PDA

View Full Version : ????????

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-06-2002, 12:03 AM
How many of you think lookign like the character is important? I really think it's how good the costume looks, but many wanna look like the character.........I'm black so looking like the character is kinda out! :) ANYWAY! Would any of you bash me becasue i do not "look" like my character even thoguh my costume is great!?! Would any of you bash me becasue i'm black and trying to cosplay....lets say.....Belldandy or Faye Valentine......or Yuna?

shiroi_yukiko
11-06-2002, 12:06 AM
No offense, but you'd be a little restricted if you had to stick with just black characters and that really wouldn't be fun! I say, cosplay whoever you want to! Having a great costume is the important part.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-06-2002, 12:08 AM
i know i'd be restricted! esp. female black characters....I haven't seen any....

Celine
11-06-2002, 12:21 AM
I believe the general consensus is that no one has a big problem with cosplaying a character you do not look like. If you can find a character you look like, that's great, but, as many people have said before, you should really cosplay a character you love whose costume you want to wear. Cosplay is about fun, and as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's what matters. ^_^

lainchan
11-06-2002, 12:26 AM
I agree. If it's a character you like, then go as the character. Or you like the costume idea, whatever. Besides people crossplay and they don't get outcasted. Utena has a black girl in it...that's all i can think of as of now...

Mei Lan Chang
11-06-2002, 01:02 AM
My dear girl, why would you even question it? Of course you should cosplay as the characters you love! It's not about being a character based only apon whether you look like them, its about paying the greatest respect to a character you like by wanting to be them. In all honesty, you won't look exactly like them...but is that relevant as long as you feel like them? Anyone who critisizes your costume based on your physical being is a snob.

Mink
11-06-2002, 03:33 AM
Yeah Anthy is black, but that is so not the point. What about crosplayers? I mean, they really dont look like their characters! There kinda missing stuff! But that doesnt stop them. Its all about acting like your fave character and getting pics taken of you because of your hard work on your costume!

Karisu-sama
11-06-2002, 05:27 AM
You know, this was actually covered AD NAUSEUM in a thread entitled "looking like your character". (Go look for it. it's on this board somewhere.)

My opinion in a nutshell, for what it's worth: If you love the character, DO IT!!!! Attitude is at LEAST half the costume, and do NOT let piddly little things like height, weight, skin color, gender, etc. stop you from doing it.

Anyone who bashes you for it is an unworthy baka.

So there. :)

catklysm
11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
It doesn't matter what your appearance is... so long as you adore the character! That's all that really counts. If your costume is good, then no one really notices if you are a different shape, height, skin colour or gender than your character!

Anyone who thinks that those things matter enough to not do a costume you like deserves to be hit on the head with a giant mallet (and not a foam one ~_^)

Hikaru
11-06-2002, 03:02 PM
There are a lot of black females in video - games, but that's beside the point. Cosplay who ever you want to! Your costume is all that counts. Go out and make the best costumes you can! People don't judge you on your looks when cosplaying but more importantly on you costume.

Ranma Saotome
11-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by !*Jessi-Chan*!
How many of you think lookign like the character is important? I really think it's how good the costume looks, but many wanna look like the character.........I'm black so looking like the character is kinda out! :) ANYWAY! Would any of you bash me becasue i do not "look" like my character even thoguh my costume is great!?! Would any of you bash me becasue i'm black and trying to cosplay....lets say.....Belldandy or Faye Valentine......or Yuna?

We already had this discussion and believe you me, it got nasty real quick.

Oh yeah, this is me as Ranma...
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=8678&papass=&sort=1&thecat=564

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=9161&papass=&sort=1&thecat=564 (one of my personal favorites)

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=5731&papass=&sort=1&thecat=555

Believe you me, if skin color was a factor, my cosplayuing would be severely limited!!! :D

scandia
11-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Anthy and Ack-io are from India. So they would be of the Indic sub-race, not negroid. They have slightly wavy hair and noses with high bridges that are not wide. Nadia is Ethiopian, though, so that may be a closer choice.

But who cares? I have jet-black hair but have cosplayed blonde characters and don't wear wigs nor dye it (not that it would take dye). I can barely wear regular contacts, so I don't bother with colored ones. And I will not duct tape my chest to try to appear flat for my Tomoyo character.

I don't crossplay, though. Large bust is just one of the reasons why. Mainly I don't feel comfortable.

aeva
11-06-2002, 06:02 PM
If people were that intent on looking EXACTLY like our characters, not only would our eyes take up way too much of our face, but crossplay would be out of the question. And DUDE. We need crossplayers out there! >^-^<

Michi
11-06-2002, 10:46 PM
I like your point, aeva. ^^ The whole argument about looking like anime characters can be shot down quickly with the fact that our eyes are usually just not large enough. Not to mention those doing female characters, usually to be accurate your waist size has to be half what it currently is (I don't care what size you are with that one! I'm fairly small and I still don't fit half the measurements anime characters are given!).... etc.

I cosplay characters I like. Men, women, whatever. I've been laughed at for my ideas, which is just stupid. Cosplay is dressing up, it's fun -- I don't even compete half the time because it just gets to be too much.

Whee! I never touched the other threads like this, so I thought I would for once. Wahoo.

KaitouKurogo
11-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Feh...forget about whether or not you physically match the character and just have fun. Cosplaying is really all about enjoying yourself and whoever gives you a hard time about looks isn't worth listening to. Besides, I'm more worried about making my costume look right than if I actually look like my character...

**Thinks** Hmm....come to think of it, almost all anime and manga characters are Japanese...kinda sucks for us gaijin to have to look like the character if you think about it.

Tea-chan
11-11-2002, 12:01 PM
I think if you put effort into your costume, and you acted like the character, you'd be a great cosplayer despite the fact that you might not be a dead-on-clone of your character. :) I think if you have the motivation, you will be great!

Ranma Saotome
11-11-2002, 12:08 PM
*points up* Yeah, what she said. ^^

Lovelyangel_81
11-11-2002, 12:58 PM
I am black. Hey I cosplay Klaha from Malice Mizer at Animazment this year and most everybody there knew who I was.

http://www.fansview.com/2002/may2002/img4792.jpg

At along that you are having fun doing what you like/love. Then it shouldn't matter what character you cosplay. ^__^

Ranma Saotome
11-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Lovelyangel_81
I am black. Hey I cosplay Klaha from Malice Mizer at Animazment this year and most everybody there knew who I was.

http://www.fansview.com/2002/may2002/img4792.jpg

At along that you are having fun doing what you like/love. Then it shouldn't matter what character you cosplay. ^__^

*headscratch* At least I know who you were. :)

Well now maybe we should form BCA- Black Cosplay Alliance! *ROTFLMAO*

Just kidding on that one folks. :)

avagoyle
11-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Mink
Yeah Anthy is black, but that is so not the point. What about crosplayers? I mean, they really dont look like their characters! There kinda missing stuff! But that doesnt stop them. Its all about acting like your fave character and getting pics taken of you because of your hard work on your costume!

actually, i've seen serveral crossplayers that looked much better than the ones who aren't :P

Ranma Saotome
11-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by avagoyle
actually, i've seen serveral crossplayers that looked much better than the ones who aren't :P

I second that. :)

SohjiroX
11-15-2002, 05:51 PM
I try to go all out when it comes to a costume. I mean, people walk by me and ask if I am from this anime and its no where near it. So I really want to make a perfect outfit when it comes right down to it. I think its also alot more funner that way.

Something Lulu
11-15-2002, 07:29 PM
When I first started cosplaying I tried to think of characters I looked like, particularly because I wasn't too keen on wearing wigs. But they're actually kinda fun! So now I just pick who I like and devote time to creating a costume that will make me look like the character regardless of what I physically look like. If your costume is good, you will look like the character. It's as simple as that.

Karisu-sama
11-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Tea-chan
I think if you put effort into your costume, and you acted like the character, you'd be a great cosplayer despite the fact that you might not be a dead-on-clone of your character. :) I think if you have the motivation, you will be great!
ABSOLUT-ABLE-Y!!!! getting "in character" counts for SOOOO much! :)

Shi
11-16-2002, 03:39 AM
Don't let your skin color stop you. I was with a black Sora from Kingdom Hearts at Nekocon and no one seemed to mind. And if it gives you inspiration, I have a black friend who wants to be Majin Buu, who is pink. I don't know anyone who is pink. It's the same fundamental a crossplayer would follow. I won't let the fact I'm female stop me from being a male character. Just have fun, that's all that really matters. Because a costume is not worth the pain and time that goes into both making, and sometimes wearing it, if you don't love who you are to begin with.

All the luck to you and your costume.

Carmila
11-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Personally, don't let skin color, race, creed, or sex get in the way of your cosplay dreams. The more I get into Cosplay and the more fun I have with it, I am beginning to feel it just doesn't matter! If you want to do something and do it well, then I don't think anyone is going to care who you are, just how good your costume is! :)