PDA

View Full Version : hunger games

sylus
03-27-2012, 01:14 AM
i didn't see a thread yet (which surprises me so maybe i'm just missing it) but i was wondering who else will be doing hunger games cosplays? i know i'm planing on doing seneca crane here soon. did a beard test earlier today for him. http://sylus08.deviantart.com/#/d4u5900 i can't wait till i get the rest of the costume done.

DaniiChan
03-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Looks so awesome!! I've done a Katniss cosplay (some pics are in my gallery, more to come) And doing Training!Katniss for a convention this weekend.. And then Glimmer for Dragon*Con :)

TheFontBandit
03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm just about to start work on an Effie costume for Dragon*Con. It'll be a variation on her style though, rather than a specific movie-based outfit. I was trying to cheat and find someplace where I could buy a "Capitol-esque" pink jacket, but no such luck yet.

HidingintheMist
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=233163

Here.

LoveofCountry
03-30-2012, 09:31 PM
i know i'm planing on doing seneca crane here soon. did a beard test earlier today for him.

His movie beard is so NARLEY, great endeavor!

I've done a Katniss cosplay

Righteous Katniss cosplay! Way to do the Games justice

I love the books and the movie did everything but disappoint, just wish there was a character I felt confident doing. I don't look enough like movie version or my brain interps of Peeta or Gale so I'm at a loss right now. Maybe I'll wait until Mockingjay gets a trailer and I can get working on a Squad 451 battle uniform.

:thumbsup:I hope I see you guys at some cons!

moonflower.
03-31-2012, 07:11 AM
I have Katniss' Training outfit done, and I'm currently working on her Reaping dress, Arena outfit (which is almost done, just need a backpack and a quiver), and Post-Interview yellow dress. I'm excited, and I'll have those for Dragon*con hopefully! After that, then I'm working on her interview, parade, and District 12 outfit, so we'll see how that goes!

~Sango~
03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm trying to put together a Foxface costume but reference photos are just as elusive as she is!

I found some great pants in my closet, they look SA to me (from Lucky if anyone's interested) but those (double?)belts are giving me trouble...anyone have any ideas?

moonflower.
03-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm trying to put together a Foxface costume but reference photos are just as elusive as she is!

I found some great pants in my closet, they look SA to me (from Lucky if anyone's interested) but those (double?)belts are giving me trouble...anyone have any ideas?

I have the Lucky ones too and I'm almost 100% sure they are screen accurate. I spent 4 hours comparing every seam on it to HQ pictures.

i think the belt wraps twice around instead of being two belts.

JordanExcelsior
04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I've been cosplaying Peeta for a bit now, I think I may have actually been the first to do a full film!Peeta cosplay. I just finished my second one (arena!Peeta) but I plan on eventually completing his interview suits in the future as well.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I did a break down on the Makeup used on Effie and a leaser degree Katniss that some of you might find helpful.

http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2012/04/paperself-loves-hunger-games-and.html
Also did a shout out to Seneca Crane beard as well. ;)

patriciarakel
04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I cosplay Katniss in her Opening Ceremonies outfit (based on the book, not the movie). I actually debuted it in December of 2010, so I think I was a little ahead of the curve on cosplays. I'm currently revamping it to add more of a flame effect (my little sister complained that it wasn't right, so it's more to get her to shut up than anything else). I might try to do an Arena version of her, or a hunting version, since I already have the wig, and there's no point in letting it go to waste. I must say, the best thing about them casting a considerably paler person for the roll means that I don't have to worry about not being tan. :)

JordanExcelsior
04-02-2012, 02:42 AM
I cosplay Katniss in her Opening Ceremonies outfit (based on the book, not the movie). I actually debuted it in December of 2010, so I think I was a little ahead of the curve on cosplays. I'm currently revamping it to add more of a flame effect (my little sister complained that it wasn't right, so it's more to get her to shit up than anything else). I might try to do an Arena version of her, or a hunting version, since I already have the wig, and there's no point in letting it go to waste. I must say, the best thing about them casting a considerably paler person for the roll means that I don't have to worry about not being tan. :)

I hope you do more Katniss! Since we are both in the Texas area I'd love to meet up and get photos with you while I'm in Peeta cosplays. :D

patriciarakel
04-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I hope you do more Katniss! Since we are both in the Texas area I'd love to meet up and get photos with you while I'm in Peeta cosplays. :D

I'm so excited to go to San Japan now that I know you're going as Peeta! I was debating on whether or not to take Katniss to SA this year, but I'm definitely going to now. I'm now thinking about doing a training center Katniss, too, since I found a similarly styled shirt that I can modify. :)

Rei2Rei
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM

I checked the Lucky Brand website, which ones are you talking about?

moonflower.
04-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I checked the Lucky Brand website, which ones are you talking about?

They are from 2011, and they are the lucky brand sergeant cargos in jungle vine. sold out everywhere i can find. i got mine on ebay

~Sango~
04-03-2012, 07:30 AM
They are from 2011, and they are the lucky brand sergeant cargos in jungle vine. sold out everywhere i can find. i got mine on ebay

yeah, I already had them in my closet. Ironically I bought them cause they made me feel like an "action hero" lol.

EnchantMe-X
04-03-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm doing Glimmer for LFCC this year. Am really short on cash so am having to find the nearest matches I can on ebay at the moment. =)

patriciarakel
04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm doing Glimmer for LFCC this year. Am really short on cash so am having to find the nearest matches I can on ebay at the moment. =)

I want to do Glimmer eventually as well. But probably more of a book version (I liked the description of the District 1 tributes being painted silver for the Opening Ceremonies). Though I really loved her fishtail braids. :D

MsMoondreams
04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Doing Katniss Everdeen for Dragon*Con but can't decide whether to do the movie version of the arena costume of the book version! O.o
Think I'll do the either reaping or training too, maybe both xD

Grapes
04-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I have the Lucky ones too and I'm almost 100% sure they are screen accurate. I spent 4 hours comparing every seam on it to HQ pictures.

i think the belt wraps twice around instead of being two belts.

Really? Why would you spend that much time comparing the seams? You must have zero life.

moonflower.
04-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Really? Why would you spend that much time comparing the seams? You must have zero life.

or maybe after coming home from working it's what i do to relax.

sylus
04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
4 hours shows dedication to her cosplay. and i for one am amazed at how accurate moonflower is on her costumes. her Amy Pond costumes are spot on (which is important when its a simple outfit/regular looking clothing) and her training outfit katniss looks great. that wig is so well done! so 4 hours dosn't equal no life, it equals a really impressive costume.

Pezzidge
04-05-2012, 11:50 PM
4 hours shows dedication to her cosplay. and i for one am amazed at how accurate moonflower is on her costumes. her Amy Pond costumes are spot on (which is important when its a simple outfit/regular looking clothing) and her training outfit katniss looks great. that wig is so well done! so 4 hours dosn't equal no life, it equals a really impressive costume.

Eh, just ignore Grapes. That kid has been trolling moonflower in other threads as well.

~Sango~
04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
anybody have any good ideas for some cheep tribute boots? I know the Banddit ones by steve madden have been popular but they're a bit expensive for me.

alpha_helix
04-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Eeeee, finally saw the movie. I am so in love with Effie's pink suit! Time will tell if I can get around to it...WANT!

Rei2Rei
04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
This thread has been VERY helpful! Thanks a bunch to you all! :heart:

Though, I had a quick question: What kind of wig is everyone using for their Katniss costumes? I've been trying to find somewhere that sells full Lace Front wig (With lace in both front and back and it at a reasonable price), but haven't have much luck.

Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

patriciarakel
04-13-2012, 09:17 PM
This thread has been VERY helpful! Thanks a bunch to you all! :heart:

Though, I had a quick question: What kind of wig is everyone using for their Katniss costumes? I've been trying to find somewhere that sells full Lace Front wig (With lace in both front and back and it at a reasonable price), but haven't have much luck.

Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mine's not based on the movie, but I just got a long dark brown wig with some long bangs and braided it down the back. I don't really see the need to have a lace front wig for it (especially one with lace in the back. I didn't even know they had those, but I bet it would be expensive, anyways).

alpha_helix
04-13-2012, 10:00 PM
The make full lace wigs that are glued or taped to the head instead of pinned to the wearers hair. These are meant to either be a very realistic prosthetic for people who have lost their hair due to chemo or other medical reasons, or are used for high budget films as they cost a couple hundred dollars.

Anyway, I'm a wig noob and haven't attempted them myself, but I do know that with patience you can make you own lace front (and thus lace sides and back!), also, if keeping baby hairs on the back of your head contained is a concern, you can add a few extra wefts in the back, or also cut 'em short to give the wig its very own baby hair. Or, you could get your hair stylist to shave a little off of your back hairline--totally unnoticeable if your hair is longer than your chin, but makes a big difference in a wig.

Yeah...I have a super low back hairline, so I think about these things a lot.

moonflower.
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
i got a lace front wig, but mine has a normal wig back and I love it. i braided it the same way as the film, cut the bangs into it, and it looks really natural on.

HarlequinRose
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
It looks like there's going to be a lot of Hunger Games at Dragon*Con! I've never been there, but if there's Hunger Games and cosplaying, count me in! :D I'll definitely want to cosplay Katniss, either Hunting, Training, or Arena depending on my time and money. What day is Dragon*Con this year?

moonflower.
04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
It looks like there's going to be a lot of Hunger Games at Dragon*Con! I've never been there, but if there's Hunger Games and cosplaying, count me in! :D I'll definitely want to cosplay Katniss, either Hunting, Training, or Arena depending on my time and money. What day is Dragon*Con this year?

It's in atlanta, over labor day weekend. but if you're planning on going and you're not local, you're going to want to book a hotel room asap. all of the main hotels sold out months ago, and the ones around them are mostly sold out too, but there's a few farther away that might still have rooms. it's definitely an awesome con.

tajiri786
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
thanks dear this is nice work i like it.

rikkuchan01
04-17-2012, 03:36 AM
ill be working on the parade chariot costume from the movie :D i just wont wear the fire because some of my friends actually want me to have real fire o-O.

tajiri786
04-19-2012, 04:11 AM
thanks dear i like this post..

Windswept23
04-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Oooh~ I'm working on an Effie Trinket (Reaping Day Outfit) cosplay at the moment, ready for London MCM in May. (:

moonfall
05-15-2012, 12:35 AM
I doubt I'll be doing Dragon*Con since it's usually so close to Anime Weekend Atlanta, which I already have plans to go to. If anyone is going to AWA, I'm planning on making Katniss's blue Reaping dress. I doubt I'll have it ready by Metrocon since that's only a month away and I have another costume I want to get done by then. I've found several patterns online that would be perfect for it.

moonflower.
05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
cut because it's unrelated.

I don't know if i've ever talked to you before, but this really just threw me off because Moonfall is the screenname i use basically everywhere but here and I just looked at that and was like 'wait that's not me" before i remembered. sorry but random XD

moonfall
05-16-2012, 02:13 AM
I remember someone saying that. I think it was you, actually.

moonflower.
05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I remember someone saying that. I think it was you, actually.

possibly. I'm losing my mind so i don't remember some things sometimes. but yeah. that confused me. lmao. but that's awesome that the two moonfalls are both cosplaying from the same series! great taste! =P

Katieasaur
05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Doing Katniss for my very first cosplay and expo yayyyy

Roxey20
09-25-2012, 05:14 AM
I've got Katniss' Tribute Parade outfit in the works from the movie. Planning to wear it for Halloween since it's something everyone over here in Seoul will recognize. ^_^ And my friend is dressing up as Effie. So far I have the wig *almost* done and I'm planning to get a good chunk of the outfit done this weekend. ^_^

The braids are killing me... And figuring out how to make myself look like I'm on fire without setting myself on fire...

Suzie Blue
02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey, all! This thread looks like it's in need of a revival! ^.^

Although I should be working on other costumes, watching THG last night really got me in the mood to start on a HG-inspired dress I am making for a friend. A few weeks ago, she asked me about what she should wear to the premiere and suggested Katniss' half-burned wedding dress! I am using an old prom dress of mine as bass off which to work, and adding various fabrics to make it look like it's on fire! :D I have a good plan but turning those ideas into a physical piece is going to be the hard part.

StarsCASSiOPEiA
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Suzie-- I've actually been trying to tackle that same issue too, haha. I'm thinking that layering varios fabrics, like a yellow-orange tulle or organza gathered over top of a shiny red fabric, might be a cool way to do a streak of flame.

Personally, I'm also gonna go with the EL Wire route to add a little extra warm glow, since I'm already buying a bunch of orange and yellow for another project. Might as well make use of the extra, right? *laughs*

Identity-Crisis
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I threw together a closet cosplay of President Snow and it turned out surprisingly well.

StarsCASSiOPEiA
05-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Finished my Mockingjay dress (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/450276/)! Soooo happy with how it came out!

tanya2s
05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
I've been drooling over the movie promo shots of the pre-burned wedding dress! Sure, it looks nothing like the book description but it's a fabulous outfit and if I had some place to wear it (don't think I could make it to DragonCon and ComicCon is way too crowded for a ballgown) I'd be so tempted. Heck, I'm still tempted!

The scary thing is, I'm pretty sure I could make it for under $250, if I were willing to invest loads of time and effort into the process. And if I had some place to store it, away from cats and destructive toddlers... Is it wrong that I've already figured out how I'd do the rows of ruffles and trim on the skirt layers? ;)

The only thing stopping me right now from going out and buying supplies is the possibility that the post-burned dress will be even more fabulous, and I'd hate to miss out on the chance to make THAT one instead!

Identity-Crisis
05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Gorgeous
I almost wish the feathers continued onto the top, but that's a lot of feathers already..

StarsCASSiOPEiA
05-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Thank you! <3

I actually thought about that! Unfortunately feathers tend to lay really flat, which doesn't work so well when trying to curve around a bust. I definitely have plans to add more details to the top, and I think I might add some off-the-shoulder 'wings' via sleeves as well!

Identity-Crisis
05-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Ah, right. I didn't think about that.
The sleeves sound nice though.

Shana05
10-31-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm playing with the idea of cosplaying Fox Face. The problem is the training shirts and sponsor bags all say 12. Does anyone know of a way I could alter the number into a 5? Or some other way around this? I wouldn't mind doing her interview dress but I'd worry about making it recognizable.

Shana05
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm now tempted to do Katniss chariot costume from Catching fire after seeing this photo (http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/Sango1115/tumblr_mvumim9KZj1rpz2veo7_r1_250_zps866ce7d2.jpg) . I still might do Fox Face but this outfit is gorgeous. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this? It would also be awesome if I could something to create and illuision or suggest flames (http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/Sango1115/article-2478150-1907E1B300000578-942_634x316_zpsf5957c62.jpg).

Cameron1138
01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm wondering about one of the fancy jackets Haymitch wore during Catching Fire. I thought I remembered him wearing it during the party scene at President Snow's house, but then I found a picture of him from it and he was wearing something completely different. Anyway, the one I'm thinking of was a really cool, somewhat futuristic looking military style jacket that was either black or grey and had white accents. I think it was double breasted, but it had no visible buttons, and there were little gold bars on the epaulettes. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do you know if/where I might be able to buy something resembling it? I don't want it for cosplay, just for everyday use because it was an awesome jacket.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Ok I just did my post on the Catching Fire movie makeup for Effie, Katniss's looks and Johanna's interview . ;)

http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2014/01/paperself-still-loves-hunger-games.html

Sapphirecatgirl
04-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I made a cosplay for a Capitol Citizen out of satin with peacock feathers and motifs.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/472676/
I am wondering if anyone made a post-burned Katniss Mockingjay dress with a set of wings. I also wonder if anyone tried to make a book version of the pre-burned wedding dress...

StarsCASSiOPEiA
11-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Bringing this back because of Mockingjay part 1!

https://31.media.tumblr.com/256757c516a19769f58405ccbb2e699f/tumblr_nfdoywvkI61r8proko1_1280.jpg

ichigo_m.
11-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Cassie that dress is so beautiful~ <3

I've been playing around with the idea of making a Hunger Games cosplay. I'm not sure yet but Katniss' arena gear from the second movie might be fun~

Shana05
11-29-2014, 02:08 AM
Here's a selfie I took before going to the movie. I don't think anyone realized I was cosplaying due to my winter coat.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/Sango1115/10805824_10152790578378614_8955282542938425173_n_z psda412d83.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/Sango1115/media/10805824_10152790578378614_8955282542938425173_n_z psda412d83.jpg.html)