the members of http://www.cosplay.com" instead of "at the website http://www.cosplay.com" as it would halt any confusion as to whether or not cosplay.com is officially involved in it and limiting my liability. It's close enough but I can see where a few people might mistake the wording as a cosplay.com-organized event.

I had a problem arise at AXNY when there was a "cosplay.com photo gathering" that I didn't have a single thing to do with, but I read about it so I showed up to take some photos. It wound up causing a supposed fire hazard with the number of people jamming into the hallways. Security was called to disperse the crowd (didn't work too well :) ), and one of them asked who the cosplay.com person was and somebody pointed at me, and I was the one having to deal with the hotel. I wasn't a happy camper seeing as I wasn't on the organization end of things.

Anyway, always keep in mind that in the future if you DO want official cosplay.com backing on an event we can always talk. Otherwise I have to make 100% sure that there is no confusion in the way things are worded, from a liability standpoint. Last thing I need is for someone to trip over a badly-placed chair and break their leg at a "cosplay.com gathering" and their parents sue my company, when I wasn't involved to begin with.

Gingerbread Man
11-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Sorry Admin...We'll clairfy that with katsucon at first opprotunity...

Studmaster
11-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Understood Admin, I was only thinking of this as a contact place since it was orgainized here, and I'll make sure that your name is not invovled in this at first oppotunity. My Apolgies.

Admin
11-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Oh really it's ok, no need for apologies, just wanted to clarify it is all. :)

I have absolutely no problem with people using the cosplay.com forums to organize events and the like, just as long as there isn't any confusion as to whether or not the event is an "official" cosplay.com event. In fact if you ever have the need for a separate forum for something like this, we can set it up for you. We can also put it in the "news" on the front of the website for more exposure (a feature that's ready to go but we haven't had the time to announce yet).

Studmaster
11-11-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
*lol* I sent Colette (the woman in charge of the charity auction) a similar email two days ago ^_^ It would be great if we could get this thing going! I want to be auctioned off! whooooo~!

I'd buy you in a heartbeat. :D

diqitaldreams
11-11-2002, 03:43 PM
^_^ Yay! I wanna help! I wanna help!

psythe
11-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Celine
Ooh ooh ooh!! I had an idea! What if we get someone like a Squall or Tidus cosplayer and auction them for the 'rigged' auction. Then, we could have a whole gaggle of Rinoas or Yunas (as appropriate) bidding to win their man! XD This is funny, I think. I also need sleep. Just, character-specific auctions could be awfully entertaining with a participatory audience.

The mental image of this mass cat-fight of Rinoa's and Yuna's trying to outbid each other

....rofl....

eBay Xtreme!!

The Moe
11-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Moou! I would love to Auction myself off but unfortunatly that will not be possible for I am already taken.....But I would love to help out in some way!! I wanna help SAMI! ^__^

Sami
11-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Step right up, getcher microphones here! ^___^ Haha you can help me bake cookies to entice people to join and let themselves be auctioned! ^______^

"Oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip, sir? *smile*smile*"

Studmaster
11-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Sami
Step right up, getcher microphones here! ^___^ Haha you can help me bake cookies to entice people to join and let themselves be auctioned! ^______^

"Oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip, sir? *smile*smile*"

Chocolate Chip, Sami. The best Cookie there is. :D

I wonder when Katsucon will get back to us?

Sami
11-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Yes sir! Right away, sir!

*fires up Ye Olde EZ-Bake*

Yeah, hopefully soon.. I imagine they'd have to discuss it with some important people or whatnot. How long ago did you send the letter? I forget easily..

Haha, if this thing really does come about, I'm bringing cookies for all of you guys. ^___^

Studmaster
11-13-2002, 04:55 PM
I gave the letter to the Vice Chairman of Programming on last Wedensday, and I wrote it again to the Auction head last Friday. So it's been a week effectively, and I guess you're right about them having to discuss it.

Gingerbread Man
11-13-2002, 09:39 PM
yeah, I was wondering if anyone had heard back from them today...but I guess not...and I wanna a cookie!

chibi-dj
11-15-2002, 11:39 AM
I wanna be auctioned off! ....i can wear a catgirl outfit too! ;P uh.....i'd have to ask rich though (u know what im talking about gingerbread man!) if you think about doing the same thing for Otakon, im on staff so i could talk to ppl direcly if needed. Just a thought, but i'll help in any way i can (i almost got actioned off at Nekocon in the game show anyway):thumbsup:

Celine
11-15-2002, 11:41 AM
People, please have some patience! Being on staff for a convention myself, I can tell you that not all staff members are prompt about replying to things (in fact, I am slow as anything ^^;;; ). I'd give them at least several weeks before trying again.

Sami
11-15-2002, 11:57 AM
*sings that old Guns n' Roses song, swaying back and forth* All we need is just a little paa~tiee~nce... ^_____^

Studmaster
11-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Celine
People, please have some patience! Being on staff for a convention myself, I can tell you that not all staff members are prompt about replying to things (in fact, I am slow as anything ^^;;; ). I'd give them at least several weeks before trying again.

Don't worry, I have no intention of flooding a mailbox. It's November and there is probably a lot more stuff that needs to be done before they can answer.

I shall remain calm and patient about it.

Gingerbread Man
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
i'd have to ask rich though (u know what im talking about gingerbread man!)
*sigh* I still have to clear it with suzanne, I brought it up and she's not to hot on the idea....but oh well...time for me to step up and be a man....:thumbsup:
And yes, patience is a virtue that I am not lacking of...well, not really...but anyways, yeah, if we repeatedly send e-mails then we might piss off some of the wrong people and that would be bad...but during the mean time....we must plan!

Nyanko-chan
12-07-2002, 04:00 AM
*pokes her 2 cents in* I dunno if its been mentioned before but we did the same kind of auction at Ohayocon last year, tho it was for charity, I just popped in on this conversation and dunno where you guys are sending your money *L* Anyway, er, I cant say for sure if its being done again at Ohayo this year ( as I have no cash to -go- this year and that kinda negates me being staff *L*) But if its not a go at Katsu, you all can try to be auctioned there if its going on. Might say on the web site, I have no idea. Wow, how unhelpful I am >_<

RealizeDOP
12-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Hey Christy face : P heehee ^^ I mentioned the Ohayocon auction in another auction post. Kat told me they are having another one : P But I think the auctioning is only for staff members right? at Ohayocon that is

Eurobeat King
12-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Kat told me it's only going to be staffers that will be auctioned off for tthe Ohayocon auction FR night. Kat unfortunately, won't be particpating, so I won't be able to bid on her.. ah, well.. :thumbsup:

Merle-kun
12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
I'm up for being auctioned off! Just let me know the who what when where why and how =3

Ranma Saotome
12-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Well seeing this... Count me in! :)

Mako-san
12-24-2002, 11:46 PM
Oh wow! I would love to help in anyway I can!!!
And just wondering how are things in this thread! Still haven't heard from anyone yet?

Studmaster
12-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Nope. Nada.

Sciguy
01-01-2003, 10:23 PM
would an extra Miroku be of use? It'd be fun to be autioned off, especially to some hot girl, for a few hours. I'm also skilled at staff fighting so I can also be auctioned off as a bodyguard to aforementioned hotgirls.

Sciguy
01-05-2003, 03:46 PM
has anyone made any progress on making this happen with the Katsu staff? Any progress at all?

Gomen for the double post.

Tora
01-10-2003, 08:22 AM
What now? *blinks* Ok I'm slow, and i didn't see any more details than being auctioned off at Katsu...

Can someone explain the specifics? ~_~ I'm sorry!

Gingerbread Man
01-10-2003, 02:06 PM
As of yet there's nothing happening, katsucon staff haven't give us a reply so, I think this has fallen through, but there's still some hope.

Sciguy
01-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Then let's E-mail Otakon about it! I'm sure that most of the Katsu peeps are going to Otakon, since they're so close together.

Tora: just read our massive backlog on this thread and see if that helps. If not, PM me and I'll send you a more detailed explanation.

Ranma Saotome
01-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by chibi-dj
I wanna be auctioned off! ....i can wear a catgirl outfit too! ;P

*pulls out a wad of cash* Best money I ever spent! :D

evilchii
01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
yay for pay day!! i'll be there ready to spend my hard earned money on guys! hope they can dance or something for me.

Kenshin Ken
01-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Hmm..^^; cosplayer auction ne? ^ * hasn't read all of the thread...goemn* ^^;;

I might be up for this ^^v I'mma commin to Katsu! * hugs* thanks to Celine ^^v

Ranma Saotome
01-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Kick ass Ken! I got a place for you to stay man. E-mail me!

lilsugarchan
01-28-2003, 12:39 PM
this sounds interesting enough. can i join to be auctioned off. besides i get to meet new people ^_~

Mibuzen
02-07-2003, 04:30 PM
I'd be willing to get auctioned off. It might be fun. Tasuki and Mikagami are definitely ladies men.

Giant Alucard
02-10-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm up for being auctioned. I think anygirl would love to own their own giant anime character.

Merle-kun
02-13-2003, 12:35 AM
With Katsu a few days away, I'd guess no reply has came in.. that the idea is a no go? =( I was looking foward to being auctioned...

I was at AKon last year, and we did a little auction at our party.. this is always an option =3 There's nothing wrong that I can see with it... as long as it's nothing a minor couldn't see.. if so, carding.. etc.. just going through all the hoops and both con and party go-er should be happy =3

cyankirby
02-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Hey, if you're doing this at Otakon, I'd love to take part in it. Sounds like fun! :)

Merle-kun
02-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Same here! I'm heading to Otakon as well! =3

Gingerbread Man
02-13-2003, 01:25 AM
no minors?......ah crap...but yeah, katsucon's a bust for this, good luck with otakon if anyone wants to try it.

Merle-kun
02-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Well.. you could let minors in provided that you:

1) Serve no liquor
2) Don't take the 'slave' thing too 'seriously' ^^;
3) Anything else age restricted I didn't mention ^^;;;

Giant Alucard
02-13-2003, 08:17 AM
thats true, if minors cant do this; just get those who arn't minors to take their place. I know alot of ppl going to the con who arn't minors and can can be talked into letting themselves be auctioned off to some lucky lady out there. And you could set up those rules for the minors as well. I want this to go through big time since I'll be getting auctioned off in the process, and because my friends will want to get this all on tape....... which could be a good or bad thing depending on the situation. The katsu staff may be doubting this auction now, but just try and talk to them at the con in person, and you may be able to change their minds. If anything, you could just make this into a cosplay skit , with the different characters from each series in it, and just put people in the audience to make fake bids. That will go over great with any crowd, and they may also get into it. We can call it the After V-day Auction, or somthing around that area (not good ith names somtimes). Anyway G-man, you should not give up on such a good idea like this, i believe there is still a chance to make it work. Just talk to the chair people at the con and the may see that it is a good idea as well. I you need an Impossing shadowy figure to go with you (Or maybe someone to just help you out), you can let me know.

chibi-dj
02-13-2003, 02:08 PM
hey matt ^_~ im on Otakon staff, I could talk to the President and see what they think. I think it would be an awsome idea. I would definetally be auctioned off! ......but i dunno if i could concidering im on staff.....shucks...there goes my fun.....maybe i could help host?
^_^

neoangelwink
02-13-2003, 09:15 PM
i will see all tommw look for girl in green fairy costime^_^.

Sciguy
02-13-2003, 10:02 PM
that would be better to do it at Otakon. More people to bid and it's in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard, so perhaps more people who are willing to be auctioned could attend as well. Perhaps someone should throw a copy of this thread into the Otakon forum and see how it's taken?