PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate in skits

Nerve-chan
01-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm trying to write a script, but I don't want it to be one of those "GOD!-kill me-now" type of skits. What should I look out for so my first skit doesn't make the people in the audience commit sucide?

Koumori
01-23-2004, 07:41 PM
-Going too long. Don't do a second verse of your song, don't do another set of kata, don't dance to an entire song. Once we've seen your costume and see what you're doing, we get it.

-Crossover skits (you want to dress like Yuna, your cousin wants to dress like Hikaru, and your boyfriend wants to dress like Kenshin) are REALLY hard to pull off successfully.

-Going wildly out of character, unless done briefly and for comic effect, usually just makes it look like you don't know the character.

-In-jokes. Don't assume everyone in the audience is intimately familiar with all 9000 episodes of Dragonball. In fact, assume that nobody in the audience knows your source material, and make your skit something that can be appreciated even if you don't know what you're looking at. (The amazing Angel Sanctuary skit at A-Kon last year did this with a spoken introduction, as did a Key the Metal Idol cosplayer at a general sci-fi con I attended a few years ago; I still remember her though I haven't seen a single episode.)

-No, really. WE GET IT.

Sarcasm-hime
01-23-2004, 09:54 PM
For Gord's sake, do not:

- sing. Please, please. don't sing. You need rehearsals and sound checks and stuff like that for it to sound decent, even if you do have a mic. If you don't have a mic, nobody will hear you. Either way, it's death.

- do a martial arts fight scene. Unless you and your opponent are actual martial artists and have rehearsed a million times over, you'll just look like two dorks who think they're Keanu Reeves. I have witnessed this, and it's not pretty.

- dancing only works if, again, you have choreographed it and practiced a million times. Do not just get up on stage and dance, as you'll just look pathetic.

- if you don't have access to a mic on stage, pre-record your dialogue and lip-synch to it. If you try to speak without amplification, only the first 3 rows will hear you at all.

- finally, if you can't come up with a really good skit idea, DON'T DO ONE! Don't just throw together something at the last minute and expect it to work, as 9 times out of 10 it will suck. If you're at a loss, you can always just do a cool walk-on with appropriate music. Walk on in character, perhaps have the MC do a voice-over intro, or a pre-recorded intro, strike a few poses and leave. That is much better than hanging around onstage and boring the audience.

DeadLegato
01-23-2004, 10:20 PM
I personally hate large "cross-over" cosplay skits with about what seems like a hundred unrelated cosplayers... because they're usually not funny, and they end up getting awards no matter how bad the costumes/skits are, simply due to the sheer quantity they produce.

And I'll agree with saracasm-hime. If you can't think of a skit or if you're going it alone, it's best to just walk out and get it over with. After all, if the judges get bored... they'll start seeing all the little problems with the costume they might have otherwise missed.

The Lord XL
01-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Don't try to use up all your time. If the time limit is 3 mins don't try to extend your skit to the aloted time, it will make you look like you trying to "Drag-on" the sceen, and that is kinda "BallZ" (inside joke from otakon) it also makes you look like you forgot you lines.

Have fun with it! don't try to have the funniest skit, some judges I know look for people who are having fun more opposed to how well done their skit is.

LandersBard
01-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Don't do celtic dance if you havn't had the training. (I dunno if anyone has ever put that in a skit at a -con-, but I've seen people do it for -other- things, and it makes me want to die...especially when they call it "riverdance" *bangs head on desk*)

^_^

Koumori
01-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Also:

-There is NO RULE that says skits have to be funny. I see so many skits that are horrible because they're trying so hard to be funny, and just coming off as "funny." The most memorable skits I've seen have been serious ones.

-If you can't come up with a skit idea, don't stand on stage for 2 minutes talking about how you couldn't come up with a skit idea. This is not very interesting to watch. Which brings me to:

-There is NOTHING wrong with walk-ons. If you're straining yourself to come up with an idea, or something "funny"... just do a walk-on and show off your costume.

-If you are doing a walk-on, take enough time to pose a few times in the middle of the stage; don't just bolt on and bolt off so fast that no one gets a chance to see your costume.

Hikaru Tsuki
01-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Never do a reality show parody. X_X They've been done to death and are not very original at all. I cringe anytime I see one. ><

Ali
01-24-2004, 11:55 AM
As much as I love theatre and speaking lines and things, most of the time, you won't be heard. Pre-record anything you can and rehearse to that.

Physical comedy will always go over better than jokes. It might be lower brow, but it's easiest to laugh at.

Have fun. The audience can always tell who's up there to have a good time and who's there just to win.

Walkons are some of my favorite aspects of the masquerade. A good skit is insanely difficult to pull together, and only a small handful usually succeed. Walkons are great. If you're prone to stage fright or just can't throw something together, this is always an option.

Watch a masquerade before participating... It's nice to know what's being done and what you react to. Some really good ideas just don't translate to the masq.

Kaze
01-24-2004, 12:19 PM
-Don't do inside jokes that have to be explained...please
-Don't spend all day singing one song. It doesn't hurt to chop it down to like a chorus and two versus or something like that.

Scortia
01-24-2004, 12:24 PM
A lot of pointless dialog and storyline. Skits without any direction... not funny or serious, just there. Horrible acting.... inside jokes.... 98% of crossovers....pointless yaoi thrown in for desperation but not even canon to the series....which I'm partially guilty of (but it wasn't put in for lack of content otherwise ^.^;;).. and singing.

chrisscrewball
01-24-2004, 04:16 PM
For Gord's sake, do not:
dancing only works if, again, you have choreographed it and practiced a million times. Do not just get up on stage and dance, as you'll just look pathetic.
Incredibly good point. I've done two dance skits at different cons, and won an award each time. I choroegraphed the dances forever, and practiced for hours. I couldn only imagine how bad I would have looked without an insane amount of practicing. Hopefully the one at Katsucon will go well......

moo
01-25-2004, 03:33 AM
This is con-specific, although if other cons are afflicted with this, please rethink your skit! ACen's masquerade had an excess of Pocky-related skits that were not funny nor even mildly amusing, in my opinion. There were groans from folks in the audience, and after the 10th Pocky skit, I walked out.

Come on, be creative, put on a skit about Fran! < /sarcasm> XD

AniMajor
01-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Don't go over the time limit.
Don't make such a massive group that it takes more than 30 seconds to get on stage and situated. Expecially if your skit is short.
If you think something might not go over well with the con staff, it probably won't. Don't do something stupid or harmful.
And don't do a skit that could be detrimental to your costume.

positivespace
01-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm not too big on blatant fan-service... ie: "stripping" skits, girls kissing girls dressed as characters that don't do that in the series, obvious panty flashes, etc. Of course, you'll probably hear the male population of the board cry foul at these, but remember that conventions are family events and if you're doing something that you wouldn't want your parents knowing you did on stage it's probably a good idea NOT to do it. There are better ways to entertain an audience.

Of course most, if not all of those ideas, are thrown out the window for blatant everything when you're at Yaoi-Con... but that's a whole 'nother ballgame. ;D

Sweet~Pea
01-25-2004, 04:34 PM
"Koumori -Going too long. Don't do a second verse of your song, don't do another set of kata, don't dance to an entire song. Once we've seen your costume and see what you're doing, we get it."

I second this^
Nothings worst than a unpracticed, long as hell skit. *snore* :snoring:
Cheers
-Christa

Nadeshiko
01-25-2004, 08:21 PM
- Injokes...please no injokes..

- For larger con venues, please record your lines on a cd. For the past few ACens, I'd be in the back row and I could barely hear what the hell is going on stage.

- Please, unless you're a kickass writer, don't plan your masq skit 20 min before masq registration. Very few cases have executed this succesfuly.

- I also don't like skits were there's narration at the beginning and there's no one on stage. Like there will be a voice over intro to the skit. We get it already! Let's see some cosplay action!

Moo: There was a pocky vs fran skit the year before you went. It went quite well! ^^ But I hear ya about the pocky flavour being overdone at ACen.

zoinomiko
01-25-2004, 09:33 PM
The following things have been done to death:
1. Fanboy hygiene. Yeah, they smell. It's not funny anymore.
2. Chii "Pantsu" skits.

In addition, anything that's an obvious attempt to show off your knowledge of Japanese culture is not impressive. You will not fool anyone. On a similar note, never, ever do your skit in Japanese.

Ali
01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
On a similar note, never, ever do your skit in Japanese.

Amen to that!!

Nerve-chan
01-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but do you think any of you want to read over my skit? ^^;;;;

PorcelainSakura
01-26-2004, 05:59 PM

What about with lip syncing a song?
Do people react better to english versions over the original japanese?

lainey
01-26-2004, 07:28 PM
^we did that (see pics of skit on website) but there was humour and we got a wonderful response to it, people loved it

ZiggyB
01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
If you are going to lip sync to a song, you probably don't want to do the entire song. I've seen a couple of skits in which a person or a group lip synced to the entire song for their skit. Even if the song is *fantastic* it gets a little tiring after a while. You're better off doing something like that at the convention's karaoke. A skit isn't a music video, it's a skit. :)

Like what others have said previously, if you're thinking of just lip syncing to a song, instead use the song as your walk-on skit music.

HikaruMiazaki
01-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Too many people on stage can become hectic. Only have a lot of people on stage if you've planned out your skit. Otherwise it's just 17 people running around not knowing what they're doing.

Koumori
01-27-2004, 06:35 AM
I will second that: please, please, please do not lipsync to a whole song. Pick a verse and a chorus, and then stop. See my initial post about going too long: we get it already.

Gren
01-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I say, do the english versions of songs.

If you do it in English, everybody understands. If you do it in Japanese, only those who know the series, the song, and the lyrics are going to have a clue what you're singing about.

Either you can have a few purists mad that you didn't use the "better" Japanese version, or you can have the vast majority of the audience just wishing you would stop making noise and get on with it.

Nerve-chan
01-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Hehee, don't worry guys, I don 't plan on dreaming about singing at a con. I'd throw up, I was so nervous (it's happened before ^^;;)

Silly_Kitsune
01-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Do not refer to the chair. Its over, let it die.

Maybe this is just an Otakon thing though :)

Miaka No Baka
01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
i'd also have to say using too much time. Like say the con says you have 3 mins max for a time limit. you don't HAVE to use all 3 mins. The shorter the better especially if it's aparent in your skit you're just stalling to use as much time as you can on stage -_-; I also think that if you're gonna use a non anime related theme say something like harry potter but use anime characters instead, definately make sure that the characters can work in the skit. Also don't have too many ppl on stage at once because it's just massively hard on your part to move around effectively with that. Most cons say no more than 8 on stage or something to that extent, even if you do practice really well and what not it's gonna be guaranteed to still mess up due to murphy's law ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

makio
01-29-2004, 05:58 AM
No more Yatta. 'nuff said. >_>

Chanté
01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Do not refer to the chair. Its over, let it die.

Maybe this is just an Otakon thing though :)
No, it's also an Anime Expo thing, and I agree ^_^ [though they didn't mention it last year, I don't think... I may be wrong, I was kinda dazed in the masquerade room because I was nervous waiting for my turn ^^;]

ShatteredSunset
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Chair... thing? Oh, and I have a question. Does anyong ever do skits with a song in the background while something is acted out with guestures, not words? I'm not a drama-expert, there's probably a word for what I'm talking about.

HikaruMiazaki
01-30-2004, 07:56 PM
X_X My friend started the whole chair thing omg! I always tease her about it now about her legion of Chair Shouters will plague the Masq. It originated at Otakon when at one con someone accidently left a chair on stage and my friend started to shout out "Chair!" to remind them it was out there, then everyone started to do it and it rolled down hill from there. How did it get to Anime Expo? @_@ woa

Ambrosia
01-30-2004, 08:52 PM
X_X My friend started the whole chair thing omg! I always tease her about it now about her legion of Chair Shouters will plague the Masq. It originated at Otakon when at one con someone accidently left a chair on stage and my friend started to shout out "Chair!" to remind them it was out there, then everyone started to do it and it rolled down hill from there. How did it get to Anime Expo? @_@ woa
Really? I always wondered about that whole joke, and everyone I asked was kinda stumped too. At least I *kinda* get it now... but what they did with the chair last year after the Otakon masquerade seemed a bit overboard, even though the emcee was basically trying to kill time. :/

katrinastrife
01-30-2004, 10:26 PM
No more Yatta. 'nuff said. >_>

HEY! It wasn't that bad.... Was it? ;_;'' (Don't worry, he'll never do it again, anyway... >,<)

I third that! As a matter of fact, don't use any Japanese words. I mean, seriously, you could just say "stupid" instead of baka... (Something that I notice at cons... usage of random Japanese. GAH >,<)

Sorry about that. Anyway, yeah. Keep it short and sweet. If all else fails, do a walk on. And, if you have a script, by all means, post it, or PM it! We'd be happy to read it. :)

Miaka No Baka
01-31-2004, 03:12 AM
Chair... thing? Oh, and I have a question. Does anyong ever do skits with a song in the background while something is acted out with guestures, not words? I'm not a drama-expert, there's probably a word for what I'm talking about.

I'd guess it'd be called interpretive dance. It is hit or miss if it goes over well the best thing to remember is keep it short if you do that, people will be like "ok we get it" after the first 30 seconds or so, unless you're doing something amazing which can keep the audience which is hard to do.

Miaka no Baka

ShatteredSunset
01-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Understood with the keep it short bit. ^^ If I ever do a skit of that sort, it wn' go over thirty seconds tops.

HikaruMiazaki
01-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Really? I always wondered about that whole joke, and everyone I asked was kinda stumped too. At least I *kinda* get it now... but what they did with the chair last year after the Otakon masquerade seemed a bit overboard, even though the emcee was basically trying to kill time. :/

Yeah it got way out of hand o_O I have no idea if anyone else realized my friend was just trying to inform the masquraders or not but O_O; it spread like wildfire and people do it every year @_@ weird. I wonder if everyone will do "Love and Peace!" now because of last year? :thumbsup:

cutekawaii
01-31-2004, 01:11 PM
The amazing Angel Sanctuary skit at A-Kon last year did this with a spoken introductionOh thank you XD. But yes, an intro is rather important - set up what's going on, and any backstory people might need to know.

it will make you look like you trying to "Drag-on" the sceen, and that is kinda "BallZ" Haha, that part was great.

Don't spend too much time just standing around talking. Things need to be happening.

If you record your stuff, make sure it's understandable. Nothing worse than a grainy, unintelligable feed.

~Nikki

Masako
01-31-2004, 10:48 PM
In addition, anything that's an obvious attempt to show off your knowledge of Japanese culture is not impressive. You will not fool anyone. On a similar note, never, ever do your skit in Japanese.

AMEN to that.

Well unless you speak really fluent Japanese or can speak it enough to sound Japanese or are Japanese.

Zephyrs
01-31-2004, 11:13 PM
But even then... man I'd sure like to know what's going on in a skit, and it being in a language I'm fluent in helps a bunch!

I've only been to one masquerade, so the main thing I disliked was how looooooong skits went on for! I mean, most of the time they start late in the first place (like everything else at cons) so no need to make the audience be stuck there longer!

Gren
02-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't care how fluent you are in Japanese. If you go to a con, in Japan, speak all the Japanese you want. But no one is going to think how clever you are for spewing out lines and lines of what is gibberish to them. Your audience speaks english. Skits don't have subtitiles. Speak english.

I promise the language isn't that horrible.

My one exception to this is that I cackle when people use engrish to shout out short clips and phrases.

tydawgsd
02-02-2004, 02:06 AM
I agree. Don't do the skit in Japanese. A bunch of my friends and I actually study and speak Japanese but we would never use it in a skit. Just because anime comes from Japan doesn't mean everyone who likes it speaks Japanese. Do it in English- than everyone will understand.

I also second the martial artist thing. I have choeregraphed several fights for skits (in-class) and movies some friends and I made when we got bored. Fights with people with no or little training just don't work. They look cheesy and fake. If you are gonna do a skit with martial arts, use martial artists in it- it looks better and wont appear to be cheesy. And don't be afraid to actually hit each other. I don't mean unload on each other and full power, I mean actually connecting with your partners/opponents. Unless contact is actually made fight sequence, it will never look right.

Gren
02-02-2004, 02:40 PM
On the martial arts tangent, a single person on the stage going through their martial arts forms is not interesting to watch.

At all.

Ever.

Ali
02-02-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm gonna have to agree entirely with that.

Koumori
02-02-2004, 08:11 PM
On the martial arts tangent, a single person on the stage going through their martial arts forms is not interesting to watch.

At all.

Ever.

Is everyone listening to this woman? EVERYONE?

Eccoglyph
02-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Heh - its funny. If I had read this thread prior to ever performing a skit, I don't think I would have ever made it onto the stage. Don't use up all of the time (with setup, our last skit ran over), don't use the whole song (a skit based entirely on Devil Went Down to Georgia), no crossovers (uh oh for the next skit!), etc etc. I have to agree with some of the comments, but there are plenty of exceptions where awesome skits were performed with some of these taboo arts. Masqs evolve with time, so acts which would have brought down the house one year may be considered overplayed and tired the next. The con scene is more fickle than fashion, it seems. That's what keeps it fresh and new every year. This thread is definitely worth reading and keeping in mind, but don't think everything mentioned here is forbidden. You won't have fun if you try to please everyone.

Ambrosia
02-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Heh - its funny. If I had read this thread prior to ever performing a skit, I don't think I would have ever made it onto the stage. Don't use up all of the time (with setup, our last skit ran over), don't use the whole song (a skit based entirely on Devil Went Down to Georgia), no crossovers (uh oh for the next skit!), etc etc. I have to agree with some of the comments, but there are plenty of exceptions where awesome skits were performed with some of these taboo arts. Masqs evolve with time, so acts which would have brought down the house one year may be considered overplayed and tired the next. The con scene is more fickle than fashion, it seems. That's what keeps it fresh and new every year. This thread is definitely worth reading and keeping in mind, but don't think everything mentioned here is forbidden. You won't have fun if you try to please everyone.
Well said, Lucy :)

P.S. Good luck to you guys on your next performance!

ladysubaru25
02-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Hmmm... crossovers.
Could be horrendous, or they could work really well. Personally, my one friend and her fiancee just came up with an idea for a crossover skit that would work so well its scary... now we just need to *WRITE* the dang thing.

I'm curious- what are all of your opinions on skits that are based on movie parodies? (anime characters in roles of movie characters.) I've seen some good ones, and some that should have never made it on to the stage.

When I was asked to do a ".hack//RELOADED" skit a while ago, I flat out said "hellz no!" because Matrix stuff is just done to overkill.

Although it *would* have worked with that particular anime series...

Gren
02-04-2004, 12:51 AM
I don't have a problem with crossovers as long as there is SOMETHING they have in common. If you want to have a hoarde of ninjas, go for it. If you want to do some pun if three completely unrelated characters met up, then no. I always thought it would be fun if I ever got around to doing my Hexidecimal costume to crossover with a group of Hack.// (or whatever it's supposed to be... Don't eat my brains. I just never got too into the series) or the like. Crossovers with an actual reason to cross over.

Sarcasm-hime
02-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Agreed. Most of these "dont's" are warnings, not hard-and-fast rules. Basically we've seen enough masquerades to know what usually doesn't work and what usually does work. Of course there are exceptions, but you really need to have a solid idea and know what you're doing to pull off the more difficult concepts. I myself have done a crossover, but as Gren said above it involved two characters that had something in common...and was very well received. I've just seen so many nonsensical crossovers that I like to advise people to seriously consider what they're doing rather than just jump onstage with random characters. -.-;;

Eccoglyph
02-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Well said, Lucy :)

P.S. Good luck to you guys on your next performance!

Thanks, Krys! Will you be attending Katsucon?

And I like the idea of anime characters as movie characters - sometimes the fit is too perfect to pass up. But there's always the danger of trying to drag out the joke. The initial comparison will get a good laugh, but it will quickly dissipate into "ok, we get it already..." unless there's more substance to the skit. And then there's the chance that the audience won't get it. We brainstorm all these gags and references for months, but we sometimes fail to realize that the audience has to follow it all in 2 minutes. Miss hearing a key line in the mix and you're lost. The upside, of course, is rewatching skits and noticing some veiled joke or gesture. Like easter eggs on a DVD. :-) My point - a crossover can be a good idea, but there's much potential for it to go wrong. But that's true of skits in general. Most are based on good ideas but its in the execution that a skit becomes distinctive.

Ambrosia
02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Krys! Will you be attending Katsucon?
Probably not... my budget is a bit stinky :/ But the group will be back at Otakon this year, that I'm sure of! Kitty's busy writing the skit and getting things in order, so she's the one to talk to about that ^^

A DDR LeGend
02-05-2004, 01:32 PM
well, i'm a newbie to this all, but I've learned the hard way about keeping it short. And i also wonder how long my comedy routine will work. Because the audience usually laughs / gets a kick out of my cosplays in the first place. But basically I get on stage and try to tell a few jokes, 2 or 3. I have experimented with longer, but unless you've got something that you know is going to be a gutbusting joke, i wouldn't bank on it.

Another little trick is that i try to bring a little bit of local flavor into each con. For example, if someone makes a comment, or there is an inside joke going on that's local, i use that as well.

but again i'm a newbie ;)

Akiko Ki
02-05-2004, 08:07 PM
humm now that I heard all this mabe I will re think my crossover skit all though it is only one char that is and every I talk to seems to like my skit the way it is

dark enigma
02-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering if anyone will be doing an Angelic layer skit...i might be interested...*chose my character already, too ^^*

Akiko Ki
02-06-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm wondering if anyone will be doing an Angelic layer skit...i might be interested...*chose my character already, too ^^*

Oh poopy lol I was going to but we put that one of till next year ::sighs:: Well that stinks lol. I love that series but we could not get enought people to help us so we put it off till next year at Otakon but choose another one.

ladysubaru25
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
humm now that I heard all this mabe I will re think my crossover skit all though it is only one char that is and every I talk to seems to like my skit the way it is

Well, Akiko, as we've kind of decided on, crossovers CAN be good if done well. I'm sure your skit is one of those that is done well. Hope to see you pull it off at Otakon in '05!!

Angelic Layer is probably my second fav. CLAMP series (next to, of course, CHOBITS!) I'd love to see a A.L. skit. I've even thought about cosplaying as Hikaru. (I wouldn't even need a wig- I'd just style my own hair and use some Manic Panic dye on it...) But, unfortunately, I don't think I have the figure to pull off the red bodysuit. :(

Wow- Reading PA! No way- I'm from Allentown. Just a bit further east down good old rte 22!! It's a small, small world...

dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn
02-07-2004, 02:58 AM
THANK YOU ALL. I decided to do a walk-on before... Now I'm sure to do it. I can only come up with good comedy and one-liners on the fly, so it would be a no-go... I do play the guitar and bass guitar, but I don't think I would have the guts to go through with it (I wanted to do a guitaer duet of the FFX shop theme). I wouldnt have gone through with it, anyways...

And what would I say not to do? Never inject political satire into it. You have a good chance of upsetting people. I've heard about this... Also, feel free to insult yourself. Self degradation is ususally funny. Just ask the editors of MAD.

sailorpsychosis
02-07-2004, 12:49 PM
As a matter of fact, don't use any Japanese words. I mean, seriously, you could just say "stupid" instead of baka... (Something that I notice at cons... usage of random Japanese. GAH >,<)

Amen.
Ugh. It's a huge problem in fanfiction too...

So, from what I've read, I take it that doing an adapted version of one of the FLCL dramas probably wouldn't work, since it would require too much explanation, methinks...

How about doing a slightly upgraded version of a walk-on? Let's say you pre-record yourself singing an English version of a very short (2-verse) song, and lip sync while doing a walk-on with a some posing/dancing? The song would only last the time it takes to walk across the stage...
Is this too much?

Koumori
02-07-2004, 01:34 PM
How about doing a slightly upgraded version of a walk-on? Let's say you pre-record yourself singing an English version of a very short (2-verse) song, and lip sync while doing a walk-on with a some posing/dancing? The song would only last the time it takes to walk across the stage...
Is this too much?

Sounds fine to me. My main issue with songs is that too many people think they have to do the WHOLE song (or they just like the song, so they WANT to) and just stand there for four minutes waving their arms around and lip-syncing. This is not interesting unless you are Britney Spears, and to be honest, not really even then. Doing a short, lip-synced walk-on avoids that.

Gren
02-08-2004, 10:11 PM
I just thought of this one. Illegible signs. I HATE illegible signs!

If you're going to use signs, make them with lines at least and inch thick, in clear, block print. If you care going to be performong a skit for a vaery very large auditorium of people, just use one or two word signs, where the entire peice of posterboard is used.

I haaaate when someone puts a whole bloody sentance written in point sharpie on a peice of posterboard, makes it a major part of their skit, and then leaves the whooole audience tojust squint pathetically at the damn thing. Make it legible or do without.

CapsuleCorp
02-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Thought of something...goes along the lines of not lip-syncing an entire song...

Don't do an entire para para routine. Especially if you're not sure what percentage of the audience even knows what para para is (I barely do, I admit I'm a newbie in anime-con-culture). Some poor Sakura cosplayer dared to do it at DragonCon and got escorted off the stage after two minutes by the stormtroopers (their version of the "gong").

katrinastrife
02-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Some poor Sakura cosplayer dared to do it at DragonCon and got escorted off the stage after two minutes by the stormtroopers (their version of the "gong").

Yikes... o_O;; That's a good deterrent to random skits for DragonCon, anyway...

Hmm... On the topic of Lip synching. What do you guys think? I know that I could probably not-pull-off singing on stage for a cosplay contest (alone, anyway), but do you think it'd be better to try to sing than to lip-synch at all? I've always thought of lip-synching as a cop-out, but thinking about it recently has made me wonder if maybe it's better to pretend to sing and have people know you're not really singing, than to try to sing and make people's ears bleed...

Okay, revised question: Singing in skits- yay? or nay?

Ali
02-11-2004, 12:32 AM
If you insist on using your real voice (understandible for parodies or something), try to get a recording. Do not do live singing. No one will be able to hear you, and there's such a big chance something could go wrong.

If you'd like to do a song, go to the Karaoke contest. Most cons would make you do this anyway, I think... not sure.

Chosuke
02-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Skit's in Japanese:
I would usually agree with this, except I've happened to see two very well done skits in Japanese <by the same girls>But the differences between these girls and the majority of those who would plan on doing the entire thing in Japanese:

They obviously practiced, and knew their stuff.And even if you DON'T understand Japanese they used plenty of emotion and actions and were lively and spirited enough to get the point across to a blind deaf man, who also cannot speak Japanese.

If you're going to go up there and do a monologue in Japanese, might as well not go at all. Simply speaking isn't enough for the use of a second language to be impressive.

It was also impressing that both times they had problems with audio: Pre-recorded dialogue specifically, I think their tapes weren't working. But they were SO GOOD that they could still do it, without mics and project to the VERY BACK of the huge convention hall/theatre.

Best skit I saw.

-------------------------------------------

As for skits that drag on: NO.
There was a skit at CN this year that was SO LONG and SO DRAWN OUT the audience got uncomfortable enough to stop watching entirely, and beginning to talk amongst themselves. Not to mention it was a dance skit, and a badly done one.

I wanted to gouge my eyes out.

Koumori
02-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Okay, revised question: Singing in skits- yay? or nay?

Nay, for the reasons Sarcasm-hime already cited.

Hikaruchan
02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Don't do an entire para para routine. Especially if you're not sure what percentage of the audience even knows what para para is (I barely do, I admit I'm a newbie in anime-con-culture). Some poor Sakura cosplayer dared to do it at DragonCon and got escorted off the stage after two minutes by the stormtroopers (their version of the "gong").

I even got a pic from the screen backstage of that
http://www.icosplay.com/dc2k3/dc2k3p4.html near bottom.
When you are escorted offstage by armed stormtroopers, your music skit was too long

Kokuu
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
The Yatta! Dance. It's a fun and silly dance (heck, my friends and I did it with some kids from a school in Japan while we were in touring in Europe) but I think it's becoming a little overdone in masquerades. I want to see something original, not re-used.

Gren
02-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Chobrat- The skit may have been good. But would it have been -better- if you were able to understand the actual dialogue and not just the emoptions and general situation?

Chosuke
02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Actually, I think doing it in Japanese made it alot cuter, and more impressive.
the costumes and girls suited it really well, and were energetic and convincing enough to pull it off.

It was definitely a crowd favorite.

ayn*chan
02-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Three things I don't like to see in skits:

(1) Singing of an entire song, especially solo. Skits are skits and singing at a con is karaoke. And most cons have karaoke contests. ^_^ I go to those when I want to see people sing. ^_^

(2) Monolouges ~ Meh....they just usually bore me. The stand-up comedy types are usually ok, but unless you have EXCELLENT stage presense, monolouges....meh.

(3) Japanese MIXED with English dialogue. One of the skits from Otakon did that a lot, I found it to be a little distracting. (Maybe that's just me....my pref is for no mixing languages.)

KireiChibi
02-13-2004, 12:02 PM
My biggest pet peeve is more personal-knowledge related, I 'spose, but it's still the biggest one -

Basing a cosplay skit on a series that is not commerically released or is just plain obscure. However, this is partially a fault of mine for not knowing - but for the love of God, at LEAST say in an intro (either spoken by the emcee or someone in the skit) what series you're spoofing or whatnot.

Others as follows and mostly were previously named:

1) Don't fight or dance unless you do it well after very much practice. As of yet I've been fortunate to mostly have seen well-choreographed and well-executed cosplay fights and dances, but I remember my talent show days when a group of random people would get up and do the Macarena as an act.
Bleh.

2) Crossovers are usually rather random and often bad, esp. if you don't know who one or two characters are and why the hell they're even there. However, sometimes it's really funny, when APPROPRIATE. Just don't grab a couple Utena cosplayers to go with some Naruto cosplayers and make up some dialogue.

3) Singing, in all but one case that I've seen, should be prerecorded. The one exception I saw was a powerhouse of a singer who performed opera (this was at Otakon 2002, I believe). She was loud enough to be heard by the mics and didn't even NEED mics in the first few rows. When background music is played, it has overshadowed any talent the singer might have had when performing live, so allow for this by making your voice part of the background music.

4) If all you're gonna do is random dancing, conga lines, walking around on stage, or even inconsequential dialogue, fine... just don't do it long, cause it gets really dull. at least if it's short it still retains it's fun.

6) INTRODUCTIONS ARE GOOOOD. Naming characters and INCLUDING the series name is great, so that if the audience can't recognize the characters by costume (should be able to, but sometimes can't) they won't spend half the skit deciphering who you are and the next half trying to figure out what it was you said while they were thinking and why it was funny. Make things easy on the audience.

My beef with series anonymity isn't really due to my own ignorance. I've seen LOTS of anime series to the point where I can't remember everything about each and every one. And I don't want to put down those who seek out as-of-yet-unrealeased-in-US series and enjoy them, please remember that an overwhelming majority of anime fans are getting their fix from TV and commercially available goods now, especially the younger ones without the knowledge of or ability to get fansubs or imports. If you want a skit to be more well-received by more people, stick with more mainstream stuff. If that doesn't jingle your bell, at least tell who you are.

To the credit of those involved, I have seen Final Fantasy skits where I didn't know who anyone was (I don't really game) but they still cracked me up because I could tell, for instance, that 2 characters were dueling over who was a better villain or hero, and it was funny!

that's it!

sailorpsychosis
02-13-2004, 07:57 PM
(3) Japanese MIXED with English dialogue. One of the skits from Otakon did that a lot, I found it to be a little distracting. (Maybe that's just me....my pref is for no mixing languages.)

Oh yes. Very, very distracting. I totally second that motion... (and that goes for everything else... fanworks, etc....)

Dali-Lamb
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM
well, my sisters and i have gone to Anime Central fro 3 years and have participated in their masquerade. my advice is don't listen to the ppl who say to not go out of character. If you try to stick to your character's genre and backstory, you will no doubt leave many behind who have not seen the series. poke fun at what ppl know. for example famous commercials, actors, singers, etc. i in no way mean to totally deny your character their character. for example, if they're evil enunciate on it and make it known to everyone. or if they're good give the example that they are so people will get it.

these simple rules have helped us win 3 awards, so don't just put it aside. and please, please whatever you do, DON'T make your skit centered on your character's attitude and expressions, because let's rememeber that we are in America here, and not everyone is familiar with every character you cosplay as.

~Dali-lamb

Miaka No Baka
02-15-2004, 10:29 PM
well, my sisters and i have gone to Anime Central fro 3 years and have participated in their masquerade. my advice is don't listen to the ppl who say to not go out of character. If you try to stick to your character's genre and backstory, you will no doubt leave many behind who have not seen the series. poke fun at what ppl know. for example famous commercials, actors, singers, etc. i in no way mean to totally deny your character their character. for example, if they're evil enunciate on it and make it known to everyone. or if they're good give the example that they are so people will get it.

these simple rules have helped us win 3 awards, so don't just put it aside. and please, please whatever you do, DON'T make your skit centered on your character's attitude and expressions, because let's rememeber that we are in America here, and not everyone is familiar with every character you cosplay as.

~Dali-lamb

Sometimes that can work, but if it's a very popular wide known character and it's dead obvious that the character acts a certain way. If it's obscure then yeah acting a more common way is best ^_^ I do have to say though sometimes it can be funny to see a dead serious character do something completely crazy and funny, the key is to just keep it on a level where everyone can understand. Like for me seeing an aoshi who's not all cold and bad ass would for me be seen as weird, although in some circumstances it can work.

I hate it when people try to replicate things that are done before especially when it's obvious ^_^;; but yeah I think the key thing to do is like: Keep it short, keep it simple, and keep it interesting.

I don't think stand up comedy does very well at a con, sure you can get laughs and what not but generally you have to stick with anime jokes (at least all the stand up acts I've seen have been anime joke related) and when you get into that not everyone will find it funny and it can be a major ego deflator if the crowd doesn't laugh enough.

I also hate skits where you can't hear the diologue at all, think of the people in the back when doing your skit, pre-record your dialogue it's way better and is a sure fire way to keep people interested in your skit. I get extremely bored if I can't hear the dialogue in the skit cause it's kinda like WTF is going on?

Miaka no Baka

JenniferJetis
02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I was wondering, Hhow familiar do you think NinjaScroll is? I know most poeple have at least heard of it, but not many seem to have actually seen it.
I was in a totally thrown together huge finalfantasy cosplay skit, I admit, in the end it got sorta messed and jumbled, but in the beginning it went well. We had about 10 rehearsals in 30 minutes ah well.
But I agree,about the japanese and interpretive dance, iI saw both at metrocon 2003 and the former was like "what" and the second got gonged

makio
02-16-2004, 12:18 AM
JenniferJetis --- Personally speaking, Ninja Scroll was one of the first I've seen and enjoyed of the animation genre. :) Interesting characters, nice storyline... of course, I'm a little biased, being a fan of Samurai Shodown(the games, not the horrible first anime). BTW... I do remember the gong contest. It was a very hilarious idea, but unfortunately does have the potential to offer too much of a constructive critique to some with "uneasy" emotions. I'd incorporate it into a lot of these cosplay skit competitions these days, or at least make it a seperate division/entertainment con-hour.

As always, just keep in mind that not everyone has seen whatever subject your skit is themed upon; so either throw in a(VERY)short narrative to explain or simply perform the skit in a manner that's able for everyone in the audience to comprehend.

sailorpsychosis
02-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Hmmmm....
What is this "gong" you all speak of?
Sorry if that's a stupid question... I've only seen one masquerade at a small convention, so I don't know much about what goes on. ^^;;

makio
02-16-2004, 03:22 AM
sailorpsychosis --- Nah, it's cool. Basically, Metrocon held a side 'talent contest' where three judges determined your "fate" on stage. So if they felt your acting, singing, stand up comedy, etc. wasn't up to par; they'd sound a gong to notify you that you didn't pass. There was an old TV show(coincidentally named "The Gong Show")where the rules were nearly similar. As long as people take the idea in good humor and not as an insult, it's pretty funny.

ladysubaru25
02-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Basically, Metrocon held a side 'talent contest' where three judges determined your "fate" on stage. So if they felt your acting, singing, stand up comedy, etc. wasn't up to par; they'd sound a gong to notify you that you didn't pass. There was an old TV show(coincidentally named "The Gong Show")where the rules were nearly similar. As long as people take the idea in good humor and not as an insult, it's pretty funny.

Ha! It's like "American Idol" meets "The Gong Show" at an anime con. I love it!! We should do that at Boston one year...

And, on a personal note, I *love* para-para, but probably b/c I know what it is. ^_^ Someone did a para-para parody in a skit at animenext and I thought it was hilarious. But the people that went with me were wondering "WTF???"

I guess it's no use putting all the time and effort into learning a complicated routine if no one knows what the heck you're doing.

And para-para IS complicated...

makio
02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
LoL... I could just imagine the quizzical look on faces of the audience. I've only seen the game a couple times myself at the local arcade(X/S). Though that could still work as a good skit... kinda play off the obscurity in a humorous manner. :)

Eleryth
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Ok, I have to ask. What is Para-para? I thought it was something like DDR, but then I remembered Parappa the Rappa....and got all confused.

ladysubaru25
02-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Ok, I have to ask. What is Para-para? I thought it was something like DDR, but then I remembered Parappa the Rappa....and got all confused.

Ok- at the risk of going too off-topic here, ParaPara is a type of dancing that was big in Japan a few years ago. The craze has since died out, but its still big on other parts of the world, like Brazil. There are hundreds of different para-para routines and they are all done to specific songs. The routines consist of specific, mostly complicated hand/arm/movements. (Think "The Macarena", but much cooler...) There is some footwork in PP routines, but it's mostly upper-body centered. Certain patterns are performed during the verses, chorus, or bridge of a song. PP is usually done to fast, Eurobeat tunes- often exceeding 140 bpm. (I personally LOVE Eurobeat/PP music... but I find ppl either love it or hate it. There's very little middle-ground when it comes to the music.)

A arcade game called "ParaPara Paradise" was made based on this type of dancing. It was put out by Konami- the same company that makes DDR. Instead of jumping around on arrows, you move your hands over sensors in PP-like moves to clear songs in the game.

Anyway, to get this back on topic, PP routines often show up in skits, and we've pretty much unanimously agreed that this is a no-no, as few ppl. at conventions actually "get" what it is the person is doing.

More on ParaPara can be found at: http://www.ddronline.net/parapara/page.php?section=61&id=4

Paul Soth
02-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Here's one my friends complained about at Ohayocon...

PROJECTION!

Seriously. If you are speaking on stage, speak in a loud, clear voice toward the audience. If they can't hear or understand you, you've failed. If you have a mike, speak into it, not over it. And please don't do song parodies of annoying pop starts and tunes (no more Slim Shady, please!), that's just awful.

Remember: Bad comedy is anti-entertainment.

KusanIvy
02-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Ok obviously pre-recorded dialogue = GOOD GOOD GOOD! (when the only alternative is your un-enhanced voice)

Here's my question. Which is better, to:

a) Attempt to lipsync the lines while gesturing in appropriate places

or

b) Gesture only (ie. do not attempt to move your lips at all)

darkangel998
02-22-2004, 03:14 PM
my tips are pretty much the same as the others. Only I must add.. don't rant, yell at, or breate the audience. I will nto name names here but it has happened. I know it's part of the chaaracter and all, but we come to have fun, not to get ranted at.

On a second note. Signs. yes pealse make Signs large and legable!! there are poor half blind people stuck in the back rows!!

though the best japanese dialogue/signs were for a skit at Kazecon. you guys rock.. those who hunt elves group!!

Arisa
02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Okay, can I run a skit by you all? :D

Characters: Yuna, Lenne, Megaman
(Nori Nori Nori plays as they start talking)
Yuna: Hi, I'm Yuna!
Lenne: And I'm Lenne.
Yuna: We're going to be singing 1000--
Lenne: **gesturing to Yuna to stop** Wait, Yuna, I don't think this is 1000 Words.
Yuna: Oh, you're right... well, let's just sing this instead!
(they sing along to Nori Nori Nori as Megaman dances the robot behind them)

As a side note, the vocals of Nori Nori Nori end at 59 seconds, so it's not too long (the con we're doing this at has a one-minute time limit). I didn't think of recording the singing beforehand, but now I'm considering. Or maybe we could just lip sync, seeing as it'll already have the lyrics being sung anyway.

I realize we probably won't win anything with this, but I'm not really aiming to win... I just wanna have some fun, yanno?

Would this bore you stiff? Or is it okay? Would it be okay if we made modifications?

Scortia
02-22-2004, 07:37 PM
It's difficult to be bored in one minute o.o Wtf is up with that con? Anyway, it sounds cute enough... anything that pokes fun at FFX-2 amuses me easily ;p

Arisa
02-22-2004, 08:05 PM
XD Well, last year there was a three minute limit, but I guess there's other stuff going on, I dunno o.o Maybe more people are expected to attend this year? But anyway, thanks for the encouragement :D

Eleryth
02-22-2004, 10:24 PM
At all the conventions I've attended (in Canada, Animethon, Anime North, Toronto Trek, CNA), the time limit has been one minute (1.5 if you have 6 or more people), so to hear of a 3 minute time limit, to me, is just insane. Far too long! However, the cons are starting to have a skit contest, so if you feel the need to show off your costume for longer than 60 seconds, enter that. The basis of your skit should be how best to show of your costume and have fun at the same time. It is for a masquerade, which is a costume contest, right? I can't think of anything that I would find funny in a skit that lasts 3 minutes. Besides, with over 100 entries, you have to put a limit somewhere.

Your skit sounds pretty decent. I don't quite get the joke, but hey. And are you just lipsynching (which I suggest, then you don't have to worry about prerecording your voices, or not being heard), or are you dancing, too? And is there something really funny about the song that works with the characters? I ask in case there's people like me, who don't know the song or much about Yuna and Lenne beyond what they look like.

Good luck.

Yin
02-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Skits don't have subtitiles.

But.. What if the skit had subtitles? :drunk:

- Yin-yin

darkangel998
02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Subtitles....

I've seen a few skitrs with subtitles. IAnd I must remain strong a fervent upon this one fact. Write Largely and Clearly upon whatever you are putting those titles upon. There are paople who have vision problems. As well as the poo rpeople in th eback rows who woudl be left out ig one didn't do such a thing

Yin
02-27-2004, 05:56 PM
It was a joke. =P

- Yin-yin

Subtitles....

I've seen a few skitrs with subtitles. IAnd I must remain strong a fervent upon this one fact. Write Largely and Clearly upon whatever you are putting those titles upon. There are paople who have vision problems. As well as the poo rpeople in th eback rows who woudl be left out ig one didn't do such a thing

momo_anzu
03-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Hmm...I guess I'm a bit late but...I'm hosting a Marylanders Cosplay event, and was wondering about skits...what's a good time limit? I think 2 minutes would be good, ne? Also....would it be cute if you had a skit, all sad and stuff (with a bit of humor splashed in)...to have that whole "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance..." ^_^*

Kia
03-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Subtitles....

Also watch out b/c the bright stage lights tend to wash out the posterboard that most people use for these "subtitles". When that happens on stage it becomes pretty much impossible to the audience to read what is written on them. If someone decides to use them try not to write on the glossy side of the cards as well as try and get the person holding them to stand just outside the light. ^_^

Animeloilpop
04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
What I don't like in a skit is fight it look so stupid if you don't what your doing
and don't go over the time limit and don't drag on the skit Thank you. :)

My question:

I know that many people have never heard of gravitation. IF i do a skit would it be a good ideal to tell something about it ( before the skit starts). This would help them get the skit more right. and how do you think that they will react the boy/boy aspect of it.

the_tennyo
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
*cries*<~~haha not really
whats wrong with PP? It still looks interesting to see it, even if you have no idea what it is. *unless of course the people only learned the dance the day before the cosplay...*

I happen to be doing one with my friend whos coming from vancouver, and 2 other friends. And we have been practicing since february. we just need to get timing down exact :O (it will be hard with yuki coming from bc but she knows it so we;ll work on it lots)

I agree with the martial arts thing though, it is pretty boring if you just stand around doing some moves one by one.

edit: aha! I just noticed this was a very old thread. I rule....~_~

MadBunni
04-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Ahh I knew those speech classes would come in handy!
Rule Numer Uno: The audience is cattle - they only listen to whats easy to hear and you cant keep thier attention for very long. Short and sweet. Thats the way to go.

Im sure theres some other crap I can dig up in my speech book...hmm...

lunasreincarnat
04-07-2004, 03:04 AM
i dont have a problem with dancing or a big dance routine with lots of people as long as it doesnt run on for too long. or if they come up with differnt moves, sitting there for 3 minutes doing the same 5 movement for a song is really annoying. makes me wish for a remote so i can fast forward thru it.

spend lots of time practicing the skit and or lines. its really easy to tell is someone spent 20 minutes on it or 20 hrs on it. (i have watched people come up with skits in the back room before they go on and they were actually good)

i really dont like it when people just walk on stage pose and walk off, thats what the costume contest is for. its cool if you come out with music and do some in-character stuff. but anything is almost embarassing

and yes chair is really over done ( i still get a little enjoyment out of it >.<) but i saw a neato skit at katsucon that still made it funny.

Nine
04-07-2004, 05:58 AM

XD That is so true. I have so much to say about Para Para skits... ^^;

I'm actually preforming a Para Para dance at Sakuracon, so I had a friend to mix me 6 songs, in under 2 minutes (1:51 w00t). That's the way to do it, in my opinion, because:

1. It's not repetitive at all, seeing there are only segments of songs. When you preform one song, they have basically the same kind of movements, so unless you're a die hard para para fan, like me, it will get boring. Those who don't know about Para Para will question why the preformer just re-did the same moveset they did all ready. XD

2. You have a wider selection of music with a mix, which will sound different, meaning the audience won't be bored with the song selection, like they would be if you just play one song.

3. It's fun choreographing 6 songs w/ totally different movesets together! =3

....ok I thought I had more. XD

The only downside is, only mix music if the mix will sound good. ^^;

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-08-2004, 01:09 PM
My advice is to get right to the point, don't waste time and don't do anything you don't have prior expirience with. If you have never sung before, don't get up and sing. If you aren't naturally funny, don't try to do comedy.

And remember:

LESS IS MORE.

Psychotic Jei
04-09-2004, 09:45 PM
About the english mixed with Japanese thing. I keep thinking of a huge exception. Like catch phrases. Characters like Chichiri and Ryuichi from Gravitation...use No Da alot. It just sounds odd translated. and thigns like Ryoma's mada mada.. lines. I dunno....

Scoti
04-10-2004, 09:54 PM
I think timing in funny skits bugs me a lot. If your skit isn’t on tape I think there should be a small pause in the dialog to allow the audience to absorb the first joke before presenting a new one. It kinda sucks when you’re sitting there and the crowd is laughing so loud that you can’t hear the rest of the skit….I guess that’s my pet peeve there really isn’t anything you can do about laughter it’s contagious especially when everyone is hyper anyway.

<-- *guilty of hyperness*

and yeah I agree with shortening the long drawn out dance numbers. Most of the time the song doesn't apply to the characters at all......

bakashinji
04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
You should make sure that the skit is well-rehearsed, so it goes smoothly and without a hitch.

Oops, I already broke this rule at a convention last year. :blubber:

I did write subtitles on the sheets of paper, though.

Senko-chan
04-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I hate it when something to too too goofy or too too serious. It has to be a nice even amount of each. Thats my oppinion ^_^

Lyn
04-19-2004, 06:42 PM
i really dont like it when people just walk on stage pose and walk off, thats what the costume contest is for. its cool if you come out with music and do some in-character stuff. but anything is almost embarassing

Well, the walk-ons are perfectly allowed at most cons. Some people just prefer to have their costume judged for craftsmanship at the Masquerade where they can show it off to everyone in the audience instead of just getting it judged at the hall costume contest where only the judges will get a good look at it. Though I do agree, they tend to be really boring for the audience unless there's at least some type of in-character thing. And one should definently always have music for that. *nod*

and yes chair is really over done ( i still get a little enjoyment out of it >.<) but i saw a neato skit at katsucon that still made it funny.

^____^ That would be the crazy skit my friends and I did. lol Glad you liked it. Though the audience did kinda drown out our lines. o_o; But hey, it was the first time any of us had done a skit and so we weren't sure how'd it go (must use pre-recorded dialogue in future ^^; ) We thought we'd get massacred for doing a joke about the chair. o_o; But a lot of people seemed to like it even though most missed the point that we were actually anti-chair. ^^;

Phyrechan
04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
some of my friends are thinking about doing an ffx-2 skit, but one girl has decided (>.<) to do an original ff costume. she wants to be in the skit. :sulk: from reading all ya'll's posts, it doesn't sound like this would be a good idea unless she was introduced in a totally new and inovative way, huh? .... or is this just a no no?

Dany
04-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Here's some of the advice I got when I was prepping for CostumeCon (my first masquerade. Yike!):

1. The judges do not need the full time alotted to get a good idea of your costume and what it entails, especially if you're alone. Short and sweet is more effective. Go too long, and you get boring fast. If you're given a minute, try to see what you can do in forty to fifty seconds, for example. Obviously, a group will need a touch more time, but that doesn't mean that it needs to be an extended performance. Use enough time to present, get the costumes their fair shake, and close so that the next act can go on.

2. Keep it simple. Don't try to dance if you have two left feet, don't try swinging even a piece of foam if you don't know what you're doing with it. You end up tempting Murphy's Law and possibly looking foolish.

3. Prepare for props to fail. If they do, then have your backup plan that will cover it so that you look like you "meant" to do it. I watched a girl dressed as Marilyn Monroe do a pose and her bracelet fell off, hitting her on the forehead before it landed on the stage. She didn't so much as flinch..which was amazing. Take a look at your costume and note all the possibilities for trouble, and how you can work around them if trouble comes up.

4. It's been mentioned that you shouldn't try to talk onstage unless you have dialog recorded so that it can go over the loudspeaker, else no one can hear you. Of course, lip synch has its own risk because there could be a delay in what you hear versus what the audience hears, causing you to be off. You might want someone to watch at a tech rehearsal to see if this problem is a factor at the venue you are performing in if there is a chance.

5. Plan your stage movement to best present both character and costume. Sailor Moon shouldn't come onstage with slouchy shoulders and gaiting like an old pony. For the time you're given, you want people to believe you ARE the character you are dressed as. Many costumes that are not quite perfect are made up for by the sheer presence of the person in them.

6. Practice, practice, practice...and practice again after that. You want to be confident enough in what you are doing so that you don't feel the need to rush because of the nervousness to get it over with.

I'm sure there's more...but I'm clean out of things at the moment.

Kaijugal
04-21-2004, 12:14 AM
For Gord's sake, do not:

- sing. Please, please. don't sing. You need rehearsals and sound checks and stuff like that for it to sound decent, even if you do have a mic. If you don't have a mic, nobody will hear you. Either way, it's death.

- do a martial arts fight scene. Unless you and your opponent are actual martial artists and have rehearsed a million times over, you'll just look like two dorks who think they're Keanu Reeves. I have witnessed this, and it's not pretty.

- dancing only works if, again, you have choreographed it and practiced a million times. Do not just get up on stage and dance, as you'll just look pathetic.

- if you don't have access to a mic on stage, pre-record your dialogue and lip-synch to it. If you try to speak without amplification, only the first 3 rows will hear you at all.

- finally, if you can't come up with a really good skit idea, DON'T DO ONE! Don't just throw together something at the last minute and expect it to work, as 9 times out of 10 it will suck. If you're at a loss, you can always just do a cool walk-on with appropriate music. Walk on in character, perhaps have the MC do a voice-over intro, or a pre-recorded intro, strike a few poses and leave. That is much better than hanging around onstage and boring the audience.

For Gord's Sake!! ^_^ BWAHAH :crylaugh: AWSOME!

I completely agree with all of the above, and stress PRE RECORD YOUR SOUND AND DO NOT TALK ON STAGE Sometimes even the judges can't hear you!

A strong presentation can make a mediocre costume good, but a weak presentation can detract incredibly from even the best made costume.

SpikeSpiegel
04-21-2004, 12:15 PM
If you do talk on stage, at least know how to project your voice to the audience AND I DONT MEAN SHOUTING. There is a drastic difference.

Odysseanpromise
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
If you do talk on stage, at least know how to project your voice to the audience AND I DONT MEAN SHOUTING. There is a drastic difference.

Yeah, you can often tell who are the people who are on drama teams and what not in their school/college/community because there is a certain ring to their voice.

If you don't do this, or don't know how to do this, then leave well enough alone. You may think it is easy, but it isn't easy enough to pick up by the seat of your pants.

Not all stages are created equally: There is such thing as a "live" stage which tends to amplify sound (usually with lots of hard surfaces like wooden panelling. And then there are "dead" stages where there are a lot of "cushy" objects to absorb your sound. Most people practice in small enclosed spaces, and these are usually considered "dead". Even if you practice outside, there is nothing for the sound to bounce off of, so you have no real way of knowing what you will sound like until you get there.

Ayane_Eiketsu
05-07-2004, 04:26 AM
sorry if this question has been over-done, but my friends and I are gonna cosplay as a band. And since none of the members play instruments all we can do is sing and dance. we were only gonna do half of the song, and it isn't in english...its in korean...and we're all gonna lip synch. would that bore any of you to tears. it'll be our first con, cosplay and masquerade :waaaah:

Xanthix
05-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Ayane_Eiketsu, in my opinion that would be okay, but you might want to focus on keeping it short and sweet, and doing something interesting with the dancing. Masquerade fans have terrible attention spans, so just standing on stage lip-synching for 3 minutes would probably not go over well. But if you just do a minute or so, and do some cool dance moves, it could be fun. :)

Jono-chan
05-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Would you say that it would be a big no-no to do a skit where a group of characters from one series are seen in like a behind-the-scenes way where they make fun of/complain about the horrible editing of lines? Like having the cast of YuGiOh complain about the cheesy dub lines?

Emiko
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I think that would be really cool!

Dany
05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Would you say that it would be a big no-no to do a skit where a group of characters from one series are seen in like a behind-the-scenes way where they make fun of/complain about the horrible editing of lines? Like having the cast of YuGiOh complain about the cheesy dub lines?

That'd be cute.

It kind of reminds me of "Who Killed Vampire Hunter D", where if I recall correctly, the cast of Vampire Hunter D watched the TNT edit of the first D anime, and commented on what changed (I think there was a combination of time and "propriety" cuts...).

If it hasn't been done already, I would love to see two people dressed as the same character, but one be the "dubbed" character, whose vocals would not match his mouth, and the other being the "subtitled" character (where they'd be speaking the original language but require the little signs for translation. It'd be funny if the "dubbed" character had to read the "subbed" character's card to understand him!

..and if it happens because of me saying this, I wanna see video! :rockon:

Scortia
05-17-2004, 07:02 PM
I think that idea would be cute if you make jokes in a creative way... if you all just go up and complain outright there'd be few laughs... like if you had two Malik cosplayers and one was called "Malik" and one was called "Merrick" and they could talk differently in tone and dialogue depending on whether they are from the original or dubbed... dunno ;p

Asmaria
05-19-2004, 07:15 AM
If it hasn't been done already, I would love to see two people dressed as the same character, but one be the "dubbed" character, whose vocals would not match his mouth, and the other being the "subtitled" character (where they'd be speaking the original language but require the little signs for translation. It'd be funny if the "dubbed" character had to read the "subbed" character's card to understand him!

..and if it happens because of me saying this, I wanna see video! :rockon:

Actually, at Ushicon 1, my friends and I did a skit the weekend the first episode of .hack//SIGN aired on Cartoon Network. It was basically a skit of Tsukasa trying to wake up Aura, and Morgana warning him not to. Finally she resorted to threatening to dub him if he actually woke her up. Well he doesn't believe her, wakes her up, and suddenly a new Tsukasa with a Maha walk on stage, while our friend backstage provides the voice in a deep British accent. (So wrong! XD) He steals the real Tsukasa's staff, and Dub-Tsukasa, Maha, and Aura skip off stage together, leaving poor original Tsukasa to rethink his actions. ^^

I -do- have a video, but I'll have to find it first. PM me if you want it, and I'll try to upload it somewhere :D