PDA

View Full Version : Prop Weapon Advice -- "Arc Edge"

KaitouKurogo
11-06-2002, 01:19 AM
I plan on cosplaying as the character Rue from Dewprism (aka Treads Of Fate) for AnimeExpo2003, though possibly 2004. The costumes involved in Dewprism are very detailed, so I wish to show as much attention to the little things as possible.

My point here is opinions and advice that I need to make Rue's weapon, a uselessly large axe called Arc Edge. I've posted a picture along with this.

I can see two ways of making this weapon; from one solid peice of styrofoam, or from three seperate peices interconnected with each other.

The shaft of the axe is obviously one peice, but I'd like it to be something sturdy enough to handle use without cracking or breaking. The blade and hub peices would most likely be bonded to the shaft.

The hub peice is the large circlular item that makes up most of the weapon. It's disc-shaped and quite thick, also based with a second shaft that is combined with the first Shaft peice, though this tapers off near the hilt for a thinner edge. Given the designs, on the main disc, Styrofoam seems to be the best choice.

The blade is what I'm really stuck on. I'm tempted to use wood or perhaps even sheet metal for this part. I want it to be able to take some abuse...I'm probably not going to be doing any fighting with it, but it's the weakest peice of the axe and I'd hate for it to break.

Feedback and advice are greatly needed here. Thanks.

Spooky Brew
11-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Got to the prop making tutorial, about making Tessaiga, very helpful!!

KaitouKurogo
11-06-2002, 01:24 AM
I read that already. It was indeed helpful, but I was hoping more for opinions and advice about whether or not to and how to make the axe from seperate peices and materials.

Spooky Brew
11-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Ummmm...super glue? I'm not very helpful....*someone, please come along and help me!*

Sorry! I tried! T-T
Mission failed.

BabySnowLeopard
11-06-2002, 05:47 AM
Arc Edge?? You mean the pizza cutter??? XD

ehehe... I would recommend making it in parts, it doesn't look too hard =O I would suggest foam core... and you can make it very sturdy by using illustration board as an outside layer.

~Kie