PDA

View Full Version : California, Inland Empire: Japan Fair @ UCR!

allyunion
01-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Attention all Southern California cosplayers, especially you members out in Riverside! Several clubs with the association of ASUCR will be holding a Japan Fair on the UCR campus. The exact date is being determined but I will keep everyone posted. It will be likely at the end of March or early April.

However, I would like the support of the cosplaying community if they can come out to show part of the Japanese culture!

Update: Feb 26, 2004

I've been informed that this will be held like a convention, but it will be FREE (in terms of attendance, aside from any parking fees you may encounter).

There will be Japanese food vendors in addition to dealers from the surrounding area that sell Anime goods, music and etc. There will be local guests of honor from the surrounding area as well, like the English voice actors. We hope that maybe there is a chance for some other guests of honor... but I don't know. There will be two rooms on campus devoted to showing latest anime, and other events as well. The event will be held two days on a weekend on campus.

Emiko
01-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Sugoi!!! I'll go if I'm not busy on that day. I'm only about 40 minutes from Riverside.

Fallen_Magician
01-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Hmm...I might be able to go....I just need information....

Like Where it is,What Time, and What Day it is.

then I'll see if i can go or not.

allyunion
01-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Time and Day will be posted as soon as a schedule conflict is resolved. The place is the University of California, Riverside, roughly around where the 215 meets the 60 and the 91.

Off the 60/215: Take the University Avenue Exit
Off the 91: Take the University Avenue Exit

When you get off the exits, head away from Downtown Riverside...

allyunion
01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Here is a link to the location: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=University+of+California%2C+Riverside&city=Riverside&state=CA&zipcode=92507&submit=Get+Map

Again, as soon as a certain matter is resolved with ASUCR (Associated Students of UCR), the time and day is unknown. I will keep everyone informed.

Fallen_Magician
01-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Ok...let me check with my sources, and I'll see if i can go or not.

LandersBard
01-29-2004, 11:40 PM
I live in Norco but am not in that afformentioned group :P

allyunion
02-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I live in Norco but am not in that afformentioned group :P

Even if you're not... come out anyway. I just was mentioning Norco, CA since my Aikido teacher's dojo is out there... and maybe his students who might be on this site will come as well...

tina maxwell
02-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Hello!
I would first like to introduce myself as the president of Otaku United, the anime club at Poly High.
please keep me informed, so I may keep my club informed.
I have a few questions.
Will it cost to get in? If so, how much? And do we have to cosplay?
I hope you can answer my questions as best you can. Thank you, best wishes. :chatah:

Suzushichan
02-03-2004, 01:56 AM
I'll go just to cosplay... '_'

Fallen_Magician
02-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Well...I'm going to try my best to go there...There's a 50/50 chance I'll be there tho...considering that I live in Concord >_<

allyunion
02-04-2004, 03:30 AM
Hello!
I would first like to introduce myself as the president of Otaku United, the anime club at Poly High.
please keep me informed, so I may keep my club informed.
I have a few questions.
Will it cost to get in? If so, how much? And do we have to cosplay?
I hope you can answer my questions as best you can. Thank you, best wishes. :chatah:

This is an event which will be held at UCR. Basically, it will be the promotion of the Japanese culture and clubs at UCR. No cost will be necessary, but the only reason I've posted it here on Cosplay.com is to let people know that the event will be coming up soon... once final arrangements are made.

Additionally, like I stated above, I would like to show off the cosplay culture in Japan by getting people from Cosplay.com in the Inland Empire to go and cosplay.

More info on the exact date will be coming soon.

krystal1314
02-04-2004, 05:46 PM
I go to UCR, so I'll prolly be able to go... but prolly not gonna cosplay tho' LoL ^^;

allyunion
02-05-2004, 05:45 AM
>> but prolly not gonna cosplay tho' LoL ^^;

If it's too much trouble... I can understand. Oh come on now, I'm going to go as Yahiko... big bright yellow with a green hakama... that just screams look at me. Like I'm going to really care. It's college, not high school.

Anyway... a simple version of your Kairi could work... if you just don't feel like standing out...

krystal1314
02-06-2004, 04:17 AM
Anyway... a simple version of your Kairi could work... if you just don't feel like standing out...

I would, but I gave that costume to my cousin... :thumbsup: LoL
But yea, I'll prolly be stopping by :)

Ashe
02-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Haha, I'll come. I go to school at UCR though, so I won't be cosplaying for fear someone will recognize me. =p

allyunion
02-07-2004, 04:03 AM
-.-

Ashley & Krystal... vanity is overrated... oh well... I suppose I have to brave it alone... :eeek:

Like wearing a kimono would make you any different... assuming if you had a simple one...

krystal1314
02-07-2004, 05:54 AM
Haha, I'll come. I go to school at UCR though, so I won't be cosplaying for fear someone will recognize me. =p

Oh wow you go to UCR too? I didn't know that XD Cool :)

allyunion
02-07-2004, 09:09 AM
<- Also attends UCR... and will be wearing his Yahiko with his hair up to all his classes...

Emiko
02-07-2004, 12:28 PM
oh my gosh, allyunion... i always thought you were a girl... :thumbsup:
You won't be the only cosplayer there. I'll be wearing a costume, probably the CCS school uniform. :)

Rogue Marvel
02-07-2004, 06:30 PM
this sounds mega cool and I go to school in riverside so I should defenitly be able to go and cosplay.

If the date works out all get my school anime club to come too

allyunion
02-07-2004, 07:32 PM
oh my gosh, allyunion... i always thought you were a girl... :thumbsup:
You won't be the only cosplayer there. I'll be wearing a costume, probably the CCS school uniform. :)

I get that a lot from the 'ally' part of the name... :thumbsup:

tina maxwell
02-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I get that a lot from the 'ally' part of the name... :thumbsup: free donut yahiko? i remember you! i got a donut from you and i told my friends! coolies!!! :chatah: :heart: :heart:

Hypertexed
02-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Not to far from me at all, I will also attend

Suzushichan
02-08-2004, 01:53 AM
I may come as Utena...

Hypertexed
02-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Does any on here know any of the kucr 88.3 FM people Preferable kevin (also my teacher) or sonic D.

allyunion
02-10-2004, 06:34 AM
I don't...

tina maxwell
02-10-2004, 10:35 PM
hey, do you know when its gonna be? like maybe the month at least? i have a whole club anxious to know when it is. we wanna make a field trip out of it.

tina maxwell
02-10-2004, 10:36 PM
btw, if i can finish my costume in time, im gonna go as chii whee!!!

allyunion
02-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, the person who is suppose to tell me is also waiting for the date... I'm itching to know myself...

tina maxwell
02-11-2004, 01:12 AM
cool. i have so much to do, homework, and costume, and fundraisers, oh my...

allyunion
02-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Well, this might be something that might be held during your school time... is there any problems if that happens?

Rogue Marvel
02-12-2004, 06:42 PM
don't know..migh actually be able to turn it into a real feld trip if that happens

tina maxwell
02-12-2004, 10:13 PM
don't know..migh actually be able to turn it into a real feld trip if that happens
i know, thats the beauty of it. we could probably meet there...

allyunion
02-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Okay, it looks like this will be a two-day event on the weekend on a Saturday and Sunday... but not this quarter of college, since it is the 6th week out of the 10 weeks. So expect this be somewhere around next month, in the middle of March or something.

tina maxwell
02-18-2004, 01:44 AM
yay!!!!!!!

Gash
02-20-2004, 03:15 PM
This sounds pretty cool. I used to go to UCR. So maybe I'll drop by, might even run in to some old buddies. :D

xfallenangelx
02-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi, I'm the vice president of my Anime club at my high school, once I know the date and time I'm pretty sure I can gather up a decent sized group. I hope its on the weekend. Please post the date and time as soon as you can so we can make the necessary arrangements.
~Anji
PS: Yay! another reason to cosplay! *busts out random Japanese-extra cosplay outfit out of closet*

Hypertexed
02-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Okay, it looks like this will be a two-day event on the weekend on a Saturday and Sunday... but not this quarter of college, since it is the 6th week out of the 10 weeks. So expect this be somewhere around next month, in the middle of March or something.
Do you know where it is going To be at on the campus?

tina maxwell
02-21-2004, 02:17 AM
im actually going as robin from WHR. whee!!!

allyunion
02-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Do you know where it is going To be at on the campus?
Around the Commons and the Clock Tower

Hypertexed
02-23-2004, 03:26 AM
Around the Commons and the Clock Tower
Would that be any where around the radio station?

allyunion
02-23-2004, 05:26 AM
No. The Radio Station is far away from the center of the campus. If you know where the Radio Station is, if you look in the distance, you can see the campus' Belltower. It's that big white thing smack in the middle of the campus. If you can find that, that's where you want to head off to.

http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=BELLT

Here's how to get from the Radio Station to the Bell Tower & Commons:
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=KUCR
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=A%26I
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=BRNHL
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=SURGE
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=COMMT
http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/mapit.cgi?loc=BELLT

Gash
03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Any news on what dates in March this is going to take place yet?

allyunion
03-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Sorry... my mistake... likely to be in Early April...

Delirium-Zer0
03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I am sooooo there. Cosplaying too. ^_^ Just dunno WHAT cosplay yet. x_X Any word on guests yet?

allyunion
03-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Nothing yet... I wish the people who are trying to work together would get their act together faster.

Moon Prince
03-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Hmmm.. I don't live too far.. I may be able to make it. I'm all for dressing up in costume. I even just do it for the heck of it sometimes... As long as it doesn't happen the same weekend of the picnic, I'll try to make it. My girlfriend is coming down for that. Long distance relationships suck. >< I'm leaving town for two weeks after that...

Hikaru_Ayanami
03-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Hmmm.. I don't live too far.. I may be able to make it. I'm all for dressing up in costume. I even just do it for the heck of it sometimes... As long as it doesn't happen the same weekend of the picnic, I'll try to make it. My girlfriend is coming down for that. Long distance relationships suck. >< I'm leaving town for two weeks after that...

i might come down for the weekend i live in Mo Val but i am curenlty in school at SD. any naruto going also are all u guys meating up togther or something cuz i dont really know any other cosplayer and i would to meat new people before going to AX which i think most of u people are going to go to. As for cosplay for UCR ehhh dont got anything i am working on a fullmetal alchemist cosplay. but i think i am going to wear my naruto head band cuz i always do every day.

allyunion
03-15-2004, 06:15 AM
I just hope this gathering doesn't fall on the same date as the picnic.

Delirium-Zer0
03-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Yikes, I hadn't thought of that till now o_O

allyunion
03-16-2004, 11:36 PM
No word on it yet... maybe it will be pushed back even further... who knows... Well, picnic is one day, Japan Fair is two.

allyunion
03-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Update: It looks like all the groups are cooperating, but they don't have a definate date. So... if it isn't anytime in April, it might be held next year instead.

Hypertexed
03-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Next year! Oh's No's!

Delirium-Zer0
03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
*sobs* next year? how depressing :(

allyunion
03-30-2004, 04:02 AM
Alright, I'm going to explain something about the Japan Fair and its inner workings so that you guys have a better understanding why it's been so slow.

First off, UCR has two anime clubs. They are fairly new, and the only resources available to them... simply put, is anime, anime music, and Japanese modern music. They don't have the funds to support this event alone... nor do they have the club size or volunteers.

Now, there several other organizations on campus, one such as the Asian Pacific Student Association. The other organizations on campus have the money, the people, and the resources to support and run the event.

So, what you have is the ASUCR (Associated Students of UCR), some major clubs with money, and the two anime clubs. These groups are attempting to pull together to host this event. What they are currently attempting to do is to found an inter-mural club... or some kind of agreement with Student Life (another organization on campus). It's like forming an organization based on representatives of different clubs so as an event is sponsored by all the clubs through the organization. This is obviously a very good deal agreement, between the clubs and the school, otherwise it would have not taken so long.

What it all means: Basically, in the end, the clubs get more money for pulling off an event such as Japan Fair, except it's an agreement to pull resources together to do so.

What it all means for YOU (attendees): A better Japan Fair. If it is held next year, then they have better planning and more money invested into the event.

So, if it doesn't happen around Mid-April, it will likely be postponed until next year. I'm sorry for all the hype about it, I really thought it would be held this year. Unless they rush and hurry to do it, we might not see anything.

piroko
04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I know the guy that is help setting it up, and it's been pushed around a lot. I think the intention is a Sakura Festival? Not sure. Dunno what to expect, and information about the event isn't really going anywhere (to my knowledge)

1. The anime clubs on campus are not new at all. Videoburn has been around since the 80s, but Greenwood Film Society was formed mid 90s.

2. What do you mean "resources available?" You wouldn't imagine how much stuff is available through the members of the club. Don't assume.
The club's purpose is also not to put on huge fairs that are beyond our league. "Japanese fair" is hardly "Japanese Animation" fair. It's true we dont have the budget nor enough manpower, but that is the why crew for the Japanese fair is supposed to link up many Japanese-based organizations to help the thing (like an inter-counsel thing).

3. This fair is NOT put on by the anime clubs. The anime clubs really dont even know about it. It is an entirely different thing.

Funny thing, they hardly even asked both the clubs to help. Go figure.

But...if the event is held, I'll be there and I'll wonder how many of you I'd be able to meet (or recognize ;) ).

tina maxwell
04-03-2004, 07:54 PM
hmm...
i just thought of something. i think the ASU(Asian Student Union) at my school doesnt like Otaku United (the anime club) that much.

allyunion
04-04-2004, 01:16 AM
2. What do you mean "resources available?" You wouldn't imagine how much stuff is available through the members of the club. Don't assume.
The club's purpose is also not to put on huge fairs that are beyond our league. "Japanese fair" is hardly "Japanese Animation" fair. It's true we dont have the budget nor enough manpower, but that is the why crew for the Japanese fair is supposed to link up many Japanese-based organizations to help the thing (like an inter-counsel thing).

Budget wise, that's what I primarily meant.

3. This fair is NOT put on by the anime clubs. The anime clubs really dont even know about it. It is an entirely different thing.

Funny thing, they hardly even asked both the clubs to help. Go figure.

But...if the event is held, I'll be there and I'll wonder how many of you I'd be able to meet (or recognize ;) ).

Don't look at me, I'm a messager and if I got my information wrong, sorry.

Kitty
04-18-2004, 11:16 PM
I am so there! just lemme know when I am not too far away I guess I willl go as Squall or hmmm one of my old school costumes.

HybridTwist
04-21-2004, 02:25 AM
Hey allyunion. I remember you talking to me about this, and if it's still a go, than I'll go. Even though I live in Santa Clarita (for the people that don't know, it's near Magic Mountain). If I can get the pants done in time, I'll go as Kyo from Fruits Basket.

Kitty
04-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Has then been any more info on this at all since the past 2 weeks?

piroko
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Personally, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.