PDA

View Full Version : Toph Bei Fong Cosplay: Accuracy vs. Appearance

oriental_joker
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
This summer I'm planning on cosplaying Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender at Otakon. I'm really excited and I really want to pull off this cosplay BUT I have a problem.

The first --> the costume is accurate and the fabric looks comfortable

The second --> it's the cosplay from hellocosplay.com. The fabric is polyester+Cotton+silk according to the site. It's very shiny and it looks amazing.

Should I stick to the first cosplay for accuracy? Toph doesn't wear a shiny outfit. Her outfit is kind of meant to look slightly plain, but the second cosplay looks much better appearance-wise.

What do you guys think?

patriciarakel
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
PLEASE don't get a shiny fabric cosplay. It doesn't photograph well with different camera qualities and lighting. It almost always comes off looking cheap. It's almost a cosplay taboo with some people. You're asking about accuracy vs. appearance, but, honestly, in my opinion, the first one has both, while the second has neither. Of course, you didn't post pictures of the cosplays in question, but, especially since you're buying your costume and not making it, I would always go with the one that's most accurate.

EDIT: I looked at the second on, and my before-stated comment holds true. They obviously photographed that costume with a high quality camera. Yes, it might look nice in pictures, but it won't look like that when you get it. It won't look like that when you take a picture of it with a digital camera, which is what most people have.