PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon on Cartoon Network

Celine
11-06-2002, 05:27 PM
They're advertising it like it is something special~! "Pokemon, the first season! 9pm!" ^^;;; Hasn't everyone seen this show already?? When did this start anyway? I just saw the ad about ten minutes ago. Scary. But I'll probably end up watching it anyway since the old episodes are sooo bad and I haven't seen them in forever.

KuroBara
11-06-2002, 05:31 PM
It started this Monday, I believe they're showing it with the beginning of Yu-Gi-Oh.

kitty_neko
11-06-2002, 05:33 PM
ugh, i kno!
kill me now! X.x

plovor
11-06-2002, 05:35 PM
WOW.....I thought this whole phase had shifted.(too lazy to think of sarcastic comment)

Koumori
11-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Of course they know it isn't new, but it's been on for years now, so they're advertising it the same way, say, F/X advertised the first season of the X-Files, though the X-Files had been on for several years.

Sami
11-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Haha yeah, I happened to stumble upon it Monday and watched it. ^____^ I haven't seen Pokemon in a while so I was EXCITED to see it. XD *closet pokemon fan*

Mei Lan Chang
11-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Oh well. It'll be good for the kiddies. I must admit having a ponyta around would be pretty good. And you probably know what that means you pokehaters. Muahahah!

Like knowing the lyrics to a song you never really liked.

MargauxZ
11-06-2002, 09:08 PM
*watches*

Oh my god.

Babbit_Chan
11-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Rrgh.. While they're at it I hope they shift some of the lineup on Adult Swim. All this Gundam is making me nauseus... So much I don't know if I spelled that right o_o;

Celine
11-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Sami
Haha yeah, I happened to stumble upon it Monday and watched it. ^____^ I haven't seen Pokemon in a while so I was EXCITED to see it. XD *closet pokemon fan*

Well, it's kind of cool, but kind of silly. *is not a closet Pokemon fan* I am totally open about my adoration of the show!! ^_^ I just hope it doesn't go the way of Cardcaptors and fall off the face of the earth after switching to CN's lineup.

I second the motion for more new shows on Adult Swim. Inu Yasha's pretty good and Yuyu Hakusho will run forever... but Bebop and some of the Gundams have been on for a while!

LadyXara
11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Ne, speaking of Adult Swim/Cartoon Network...what happened to Toonami? Is it just me or have they gotten really lazy? ^^ I want them to bring back Ronin Warriors...or perhaps a new show...and not a Gundam one ^^ I agree with Babbit-chan, they have way too much Gundam showing right now...They are gonna end its popularity rather quickly if they don't slow down a bit ^^ Sort of like....*sarcasm alert* hm what was that show?? The one with the yellow lightning rat??*sarcasm sequence ended* ^^ LOL ...I knew it would try to come back sooner or later...ya gotta love it ne?

Love and Peace
Lady Xara

plovor
11-06-2002, 09:58 PM
I guess I'm glad I don't get that channel?

Babbit_Chan
11-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Plovor - Well, there are occasionally some good anime that get put on the CN lineup, but a lot of the time it's either Gundam (if not then plug in some other mecha anime here) or children's shows. You're not missing much 'cept the luck of Inuyasha, Blue Sub. 6, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop (amongst some other few) having been aired.

Spooky Brew
11-07-2002, 12:38 AM
I saw I saw!!! Yay! I like Pokemon, it's my comedy show. 17 and Pkemon lover, you guys are probably like:
"Rrrriiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttt....."
Can't help it!!

Celine
11-07-2002, 01:16 AM
*deviates from topic*

OK, all you people who watch CN often... how long has GI Joe been on??? I caught it tonight and flipped out. It's so terrible (I wasn't a 5-year-old boy when it was big so I guess I can't appreciate it). ^^ I can't believe they are showing it again!

Studmaster
11-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Celine
*deviates from topic*

OK, all you people who watch CN often... how long has GI Joe been on??? I caught it tonight and flipped out. It's so terrible (I wasn't a 5-year-old boy when it was big so I guess I can't appreciate it). ^^ I can't believe they are showing it again!

GI Joe has been on since Monday following G-Gundam. GI Joe would be horrible today if shown for the first time, but nostaliga makes it watchable. Its nothing more than US Propganda for kids, but I can get behind it more than a certain war, so what the hell.

Cassandra
11-07-2002, 08:50 AM
I think they brought back GI Joe because of the whole "return to old school" thing they're doing now. He-Man....Transformers: Poke-I mean Armada....I haven't watched this new airing of GI Joe (waaaaaaaaaaaay past my bedtime and since I don't like Gundam, there's no way I'm staying up to watch either) but I heard they were supposed to do a 'remake' like they did with He-Man. Is that what this is or are they just rerunning the actual old series?

Babbit_Chan
11-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Maybe they're running out of things to show *not surprised when you see all the re-runs of eps*

Koumori
11-07-2002, 11:49 AM
I think they're trying to appeal to my demographic (the late-20s, early-30s who remember it from childhood). I recall my former SO thinking, at the age of 29, that GI Joe was awesome. His roommate still had all of his old action figures and was I believe selling them for a pretty penny on ebay.

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by MargauxZ
*watches*

Oh my god.

I'll wait for Yu-Gi-Oh!, thank you very much. ^^

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Babbit_Chan
Rrgh.. While they're at it I hope they shift some of the lineup on Adult Swim. All this Gundam is making me nauseus... So much I don't know if I spelled that right o_o;

They are. In January, Toonami: MR is replaced by Adult Swim- InuYasha and Cowboy Bebop. At this rate, show us Sailor Moon Sailor Stars godammit.

Babbit_Chan
11-07-2002, 12:54 PM
I don't see why it's taking them so long to air Sailor Moon Stars - they had no problem with the other season =_=

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 12:57 PM
I don't see why it's taking them so long to air Sailor Moon Stars - they had no problem with the other season =_=

Guys that change into females... Yeah, I don't see a problem with that. .

KelBebop
11-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Celine
*deviates from topic*

*continues the deviation*

Ah yes, G.I. Joe. I liked it when it first aired, when I was in elementary school and didn't know any better! But watching it now is just painful. My roommate said it best, "No bad guys were harmed in the making of this cartoon."

Cassandra
11-07-2002, 01:05 PM

Toei won't license it to a US company because of the content. They don't want to spoil the Sailor Moon reputation in the US.

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Cassandra
Toei won't license it to a US company because of the content. They don't want to spoil the Sailor Moon reputation in the US.

Wait... You sure bout that? IIRC, Cloverway has the rights to S, SS, and SStars.

Cassandra
11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Yup. Cloverway only has the R & S movies and S TV.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=145

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=417

SleepingKirby
11-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Well, I know CN has really been sucking. I can't find an official quote, but I heard this as a rumor that I can't dispute it. After Toonami's great success with Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo and all that stuff when they first came out big, WB passed a command down to the people in Toonami. "Stop putting on good shows! You're killing our ratings!!!" It's probably true. There was a time where WB didn't want anything to do with CN and Toonami. Now, they run each other's ads. And around that time, you saw WB try to steal some of Toonami's thunder by airing some of the Toonami cartoons on Saturday Morning. The price of being too successful, I guess.

I purposely missed GI Joe. Is it the old school original or the new GI Joe Extreme that they recently made? Either one is bad in my opinion.

I can only say one thing. Thank god for adult swim.

Koumori
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by SleepingKirby
Well, I know CN has really been sucking. I can't find an official quote, but I heard this as a rumor that I can't dispute it. After Toonami's great success with Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo and all that stuff when they first came out big, WB passed a command down to the people in Toonami. "Stop putting on good shows! You're killing our ratings!!!" It's probably true.

Hmm... I don't think that holds too much water. Is CN owned by Warner Brothers? If so, I'd think they should be happy to be getting good ratings, as the money all ends up going to the same place. If not, then WB can't dictate to CN what to broadcast.

Spooky Brew
11-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I think Cartoon Network is run by Warner Brothers!

Cassandra
11-07-2002, 04:35 PM
CN and WB are both owned by AOL/TW. AOL/TW considers KidsWB their "cash cow." Toonami's original schedule/lineup was "taking" ratings from the afternoon KidsWB. That was why Toonami suddenly got chopped in half. (That's also why you started to see Toonami stuff on the WB...boost ratings there.)

Basically, it was a "WB was here first, we got you second" kinda thing and not a "*shaking fist* Darn you CN! We will do all that's possible to take you down!!" kinda thing.

Spooky Brew
11-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Eh, who knew?

Koumori
11-07-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Cassandra
not a "*shaking fist* Darn you CN! We will do all that's possible to take you down!!" kinda thing.

That would've been funnier.

plovor
11-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Babbit_Chan:Oh ok.I heard alot of really great things about Cowboy Bebop so I'll have to download it somewhere or something.

Babbit_Chan
11-07-2002, 09:02 PM
I'd have to say I'll be really happy to drop CN when the new channel comes out.

plovor
11-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know websites where you can download anime episodes?

SleepingKirby
11-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
Hmm... I don't think that holds too much water. Is CN owned by Warner Brothers? If so, I'd think they should be happy to be getting good ratings, as the money all ends up going to the same place. If not, then WB can't dictate to CN what to broadcast.

Well, although WB owns Cartoon Network, they're still two different branches. You have to realize that Cartoon Network was a black sheep when it was first born. A lot of executives were saying at the time, "Why would ANYONE in their right mind, want to watch a 24 hour cartoon channel?" Of course, a lot of people. Because it wasn't their idea, because it's not under their direct control, because they didn't have anything to do with it's creation to take the credit, and because they don't get directo profit off it, WB does stuff like this.

Let's put it this way. Let's say you and your cousin both start a costume individually. Although you too are related, it doesn't mean what ever she/he gains, it is your's too. But if you're the head of the family, you can say things like, " This isn't good for the family! Do less business! (or does that only apply to Chinese families now?)" and he/she will have to listen. CN and WB both their own budgets. Whatever they earn is whatever they earn unless something happens from the big boss upstairs.

To make a long story short (too late!) it's all about the ego. If you've ever worked with some of these people, you'd know that the entertainment industry of this country isn't about making a good product, proving you're the best, or even about the money anymore. It's about making yourself look good so, A) you don't get fired. B) people will only look up to you. Trust me, it's all about the ego here in Burbank. Money is a close second.

Ranma Saotome
11-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Kinda...

WB = Time Warner

CN = Turner Networks

Time Warner bought out Turner Network and let things be normal. Now that AOL swooped in and it's AOLTW, all Turner stations are controlled by WB.

That should clear things up.

plovor
11-08-2002, 12:56 AM
Well does anyone know of a site where you can d'load animes?

Ranma Saotome
11-08-2002, 02:16 AM
If we haven't said where, shouldn't that tell you something?

Babbit_Chan
11-08-2002, 10:37 AM
Hehehehe I think Ranma's covered it ^^ I'll suggest animeepisodes.net and kazaa. Kazaa's the best if you've got the connections .-.

plovor
11-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Sorry Ranma Saotome.

Ranma Saotome
11-08-2002, 03:54 PM
No problem. We don't want any piracy and stuff like that here, more or less... *points to Admin* Besides, you'll piss him the big guy there.

plovor
11-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Oh ok.*looks in wallet and moths come out*............

kitty_neko
11-08-2002, 05:18 PM
hm...i downloaded kazaa, but im really confused X.X

what in the name of gami-sama am i supposed 2 type in the username thingy?!?!
(since im so bad a descriptions i attached a screenshot of my confusion @.@)

someone... help....? x.x;http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/rampant_anime/confusion.jpg

Tenjou
11-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Wow, how weird. In one of the boys' cabins, they were doing this activity with their supervisor, and one of them made a super hero called Weirdman, who would say Pikachu.

@_@ random.

plovor
11-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Just type a screen name and it doesn't do anything except for when you are file sharing but i really don't know because i turned my sharing off.hope that helped;)

kitty_neko
11-08-2002, 08:43 PM
i kept trying different things, but it wouldnt accept ANYTHING.
it doesnt matter, i ended up deleting it cuz it was a pain -.-;

plovor
11-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Well that's because those username's have already been chosen and you must pick something really unknown or something, but since you've deleted it, it doesn't matter.

kitty_neko
11-08-2002, 10:16 PM
no, it wouldnt let me chose ANYTHING ANYTHING!!!
i couldnt even use "sowjfosjfgosjfosdjfosj" or something like that X.X

but exactly, all my problems r solved because i deleted them ^-^;;

Babbit_Chan
11-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Plovor: Yeah, what Ranma said - unless they're fansubs, go to Blockbuster =D

Kitty Neko: In the username you just type what you want your username to be ^^;

plovor
11-09-2002, 01:26 AM
Yea but she seems to had trouble with everything she typed so it was probably messed.I know this is stupid but I don't know what a fansub is.........

Babbit_Chan
11-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Not stupid at all, Plovor ^_^ Fansubs are raw episodes of anime that people translate (the scripts anyway), time, and subtitle themselves. People usually buy them on VHS, CD (digisubs), or download/streamload them. I'd suggest checking out anipike.com's fansub link directory.

plovor
11-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Oh ok thanks!

Babbit_Chan
11-09-2002, 01:52 PM
No problem =D

KaineMaxwell
11-09-2002, 03:15 PM
I use Kazaa Lite or WinMX myself for downloads.

plovor
11-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Kazaa Lite? I thought there was only one version..........

Cassandra
11-09-2002, 08:18 PM
kazaa lite doesn't have the spyware or the ads

plovor
11-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Ok.........then what's spyware?

Cassandra
11-09-2002, 08:33 PM
a program that watches everything you do

plovor
11-09-2002, 08:43 PM
................so the ppl at Kazaa watch you?

Cassandra
11-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Usually, spyware sends out information to third parties. Like what websites you're visiting and that kinda stuff. So they can "sell" your email address to vendors to send you stuff.

Babbit_Chan
11-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Mmm yes, I actually stopped using Kazaa because of that and other computer reasons - I'm thinking about getting Imesh or WinMx now...

Koumori
11-09-2002, 11:42 PM
What I usually do is keep Kazaa on my computer for just long enough to download whatever I want, then wipe it with Ad-Aware - which wipes out the spyware programs, which Kazaa won't run without - and reinstall the next time I want to use it.