PDA

View Full Version : Winter photoshoot?

Mage
01-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Perhaps I'm just dense, but I'm not sure where the old thread about this went.

I think the last date mentioned was sometime in the February 6-8th weekend and, as that is coming up very soon, am just bringing it up again for discussion. If everyone's cooled on this idea, then it doesn't need to happen at all, but I don't think anything was really settled upon.

If it's that weekend, I probably can't make it, but that's fine so long as it's convenient for other people. I don't have any new costumes finished, anyway. :(

dani
01-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm always eager to jump in front of a camera. The only problem is that by my schedule it's a lot easier to participate if it's done on a weekday. I understand that's opposite most people's schedules.
So count me in as a YES for a weekday, and as a MAYBE for a weekend.

seeyou

Dani

Minakolabelle
01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I can't make it either now, oh well *shrugs*

Scoti
01-27-2004, 06:10 PM
for some reason thought it was later in February and I don't remember anyone agreeing on a location so if I missed something please fill me in ^ ^;;

Infini
01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
I think the earlier thread just died because no one could really settle on a date or location. I can make it any time as long as the weather is decent, so I was leaving the decision up to the people with schedules. I'm still interested, and all I need is some notice so that I can dig my car out of my snow pile.

Saffi
01-28-2004, 12:54 AM
My only problem with a photoshoot is travel from Cambridge... I'd love to join in.. maybe get a few pics of a new cossy...

But again.. the whole hour long travel thing by car.. twice that by bus (which is what i have to take) is my issue...

other than that.. i'd be willing to join, weather permitting, if we could get specifics set up.

-saff

Infini
01-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Saffi, I can give you a drive if you like. I live in the Galt area of Cambridge. :)

Scoti
01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
did anyone offer to organize this thing? I wouldn't mind helping if needed.
Personally I would wait till the end of February because it’s been way too cold for anything outside.

Infini
01-28-2004, 10:47 PM
did anyone offer to organize this thing? I wouldn't mind helping if needed.
Personally I would wait till the end of February because itís been way too cold for anything outside.

Feel free to organize the whole thing! No one else has offered yet. I think people were mostly just throwing ideas around, since a lot of schedules were conflicting, and a place/time couldn't be decided on.

The end of February sounds good to me, and gives costumeless people a bit of time to come up with something.

-Infini

Saffi
01-29-2004, 02:42 AM
O.o could there possibly be an indoor place to take pics? As far as right now, my current new costume that i want some more pics on, doesn't do well out in the cold.. as it only really half covers me.

urm.. yeah.. i might be able to get a costume that's warmer done if the meet is closer to the end of the month.. but if it's next weekend like the beginning of the thread said... then i'll need somewhere indoors *shivers* brrrrrrrr

*grin*

-saff

Mage
01-29-2004, 12:28 PM
The problem with somewhere indoors is that we'd need a large enough place to take pictures, one that wouldn't kick us out for loitering there and somewhere public that we wouldn't have to rent.

It doesn't have to be next weekend...If everyone wants it to be at the end of the month, that works fine with me, since then it'll be my reading week and I'll actually be able to come home.

I don't want to organise this mostly because there's a good chance I won't be there...even Greyhound isn't cheap and I need to save up for the March conventions. =\

Chosuke
01-29-2004, 01:57 PM
I woudl rather do it later to, as I have other cosplay plans for that weekend.

xiola
01-29-2004, 02:13 PM
yeah... 6-8 is my monthly weekend in waterloo for anime club. ^^;; but i don't know if i can go either way so don't worry about me for planning... i still need to get a job so if i end up working on the given weekend i'm probably not going to book it off since i need it... ^^;;

Mage
01-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I'll likely be in Mississauga the weekend of Feb. 13th, but I probably won't get into Toronto until midnight on the Friday and then I'll be leaving midday Sunday in order to get back to Ottawa for my morning classes on Monday. My reading week is the week after that (the 23rd to 27th) so any day (including weekdays) from the 21st to the 28th (inclusive) would be fine for me. Preferrably somewhere indoors or somewhere *sheltered* outdoors (like a quadrangle or something).

High Park was the most suggested place during the last thread, but I'm not sure there's much there *indoors* and one issue would be having somewhere to change into costume (I'm assuming most people wouldn't be travelling to the venue in costume, if given a choice). It's a nice place and I'd still like to take pictures there, but are there any suggestions for alternative places, especially indoor ones?

dani
01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I live very close to High Park. This is definitely not the time to be shooting outdoors in that area. The only indoor open building I know of is the restaurant and I don't see it as very convenient for a shoot or for getting in costume. That area is best utilized in the sping, with all the lake and the beach across the road.

I'll keep thinking for indoor places...

Dani

Infini
01-29-2004, 06:19 PM
How about the last friday or weekend of February? Most people seem busy at the beginning of the month, and that would give us sufficient time to find a good indoor/outdoor picture location.

Any objections?

-Infini

Scoti
01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
well as far as indoor places I can't think of very many but I did find this place called
the Allan Gardens Conservatory
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/parks_gardens/allangdns.htm

it says you have to call them for photography permits but I don't think you have to rent the place out

Lafiel
01-29-2004, 07:00 PM
As long as I know in advance and good directions are given I can probably make it no problem :)

Mia-P
01-29-2004, 09:06 PM
LOL I started the thread and I haven't checked back in months XD;;;

Kia
01-29-2004, 10:05 PM
well as far as indoor places I can't think of very many but I did find this place called
the Allan Gardens Conservatory
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/parks_gardens/allangdns.htm

it says you have to call them for photography permits but I don't think you have to rent the place out
Allan Gardens ... isn't that just a few blocks away from Ryerson? I could have sworn that I've walked by that place a few times this year..
If it is then a know from a friend that the interiors are really very lovely. If you can get a permit I think it would be a really good choice. ^_^

Sarcasm-hime
01-29-2004, 11:30 PM
The conservatory (near Jarvis & Church IIRC) is a FANTASTIC idea! Woot! Yeah, if we can get a permit that would be fabulous. XD

Infini
01-30-2004, 01:27 AM
That sounds like a great indoor photo place if we can sort things out and try to find out about wearing costumes/carrying props(?) and whether they would agree to that or not.

Does it cost money for a permit, or do you just have to ask? If I lived in TO I would go and get the information to put up here, but I don't...

-Infini

lainey
01-30-2004, 08:21 AM
photography permits are for weddings :D

it's so that you are GUARANTEED that spot for pics!
like for your wedding in the summer, you don't want to just walk into a park and HOPE that another bride has taken your favourite spot!

that's why you pay for a permit.

we don't need a permit :D

so the place is indoors...?
if it is...i may come...because i heard it was going to be outdoors...no can do O_o

dani
01-30-2004, 08:31 AM
photography permits are for weddings :D
it's so that you are GUARANTEED that spot for pics!
like for your wedding in the summer, you don't want to just walk into a park and HOPE that another bride has taken your favourite spot!
that's why you pay for a permit.
we don't need a permit :D
It wouldn't hurt to call anyways, so they are on the loop with our plans. And maybe to ask what's the least busy time.

I'm sure they are used to deal with weddings but not with cosplayers, so if it is a reasonable amount I'd consider paying for a permit anyways. If we go by THEIR rules we might make it easier for them to swallow the idea of a group of people running around in costumes.

Just an idea...

Dani

Mage
01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I agree with Dani. It's better for us to make sure things are okay beforehand than have to deal with potential problems once we all get there. ^_^

So so far the tentative info is:

Date: February 27, 28 or 29
Place: Allan Gardens Conservatory (see link posted by Scoti above)

Should we wait until we have a rough estimate of how many people are going before we phone them? I'd phone, but it'd be long distance. x_x;

Chosuke
01-30-2004, 04:14 PM
The conservatory looks awesome, if i'm allowed..i'll come.

dani
01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
I called the Permits Office ..... it was closed already :(

Can I work for the city too?

Oh, well.... there is always monday...

Dani

Sarcasm-hime
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Now I have to figure out what to wear. ROFL. What don't I have good pics of? Emerald EGL....Arwen...Morpheus...Windy...? Hmmm.

Ryukka
01-30-2004, 06:05 PM
26 is bad for me, since its a close friends birthday, but if it doesn't fall then, then I'm likely to be alloud to come ^_^. The Conservatory looks like an awsome place to have it aswell.

Kia
01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
26 is bad for me, since its a close friends birthday, but if it doesn't fall then, then I'm likely to be alloud to come ^_^. The Conservatory looks like an awsome place to have it aswell.
I'm sorry if I sound rude, but do you mean the 29th? The 26th is a thursday... which would be odd to have a photoshoot on a weekday.

Don't know if I even have a costume to bring to this ...

nyamiko_chan
01-30-2004, 07:14 PM
>O> get your butt in gear and bring Rogue lol..j/k Kia ^_~

Maybe I'll come to this =O I might have gunner Paine done..without a gun ^O^ happy =_=;
I'll have to ponder on this and see how the weather is ^_~ I don't wanna freeze in leggings X_x

dani
02-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey all

Just hang up with the permits office:

"Hi. I'm part of a group that does costumes as a craft and we are looking to have a photography session at one of your indoor parks"

"That's not an acceptable use. The only permits are issued to weddings"

"You mean we can't go there and take pics of ourselves with the park as background?"

"nope"

"!#@$!#@$!@#$!@#$!@#$!#@"

CLICK

Maybe someone else can get further than that.....

Dani

Lafiel
02-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Hmm Maybe try to call again and say we are a wedding :)
its just a costume wedding! :)

I can wear my Dress from the movie Legend and say I'm the bride:D

Kitsune_Youkai
02-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Make it on a weekend at the end of Febuary, and I might make it. But I don't know of any good spots

dani
02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Maybe the matter needs to be pushed further. I wasn't given a reasonable explanation of the answer, and I don't think we would be breaking any laws or bylaws with our plan.

I was shocked by the robotic tone of the person I spoke with and I felt it would have been futile to argue with her. WE just need to go to the next level, whatever it might be.

Cheers...
Dani

Lafiel
02-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Well its awesome you are putting work into getting this place.
If there was anyway I could help I would... but I"m horrible over the phone.

lainey
02-02-2004, 05:24 PM
i tried calling too...
but it was closed LOL

well the key word they said...was PROFESSIONAL photography that is.

and mind u, wedding permits charge you by the HOUR...so i don't suggest we pay for that...hehe.

Kia
02-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Maybe the matter needs to be pushed further. I wasn't given a reasonable explanation of the answer, and I don't think we would be breaking any laws or bylaws with our plan.

I was shocked by the robotic tone of the person I spoke with and I felt it would have been futile to argue with her. WE just need to go to the next level, whatever it might be.

Cheers...
Dani

If I had the time (which I'm sorry everyone, I really don't) I would actually walk there and talk to the people myself, in person. But I don't see myself having the time to do so any time soon. Sorry, I wish you guys all the luck it getting this thing together, since it sounds like the people at Allan Gardens don't want to be of any help at all. :sulk:

BTW- just wondering, I know that if this thing gets pulled together that we'd have plenty of people turning up to have their picture taken, but who would actually do the picture taking for us? Anyone know any photographers we could bully into coming? ^_^

dani
02-02-2004, 06:18 PM
If I had the time (which I'm sorry everyone, I really don't) I would actually walk there and talk to the people myself, in person. But I don't see myself having the time to do so any time soon. Sorry, I wish you guys all the luck it getting this thing together, since it sounds like the people at Allan Gardens don't want to be of any help at all.
The permits office is centralized, and it's not at the venue itself but at an undisclosed govt building. There is a chance that going in person one would be told to contact the permits office anyways.

BTW- just wondering, I know that if this thing gets pulled together that we'd have plenty of people turning up to have their picture taken, but who would actually do the picture taking for us? Anyone know any photographers we could bully into coming?
I'm no photographer but if I go I'll take my digital, so I assume everyone would shoot everyone else and take turns in front and behind the shutter.

Letsee...

Dani

Scoti
02-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Dani I don’t think it’s a good idea to push the matter because even if they did let us in they would do their best to give us a hard time a.k.a not informing the rest of there staff that we’re coming who would then turn us away.

I had a feeling this was going to happen right after I suggested the place but I can't think of any indoor places around here who wouldn't mind this sort of thing.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/parks_gardens/garden_index.htm

this is the link to the other indoor gardens in Toronto but I’m guessing it will be the same response. As for the robotic tone, the person who you were talking to must have had similar calls before lol Or maybe it was the way the question was presented that made her uninterested. I think I may try one of these other gardens and phrase it this way:

“hello there I’d would first like to say how amazing your facility is! I heard about your garden through a friend of mine who recently visited and she was telling me about your impressive collection of plant life. Because of this I was wondering if you would allow a small group of “costuming students” (*cough*) to use your facility as a background for a photoshoot. (Insert garden here) will be advertised on our main website (which I will link as a thank you) and all of the photos taken will have your location in the description”

Kia, you bring up a good point about who's taking the pictures lol funny how that was never discussed until now.

dani
02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
this is the link to the other indoor gardens in Toronto but Iím guessing it will be the same response.
.... I think I may try one of these other gardens and phrase it this way:...
I spoke with the CENTRALIZED office for all Toronto gardens, not with one specific garden.
Please do call them, I wish you better luck than mine :)

Dani

Sarcasm-hime
02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Maybe if we emphasize that we're amateurs and will not be making any profits off this...?

dani
02-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I just sopke with Casa Loma. They told me the following:

There are 2 timeslots for pictures: 9:30 to 11:30 at $200 and 12:00 to 2pm at $300. The fees are for the whole group and we wouln't have to pay individual entrance tickets.

We would have access to the conservatory only ( the nice room) and not to the other areas. There is a washroom but no change facilities.
Other turists will have access to the room, but will be asked not to interfere with the shoot.

And of course a weekday is a lot less busy than a weekend. So depending how many people can we get together it might be too expensive or not...

How does it look?

Dani

Chosuke
02-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I could probably drag a few photographer friends with me.
Week day is a bad idea, at least in my opinion.
99% of my cosplay friends go to school or work during the week.

Kia
02-03-2004, 02:53 PM
I just sopke with Casa Loma. They told me the following:

There are 2 timeslots for pictures: 9:30 to 11:30 at $200 and 12:00 to 2pm at $300. The fees are for the whole group and we wouln't have to pay individual entrance tickets.

We would have access to the conservatory only ( the nice room) and not to the other areas. There is a washroom but no change facilities.
Other turists will have access to the room, but will be asked not to interfere with the shoot.

And of course a weekday is a lot less busy than a weekend. So depending how many people can we get together it might be too expensive or not...

How does it look?

Dani

Thank you so much for looking into that .... but $200-300! WOW!! ...... this is one of those things that people have to commit to... otherwise a single person could get stuck with the bill if other people don't turn up...yikes!

dani
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Thank you so much for looking into that .... but $200-300! WOW!! ......
Nice places are nice because somebody is taking care of them, and that takes money. Even more, in winter we are looking into indoor places and any indoor area you can think of (mall, tourist attraction, etc) is run as a private enterprise by somebody (who pays a looot for property taxes) and we'll be charged for the use.

So unless somebody here has a rich friend wth a private solarium (not my case) I doubt we'll be going far...

On the other hand, with Tac and AdAstra so close... aren't those events good enough for shoots?

Or the cosplay meetups?

Dani

Chosuke
02-03-2004, 03:31 PM
heh.. you know what.
If its going to be inside, we might as well wait for a con.
I was really only interested in getting good snow pictures.
And not all of us have jobs to pay for a big place anyway, even if it is just ten dollars.
I'm a poor highschool student.

Kia
02-03-2004, 04:28 PM
heh.. you know what.
If its going to be inside, we might as well wait for a con.
I was really only interested in getting good snow pictures.
And not all of us have jobs to pay for a big place anyway, even if it is just ten dollars.
I'm a poor highschool student.
Dude, I'm $10,000 in student debt. There's no large amounts of cash comming from me any time soon. ^_^ Sorry.
But Dani, I do understand your points. It's just a shame that it costs *us* so much, but I do understand why.

Kisa
02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Well, I wanted pretty outside-with-snow photos too, so I guess i'll just go haunt the castles and churches and campus around here for some on my own, or drag a few people to keep me company.
Now that I know two people with decent digi-cams I can whore myself out properly. And save 60$ on bus tickets... -_-'

I don't think paying for something is really the way to go, especially since you CAN find nice places in hotels and halls at the cons anyway. I'll just be bringing my heavy winter jacket to huddle in after. I figure if models and movie stars can survive, so can I!

nyamiko_chan
02-03-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm just wondering *_*, but why -not- have one outside and dres warm under the costume ^^?? Then us cosplayers could go out for coffe, tea, hot chocolate :ponder:

On a nice snowy day with the flakes =D It'd be uber pretty!!

Just a suggestion ^_^\\//

Scoti
02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm sure there is a way of doing this outside. hopefully by the end of the month it will be a bit warmer because -2/-3 isn't that bad if you have a well covered costume ( can't speak for all those mai-type people out there XD )

but it would be nice to have snow pics ^_^

dani
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Well... If the idea was for outdoors there is always High Park, and my backyard for that matter. Since this started brewing when we had -30 I assumed we were looking for an indoors place.

As I said before, I live relatively close by from High Park. If anyone wants pics I could run there with my little digicam and shot a few. Just a matter of synchronizing.

Enjoy...

Dani

Infini
02-03-2004, 10:53 PM
I think an outdoor photoshoot is a lot simpler and cheaper. The only issue I had with it was finding somewhere to get changed, really. Indoor was a nice idea because some people had costumes that weren't exactly suited to outdoor weather, but the original idea was for a 'snowy' backdrop, right?

High park sounds like a good idea to me, but as I mentioned the only problem I see is getting changed.

As for taking pictures, I agree with people taking turns behind the camera. My only problem is that, since I haven't had many photos taken of me since I was a kid, I just don't know how to stand, or what looks nice in a picture. Is anyone coming that could maybe help with this? I would like to get some decent costume pictures without wasting too much film... :)

Sarcasm-hime
02-04-2004, 02:01 AM
High park is also close to me so I'm fine with that. There are a number of very nice locations, including a picturesque gazebo, that would be great for photos.

Saffi
02-04-2004, 02:06 AM
As far as I go, I'm hoping to have a warmer costume done in time for this.. and if not, I can freeze to some extent and just bring a nice warm coat and snow pants to wear over my costume except for the few pics i'd be daring enough to have taken...

For me appearing.. It depends on if we can get Infini dug out cuz she said that I could catch a ride with here.. *hoping that offer's still open* :-D

yeah.. hope I have a warm costume *grin*

-saff

Infini
02-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Of course the offer is still open! I started looking for my car yesterday, and got it about halfway out of the snowbank. Another 4 hours of shoveling and it should be ready to go. :)
-----
Warm costumes are excellent. I just finished repairs to my Inuyasha costume so that it would look nicer and be warmer. I'm a little disappointed that I won't be able to afford contacts and fangs in time though. I need that money for my car's emission test. Feh. ¨_¨
-----
So, any suggestions when to have this? I mentioned a few days on the last weekend of February so that people could decide whether they were too soon or not.

dani
02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
I know I'm Mr. Against-the-grain with my weekdays-only availability, but here is what I can offer, just in case it is useful to somebody:

As I'm only a 5 minute ride away from High Park (south side), I offer my place if someone wants to get in costume before getting there. So we would meet here, take turns in the washroom, drive there for the pics, and maybe come back here to get to your civvies. The place is not too big so it might work for a group of about 4 people.

Now the limitations: it can only be tue-wed-thur, not in march break, starting no earlier than 10am and ending no later than 2pm including coming back to switch to reg clothes.

It might not be what most people need, but I offer what I can...

Let me know....

Dani

Mage
02-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I thought of this earlier, but not so sure if it would be well-received or not, since it might very well be crazy.

Heki-chan suggested MacMaster in the last thread...

...and I think maybe UofT would be another alternative. Being at UofOttawa, the concrete university, has given me a new appreciation of just how much open space there is at the St. George campus...I mean, the architecture and quadrangles and residences and such look darn nice. Sure, there'd probably be random students running around, but it is central, it's on the subway line, I don't think anyone would care if we took pictures there...

But wow, opinions can swing pretty wildly...first it was "ack, cold bad, no outside" now "inside boring, go snow." XP I'm all for taking pictures outside, even if I freeze. I'm willing to bet that Toronto's weather is going to seem pretty mild compared to what I'm used to now (especially when I wake up late and rush to class in whatever I can grab :P).

Again, I'm cool with whatever the consensus is and, if it's during my reading week, a weekday would be fine as well. It's really a shame that university reading weeks aren't more consistent. (and hey, if I can't make it, it's cheaper for me to go and hang out with Kisa in K-town, if she doesn't mind :))

Sarcasm-hime
02-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm also cool with U of T...and would be far more comfortable as one of a gang of crazy cosplayers than just hanging around there in costume by myself...lol

But yeah, there are lots of picturesque archways and such that would be good for photos.

Kia
02-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm also cool with U of T...and would be far more comfortable as one of a gang of crazy cosplayers than just hanging around there in costume by myself...lol

But yeah, there are lots of picturesque archways and such that would be good for photos.
:( Why couldn't Ryerson look like U of T ... Ryerson is ugly....
Only thing I'm afraid of with having my picture taken at U of T is that I might run into someone I know.... not that that's really a problem, but just a little awkward. :: shrug :: Oh well! ^_^

Infini
02-04-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm okay with anywhere, as long as I can find it on a map. The only issue we still have is somewhere warm to get changed. Wouldn't they have a problem with a bunch of non-university of toronto people running around on campus? I'm not familiar with university rules, or whatever.

-Infini

Saffi
02-05-2004, 01:16 AM
The university campuses sound great! i've been on campus for tours and I have admired some of their achitecture... My only available times are friday-sunday, as i work 12:30 pm- 11pm monday through thursday... so yeah... pretty much complete opposite to Dani... sorry...

Hopefully we can get things to work out..
-saff

lainey
02-05-2004, 08:39 AM
yeah...my friends and i are planning to hit UofT for a photoshoot close to the summer.

You guys I'm always around campus...I know the most beautiful spots...
specifically University college....and definitely inside it..
and Hart House...

and OHH it's so pretty there

zoinomiko
02-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I didn't bring any costumes to school with me this year (d'oh!), but if we do this on the UofT campus I'd be happy to come as a photographer, since I live three blocks away.

Also, if anyone is interested in having a photoshoot at UofT sometime after mid-March, I'll have a Rose of Versailles costume that really needs pictures taken at UC or Trin. :)

Kisa
02-05-2004, 06:19 PM
I (and hey, if I can't make it, it's cheaper for me to go and hang out with Kisa in K-town, if she doesn't mind :))

You're always welcome here darling! It has some pretty pretty places for photos and I have friends with digi-cams who wouldn't mind getting together for mini-photoshoots.