PDA

View Full Version : Dark Grey Pleather... is there such thing?

Nine
11-07-2002, 02:50 AM
I've been looking for the right fabric to use for my 2nd Lulu costume, but I'm having difficult times finding it. I'm looking for a dark grey pleather (fake leather) type fabric. Is there such thing?

Also, are there any reliable places over the internet where I can buy this fabric? The fabric I used for my Lulu costume was this really weird double sided "100% unknown fiber" stuff. I used the dark side lol... it shines really nice in pictures, but unfortunately it doesn't have the fake leather look to it that I want.

Also, are there any alternatives to pleather that look the same? ^^; Thank you so much!

ReiChan
11-07-2002, 03:07 AM
I used upholstery fabric for mine. It was kind of rubbery, not too sure what it was made of, but it had the right weight and texture I was looking for, and it did come in dark gray. The only disadvantage is the underside is white. Also, it can be a little hard to work with, but the dress came out fine.

Alaria
11-07-2002, 03:31 AM
I got my dark grey pleather from F&S Fabrics, but it only is in West LA. Its a really good quality material, with dark grey lining, and its light and flexible so it won't weigh u down....if u don't find anything else, I could order it for u and have it shipped to u

Nine
11-07-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Alaria
I got my dark grey pleather from F&S Fabrics, but it only is in West LA. Its a really good quality material, with dark grey lining, and its light and flexible so it won't weigh u down....if u don't find anything else, I could order it for u and have it shipped to u

Cool! That would be cool! If I can't find anything around here, it's good that I'll beable to resort to something ^^v thank you so much!

TyJILDown
11-07-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm gonna look around for ya hun, shipoing it up to you in Canada would be costly sinc eyou would need like 4 yards I'm assuming. I got mine for $8.99 a yard at Fabric Mill near me.

If I find a site I'll let you know!

Rosiel
11-07-2002, 04:19 PM
They have some in the outerwear section of G Street Fabrics... for about $10-11 a yard if I recall correctly.

Lord Masamune
11-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Wow, that's alot of Lulu avatars... *_* Hehe

Alaria
11-07-2002, 06:46 PM
u got a prob with lulu avatars?? ::::arcs eyebrow:::: u dun want me to use my moogle doll on u...

Keurblitz
11-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by TyJILDown
I'm gonna look around for ya hun, shipoing it up to you in Canada would be costly sinc eyou would need like 4 yards I'm assuming. I got mine for $8.99 a yard at Fabric Mill near me.

If I find a site I'll let you know!

JIL you gotta tell me where Fabric Mill is! It's a bitch to find a fabric shop here in Valley Stream -_-
*sigh*

Nine
11-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks TyJILDown! :D
Actually, the main part of my costume used 5.5 meters of fabric, so I'd probably want like 5.5 meters or so for this one (to be safe.. also it will be good to have some left over.. and even though it will be smaller... I'd still want to be safe lol) ^^;

The main fabric stores we have here are fabricland, fanny's fabrics. There are a lot of independent East Indian run and owned fabric stores, they have a lot of nice fabric there, but no pleather :( There's also Walmart's ever so small and expensive section.. Fabricland and Fanny's Fabric occasionally has pleather, but its normally very expensive. There is this store called fabricana, and the prices are so ridiculous, but they have so much fabric, it's scary! XD

TyJILDown
11-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Keurblitz
JIL you gotta tell me where Fabric Mill is! It's a bitch to find a fabric shop here in Valley Stream -_-
*sigh*

Tell me about it. this town is horrid! After Fabric Bonanza closed down it SUCKED...that used to be right on Sunrise Highway!! *sniff*

Anyways, Fabric Mill is located not far off Old Country Road around by the Roosevelt Field/Source Mall area. A nice drive through Garden City ^^ Here's the info so you can look it up yourself:

FABRIC MILL
168 Glen Cove Rd
Carle Place, NY 11514
(516) 248-8799

There's also a Joann's on Old Country road about 10 minutes from fabric Mill:

Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts
Salisbury Plaza
580 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590
(516) 333-7961

I bet you'll find what you neeed between the two!

Mei Lan Chang
11-07-2002, 11:19 PM
My goodness, look at all the Lulu avatars! ^___^

Alaria
11-08-2002, 12:21 AM
lol, lol, its a grey pleather section! who else but lulu? :) anyhoo....nine, just let us know, neh? if u can't find anything in ur area, I guess check the more local stuff first, (ie NY, etc) and if not, I'll get ya the fabric :)
...I though Jo Ann's discontinued pleather? Or mebbe just here, #$%^.... =P