PDA

View Full Version : Previews of New Layout

Admin
05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
As promised, here are a few layout previews. First, the updated Photo page. You'll notice that the photo is much larger. The follow button on the right I will explain a bit later.

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/photopage.jpg

Admin
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM
By the way, I'm purposely breaking the layout in this thread so you can see the full image.

Admin
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Costumes Browsing

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/costumes-account.jpg

Admin
05-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Photoshoots Page

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/shoots.jpg

Admin
05-08-2012, 12:00 AM
A cleaner front page for the photos section.

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/photofront.jpg

Admin
05-08-2012, 12:01 AM
The new layout for photoshoots. We've dropped the medium sized images and just gone with more of a photo story look.

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/photoshoot-search.jpg

Admin
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM
The new Calendar. Also, 2012 events are up to date.

The new calendar shows off some of the functionality we sprinkled across the site. Instead of having to go into a "planner" section to add events, you can now add to your convention planner directly from the calendar itself.

Any events you are attending will automatically appear at the top of the calendar for you.

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/calendar.jpg

Admin
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Adding and editing costumes just got a lot cleaner. You will be able to add costumes/edit your costumes simply by going to the costumes tab up top.

http://static.cosplay.com/newlayout/costumeadmin.jpg

Kesra
05-08-2012, 12:21 AM
...Okay I'm liking what I'm seeking.

Most places take a decent lay out and make it suck. Not here. Nope. This improvement is actually an improvement.

AutisticAlice
05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Normally i can't stand the idea of change but this... will be awesome... and SO much more easier to use. I had a hard time with the older layout before. ><

Kyuushin
05-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Can't wait! :)

LakuriSyaoran
05-08-2012, 01:04 AM
8O Omg, this is looking really nice!! I like how all the pictures arn't squished in the middle now!
I cant wait to explore 8D

scuryghost
05-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Wow, coscom was already pretty big but activity was somewhat low... with a new functional layout like this I think things will probably be a lot more active around here. Nice going!

FinalEVA
05-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Nice. I'm most excited about being able to mass upload images so I can get more of my complete Con photo collections up.

SoraXroxasXaxel
05-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Looks good. I like it. Ahh, so many amazing cosplayers X3

AshofRebirth
05-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Soooo much better man

MeiChama
05-08-2012, 02:00 AM
This new layout is so beautiful! I love it! >w< Can't wait until it all goes live. >w<

Blood_Sword
05-08-2012, 02:42 AM
It looks promising! Hopefully I will get used to it soon!
I'm always a bit iffy to major changes at first because most times I tend to prefer the "original"... but I guess this update might be different. Can't wait until it's all done!

Mehdia
05-08-2012, 02:59 AM
This is all looking great. I'm excited to see how it will all be once it goes live.

Sammie
05-08-2012, 04:24 AM
The new changes are beautiful :D

Nina Zambardino
05-08-2012, 06:45 AM

OMG!!!

fujyoshi
05-08-2012, 07:19 AM
soo epic :D I can't wait till the whole thing ;p

Syagria
05-08-2012, 07:36 AM
So clean and stream-lined! Two thumbs up on the layout changes. Also, I definitely love the fact that the site overhaul is making everything easier to use :) So many sites fiddle around with layouts and yet totally forget that the pretty sites are still poo without good facility of interaction for the user.

MomoKurumi
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I can't believe some of you people- chance can be a good thing you know. ;P I'm not saying it's always a good thing, but you guys act like it's always going to be a bad thing.

ANYWAYS, Cosplay.com MASSIVELY needed to be redone- I've been a member for five years, and this is the first major site update I've seen. I'm looking forward to the new site! I'm going to get a bunch of friends to join, hopefully it'll get more active around here!

Also, question, since cosplayers lack such a medium- is the social networking improved any? Previously, the only form of social interaction was on the forums, and even then, it wasn't really "networking". Facebook has a vast amount of cosplayers on it because of the social aspects of it. Sites like Flickr, DeviantArt, old Cosplay.com are too gallery-ish, and that made it difficult to really connect with others and make friends.

Kazukii
05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Will we still get notifications for when we get PM's?

Andserkiel
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I know a lot of people who stopped using cos.com as they found it slow and awkward to manage their accounts, the photo-uploading in particular wasn't popular. These changes look like it will make everything a lot easier and hopefully bring people back to the site. I even let my own account get out of date due to finding other sites easier and quicker to work with. I'm looking forward to testing the new features.

AutisticAlice
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I can't believe some of you people- chance can be a good thing you know. ;P I'm not saying it's always a good thing, but you guys act like it's always going to be a bad thing.

ANYWAYS, Cosplay.com MASSIVELY needed to be redone- I've been a member for five years, and this is the first major site update I've seen. I'm looking forward to the new site! I'm going to get a bunch of friends to join, hopefully it'll get more active around here!

Also, question, since cosplayers lack such a medium- is the social networking improved any? Previously, the only form of social interaction was on the forums, and even then, it wasn't really "networking". Facebook has a vast amount of cosplayers on it because of the social aspects of it. Sites like Flickr, DeviantArt, old Cosplay.com are too gallery-ish, and that made it difficult to really connect with others and make friends.

I always had a hard time trying to upload... It was harder to figure out but seeing the new options makes me want to use it even more now. I can't wait until it's fully set up and running.

Like i said, normally I can't stand change but this one change looks VERY promising. :D

pink-lemonade
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
The updates look absolutely lovely! I really appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this. Can't wait to see the new layout in action! :)

pocky_penguin66
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Amazing! I can't wait! Adding photos to costumes and all that jazz was pretty difficult getting the hang of on here so I'm glad this will be updated. ♥ It looks great so far!

MoradoFlower
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Horray, cannot wait! Looks much cleaner!

Syagria
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I can't believe some of you people [...] but you guys act like [change] is always going to be a bad thing.

Uh... prior to your comment, there are 15 comments from users. Every single one is positive and enthusiastic about the new site changes. Am I reading the same thread you are?

Total Legend
05-08-2012, 01:57 PM
It's alright I guess. It still looks like something that was made in the 1990's/2000's.

Not bad, but not great either.

sandysaur
05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm so excited, it looks like it's going to be much easier to use. Uploading photos is always such a hassle, I can't wait to use the new system!

cactusmomma
05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Nice layout, but will this change fix the search engine bug that makes it so you can't search for things with apostrophes (ex: Assassin's Creed)? And will the search engine be able to handle abbreviations better? (ex: KOF ..many South American cosplayers like to do that one.)

Zetra
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I love this! Great job!
I agree, the fact that you guys are making changes for the better is great! Rather than making changes just for change sake, which a lot of sites tend to do. I'm also glad you're taking your time, the less you rush the better it will be I'm sure. <3

Ion
05-08-2012, 06:02 PM
If I am not mistaken, this new layout and upgrade allows for some "social network" functionality as well as the standard "Here are my photos and stuff". Pretty awesome. This change is definitely welcome by me.

patriciarakel
05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm really excited for the change. A lot of websites try to take what's working and change it and make it suck, but this actually looks really nice. On the current layout, I always have problems with uploading and managing things. It all just seemed to be a jumbled mess of ancient techniques, but this looks much easier to navigate!

Admin
05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
The new update is mostly about two things - making a fresh new layout, and removing some of the more notorious bugs in a few areas. Both of those things wind up making the site more modular in nature, so a costume is treated as a costume, a photo as a photo, a profile as a profile, etc. The old code hindered this because when an idea was implemented, it had to be written three different ways if, for a quick example, the idea incorporated a photo, a costume, and an event.

That being said, I'm sitting on a lot of code that is ready to start being dropped in after the redesign is finished. A few people mentioned social networking features - you will be able to follow other users and will have a place to view all of their updates on one page. The following part is ready with the layout and works already, who you are following/who is following you already appears on your profile, but the personal page to show followers' updates is in testing and will be open for everyone a few days after that. Each piece of the puzzle is going live in a specific and planned order. New features are mostly given a priority level of 2 where the old features are a priority level of 1.

So, step 1 is getting the new layout live across the site, which is where we are right now. Step 2 contains the new features which are finished but not fully ported over to the new layout yet - including the follow page and a new photo uploader with batch upload capability. ETA for all of step one is this week, ETA for all of step 2 is next week. :) After that is step 3 - all of the really fun stuff we've had in planning and early development for a while now. For a teaser, we're going to be seriously advancing the costume pages and event pages.

Sorry I'm not in here to answer as many questions as quickly as I'd like, we're short staffed today and tomorrow, so I'm doing double duty coding stuff and working with the store getting wigs out the door.

MDA
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm loving the new layouts. I have one little issue with the layout for viewing photos though.

Can we keep CosCom from being a popularity contest like deviantART and not have the amount of favourites a picture has showing? Is there a way we could keep that private?

Viveeh
05-09-2012, 05:21 AM
So we're not getting a bigger PM inbox? The 150 messages one is tiny.

I also don't think the number of favorites a photo has is important.

mirrorsaber
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Its a nice layout and I think it will work for the most part. But what I would like to see is mods moderating more on topics posted in areas such as off topic forum and general cosplay chat. Sometimes the threads get waay out of controll and no one reacts quickly enough and sometimes don't get deleted. No offense.

Anyway, I hope everything will be organized better.

DcastEye
05-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Looking forward to when the whole site gets republish. This looks great and much cleaner than before :)

sunseenli
05-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Actually, reading these comments reminds me of one of the few problems I had with the site: if I searched for "Sailor Moon", for example, I got EVERY single costume that had "Sailor" in the name (Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Popeye the Sailor Man, etc) AND every single costume that had Moon in the name. Will there be a way to make the search more specific?

Pirogoeth05
05-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Actually, reading these comments reminds me of one of the few problems I had with the site: if I searched for "Sailor Moon", for example, I got EVERY single costume that had "Sailor" in the name (Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Popeye the Sailor Man, etc) AND every single costume that had Moon in the name. Will there be a way to make the search more specific?

I know I saw the Admin reply to another similar question. I think they said there will be more specific searching when the site if fully up and running.

Admin
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM

The search engine is a boolean search, so putting a + before each word would correct this. Searching for +Sailor +Moon would make sure both words are included.

sunseenli
05-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh, neat! I did not know that. Thank you!

Hylian Jean
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
The search engine is a boolean search, so putting a + before each word would correct this. Searching for +Sailor +Moon would make sure both words are included.

Ooh, man.. All this time using the site and I never knew that. It'd be handy to put that tip somewhere near the search.

Right now I'm happy to see so many menus and options being streamlined. The old site was such a labyrinth.

A couple of questions:
1) Is there still going to be a place where users can see the numbers of views and comments on their images without going to each image? I did like being able to see that data beside thumbnails.

2) Will there be instructional info on the size requirements for photos where we can see it when we go to upload? It used to be a huge pain to try to figure out how big I could actually make my images before the site would accept them.

Thanks for doing these updates! I hope they'll make using the site a more comfortable experience.

FinalEVA
05-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Will there be any way of easily finding out if there are replies to comments that you made on people's images? Like if I ask a how to question or something in the comment section of their image, I would like to be able to go there without having to find it again manually.

TheCosplayFox
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
I have possibly an odd question. I'm normally on coscom mobilly that's all i have time for since i do a lot of my internet browsing mobillay and the new interfacing is terrible on my phone. Not that the otger one was ideal or anything but it was more ideal. Is there any chance of their being some sort of mobile version of the website or an app in the future?

ffviki
05-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Looks great so far! I see people are talking about using + in front of search items....but I've seen other cosplay sites with options like "Search by character", "search by series", etc. Could we expect something like that in the future? :D

Daiseko
05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
o.o;
Is there still a marketplace for members to sell and buy from one another?

Admin
05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
o.o;
Is there still a marketplace for members to sell and buy from one another?

There is a marketplace forum down the page a bit, which is getting a lot of activity. We are revisiting the marketplace as a separate section after the other layout projects are finished.

Admin
05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
options like "Search by character", "search by series", etc. Could we expect something like that in the future? :D
Yes on both, these are features that will be in the expansion after the initial layout completion.

Daiseko
05-12-2012, 08:09 AM
There is a marketplace forum down the page a bit, which is getting a lot of activity. We are revisiting the marketplace as a separate section after the other layout projects are finished.
Oh, thank you!

Kazukii
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I do hope one change you plan to fix is updating the conventions sub forum. There are a lot of out of date cons, Anizona, Ani-Magic, etc, and ones that dont even happen anymore. I've been trying to get some sort of response on a new one for Arizona - currently has AniZona, for a good year now and it hasn't happened.

Admin
05-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I do hope one change you plan to fix is updating the conventions sub forum.

Every event in the calendar will have its own forum setup, organized from within the calendar itself. It's not occurring in the current update but will be happening shortly after.

ffviki
05-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow...this all sounds so amazing! Thank you so much for your quick and specific replies!!

TKI
05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Seems like theres no way of knowing when you receieve a private message now because it doesn't tell you.. will this be changed?

keybladezolo
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
The new layout is amazing. The neat mouseover menu bar feels especially convenient and shiny. It looks like most of the site has been remade and I just want to say that I can see the amount of effort the staff has put into this and I appreciate it. :D