PDA

View Full Version : PMX: New direction for masquerade

shogun
01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Well, this should be an interesting masquerade. I want to try a lot of new things that we weren't allowed to do at AX:

1) Larger venue: This one hosts 8,000 people.
2) Better sound & light: I want to use the same equipment TMR does.
3) Pre-sales of tickets: We are going to SELL tickets to the masquerade pre-con. Hopefully this gets rid of the 4AM lines and increases the odds friends can sit together. (The fee will be $3-7) (Also note that all the money is going back into the cosplay/masquerade budget.)
4) Masquerade Green Room: I'd like to give the contestants a better environment to wait in before the performance. This will also include drinks and snacks.
5) Longer skits and fewer performances: With the increase in no-shows and the retirement of many of the larger groups, I'd like to focus more on quality over quantity.
6) Cash Prizes: Because the masquerade now focuses on much more than anime, it no longer makes sense to give out anime merchandise. I've also talked to many cosplayers and they would prefer to just be able to afford more material to make even more costumes.
7) Creation of a cosplay photo zone for the cosplayers.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Gundam_MkIII
01-25-2004, 09:50 PM
man, those all sound like awesome faetures of the masq. contest, a suggestion that ive alway thought would be good is maybe a fan favorites judging, like you have slpis for ppl to fill out duiring the contest and at the judging pick them out and sort them to choose a winner for a fan favorite.

Clueless Case
01-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Where is the Masq gonna be?

AngelJibrille
01-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Where is the Masq gonna be?

It's going to be at the Arena in the Anaheim Convention Center :) The convention itself is centered at the Anaheim Hilton & the Anaheim Convention Center.

The Masquerade is going to be run by me, Marisa, I also run the Masquerades at Anime Expo and Anime Boston :)

Cool things about this Masquerade:
- We will have microphones for those who want to sing
- It's not just anime! Costumes can be based on Asian film (such as characters from Battle Royale (Japan) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), Asian animation (such as Yu-Gi-Oh or the Korean animation Wonderful Days), Asian comics (such as the Japanese Card Captor Sakura, Korean I.N.V.U, or Chinese Story of the Tao), Asian-origin video game (such as Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online), or Asian music stars (such as Malice Mizer or Morning Musume).
- We have cash prizes :)

You can read more about it and register here:
http://www.pacific-media-expo.org/pmx/costume.html

Prizes:
Award Category 1: Presentation/Performance
The presentation awards are based on your skit, routine, walk-on, or performance. The quality of your costume often factors into your presentation, but simple costumes have won the highest awards in the past when coupled with a superior skit or routine.
---------------------------------
$750 -> Best of Show, Presentation
$150 -> Judges Award, Presentation
Prize Package -> Best of Show, Presentation, Junior/Youth
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Presentation

Award Category 2: Craftsmanship
The craftsmanship awards are based on the design, construction, execution, and general presentation of your costume.
---------------------------------
$750 -> Best of Show, Craftsmanship, Group
$350 -> Best of Show, Craftsmanship, Individual
$250 -> Design Award, Craftsmanship
$150 -> Judges Award, Craftsmanship
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Craftsmanship, Group
Prize Package -> Honorable Mention, Craftsmanship, Individual

We hope to see you there!
Misa

shogun
01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
man, those all sound like awesome faetures of the masq. contest, a suggestion that ive alway thought would be good is maybe a fan favorites judging, like you have slpis for ppl to fill out duiring the contest and at the judging pick them out and sort them to choose a winner for a fan favorite.

We've considered this possibility. The only problem is that in a room with an 8,000 person capacity, it would take a whole room of staffers about an entire day to tabulate all the votes. We are including prizes to be awarded by the judges discretion, so that should also cover people who may not have won the main prizes. Never underestimate the roar of the crowd in swaying judges.

Mike

Kitty
01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
That is very true if it wasent for all the cheering I got in past shows I doubt me and my friends would have gotten awards.

Shogun I am very much looking forward to this one but the problem is what do I wear to really knock them dead? Hmmmm the next couple of months are gonna be hard working ones with costumes for me.

I think it is a great idea to have cash prizes to help all of us make better costumes.

shogun
02-01-2004, 03:45 AM
That is very true if it wasent for all the cheering I got in past shows I doubt me and my friends would have gotten awards.

Shogun I am very much looking forward to this one but the problem is what do I wear to really knock them dead? Hmmmm the next couple of months are gonna be hard working ones with costumes for me.

I think it is a great idea to have cash prizes to help all of us make better costumes.

I think an authentic Tiramisu costume would win the fan vote. I am not certain of what would win over the judges though. Personally, I always lean more heavily towards the best performance category. To really appreciate best craftsmanship, you have to get pretty up close and personal. Most fans never really get to do that or appreciate that.

As to the money, I think it's the fair thing to do. However, I just hope that it doesn't affect the feeling of fun and community that you can usually feel in the masquerades.

Mike

Kitty
02-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Sad to say that is exactly what happend to me at last years first Las Vegas comic con . Everyone there was thinking that they were going to win the money and when they didnt things got ugly on the board a bit after the con.I felt that I had to say my thoughts of how judges pick the winners to make people less angry at me for winning a prizeI worked so hard to make . Even if things dont go so well I am still going to have a blast.

Ps. As for Tiramisu, I would love to do that costume but I dont look like her much I try to pick the anime I love and charecters I look like but hey you may get lucky and some cosplayer might tie you up and hunt you down like she does ^_____^ Lets just hope its not a crossplayer who does the costume LOL.

shogun
02-02-2004, 03:26 AM
A few things I forgot to mention about the Anaheim Arena. Because it is a full concert venue, the masquerade contestands will also get a few other amenities. We have three full dressing rooms available for contestants and two locker rooms available for use as well. We THINK we can get a masquerade green room up and running in there, but I'm still negotiating those details out.

Mike

Squall
02-02-2004, 04:07 AM
coolness! it should be fun

Kitty
02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Wow you guys are going all out for this one! It will be nice to get treated so well.
Thank you Mike for focusing on the cosplayers so much . :love:

shogun
02-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Wow you guys are going all out for this one! It will be nice to get treated so well.
Thank you Mike for focusing on the cosplayers so much . :love:

Well, I think cosplayers are very important to a convention. If anything, they are to cons what many of the characters walking around Disneyland are to the entire Disney experience.

As to masquerade, I think that it is a big draw for fans to conventions, so cons should treat the participants with respect and should share some of what they generate with the same cosplay community.

Mike

Gundam_MkIII
02-08-2004, 02:09 AM
wow, im very glad to see such a positive view towards the cosplayers. do you happen to know anything on the weapons policy yet? cause i want to start on my kwan dao prop v2 and i wanted to make the blade out of metal but with out any sharp edges or tip, think that's be ok?

shogun
02-08-2004, 05:24 AM
wow, im very glad to see such a positive view towards the cosplayers. do you happen to know anything on the weapons policy yet? cause i want to start on my kwan dao prop v2 and i wanted to make the blade out of metal but with out any sharp edges or tip, think that's be ok?

Since I have the former security head of AX writing the weapons policies, I doubt if it would change too much. I've talked a lot to the city to see what flexibility I can get on props, but for the most part, they keep saying that ever since 9/11 and Columbine, there is NO way to tell if a prop is fake or has a dull edge. They will always shoot before risking themselves. My other concern is that I have seen some professionals with live steel before doing demos. Fans can buy live steel in the exhibit hall and try to mimic them. Because the fans are a danger to the community when mimicing the pros, my inclination is to ban the pros from doing demos in public as well. Granted, we are a smaller con, so you will be endangering fewer people, but as we grow, I'd like to have fans feel that the rules are always consistent.

Sorry, but the live steel rule will remain the same. We MIGHT have some flexibility with demos in controlled areas, but that might be about it.

Mike

Gundam_MkIII
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
oh thats fine but what about something like aluminum?, cause i was planning on using that

shogun
02-08-2004, 05:16 PM
oh thats fine but what about something like aluminum?, cause i was planning on using that

To the police, aluminum might look real too. I would suggest the traditional path of using aluminum foil. Of course, for the masquerade, you could see if you could get a special appeal to use something more real looking, but that is 100% Marisa's decision, not mine.

Mike

Kitty
02-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Man I was going to use aluminum for my costume for the masqeurade too. Is
Marisa going to make an appeal for weapons ?

Gundam_MkIII
02-10-2004, 07:14 PM
To the police, aluminum might look real too. I would suggest the traditional path of using aluminum foil. Of course, for the masquerade, you could see if you could get a special appeal to use something more real looking, but that is 100% Marisa's decision, not mine.

Mike

Hmm thats too bad, do you know if there will be any sort of weapons check-in booth or anything? cause i foil gives a cheap effect and it isnt very stable either.

soursop
02-10-2004, 08:13 PM
a venue to hold 8000 people for the masquerade?

that's quite an impressive feat, especially for a first year con. I guess that's why they call him the shogun *joking*

shogun
02-10-2004, 11:11 PM
a venue to hold 8000 people for the masquerade?

that's quite an impressive feat, especially for a first year con. I guess that's why they call him the shogun *joking*

Well, I doubt if we will come close to filling it. I've already gotten rid of 2000 seats because I think they have a bad view of the stage. Even then, I doubt if more than 4,000 people will be in the masquerade audience. This is actually a good problem given all the problems we've had in all the past Anime Expo's in terms of seating everyone. This will be a nice venue we can grow into and has all the amenities that masquerade participants have been wanting for many years.

Mike

Squall
02-11-2004, 01:28 AM
As far as the weapons policy goes for every year..anything Live Steel (metal) is most likey a no no from what I remember

Anele
02-11-2004, 10:26 AM
What about light wood painted silver? (i.e. Sephiroth's masamune)

Squall
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Wood smood lol, If I do remember again, everything is gonna have to be inspected by con opps or whomever before it can be approved.

But I don't see any problems with a wooden prop, I have some too.

Anele
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Hurrah, I'm happy now. ^_^ Sephiroth shall have his sword. :D

Kitty
02-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Well good for me this lil red neko has some tricks up her sleeve. >3

I cant wait to finish my props!

SQUALL: Did you get my text I sent a few weeks a go to you? And also I guess you wil be going to PMX Now and be in the masqurade?

Yuna
02-15-2004, 02:46 AM
Well, I doubt if we will come close to filling it. I've already gotten rid of 2000 seats because I think they have a bad view of the stage. Even then, I doubt if more than 4,000 people will be in the masquerade audience. This is actually a good problem given all the problems we've had in all the past Anime Expo's in terms of seating everyone. This will be a nice venue we can grow into and has all the amenities that masquerade participants have been wanting for many years.

Mike

Wow, that's a really hopeful number there! I know that, on average, San Diego Comic Con International only gets about 5,000 (give or take) watching the masquerade. Knowing you're expecting 4,000 viewers may be a little nerve wrecking to the less experienced costumer, or those with budding skill. I hope it works out though!

shogun
02-15-2004, 03:15 AM
Wow, that's a really hopeful number there! I know that, on average, San Diego Comic Con International only gets about 5,000 (give or take) watching the masquerade. Knowing you're expecting 4,000 viewers may be a little nerve wrecking to the less experienced costumer, or those with budding skill. I hope it works out though!

Well, my goal is to create a vetting system. To maintain the quality of the masquerade, I'd like to offer people who placed in the previous year's masquerade guaranteed spots of they want them. Second round of slots goes to winners of other costume competitions throughout the country. The third round will go to people in the order they sign up.

I'd like to keep the mini-masquerade/fashion show to help build up the more inexperienced cosplayers and have them work towards building the skills and confidence for stepping out in front of the big crowds.

This will hopefully help to keep the quality of the masquerade fairly high, give veteran cosplayers a chance to participate without having to run around for slots and also give younger cosplayers a chance to hone their skills. All around, a win-win-win for cosplayers, attendees and staff.

Of course, Marisa might veto these proposals, so for right now, they are just my goals.

Mike

Yuna
02-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I've actually been stunned at the current surge in amazing new cosplayers who have made incredible first costumes and just keep on raising their bar higher above what many veteran cosplayers may have. It's hard to ever really know, but your system does seem very appealing. I really look forward to this masquerade and the judgeing. It's been a while since I competed at an Anime Convention =o

AngelJibrille
02-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Of course, Marisa might veto these proposals, so for right now, they are just my goals.

Mike

Hmm. We can bargain over this! Lol. I don't know; I'll have to think about it.

However, now that PMX is my main convention (yay!) I'll have a lot more time to focus on all the great things we can do with Masquerade.

I'm sorry we won't have a Mini-Masq this year... here's hoping we get that going for next year, it's a lot of fun for new cosplayers! :)

Marisa
PMX Cosplay Events Manager :D

shogun
04-24-2004, 04:44 PM
After much debate, we decided to waive the ticket sales for year one. We will still be offering the cash prizes and all the dressing rooms and locker rooms for attendees. The decision to remove the ticket sales probably means that the green room for the participants will be cancelled and that we may not upgrade the lighting as much as we would like. In either case, we still feel that this will be a great event with more support of the participants than most of us veterans have ever seen in the past.

Mike