PDA

View Full Version : Rules/Updates

Admin
04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
This is a temporary location for the Marketplace, while we create a new version that allows us to keep scammers to a minimum. For more information on why we had to do this, please read the old announcement here: http://www.cosplay.com/announcement.php?f=77

I'm pasting the rules from the old marketplace below. Please post in the appropriate category in this forum.

We are enacting a zero-tolerance policy from this point forward.

IMPORTANT: Non-cosplay items are not allowed in here.

1. The Cosplay.com Marketplace is a free service available to all registered and active Cosplay.com members who have been members of Cosplay.com for at least 30 days, and who have at least 10 posts in the forums.

2. Buyer beware. Cosplay.com is not responsible for any transactions that take place using the marketplace. The service is provided as-is, for our members to use at their own discretion. By using the service, you agree to not hold Cosplay.com liable for any issues that arise from the use of the service.

3. Seller beware. Cosplay.com is not responsible for any transactions that take place using the marketplace. The service is provided as-is, for our members to use at their own discretion. By using the service, you agree to not hold Cosplay.com liable for any issues that arise from the use of the service.

4. Cosplay.com does not warrant the accuracy of any ad or any information posted in the marketplace.

5. By posting an ad, you warrant that the item is in your possession and is available for sale. No pre-sales are allowed.

6. Cosplay.com may, at its sole discretion, remove any ad without the permission of the seller.

7. Anyone receiving repeated complaints will have their account reviewed, with possible site-wide account suspension.

8. All items posted for sale must be used/pre-owned items. NO RESELLERS ALLOWED. Breaking this rule is the fastest way to get banned from the site completely.

9. All advertisements expire after 30 days. After expiration, you may relist your item if it hasn't sold yet.

10. All "commission" ads must be cosplay-related.

11. Photography services, including but not limited to photoshoots, photo prints and photo manipulation, are not allowed.

12. Your ad may not link to any website selling new cosplay items.

13. Your ad may not be used for the purpose of sending people to another website.

14. No links to auctions.

15. No contact lenses.

16. Please clearly define the terms of your sale in your ad details. For example, if you are only accepting Paypal, then say so.

17. Describe your item as specifically as possible.

18. Keywords used in ad placements must be relevant to the item for sale. Intentional keyword abuse will result in the removal of the advertisement.

20. No illegal items. No obscene items. No bootlegs. By using this service you agree to adhere to all applicable laws with regard to the legality, sale, accuracy, payment, and delivery of any item contained in any advertisement you submit.

21. Transactions must be completed off-site. Cosplay.com is not responsible for your transaction. Cosplay.com will not review your transaction. Cosplay.com will not arbitrate or broker your transaction.

22. You are allowed to post the following:

One ad in each of the "Commission For Hire" categories.
Multiple ads in all other categories.

23. When an item is sold, please mark it as sold. You can do so by clicking on "SOLD IT" while looking at your advertisement.

24. Images uploaded must be of the actual item you are selling.

25. No selling of your items in comments for other items. You may not take sales from other members by posting in their advertisements.

26. If you post more than one ad in a Commission category, we will remove all but the oldest ad.

27. Cosplay.com reserves the right to modify these rules at any time. It is up to you to periodically check the rules for your own compliance

kkroxas2011
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
so basiclly when will the marketplace reopen?

Admin
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
A few weeks. Until then, please use this forum.

I will also have the previous ads accessible shortly, in case you want to copy your old one over here.

AmazingKenchan
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm an experienced marketplace crawler and moderator, I've been making my living off other marketplaces from other forums for the last 7 years. If you need any assistance, marketplace-specific moderation, etc. I'm willing to offer my services! I've watched cosplay.com for a while, I've only had a 60% successful transaction record here myself, so I'm REALLY happy to see something finally being done about it! Shoot me a PM if you guys need help, I'll pull some credentials for ya :)

Ashli-chan
04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
When the new Marketplace opens, will all of our previous feedback remain with our accounts? I've had over 50 positives, and I'd really hate to loose all of that.

Admin
04-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll work out a way to carry that over, definitely. New feedback system will be slightly different but I agree that there's no reason you should lose all of your previous positives.

A14jojo
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
What will happen to ads that had just been posted before the Marketplace was taken down? Will we have lost all the info we had posted for them? and will there still be a "looking to buy" section?

Admin
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
They're not being deleted. I'm taking the day off today and then tomorrow I'll have something up for you to reference your old ads.

vorquellewen
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a few items that I want to sell but I'm not sure if they are considered strictly cosplay as I understand it, i.e. a specific character. They were made to be worn and have been worn as costumes but are original designs, can I still sell them in the marketplace forum?

kkroxas2011
04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
yeah same here

mizuki_hikaru
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Will non-cosplay items ever be allowed again? I'd like to sell some bento-boxes, anime cd's and other asian/convention type stuff. Also are jewelry items still considered cosplay as well as shoes that can be used outside of conventions? I'm sorry for all the questions, but it was kinda nice being able to sell items such as bentos and things that might be used for conventions. Kinda sucks for those that didn't abuse it. Don't get me wrong what must be done must be done, but...awwwww. :(

Admin
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
We're still deciding on the non-cosplay stuff, but I will say in advance that it was around 50% of the complaints. Since non-cosplay is pretty much the same as off-topic, we'll only put that section back up if we know the new feedback system suits it better and we can keep it more under control.

I really don't mind having something like that up, but with the way the marketplace just gets more and more popular, we're also seeing some newer members get to the 10 post count minimum in a rush on Day #29 just to jump in on Day #30 and sell a few plushies and old DVD's. And that's really not what this site is here for. We'll talk about it more in the near future.

A14jojo
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
So where can we post "Want to buy" ads?

xxmossgardenxx
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Seconding the post asking about where to post Want to Buy adds.

CyberCandy
04-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Can I third the wtb ads? XD

Ninbri
04-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I wish the non-cosplay related items were still up. Because we could still sell stuff related to anime, not just things used for cosplay. Like video games, figures, etc.

I want a delete button on these forums. ;w;
& I uh.. fourth the wtb ads? xD

Ronnichu
04-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I would also like to know where to post want to buy ads! =D

tarinalove
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I wish there was a higher limit than '10 posts' because I saw a lot of people who have never posted here before (and their webpage is new) posting in the sub forum marketplace. :/

orah257
04-18-2012, 09:01 AM
We really need a delete ad button. It will get really clogged in the marketplace if not :|

Ninbri
04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
^ What she said.
Or for commissioners who are no longer offering commissions.

Kazukii
04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Please moderate. There are people with 4x ads, and people posting in the wrong sections. :|

TheCosplayFox
04-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Moderate is true I've seen people in very section's without knowing and then people are also posting the same ad more the once and it's clogging up the whole forum along with people not being able to delete a forum =/.

Cant we get something where we can at least somehow maybe change the title of our ad to closed or something it would help out a bit.

Ninbri
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Usually when I make an ad I have to make a new one because I've been allowed access to create more things other than just what the title says, so maybe if we could change the titles of our ads, or be able to delete our ads, that would save a lot of time and forum space.

angelbabycakes
04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Agreed! Lots of ads are getting shoved to the bottom because people are creating multiple ads of the same thing. Also, the whole bumping thread thing is driving me insane. I see why people are doing it, but bumping one time a day is plenty. :/ A rule on bumping would be great.

errido
04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
↑↑↑agree with the bumping and delete button.
And I agree with 10+ posts for commissioners. >.> why don't you get around here and get to know people here before you start to make sales?

Ronnichu
04-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with all of this! Especially the bumping rule. Some people are doing it about ten times a day. Are there any moderators around?

TheCosplayFox
04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
If you make new things then what your old thread says why don't you just add that into the description?

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
wrong place sorry

kkroxas2011
04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
some people are also being mean about things from what i was seeing in ads that people put. we should have an ignore button so we don't have to deal with them.

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
I agree. ^

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
i ALSO notice the only 2 that are saying others are being mean, are the ones that broke the rules?
kkroxas2011 with posting commissions for things that are NOT cosplay related, and brilikesmoose for posting more then 1 ad in the commission section..no one is being rude to you. ive read your ads, all of them. the only thing i can see where you may think people are being rude is when they tell you your doing things your not suppose to, and quoting the rules to you, if your not going to obide by the rules of the forum, then dont post.

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Then we should get to have a title edit button or a delete button.

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 06:48 PM
there IS an edit button. just hit edit on the bottom left of your post and delete the text or post a link in all of them to go to one ad and say something like "i guess i cant have more then one ad, so go here **LINK**"

then edit the one ad to show all the stuff you will commission..its pretty easy..that way you can post all your commissioning, AND not break the rules. kinda like a loop hole..

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Not a TITLE edit button.

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
But sure, I'll do that.

ScaryMissMerry
04-20-2012, 07:07 PM
The bumping of threads is getting a little ridiculous; folks shouldn't bump their threads until they fall off the first page, imo.

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
The bumping of threads is getting a little ridiculous; folks shouldn't bump their threads until they fall off the first page, imo.

im getting kinda sick of this too..im tired of seeing the same thread with 15 bumps and no one wanting to buy from it..all it does is make them look desprate to sell. it doesnt make others WANT it more..in fact..it more annoys others..

o, brilikesmoose, i figured out the title edit ^_^ when you hit the edit button i mentioned, theres 3 options, one is save and the next is go advanced..hit that one. it takes you to the same page as when you first started the thread..so it lets you type a new title..
EDIT NVM..the title change didnt really do anything..

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah, If there was a title edit button things would be so much easier @-@
Sorry for seeming rude!

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
no its ok, and i can see where you should be able to post for DIFFERENT types like one or wigs one for costumes blah blah blah, but they only made one thread for some stupid reason (i think there should be the others) but it stops the clutter to put it all in one just until the marketplace goes back up. also, i put up a thread in the HQ forums hoping for an answer. i asked if theres a way i can change it, cuz i added another commission type to mine, but i cant add those on the title

Ninbri
04-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Exactly my predicament! haha.

JasonTerror
04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
well, i know how long admin or mods take to get to those threads sometimes so im gonna give it a few days..lol thats about how long ive seen them take on average to answer anything in that forum..

kkroxas2011
04-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Im not talking about my ads i was saying when i saw different ads not mine, some people were being rude is what i was trying to get at.

FluffyCoatIzaya
04-21-2012, 03:10 PM
i kinda figured the bumping thing was ok since lots of people where doing it?:/ i guess i wont do it any more unless it leaves the 1st or second page.

kuroi_shi
04-21-2012, 03:17 PM

I agree with that too.. I won't bump anything until I'm at the second page.. But a few people are bumping once or twice an hour...

FluffyCoatIzaya
04-21-2012, 03:35 PM
thats a little too much i agree every hour is too much.

Ronnichu
04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, and some people are reposting their ads and bumping all of them every hour or so. THAT is what's annoying.

angelbabycakes
04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Also, where's a mod to delete the threads that have non-cosplay related items? I have seen quite a bit going on.

There should be a bumping limit, as I've stated before...and I miss the marketplace because some people are abusing the forums and not following the rules. It's super annoying.

Blossomberry
04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi! I don't mean to be a bother, but can a mod please delete my old sales post? It's located here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=284329 (I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!). I would like to post a new ad with more costumes, but would like this one deleted first. Thank you!

yazwriter13
04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
hi im new here and well i don't know how to post ads up? also when i was checking out in the market place thats temporary i saw alot of people being rude to the sellers and also what kinds of things can i sell here like cosplay wise?

kracken29
04-25-2012, 11:54 AM
hi im new here and well i don't know how to post ads up? also when i was checking out in the market place thats temporary i saw alot of people being rude to the sellers and also what kinds of things can i sell here like cosplay wise?

Click 'New Thread', in whichever section you want to post an ad.

Whatever cosplay items you want to sell; wigs, costumes, or props/accessories. They're the subforums listed in the marketplace.

Ends Beginning
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Just so you know you should read through the actualy rules before doing anything. It does state that you need at least 30 days of being a memeber and 10 posts before you can post anything in the Marketplace. Were you are brand new you may want to brush up on rules and get to know the site before posting.

"1. The Cosplay.com Marketplace is a free service available to all registered and active Cosplay.com members who have been members of Cosplay.com for at least 30 days, and who have at least 10 posts in the forums."

Admin
04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I've added the ability to open/close your own threads. When you no longer need the listing (sold something, or starting a new one) - simply close your thread. You may want to put something at the end stating it was sold or edit the first post to show this.

We are not allowing anyone to delete a thread at this time, since it would mean we can't look something up if there are complaints about a user.

Ninbri
04-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I've closed my last commission thread (since I have added more things to the list that I can take commissions for) & made a new one, so hopefully that's alright!

BiZ
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
How can I delete a thread? I was on my friend's computer and posted my thread to her account on accident. I closed it and deleted the information but I would like it to be removed to avoid confusion for potential buyers. Thanks.

This is the thread in question:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=287179

Sanda
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
What's the verdict on the bumping? What is a reasonable bump limit? It's too inefficient when the same 10 threads are at the top with "new" replies.

Ketsivaun
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM
I agree with not bumping every hr even if people are desperate to sell costumes/wigs/etc for money [like me] -cough- guilty as charged. I try not to bump unless I am replying to someone's question or if my thread is on the 2nd or 3rd page. I usually try to wait until my thread is on the 3rd page to bump though so hopefully that doesn't make me look annoying to other cosplay.com users. ;x

Chelseahavoc
04-28-2012, 01:51 AM
yeah i try to wait at least 2 days and by then my thread is somewhere hidden in the abyss of stuff to sell. i really wish there was a way to edit the topic of the post so i dont contribute to the hoard of topics just to fix my typo or to update what im selling to attract buyers =/

angelbabycakes
04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
People are still posting non-cosplay related items. Their threads need to either be closed or edited to exclude these items until it is allowed again, if it is.

kracken29
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
People are still posting non-cosplay related items. Their threads need to either be closed or edited to exclude these items until it is allowed again, if it is.

Seconded.

I also agree with people continuously bumping their ads. There's no reason for the same 10+ ads to be on the first page every single day. People do read more than just the first page.

A14jojo
05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
A few weeks. Until then, please use this forum.

I will also have the previous ads accessible shortly, in case you want to copy your old one over here.

Are the old ads still accessible? I recently lost the info for my previous ads and need it desperately.

EDIT: Never mind, someone helped me with that. Sorry for the trouble.

Admin
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Thread bumping is now disabled. Threads are ordered by newest thread first instead of newest reply.

Ororo Howlett
05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd like to sell some fabric, is that allowed? If so, in what section should I place the ad?

KittyKUNTagious
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
I hope our old feedbacks and the items we already listed are still going to be there when the new market place is available.

kracken29
05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but non-cosplay items are still not allowed to be sold here, correct? Because there are still a lot of people listing things for sale that have nothing to do with cosplay.

Ends Beginning
05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
I hear ya kraken. It does state clearly in the rules that it is not allowed. So what I've started doing since people clearly don't listen or pay attention is I report them and in the comments not that the posted rules state that Non-Cosplay items are not allowed. If the people themselves won't listen and the mods don't read this thread then maybe the reported threads will get their attention.
Now I am not doing this to be mean, but to show that rules are rules and need to be followed.

RitsukaUzumaki
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Can we please have a place for peoples "Wanted cosplay.." or "I'm looking for.."
Because it's getting quite annoying and distracting.
Also a lot of people doing these threads just put up the name of the cosplay, so others think they are selling it when actually they are wanting to buy one.

Please do something about this!?!?! T_T

Ends Beginning
05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
What else is annoying is the people who post up new ads for the same stuff and never close their older ads. When I post an new ad I always close the old ad and there is always an update to with whats lists, price, ect... I mean why post the same ad again if nothing has changed? At least make some sort of update if you need a new ad for goodness sake.
Like how I just reposted my ad because I am now willing to accept trades, negotiate price and updated some other info.

kkroxas2011
05-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Can we please have a place for peoples "Wanted cosplay.." or "I'm looking for.."
Because it's getting quite annoying and distracting.
Also a lot of people doing these threads just put up the name of the cosplay, so others think they are selling it when actually they are wanting to buy one.

Please do something about this!?!?! T_T

i agree with her i thought a person was selling a cosplay and i wanted to buy it from them but they were looking for one please do something about this and also for the wigs too like a "looking for Wigs"

kracken29
05-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Is it possible to stop people from posting ads, then closing them and opening up the exact same ad either in a different subforum or the same one they just posted in?

Cause it's getting pretty irritating to see multiple threads with the exact same things listed with the exact same title, over and over again. It's the same people doing it, too.

And there are still people who are trying to bump their ads. Bumping is disabled, kids. You can't get your ad to the top of the first page again. Also you need to stop posting in your ads that you're desperate for things to sell or be commissioned for you. That's annoying and it won't get you anywhere.

kkroxas2011
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
can we get a edit the title name for our ads? so we dont have to keep posting all the time our updates?

Ninbri
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Agree. ^^^

kkroxas2011
05-24-2012, 01:52 AM
please do this for us thank you.

RitsukaUzumaki
05-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Is it possible to stop people from posting ads, then closing them and opening up the exact same ad either in a different subforum or the same one they just posted in?

Cause it's getting pretty irritating to see multiple threads with the exact same things listed with the exact same title, over and over again. It's the same people doing it, too.

And there are still people who are trying to bump their ads. Bumping is disabled, kids. You can't get your ad to the top of the first page again. Also you need to stop posting in your ads that you're desperate for things to sell or be commissioned for you. That's annoying and it won't get you anywhere.

For real. If no one wanted it, then wait a few months and post again or go to ebay. The market place isn't for spamming!!

Serephita
05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd like to sell some fabric, is that allowed? If so, in what section should I place the ad?

This is a question I'd like to know the answer to as well! I have tons of fabric that I haven't cut (all of it 2+ yards) that I'd like to sell since I've had some success of selling fabric on this site before, but I don't know if its allowed anymore/if there's a place to list it. I also have a ton of trims I'm trying to sell as a bulk thing. =\

kkroxas2011
05-31-2012, 03:00 AM
Who can I talk to about reporting a user that is a scammer

JasonTerror
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Who can I talk to about reporting a user that is a scammer

PMing admin is probably the best bet since he can ban. but telling any moderator should work to since theyd just tell him..also maybe putting up a review (if you had a problem with them personally through transactions) or making a warning thread on the review forum.

kkroxas2011
05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
PMing admin is probably the best bet since he can ban. but telling any moderator should work to since theyd just tell him..also maybe putting up a review (if you had a problem with them personally through transactions) or making a warning thread on the review forum.

i see thank you jason i did also pmed the admin too.

angelbabycakes
06-15-2012, 01:47 AM
There needs to be something to stop people from posting in the marketplace that don't meet the requirements...like there used to be. People are still posting and selling things without all requirements met.

kracken29
06-17-2012, 08:51 AM
There needs to be something to stop people from posting in the marketplace that don't meet the requirements...like there used to be. People are still posting and selling things without all requirements met.

I'm seeing this all over the place. Can't there be blocks or something set up to stop someone from posting without meeting the requirements?

And there are still postings of non-cosplay items from people who don't bother reading the rules. Then when we say something in their thread, we're considered rude or mean for telling them.

kuramasan
06-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Is there any notion of when decisions regarding what will happen with the marketplace will take place?
And does any knowledge exist about what types of solutions to the marketplace have been proposed? (mods to just monitor the marketplace? banning rules? a banner which warns both a seller AND a buyer that there is some type of penalty for buying and selling non-cosplay items?)

I just want to know SOMETHING.
I really really miss the marketplace. It was such a wonderful place to buy and sell used cosplays with a great visual aspect which allowed for easy browsing of items.
I used to check it nearly every single day. It was GREAT!

Ends Beginning
06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
The Mods/Admins don't really enforce things which is why all these people keep posting things they shouldn't be and why people who shouldn't be posting are. None of them read the rules. The think there should be a quiz that qualifies you to post in the marketplace and that if you fail the quiz you have to wait a set time to take it again giving you time to study up ont he rules anf igure out what you did wrong.

For now until someone figures out a better process I've stopped lisitng here in favor of using other methods to seel my wares. I'm sick of my ads being pushed out for kids selling cheap possibly bootleg anime/video game merch or posting the same ad 18 times when no one is interested in the stuff they have. Sad that this feature has gone down hill thanks to people who can't/won't read or follow the rules. :lost:

angelbabycakes
06-20-2012, 04:56 PM
The Mods/Admins don't really enforce things which is why all these people keep posting things they shouldn't be and why people who shouldn't be posting are. None of them read the rules. The think there should be a quiz that qualifies you to post in the marketplace and that if you fail the quiz you have to wait a set time to take it again giving you time to study up ont he rules anf igure out what you did wrong.

For now until someone figures out a better process I've stopped lisitng here in favor of using other methods to seel my wares. I'm sick of my ads being pushed out for kids selling cheap possibly bootleg anime/video game merch or posting the same ad 18 times when no one is interested in the stuff they have. Sad that this feature has gone down hill thanks to people who can't/won't read or follow the rules. :lost:

I agree. People are closing ads and opening up the exact same ad just to get on the first page again...several times a week. I used the marketplace to buy cosplays all the time before. Now I know when i open it, the same two or three people will be flooding every section. :/

JasonTerror
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I can see the reason for reposting. It's cuz most people on here look on the first page and if there's nothing they move on and those ads never get seen. So they repost it cuz everyone is too Damn lazy to search nowadays. They avoid searching like the freaking plague.

But when is only been a few days it gets really annoying

Ninbri
06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
They probably keep doing things that aren't allowed because they know they won't get the consequences of it. (aka banning)

Millions_Knives
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
is there anyone with enough insight to know who is maintaining this sight?
id like to think its a community thing but priorities seem elsewhere
i hate to see repeat offenders be flamed down by the regulars
and those with vested interest in these forums
but ive seen it more than once :/

RitsukaUzumaki
06-23-2012, 01:29 AM
You should have to use read the rules before able to post and if you break the rules 3 times you're suspended for a while and if you break them again you're banned from the marketplace.

This would make people stop breaking the rules. Loss of an account is best way to stop rule breakers.

kr1ssy
06-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Is there any way we could at least get a title edit button anytime soon? I really need to change the title of my thread but I don't want to be spammy and deleting isn't an option. I also think this would be helpful again slowing down all the spammers.

kkroxas2011
06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
apparently selling things as gift on via paypal is illegal is this true?

sailortintin
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM

It counts as fraud *It's not a gift after all*, which is illegal in most countries. Personally, if a seller will only take payment as a gift, I would not buy from them for fear of being scammed.

Kikaisaigono
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Asking someone to pay you as a gift is scamming paypal out of their cut of the sell (the fee) and is against their policies. It also means that should you decide to take the buyer's money and run they can't do a chargeback to get their money back. It's bad, it should be avoided. The fees honestly are not that much and either your or the buyer should just pay them.

kkroxas2011
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Asking someone to pay you as a gift is scamming paypal out of their cut of the sell (the fee) and is against their policies. It also means that should you decide to take the buyer's money and run they can't do a chargeback to get their money back. It's bad, it should be avoided. The fees honestly are not that much and either your or the buyer should just pay them.

i see okay thank you guys :D you guys helped me sooo much

Ends Beginning
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM

I believe the feee is based on a small percentage so it usually only ends up being a few dollars or less. You should make sure you are clear as to who pays the fees. There are options for have the buyer pay the or have the seller pay them. So if you have the buyer paying them make sure you account for that.
Say you are charging $20 and the fee is $1. make sure the buyer knows to send $21 to cover the fee if not then you will end up with only $19. You wouldn't believe the people I've had to explain that to when I email them telling them they need to send additional funds to pay the fee since they were suppose to pay it, but picked the wrong option and charged me the fee instead. -_-

Kikaisaigono
06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
I believe the feee is based on a small percentage so it usually only ends up being a few dollars or less. You should make sure you are clear as to who pays the fees. There are options for have the buyer pay the or have the seller pay them. So if you have the buyer paying them make sure you account for that.
Say you are charging $20 and the fee is $1. make sure the buyer knows to send $21 to cover the fee if not then you will end up with only $19. You wouldn't believe the people I've had to explain that to when I email them telling them they need to send additional funds to pay the fee since they were suppose to pay it, but picked the wrong option and charged me the fee instead. -_-

Now paypal asks if you are going to pay the fee or the seller when you check out, and it will add the fee on top of the amount you are already paying (so if you buy something for $20, you still enter 20 in the payment field, select "I will pay the fee" and it will add the fee on for you, no more calculating! :)

kkroxas2011
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Now paypal asks if you are going to pay the fee or the seller when you check out, and it will add the fee on top of the amount you are already paying (so if you buy something for $20, you still enter 20 in the payment field, select "I will pay the fee" and it will add the fee on for you, no more calculating! :)

apparently its also illegal for a seller to ask a buyer to pay the fee's is this also true because i just got answered that you can not tell your buyer to pay as gift but also that you cant ask them to pay the fee's either?

angelbabycakes
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
apparently its also illegal for a seller to ask a buyer to pay the fee's is this also true because i just got answered that you can not tell your buyer to pay as gift but also that you cant ask them to pay the fee's either?

It specifically states this in the user agreement as being a violation, but if PayPal is changing the policy, then great for sellers! It may be that you have to say you are charging the surcharge upfront...I think I read something of that nature on the updated policy. The best way to find out is to ask PayPal. I think I'll do just that and report back with what I'm told. :)

EDIT: Policy as of May 1, 2012

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

8. Fees.

8.1 Fees Overview.

Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee.
(ie. the seller)

Here is where I think people are getting confused...
** For PayPal Business Payments (not purchase, which is used for transactions by most people on Coscom), the PayPal Business Payment Fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this Fee.

This is only applicable by PayPal Business Payments (to be in this field, you must be an actual business and have submitted an application, have actual monthly revenue proof, and been approved by PayPal). Yes, there is an option where the seller can choose to pay the fee or have the buyer pay the fee, but only if you qualify as a PayPal Business, otherwise, charging the buyer the seller surcharges is a breach of their agreement and can be punishable by legal means, fines, suspension of account, etc.

I hoped this help clear up any confusion.

angelbabycakes
07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I have a question about photos of products.

Rule 24 says it must be of the actual item you are selling...does this mean no stock photos (meaning if it came from eBay, a site, etc)?

If so, several people are breaking that rule.

maggietron
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Yea Im getting sick of seeing stock photos, and Also that people aren't posting pics at all of the costume in the thread.
I know they are saying " will send a pic to serious buyers via emails" But how is someone supposed to know if they seriously want to buy it when they dont even know what it looks like. I also hate wasting my time by emailing, waiting for a response with pics attached, and then turning around not wanting it cause of whatever reason. I feel that's more of a waste of time for the buyer and the seller, especially if the seller is thinking the person is 100% committed to wanting it caused they emailed. End of rant.

Ninbri
07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I access coscom via my cell phone, and it takes up quote a lot of time to upload pictures to an.image hosting site, switching windows, posting them here, especially if there's more than one. I find e-mailing easier for me personally because its connected straight to.my phone and I can answer almost immediately with pictures attached.

Ends Beginning
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree with maggietron on the whole "emailing thing" I mean at least post one or two pictures in the thread. If the seller only wants serious buyers then they are more likly to weed out the not so serious ones with a few decent pictures. Then the serious ones can email the seller for more pictures if they want them.

Chao-Fangirl
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
If a seller cannot take the time to properly advertise what they are selling (and that includes posting pictures in their ad), then I will simply move on to the next sales thread.

Ninbri
07-09-2012, 02:18 PM
butRight, it does get annoying if a seller has absolutely no pictures on their post. There is no point to that.
But posting one or two generic pictures of what your selling and asking buyers to e-mail you for more up close and detailed photos is reasonable.

Chao-Fangirl
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
butRight, it does get annoying if a seller has absolutely no pictures on their post. There is no point to that.
But posting one or two generic pictures of what your selling and asking buyers to e-mail you for more up close and detailed photos is reasonable.

As long as the buyer is able to get a basic idea as to what the item(s) look like, that sounds reasonable to me.

maggietron
07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I access coscom via my cell phone, and it takes up quote a lot of time to upload pictures to an.image hosting site, switching windows, posting them here, especially if there's more than one. I find e-mailing easier for me personally because its connected straight to.my phone and I can answer almost immediately with pictures attached.

I understand where your coming from, but there is no way that they ALL are doing the same. If you wanna sell something then like everyone else said, atleast show one pic, and if someones serious they can have more pics emailed to them.
But I tend to do the same. If there are no pics i move on.

Chergnomebyl
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Agreed. If I was a seller, I would at least like to show off the merchandice I am selling. It helps out everyone who wishes to purchase it, that way they know what the condition of the costume is in without having to e-mail people, then finding out it's something completely different. Providing pictures makes it easier for us to see if we think it's worth buying.

kkroxas2011
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
i think ADMIN should really put a delete button

JasonTerror
07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
i think ADMIN should really put a delete button

OMG EFFING YES HE SHOULD!!

kkroxas2011
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
OMG EFFING YES HE SHOULD!!

right? im already tired of having to open and close ads. if we had a delete button we could not have so many people spam the market place. and alot of people arent closing there old ads and posting there same ad over and over in the same page they dont even let the ad go to the 4 page. and im trying to not post another ad with the same things over and over i try to add a few more things. :( but i do understand them in being desperate in selling their things but just close your other ads that have the same thing is all. but again i still think the admin should make us a delete button for our ads.

angelbabycakes
07-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Admin has stated they will not make a delete button. The reason behind this is because if there is an issue, the thread is deleted and all proof of what interaction was going on and the like is lost. I understand that it's frustrating, but I also understand the reasoning behind it.

maggietron
07-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Admin has stated they will not make a delete button. The reason behind this is because if there is an issue, the thread is deleted and all proof of what interaction was going on and the like is lost. I understand that it's frustrating, but I also understand the reasoning behind it.

I wish i could just click like on a comment. lol like on fb.. ;P

kkroxas2011
07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

i as well but its just getting tiredsome

Chergnomebyl
07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
There are a LOT of things about the marketplace that are getting tiresome, but at LEAST we have a marketplace.

Noize
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
So when will the marketplace tab be up? (Like the old one)
I find the forums very difficult to use because people keep on posting the same ad up like 4 times and it clogs up the marketplace forums.

Tsukasa Hiiragi
07-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Fully read the rules now, seems very fair. "I should have read them from the start" I sorry :3

kracken29
07-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Will fabric be allowed to be sold on here again? .. Or materials in general, to make props and whatnot? I have a bunch of fabric that I never got around to using and I'd love to be able to put it on here.

angelbabycakes
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Will fabric be allowed to be sold on here again? .. Or materials in general, to make props and whatnot? I have a bunch of fabric that I never got around to using and I'd love to be able to put it on here.

There should be! A used materials section or the like. I loved buying fabric here.

double00beaver
08-04-2012, 12:51 PM
If making a new marketplace is still a ways off, could we get some way of showing feedback here? I'm hesitant to buy from anyone and selling is a hassle when you can't prove prior good transactions.

Noize
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
If making a new marketplace is still a ways off, could we get some way of showing feedback here? I'm hesitant to buy from anyone and selling is a hassle when you can't prove prior good transactions.
I agree. There are scammers on this site and I think it's for the best if we have a feedback page. I find it hard to buy stuff on this site because I don't know the user's review.

Kazukii
08-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Instead of a delete button, I'd be nice if there was a 'graveyard' of sorts. It'd get pretty full, but atleast it'd be off the main pages..

angelbabycakes
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Instead of a delete button, I'd be nice if there was a 'graveyard' of sorts. It'd get pretty full, but atleast it'd be off the main pages..

Technically, that's what the "close thread" option is for. People are supposed to be closing old threads if they want to open a new one with their product. I imagine this is kind of the same concept, or I'm not understanding what you're meaning. :)

maggietron
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Technically, that's what the "close thread" option is for. People are supposed to be closing old threads if they want to open a new one with their product. I imagine this is kind of the same concept, or I'm not understanding what you're meaning. :)

But i find ALOT of ppl are not closing the threads...

kitty-kibbles
08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree. There are scammers on this site and I think it's for the best if we have a feedback page. I find it hard to buy stuff on this site because I don't know the user's review.

Maybe make a reviews thread where people can post their experiences good/bad?

angelbabycakes
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
But i find ALOT of ppl are not closing the threads...

You are right. Many aren't. I am anxious about the new marketplace opening so feedback and threads won't be an issue anymore.

Chelseahavoc
08-16-2012, 10:01 PM
i close mine and then i get people asking me if my item is still up O.o?! what is with that

JasonTerror
08-17-2012, 01:11 AM
i close mine and then i get people asking me if my item is still up O.o?! what is with that

That's weird....I don't even know WHAT to say about this lol

Off topic, Love the Blue Rhapsody cosplay..

kracken29
08-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I just recently had someone PM me for the Yoko rifle I had posted maybe a month and a half ago, which already sold, it says it sold at the top of my OP, and the ad was closed.. That's happened in the old Marketplace, too.. Maybe people don't know what "SOLD!!" means lol

harudae
08-19-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm not trying to start anything nor do I have anything against anyone, it's great that rules are being enforced to clean up the marketplace and avoid more scammers; but I think it's enough for only one person to post a warning or simply PM a person when the rules are being broken on a listing (like for the 10 post thing, selling non-cosplay items, etc).

When like multiple people post the same "Yeah, you can't sell this here. Take down/close your thread immediately, etc" I can see why some people kind of feel intimidated selling (and a lot of them are new members too).. It's just a mistake on their part and one person telling them what needs to be done is enough, unless it's a repetitive thing.

Just my 2 cents. c:

Chao-Fangirl
08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm not trying to start anything nor do I have anything against anyone, it's great that rules are being enforced to clean up the marketplace and avoid more scammers; but I think it's enough for only one person to post a warning or simply PM a person when the rules are being broken on a listing (like for the 10 post thing, selling non-cosplay items, etc).

When like multiple people post the same "Yeah, you can't sell this here. Take down/close your thread immediately, etc" I can see why some people kind of feel intimidated selling (and a lot of them are new members too).. It's just a mistake on their part and one person telling them what needs to be done is enough, unless it's a repetitive thing.

Just my 2 cents. c:

THIS.

It is also quite tiring to come on here and see that new posts have been made just to find out it's a bunch of people saying the same thing to one person. And it's always the same people doing it too.

JasonTerror
08-19-2012, 01:29 PM
THIS.

It is also quite tiring to come on here and see that new posts have been made just to find out it's a bunch of people saying the same thing to one person. And it's always the same people doing it too.

We do it so much to people because we want others to see it so maybe people will start reading the actual rules before making posts they aren't suppose to.

Chao-Fangirl
08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
We do it so much to people because we want others to see it so maybe people will start reading the actual rules before making posts they aren't suppose to.

Only ONE person needs to post in each thread letting the OP know about the rules. Otherwise, it just gets redundant. That's the point we're trying to make here.

If the same OP keeps breaking the rules, that's another thing.

JasonTerror
08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
O, I was more talking about the same people telling other people. Yea I mean I can see where multiple posts of the same thing are not needed unless one person says not to then another posts a quote of the actual rule, I can see that. I know I have done it to a few people though..

RitsukaUzumaki
08-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Just my 2 cents. c:

I agree completely.
I am one of the several people that let others know when they are breaking the rules, but if someones already told them I leave it alone.
Only one time I've posted after two others have, because the way they explained it to the seller made the seller confused so I just cleared things up for them. Unless it's important i don't post after someone already did.
And other people should do the same. There really is no need for spamming their page.

Admin
08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I have created a new discussion for upcoming marketplace changes here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=300673

Hime no Toki
09-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Just a reminder - posts containing non-cosplay items such as figures, manga, DVDs, CDs, etc WILL BE DELETED ON SITE with no further notification to the topic creator. I've had several just this morning that I purged. Please adhere to the rules. Thanks! :)