PDA

View Full Version : Small Forum Issues - Temporary

Admin
05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Because we're using a mix of the new layout and the old forums, a few things will look odd until the rest of the site is open. This is because a few CSS rules are being rewritten by the new layout. You'll notice things like dropdowns and buttons in the Reply box looking weird, and a few weird spacings on a couple of account pages.

Since the forums work, this was a low priority to create a temporary fix for, but it will correct itself when the other sections are open. Sorry about that. I wanted to get the forums open sooner rather than later. :)

Admin
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Quick Reply should be working again.

SunsetSovereign
05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Every time I pull up cosplay.com on my computer I get a message that it is a risky connection and was blocked by my antivirus. Will the no longer happen once all the updates are complete? Im worried I will not be able to use this site again.

Admin
05-11-2012, 05:16 PM
That shouldn't be happening. The only thing I can think of is to try clearing out your cache or checking the antivirus settings for this specific site. Not sure what antivirus you're using, but there might be a setting to reset specific sites?

Caboose1
05-11-2012, 06:58 PM
So far every time I've tried uploading a photo it says it has uploaded and to wait 2 mins before seeing it in my gallery. I uploaded it this morning but it still isn't being shown on my profile.

Admin
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm not showing any photos uploaded in your account since the changeover, that would mean that the image didn't upload for some reason. Can you try again and tell me if you get any other messages after uploading?

Caboose1
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm only getting these messages "Please allow up to two minutes for your photo to appear in the gallery.
Upload Results
Next Step
Upload More Photos

Photo Album Administration Page" I can post a print screen of it, if you want. Thank you for helping ^_^

Admin
05-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Sending you a PM.

CapsuleCorp
05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
fyi on older browsers, the scrolling is REALLY slow and jerky. It honestly behaves much like facebook does, which is not a good thing in any book. it takes longer to scroll down the forums to find a topic than it does to type a reply. Is this something that will eventually settle down when the final fix is finished?

Upgrading browsers is not an option. It laughed at me when I tried to go to firefox 12. Either I shell out hundreds of nonexistent dollars for a new computer or stop using cosplay.com at some point when the scrolling becomes a headache.

Admin
05-12-2012, 08:07 PM
fyi on older browsers, the scrolling is REALLY slow and jerky. It honestly behaves much like facebook does, which is not a good thing in any book. it takes longer to scroll down the forums to find a topic than it does to type a reply. Is this something that will eventually settle down when the final fix is finished?

Upgrading browsers is not an option. It laughed at me when I tried to go to firefox 12. Either I shell out hundreds of nonexistent dollars for a new computer or stop using cosplay.com at some point when the scrolling becomes a headache.

Is it only the forums doing this on your computer, or is it every section? The other sections are actually more lightweight than they were before, but we haven't done anything with the forums yet.

thatanimekid
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
I just want to say that there the CSS is pretty much nonexistent when I'm on the site. Everything appears in a basic HTML form (eg, no buttons or formatting or anything, just lists of text links). Sorry if this is just happening to everyone and is normal and stuff, but I thought I should just bring it up ^_^'

Admin
05-13-2012, 10:46 PM
What browser are you using?

CapsuleCorp
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry for the delay - to be honest I really don't go to other sections of the site often if at all. But since you mentioned it, I checked, and lo and behold, all parts of the site have a very slow, jerky scrolling on my older browser. I was hoping it was just a forums thing since you're still using the older code, but if the costume and gallery pages are just the same...oops?

errido
05-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Just a small problem, not particularly an issue.
I noticed that the market place has a different default setting for showing threads. I believe that is an adjustment to the repeatedly reported "bumping" problem. However, I don't particularly feel the adjustment is working, though it was fixed with good intent.

Because the default sets threads to be viewed as newly started threads first, the bumping issue is gone, and now the forum is filled with new commissioners who we are not familiar with. I'm not saying that they can't be any good, it is wrong for the reputed commissioners were once new, but that many commissioners who started the trade earlier can be good as well. Now that the default setting is changed, their threads go way back, at least not on the front pages, and I think they deserve better exposure, at least as much as the new commissioners, to be fair.

Something that people would try to do is to start new threads, just to get them to the front page in the default setting, even though it's not working with the market place rule. Its characteristic not different than bumping, but worse, because people give up the positive comments they had in older posts. And this is not beneficial to anyone, the buyer, the seller, as well as cosplay.com

Change the default setting to options other than "Thread Start Time" doesn't help much either.

Yes, it is true that viewers can change ways threads are shown, but I have to say the option is rather unnoticeable, down at the bottom, in light gray (actually, I didn't find it out until just now. I've spent days trying to figure out what's wrong). New comers might not know that the market forum is especially different than other forums. Older viewers who were used to the setting might not even know it exists!

Now that the problem has been raise, I believe it shouldn't be over looked. You (person or group, whoever participated in the maintenance) can choose to set the default as same as the other forums, which is "Last Post Time". But then the "bumping" problem is not fixed, though I believe the issue is more severe now. I'm not a big bump person. Out of the 16 comments I received, one was me bumping, and I don't plan to do it in the future unless necessary.

Or, if you are not afraid of too much work, you can adjust the market place specifically. Maybe when showing thread by last reply, ignore the replies from the owner of the thread, or anyone who has already commented before. I'm sure this would require a lot of work, so you can simply ban the action of "bumping".

I have been to a lot of cosplay forums, including ACP and Cosplay Island, but none of them has as good, ordered market place like cosplay.com has. I would hate to see cosplay.com lose this advantage, and I earnestly wish this problem can be fixed soon.

Thank you for taking time to read this long comment ;P

Kawaii Pocky
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
I like the new lay out so far, but it is a little buggy, but it's understandable since they're working on the site and such. The only new thing I don't like is when your typing text in your reply box every where on the site, the forums and your inbox that the text is greyed out. The only reason I don't like it is it makes me think my text isn't being written out even though it is. Like I'm not sure how to explain it if any one knows what I'm talking about.

seiryuux
05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
I've had a few issues with forum pop up windows (such as the search pop up) appearing in inconvenient places. Normally, the pop up would appear underneath the link, like the search pop up showing directly underneath "Search this thread". Said search pop up now pops farther down and right, and has actually appeared underneath the right side banner ad a couple of times.

I know it's minor but I hope this gets fixed.

Sarcasm-hime
05-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Not sure if this is already on the to-do list, but the top bar doesn't display properly on an IPhone; the entire bar is only visible when zoomed all the way out (it doesn't scroll left-right along with the main content), and then when you start typing in the field, it zooms in and is cropped off the side of the screen so you can't actually see what you're typing.

nyokun
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Small thing. I have a friend that is trying to create a new account, but there seems to be no option for him to do this. He's using a Chrome browser if that helps at all.

Technowraith
05-30-2012, 08:14 PM
In Google chrome, the menu pop-up that appeared when you clicked a user's name doesn't show-up like it used to in the old format. It's a bit of a headache when I'm looking to find a way to PM a user and there's no way to do it currently with Chrome. Note that I had chrome with the old layout and the menu pop-up DID indeed work then. since the new format rolled out, that pop-up no longer appears. And now that I need to PM users about upcoming convention plans, this issue may become an inconvenience that could lead to some major convention planning headaches. Is there a work around or some other way to try lok at and address this issue? It appears the pop-ups have begun working for some, but not all users, as reported in the PM Alerts thread in the Site Changes sub-forum

ztech123
05-31-2012, 09:08 AM
When you try to reply to posts, you are told your post will go through moderation by a MOD before being posted ???

cactusmomma
06-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Is there a possibility of having the upper menu bar shortened? This: http://i49.tinypic.com/2itszmt.jpg is a lot of dead space that actually crunches down on how much of the actual forum can be seen.

DireKitty
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Not sure if this is already on the to-do list, but the top bar doesn't display properly on an IPhone; the entire bar is only visible when zoomed all the way out (it doesn't scroll left-right along with the main content), and then when you start typing in the field, it zooms in and is cropped off the side of the screen so you can't actually see what you're typing.

Yeah it's a pain using a cell phone on this website because of that crappy top bar.

Is there a possibility of having the upper menu bar shortened? This: http://i49.tinypic.com/2itszmt.jpg is a lot of dead space that actually crunches down on how much of the actual forum can be seen.

Weird, it doesn't display like that on my computer.... all one line. Even when i scroll in it stays on one line. What browser do you use and whats your screens resolution?

cactusmomma
06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
It only does this on the forum tab, from the looks of it. I'm currently running 1440x900 on firefox.

momo6548
06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
My question isn't directly about the forum, but might be connected to it. The convention Anime Mid-Atlantic has not been added to the Events calendar. This came up on the con's forum on here and a number of people have noticed this and submitted the event (including myself). Shall we assume the delay is from the focus on bug fixes in the forums?

Daiseko
06-12-2012, 05:14 AM
I don't get message notifications. D:

AkinaNokita
06-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I've been having serious issues trying to upload any photos recently. I even tried uploading one image at a time, reduced the size down to a 435Kb JPG and I'm still being redirected to a page reading:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12000 bytes) in /home/cosplay/public_html/user_photos.php on line 718.