PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts CPers at Otakon?

Shinji923
11-07-2002, 02:15 AM
Whoa whoa.... whoa..

How many of you lovely people out there will be attending Otakon? Let alone going as a hot Kingdom Hearts character?

Well.. I ask this one.. just so it would be cool to meet other CPers in the country.. but not only that but.. I hear tell KH is not going to be allowed for registered CPing.. due to the fact that it is more Disney based than it is anime based.. which is the biggest crap in the hat I've ever heard..

Comments? Arguements?

Word out..

Dan H.

Kamui Motoaki
11-07-2002, 02:47 AM
???
screw that. . i'm still cosplaying. .hehaehaheah ^_^

Shinji923
11-07-2002, 03:20 AM
*Peers at picture* Say.. you wouldn't happen to know an Abyssinian off of live journal would you?

Dan H.

Nietsche
11-07-2002, 07:59 AM
Sounds to me like a lot of old crock...
I can't see people being turned away simply because they are wearing Kingdom Hearts outfits...perhaps they are preventing them from entering masquerade?

In any case I was planning on registering in a different outfit...Sora was only whenever the KH group appeared....which reminds me has time been set yet?
In fact when i Otakon 2003...the site says nothing at all!!!

Lord Masamune
11-07-2002, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I don't know about that 'not being allowed' crimeny... I'm sure that if there is a restriction placed on it, it's only going to prevent Disney characters from KH from entering. No idea, though... I am considering coming to Otakon next year, and if I do I'll be popping up with my KH Cloud and KH Sephiroth! Hope to see you all there! ^_^

khamryn
11-07-2002, 03:40 PM
>.> Well if the big group I've got organized decides to enter.. well.. I can see them turning away that many people. u.u;

I'm doing it anyway. hehehe... ::joins Will.:: if they have a problem with it they can bite me. :D

Matt- Oooo!! If you come you must find me and we can be duo KH Seph's! yeaaahhh!!! ::has an obsession with mirror poses::

Lord Masamune
11-07-2002, 05:14 PM
LOL, most definitely! I'll just hoard my payroll and see if it's in my budget... hehe. :::keeps his fingers crossed in hope:::

Shinji923
11-07-2002, 05:28 PM
Well see.. the thing is you can wear all the KH costumes you want.. they just said through the grape vine that in the masquerade KH costumes won't be allowed.

Personally.. I was aiming to piss some people off by rebelling.

I smell a Goofy costume!

Dan H.

Lord Masamune
11-07-2002, 05:38 PM
LOL, you soooo should do that!! I'm right behind ya!

Alaria
11-07-2002, 05:41 PM
hey, if someone else does a disney character I'll definetely do a Maleficent then!...where and when is otakon next yr though?

Shinji923
11-07-2002, 05:54 PM
LOL! Maleficent would be sucha hot costume.. hmm.. *Scratches his chin* Now I'm really compelled to do a Disney costume..

Well Otakon has been in Baltimore the past 4 years.. so I can only speculate that it will be in MD again this year. Thank goodness for location! Most of the time it's been in the end of July or in early August.. but that might be subject to change..

So, hopefully that'll help you Alaria-sama! ^-^

*Contemplates* Hmm.. Goofy.. Sora? No no.. hmm.. this is tough..

Dan H.

tamahomegurl
11-07-2002, 05:56 PM
*thinks for a moment* i think i plan on hitting up otakon this coming year because i've never been to any con out of cali....*searches pockets* i think i may gather enough money by that time and hopefully get the time off from work then to attend...

*beams at khamryn* hey!! weren't you gathering people for a huge KH gathering there??! *huggles* You had a huge, huge massive list of all the attendees and what they were going as, ne?? it's on the kingdom hearts gathering for otakon thread!! ^__^

go for it alaria!!! ^___^ *gives thumbs up signal* i don't plan on entering any contests/masquerades but i'm gonna be showing love for disney for sure!! besides sporting sora and kairi, my sis and i will be definitely making an appearance as tinkerbell and peter pan!! ^___-

Alaria
11-07-2002, 07:52 PM
ara, cool! Yaay KH cosplayers! And if Otakon is during the summer than I can most probably go! ::::bounces up and down excitedly::::: Shinji, if u could pull off a goofy, that'd be really great to see.. and tamahomegurl, that's so cute that u and ur sis cosplay together! I took my 10 year old sis with me to AX this year; she was Rikku. Is ur sis younger too?

RX 03
11-07-2002, 07:54 PM
I'm a sora here. I might be doing Halloween town but not shure yet... :)

makio
11-07-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm actually starting work on my KH-Goofy costume for Otakon2003 in January for Khamryn's group...but I've yet to find someone to be Donald. I asked a friend of mine to be him, but he said he'd rather be Jack from Nightmare before Christmas. Go figure... :devil:

tamahomegurl
11-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Alaria
tamahomegurl, that's so cute that u and ur sis cosplay together! I took my 10 year old sis with me to AX this year; she was Rikku. Is ur sis younger too?

*huggles alaria* yay!!! ^__^ I DID THE EXACT SAME THING TOO!!! *huge grin* I brought my sis to Anime expo 2002 too!! (yes!! its funny that you did guess that she is younger than me!!)

your chibi sis is only 10? She must be soooooo KAWAII!!!!!!! ^__^

My sis always crossplays as the guy interest of whichever girl character i cosplay as: sora to kairi; vash to meryl; kyou to torhu; and soon...peter pan to tinkerbell!! ^__^ i guess my sis just likes to be bishies....^^;;

hey!!! i know...both my sister and i and you and your sister can get together at either otakon 03 or ax 03 and take a cosplay "sisters" picture!! ^__^ *giggles* that would be sooooo DARN COOL!!!! what costumes are you and your sister planning to wear for anime expo 03 or otakon 03? let's meet up!! ^___-V

and i must give you A MASSIVE APPLAUSE and super duper credit *bows down to alaria* for producing such a painstakingly beautiful and THE MOST ACCURATE Lulu outfit (plus your gorgeous hair!!) I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! ^___^ wow!!! *whistles* It's rare that i get so "blown away" by a cosplay outfit and these are one of those rare times!! ^___^ YAY FOR ALARIA!!!!! *great big huggle*

and i just wanted to show support and love to all those who are in the process of making disney characters as well!! ^_^ *dances in circles in celebration*

khamryn
11-07-2002, 10:48 PM
::Grins.::

Tamahomegurl- yep..

The more the merrier too! Let's just all masse outside and rebel. Say "Hey, that's not FAIR."

Alaria
11-08-2002, 01:31 AM
:::::huggles tamahomegurl back::: gaahh, I think peeps will kill me if I quote u, so I'll just reference, neh?
Yes, my sis is kawaii, I loves her very much! She wants to perfect her rikku, as well as go as Garnet from FFIX, and mebbe a character from Threads of Fate, Square's kiddie RPG. That's so cute that ur sister does the bishies!! I would LOVE to take sister pics with u, that would be so fun!

khamryn- btw, I think it rox that ur doing a KH sephy!!
And u r soooo, sweet to compliment me so! I know I have a long way to go on my costume to get it just right, but its so encouraging to know u like it. Thank u so much :)

Shinji923
11-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Hmm.. Donald.. *Clenches a fist*

I can't decide! My Cloud costume still need work! And yet.. so compelled to.. gah what should I do? I want to be a BA Cloud so I can make my friend who is doing Sephiroth happy.. and yet.. gah.. Donald would be such a hot costume.. meaning Alaria would be dressed as Maleficent and that would be hot 'cause she pulls out a totally awesome Lulu..

*Rolls around in patterns* Wagh.. COSPlay insanity..

Dan H.

khamryn
11-08-2002, 02:26 AM
>khamryn- btw, I think it rox that ur doing a KH sephy!!
And u r soooo, sweet to compliment me so! I know I have a long way to go on my costume to get it just right, but its so encouraging to know u like it. Thank u so much

Thanks. :D ::Blink:: I complimented you??? My memory is so horrible right now! Which one was it??? ::Feels all bad now.:: ;.; No more sleep depped posting for me. o.o

Shinji923
11-08-2002, 02:27 AM
Wish my family were into anime.. *scowls*

Anyways.. do you have any other pictures of your CPing Alaria? I only got to see a few from the con you went to but they were of the KH Cloud there..

Your sis is doing a Garnet? Word up with the under rated FF series! Garnet was such an awesome character.. it's crap that FF9 didn't gain as much popularity as the others did.. *Shrugs* Hope she strikes a cord with the crowd then!

*Pops some toast into his mouth, sitting down in deep thought* Hmm.. Cloud.. or Donald? Too many costumes! Wagh!

Dan H.

Shinji923
11-08-2002, 02:42 AM
Btw, anyone have any good side pictures of good ol' KH Cloud? I can't for the life of me figure out how his hip armor looks from the side view.. and I don't want to make it suck so.. anyone got anything good?

Dan H.

Alaria
11-08-2002, 02:58 AM
lolol, khamryn, that was meant for tamahomegurl, actually! Somehow my message got messed up! Didn't mean to make u feel bad!!! ::::eeks and bows apologetically::::
Shinji- thank u for the Maleficent compliment (I'm responding to the rt person, neh?) why not do both cloud and donald??
As for pics of me, I only have 2 really, which u've prob seen...I can post them if u'd like, but I'm gonna post more after I'm done with painting my lace :)

As for Cloud's hip armour, its basically those 3 layers of trapezoidal shape sheets with the convex ends... here's a good pic of Cloud; look at the hip armour, and imagine the other side a mirror image of what u see:
http://naimoka2.free.fr/page/nomura/arts/kh/arts/cloud.jpg

Shinji923
11-08-2002, 03:07 AM
-.- If I only knew how to make a Donald costume.. ugh.. *scratches his head* I'm so wanting.. but I lack the talent to do something like that..

This is going to sound so weird but..

Why can't I be a talent girl who can sew and make awesome hot bishii costumes?!

-.- gorf..

Dan H.

Alaria
11-08-2002, 03:19 AM
hmm, u could switch that around and be an bishie who makes awesome girl costumes (j/k)

....anyhoo, for donald, you could either make a full body costume (like u see in Disneyland), or do something like make the clothes pieces and get a full-body suit, and attach feathers or white plush material to the body part and dye/paint the legs as duck legs...the feet u can make covers for ur shoes.....the beak u could prob find or make...or get a donald duck hat from disney store

Shinji923
11-08-2002, 03:23 AM
*Scratches his chin* Yes.. but in order to be a bishie who makes awesome girl costumes.. one would have to be a bishonen.. and that I am not..

Alright.. if I find the wages to support.. and the help I need to construct such a costume.. I will not only do Cloud.. but a kickin' Donald costume.. just for Alaria..

The things I do for ducks..

Dan H.

Alaria
11-08-2002, 03:54 AM
lol, I love the double entendre, Shinji :) I look forward to seeing u pull it off. And there are tons of great people on these boards to help u!

khamryn
11-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Alaria- Oohh. @@ Okay. Eh hehe.. ::Swirlies::

Shinji- You could always adapt Donald to be human and be creative... ^__^ ducks.. hehe.. there are ducks in Suikoden III.... :D ::currently obsessing with S3::

Cassandra
11-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Shinji923

How many of you lovely people out there will be attending Otakon? Let alone going as a hot Kingdom Hearts character?

Well.. I ask this one.. just so it would be cool to meet other CPers in the country.. but not only that but.. I hear tell KH is not going to be allowed for registered CPing.. due to the fact that it is more Disney based than it is anime based.. which is the biggest crap in the hat I've ever heard..

The con chair for Otakon hasn't heard anything about this but he is going to talk to the Masquerade/Cosplay head and see if it's true. It's quite possible that it's just the actual Disney characters that won't be allowed into the actual contest. (Not the hall contest...the only rule for that one is that you have to HAVE a costume.) So like Donald or Goofy wouldn't be allowed but Sora or Kairi would.

Ushicon has no plans for "barring" KH cosplay.

I'll be sure to let you know what I hear when I hear it ;)

Alaria
11-08-2002, 12:12 PM
ororo, no Disney characters? :::pouts::: I hope t'isn't true!

Cassandra
11-08-2002, 01:05 PM
ororo, no Disney characters? ::: pouts::: I hope t'isn't true!

Well, considering it says right on the front page for Otakon:

"Otakon is a convention devoted to east Asian culture, with a particular focus on Japanese animation (anime)."

And Disney can't be called east Asian culture by any means....

Alaria
11-08-2002, 01:20 PM
lol, yes, that's true indeed :) Even if they're trying to be by importing anime films and doing games with Square. Which is ok if they do it well and don't take full credit for the things they bring over...

Chibi-Lisa
11-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by MakioTwist
I'm actually starting work on my KH-Goofy costume for Otakon2003 in January for Khamryn's group...but I've yet to find someone to be Donald. I asked a friend of mine to be him, but he said he'd rather be Jack from Nightmare before Christmas. Go figure... :devil:

SOOOOO yah friend would be attending the Otakon..........???!!!

Shinji923
11-09-2002, 12:50 AM
Hmm.. human like Donald Duck.. so pretty much I'd have to dress up as Gilbert Godfreed?

Hmm.. most entertaining..

Umm.. o.o

What's a entendre?

._. I'm so out there..

*Quack*

Dan H.

RX 03
11-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Thats pretty stupid on there part, but I can see where there comin' from.. I mean think about it. Its an anime con, nota disney con. Riku, Sora and Kiri (?) all came from Square, and square characters are a good percentege of cosplayers. But disney characters weren't created by square or Japan. Wich really dosent work at conventions about things from Japan. Its the same thing with HP cosplayers, it started in britain, then became popular in Japan so people are werening it here. If it was a convention about britain yeah HP, and I guess in Japan ya could cosplay Disney characters.

:thumbsup: Am I making any scense?

khamryn
11-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Shinji- o.O; ::blink:: I mean like.. make the outfit and all.. but don't do the duck part? o.O;;;;;

Kellie
11-09-2002, 12:55 PM
What does it matter whether its Disney or not? Isn't there like..A disney in japan or something? I personally don't think it would be fair to completely ban any disney characters from meeting up with KH cosplayers if they're in a group. I mean, I think it would be ALOT cooler if someone saw the squaresoft characters with the disney characters to almost have an entire full cast from the video game. It shows creativity and doesn't limit people to ONLY cosplaying as square's characters. Because then, the only thing that would most likely happen is that we'd have another "costumes over done" thread about sora, rikku and kairi and so forth. If Otakon does ban these costumes from even coming into the con, then they will lost one patron for a long time, if not forever.

One could EASILY argue with (and to any people who do this, please don't take this offensively, I'm only trying to make a weak point) what about the costumers who do Invader Zim costumes or X-Men or Star Wars and so forth? They're most certainly NOT anime. Unless the Otakon chairs are afraid of Disney sueing them (which I don't think they would since none of the people dressing up as a Disney character are like . . . claiming rights to anything) they shouldn't even bring up the subject. I guess to me it would be discriminating towards some cosplayers. That's how I feel on the subject. And really, I am making my Belle costume whether they like it or not. So there.

Kellie
11-09-2002, 07:42 PM
And another thing I thought of while I was lunching with my mom is: If Disney has THAT much of a problem, then I think they should discontinue selling patterns and costumes of their characters. I see no difference cosplaying a costume to a convention from going around on halloween. Sorry, but as much of a Disney fan I am, I won't side with the complaint of either "Its not anime, so it should not be allowed" or any dealing with copyright complaints and so forth. Because . . . >) I'll make you eat my divine rose keyblade with ketchup *cackle*

Cassandra
11-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Otakon still hasn't made an official decision about this but.....

cherii - if you read my post, they wouldn't be allowed in the CONTEST. They would be allowed in the doors and to participate in the hall contest, where there are no rules (except that you have to wear a costume) Basically, you wouldn't be able to enter the masquerade contest but you could walk around and everything.

Alaria
11-09-2002, 08:43 PM
ara, and I think there will be an overplayed thread for Sora, Kairi, etc, anyways. That's just what happens with the latest Square video game release...

Shinji923
11-10-2002, 01:54 AM
Alaria is right.. and I guess I can add on to the convo saying this..

The reason why I am so upset with this (if they decide it or not) is the fact that they're most likely only doing it for the reason that, it isn't Japanese.

Yeah, how many people have walked through the hallways as American CPs? I know for a fact that I have seen in the past X-Men costumes and Star Wars costumes. Mind you both of these supremely rock (inner loser speaking), but they have no problem with it.

The whole mean thing that the people are missing is, Disney IS anime. We really forget where anime started, and this is probably going to bring up a whole other discussion. Osamu Tezuka (a God of Manga as he is known) got his concepts for Metropolis, one of his first manga, and Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) from watching Max Fleicher and Walt Disney cartoons, as he stated in interviews.

So, good ol' Walt is the inspiration for comics in Japan..

*Tosses his coat over his shoulder*

And that's.. a wrap..

-Star Swipe out-

Dan H.

tamahomegurl
11-10-2002, 03:11 AM
hey alaria aka THE ONE AND ONLY, MOST AWESOME LULU!!! ^__^

*super duper huggles* you don't have to say "thank you" to me for my complete and utter appreciation for your gorgeous work and amazing skills!! *bows down again* YOU ARE SOOOO WORTHY OF THE PRAISE, GIRL!!!! and i can safely say that i am not the only one who is super awed by you!!! ^__^ *grins*

and yup yup!! let's all take a sister piccy!!! i knew your sister must be way kawaii since she has an older sister who is sooooo darn breathstakingly beautiful!!! yay for alaria and alaria's sister!!! and dang..she's doing a princess garnett too??!! wow..you girls are gonna knock the socks off all the guys at ax03!!!! *evil gleam* that would rock!!!

oh!! you mentioned that you knew matt aka the bad ass kh cloud!! matt lives in a neighboring city of mine!!! do you live close to him? if so, we should all go out and hang out one time for fun!! we can chill at little tokyo and go gaga over the final fantasy goodies they have at their stores!!! ^___^

whoopsies...this is turning to be a private message!! gomen!!! x___x;; but i just CANNOT HIDE MY EXCITEMENT!!!!!! *dances all around the place* thanks cosplay.com for allowing me to meet such cool friends who live sooo close to me and are into cosplaying too!!!! ^_____^

and oh khamryn....i knew i recognized you!!! you are rockin!!! ^__-

Cassandra
11-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Shinji923

The reason why I am so upset with this (if they decide it or not) is the fact that they're most likely only doing it for the reason that, it isn't Japanese.

The whole mean thing that the people are missing is, Disney IS anime. We really forget where anime started, and this is probably going to bring up a whole other discussion. Osamu Tezuka (a God of Manga as he is known) got his concepts for Metropolis, one of his first manga, and Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) from watching Max Fleicher and Walt Disney cartoons, as he stated in interviews.

So, good ol' Walt is the inspiration for comics in Japan..

But read my post a few posts up. Otakon ISN'T a "anime" convention. It's a convention on east Asian culture with a focus on Japanese animation. Disney doesn't fit into either of those categories.

Chibi-Lisa
11-10-2002, 11:33 AM
I still wanna know if a Jack is coming..... ^^;;

khamryn
11-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Tamahomegurl- Huh? Wha? ::Blinkblink.:: You recognize me? >.>;;;;

tamahomegurl
11-10-2002, 05:59 PM
hahhah!!! *nods head frantically* you're the infamous one who started the kingdom hearts meet @ otakon thread!!! and...you make a very sugoi Touya outfit!!! *winks* soooo bishi!!!!!! *swoons*

Alaria
11-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Cassandra. u said " Otakon ISN'T a "anime" convention. It's a convention on east Asian culture with a focus on Japanese animation. Disney doesn't fit into either of those categories." I dunno; I've never been to Japan, so I can't correctly comment, but in the past century, Western cultures have had a profound impact on East Asian culture, as well as Japanese animation. Besides Tokyo Disney, I dunno how much effect Disney itself has had, but if Disney's influence is seen in Modern Japanese culture, I could understand the validity of it being there. Culture isn't just the traditions of past centuries, there's also the present, continuously fluctuating part (jus' playing devil's advocate here)

Cassandra
11-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Disney may have had an impact on Japanese animation, but that doesn't MAKE it Japanese animation. As for the impact on the culture, I don't think it had that great of an impact. And just because there happens to be a Tokyo branch of the Disney theme park doesn't make it Japanese either.

Personally, I don't think there should be Star Wars costumes at Otakon either. (There were Jay & Silent Bob costumers at the last Otakon....no clue why those people did that one either...)

And like I said, that just means that those people can't enter into the main contest. Donald or Goofy doesn't deserve to win it anymore than Jay & Silent Bob do.

khamryn
11-10-2002, 07:32 PM
tamahomegurl- o.O;; I didn't know I was well-known. ::Blinkblink: thanks.. *^^*

Alaria
11-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Lol, Jay and Silent Bob??? That's wayyyy too far!!! And Cassandra, as I said, my argument was made from my limited knowledge of modern Japanese culture, which I make to pretenses about :) And though it does make a complete Kingdom Hearts masquerage skit harder, I completely understand why they don't want Disney in the skit. These are American creations, even if appreciated elsewhere.
yahh, I didn't get the Star Wars costumes at last AX....

makio
11-11-2002, 12:21 AM
I was out of town this weekend at Nekocon, but I'll call up my friend to ask if he's still interested in cosplaying Jack. As for myself...Nekocon taught me an important lesson about cosplay & travel luggage:

"Pack Light As Possible".

...thus, if you do decide to be Donald, make sure you've got a way to bring it to Baltimore without it getting mashed up by either Airplane security/baggage handlers or car rides! Oh, and expect me to start chanting "Quack, Quack" in Mighty Ducks style. :thumbsup:

Shinji923
11-11-2002, 12:54 AM
LOL Oh Makio.. How awesome you are.. see.. the beauty of me doing that is this..

I live in Baltimore..

Well not in Baltimore.. at least a good 20 minutes away but you know what I mean!

MD rules! w00t..

Dan H.

Kellie
11-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Cassandra - ^^ Ahh. Okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I honestly read that as not even being able to enter the con. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Chibi-Lisa
11-12-2002, 11:45 AM
::Leaps in excitement:: YAY!!! So there is gonn a be a Jack!!! I won't be alone after all!!!

::Dances around school (cause I'm there)::
::Library nun looks at me like I have two heads::

Hehe!!

tamahomegurl
11-13-2002, 01:31 AM
yay!! chibi-lisa has found her jack!!! *dances with chibi-lisa*

makio
11-13-2002, 01:51 AM
Heh, of course...living nearby helps!

As for the Disney vs Otakon(and other conventions) subject, I feel that I should be able to dress as I please as long as it's not an infraction on the location's apparel laws. I'm not exactly going to show up ass-naked (though it might get me some phone numbers...LOL, j/k)...but at the same time, I'm all for supporting the Kingdom Hearts cosplay. Whether or not we're allowed to compete for the costume/cosplay contest isn't a big deal to me - if I wanted awards, I'll compete for the Olympics. :D

tamahomegurl
11-13-2002, 04:30 PM
true, true, makio!! ^__^

i'm not entering any masquerades with my peter and tink outfits so i'm gonna be sporting them loud and proud, baby!! XD

*glances over at alaria* i hope alaria-sama will be maleficent since she was such a gorgeous and awesome lulu!! *crosses fingers*

Alaria
11-13-2002, 05:19 PM
:::blushes::: I am indeed thinking about it....tanx for ze compliment. Lol, now I need to make my sis be Selphie or Kairi

Chibi-Lisa
11-13-2002, 05:50 PM
WHoa!! I like that avatar better Makio Twist!!
::Thinks:: maybe next month I'll do a Dark Stalker Theme... (I was thinking of making Queen Bee's costume for Otakon... hmmm, maybe)...

Alaria
11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
ara, Queen Bee would be cool to see! :) I've yet to see it done

tamahomegurl
11-14-2002, 12:33 AM
oh alaria!!! your sister will look wayyyyyyyyy cute as either character!!! *imagines alaria's chibi sis as selphie with jump rope* hahahah!! i just hope if she's selphie, she won't hit my sister (who's gonna be sora) on the head with that jump rope!!! XD

Alaria
11-14-2002, 01:54 AM
:::giggles:::: I'll make sure she won't! But my sis has yet to see KH, and ultimately its her choice! She needs to get good grades before my mom gets her the game, lol.

Nietsche
11-14-2002, 08:57 AM
ara, Queen Bee would be cool to see! :) I've yet to see it done

There was one at Otakon 2000 here is a not so good pic from their skit performance (http://www.fansview.com/2000f/ot05e0008.html)

As extra here's someDonovan and JEdah (http://www.fansview.com/2000f/ot05a0011.html) cosplay too from Otakon 2000..bwahahahaha

Chibi-Lisa
11-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Yah, I think I saw pictures from that somewhere else....er, but think I'm maybe, kinda, a little thinner than that.....

SohjiroX
11-15-2002, 06:09 PM
First, *laughs at the thougth that people would ban it* second, look over in the seeking cosplayer thread and there will be a KH there and a list of who is who. all I can say is try and find us and you get pics.

katchoo
11-15-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm just writing to confirm that I'll be cosplaying tink right? Just making a list of costumes to start soon and I want to be sure to include it.

sundancekat
11-16-2002, 01:20 AM
I'm curious....was this rumor that KH was going to be banned at Otakon actually heard from a specific source, or more specifically from someone actually on Otakon staff? Or was it just one of those "I heard it from so and so who heard it from so and so, etc etc" type deals? I would tend not to believe it if it came from such a vague source...

Alaria
11-16-2002, 01:53 AM
It's posted on the Otakon site, I believe...but its specifically no Disney characters in Masquerade

sundancekat
11-16-2002, 02:52 AM
So far all I see is a line in both the Masquerade and Costume Contest Rules which states: "All costumes and skit must pertain in some way to anime, manga, anime-style video game or some facet of Asian culture." I can't find anything that specifically mentions Disney costumes in the rules for either contest. Then again, everything on the website still pertains to the 2002 convention, so it's technically all out of date anyway.

Cassandra
11-16-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm still waiting on the official word from the Otakon staff..

sundancekat
11-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Well, here you go:

Being a collaboration between Squaresoft and Disney, Kingdom Hearts is as much a Japanese-influenced game as it is American. Therefore, on this principle alone, it can not be banned from Otakon's Masquerade.

However, because it is so heavily American, it falls in the giant grey area that the rules create. In order for a skit or cosplay group to be considered eligible, a majority (at least half) of the members of the group must be from an East Asian inspired source. In the case of Kingdom Hearts, this means that at least half the group needs to be from the Japanese side of the game (i.e. Sora, Riku, Kairi). If a group of three brings these three characters on stage, it's eligible. If a group of five brings these three plus Donald and Goofy on stage, it's still eligible. If a pair wants to be Sora and Donald, they're eligible because half the skit is Japanese-based. However, if a pair decides to bring Goofy and Donald on stage, they are not eligible because those two characters are of American origin.

My apologies for being so long-winded, but I'd like to be as clear as I can and try to dispel any rumors before they affect too many people. Unfortunately this isn't the only grey area out there in terms of what is and is not eligible on the cosplay stage. If anybody has further questions or things they would like cleared up, please send me a private message or email and I will do my best to give a good answer.

kat
Otakon 2003 Masquerade Coordinator
full-time cosplayer since Katsu 1999

Chibi-Lisa
11-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Grr..

khamryn
11-20-2002, 11:29 AM
::Wonders when Otakon will be posting its dates::

::Thinks those rules to enter sound fair enough.:: They didn't say you couldn't enter. ^^ The majority just has to be Japanese-influenced rather then American.

yuffieleonheart
11-20-2002, 12:42 PM
i'm new to this website. but i will also be doing kh cosplaying for otakon 2003 and some other cons^_^ i'm gonna be yuffie

Doc Stampede
11-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Poor Kat.. ;) *runs for his life*

also, since someone asked about when Otakon will be announcing their dates...

*cough* Ahem...

Otakon will be announcing the moment we can.

As a rule, Otakon doesn't announce their dates until the contracts are fully signed and in our hands. At this point in time we're very close to announcing, we're just waiting for one last step.

We will be annoucing both the dates, some hotel blocks, and possibly more at the same time, so please stay tuned to our Website, or to our member's mailing list.

Our website is in the middle of being modified, but new and relevant information will always be posted there.

If you have any questions that pertain specifically to Otakon that isn't Masquerade related, please email info@otakon.com - or you can PM me and I will try and direct you. :)

Doc (Otakon Staff / BoD member)

Chibi-Lisa
11-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Yay!! At least, I'm not the only one who wants the dates to come....er, well take yah time I guess, I just want the dates before all the rooms are booked o_O;

khamryn
11-21-2002, 01:07 AM
>.> Thank you for telling me that at least! That means I probably will be able to attend. :) You guys shoulda updated and said "Yes we still live don't worry" ::Grin::

Kurenai
11-21-2002, 11:13 PM
I can't wait to be Ariel...I've always wanted to dress up as her ^_^ Thanks for organizing this Khamryn!

khamryn
11-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Kurenai- Np... ^_^ Didn't expect a group this big though, I have to say. ::Laugh.:: But that's okay. :D