PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a roomie

MelMuff
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I really need to budget now since I am going to Anime Revolution in Vancouver two weeks after Otakuthon so now I am looking for a roomie. I already have a reservation with the Travelodge Hotel for a one double bed from August 3 to 6. We would either have to share the bed or bring in a cot or something similar. Not sure if that is allowed so I will look into that. The roomie I am looking for MUST be female and a non-smoker. I will soon be 31 so I am also looking for someone closer to my age but that is not mandatory if you don't mind someone who is older. You must also be available for those dates I mentioned. The splitting price might differ upon arrival but from what I calculated for now, it would be $136.60 for 3 nights. So if you meet all the requirements and think that is affordable, please reply. Thanks.

naomi_censored
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I totally would be interested, but 137$ is still more than I could be paying... but if you can't find anyone else, maybe you'd be interested in me? I'm 21 (I'll be a few days shy of 22 come the con), I don't know if that's too young for you, though I personally prefer associating with older people so I have no issues. I'm non-smoker and female (obviously). :) I also need to budget because I'll be attending Fan Expo a few weeks after this con, so I don't want to run out of funds.

MelMuff
06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I totally would be interested, but 137$ is still more than I could be paying... but if you can't find anyone else, maybe you'd be interested in me? I'm 21 (I'll be a few days shy of 22 come the con), I don't know if that's too young for you, though I personally prefer associating with older people so I have no issues. I'm non-smoker and female (obviously). :) I also need to budget because I'll be attending Fan Expo a few weeks after this con, so I don't want to run out of funds.
I got a really good discount with the Travelodge before prices went up so I would rather keep my reservation but I will think about. Thanks.

MelMuff
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
I might also be dropping one night and staying until August 5 instead to save even more money. That would drop the price the splitting price to $40 for two nights.

naomi_censored
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
40$??? That's... extremely low. How much is the full price of the room for 2 nights at the rate you got it at? Did you get one of those expedia deals?

MelMuff
06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
40$??? That's... extremely low. How much is the full price of the room for 2 nights at the rate you got it at? Did you get one of those expedia deals?
I booked the Travelodge Hotel back in March. Back then, the going rate was $99 but I have a discount code with my college alumni so I managed to get the rate down to $79.20 a night before taxes. Not sure what the amount will be after taxes because I hail from Ontario and not use to the taxes in Quebec. Anyway, half of that is exactly $39.60 so I rounded it up to $40. I will cost more after taxes so I will call the hotel tomorrow to see if I can get a quote that includes taxes.

MelMuff
06-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I cannot believe what happened. My reservation was cancelled without my consent. Now I have no hotel to stay at in Montreal. I have no idea what I am going to do now.

naomi_censored
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
For god's sake! That's terrible, and very bad customer service indeed. Perhaps the credit card you used to make the reservation was compromised, and the compromiser cancelled the reservation? Hmm, definitely look into that, that's very strange.
However, you are welcome to share my budget room in the Hotel Villa. :) I know it's not as nice as the Travelodge, and it adds a couple of minutes to the walk to the convention, but it's cheap and clean, and it has a fridge! ^_^;; I have a reservation for Friday night and Saturday night; you'd be totally welcome. :)

MelMuff
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I have no idea what happened but I think my credit card is fine. I have had no issues with it with other reservations I made. As for what happened, I have two theories. When I made the reservation back in March, I actually made two, for April and August. But there seems to be some confusion and the guy who took care of my reservations ended up e-mailing me six times. At first both reservations had the same confirmation number and then he split them up with different numbers. So maybe he messed up my reservation back then. Or when I cancelled my reservation for April, my other one was cancelled at the same time. I had cancelled my trip and hotel for April as the event I was going to see is now coming to Ottawa later this year. Anyway, I am hoping to hear back from the hotel sometime today to clear up this matter but either way, it's too late as the hotel is now fully booked. :(

:) Thanks for your offer but I will need to think about it first though. Can you tell me how much it would cost per night with or without tax? Or if you can figure out how much the split would be? My backup plan is to drive home each day as I live just across the border in Ontario. I did this last year but it was no fun as the drive alone is close to 2 hours but I am used to it. I work in Ottawa and commute an just over an hour one way and back from work 5 days a week. But Montreal is a bit further away then Ottawa so I would rather stay in a hotel.

MelMuff
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
And thank you to you too. If you never responded to this post, I would never have known what had happened. I probably would have ended up at the hotel completely clueless as to what happened and then I really would have been in trouble.

MelMuff
06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
OMG!!! By some miracle, I got my reservation back. A mistake had been made when I initially made the reservation and I was told that it wasn't my fault. I just don't understand though how they found me a room when I was told over the phone last night that the hotel was fully booked. They must keep some roomes aside then for emergencies or something. I am just glad that things are fixed now. I have a new confirmation number and e-mail. They also gave me the same rate of $79.20. I am glad that I no longer have to worry.

naomi_censored
06-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey, for whatever reason, the site won't let me send you a PM; apparently your account does not accept them. So I'm posting my message here.

Thanks for keeping me updated! I'm glad you got everything straightened out with the hotel, that would have been really crap customer service otherwise.

About being roommates... well, I'm a bit conflicted. There are pros and cons to both staying by myself and sharing a room with you.
On the one hand, if I keep my reservation at the hotel Villa, I get a mini fridge in my room (infinitely useful to me as I will be bringing and storing my own food for the weekend), I don't have to be as sociable with other people and can have time to myself, and I don't have to explain my jewish Sabbath observances to anyone and potentially make things awkward.
On the other hand, staying with you means that I can save almost 100$, be in the same hotel as a close friend of mine, and have someone to let me into the hotel room during the Sabbath so I don't have to use the electronic keycard (which is forbidden to me on the Sabbath).
So this is my dilemma, and I haven't quite decided what to do. Could you give me a little time to think about it and decide what to do? I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you think that we could solve any of the above stated issues and still have us be roommates, please let me know. :)

Thanks so much for your patience and willingness to consider me as a potential roommate!

MelMuff
06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Sure! Take all the time you need. I am Catholic myself but I took a world religion class in high school and learned a bit about other religions so I understand. If you decide NO, not to worry. Yesterday, my credit card offered me a limit increase so now I have enough for room whether or not I find a roomie. I was worried before since it was always at the limit and I couldn't get it down.

MelMuff
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
That is also weird that it won't let you send me a PM. I think have had some problems in the past myself but it's been working fine for my lately. But I have been having similar problems on Anime Revolution's message board. It's wonky when I send the message but it gets to the sender eventually. And I cannot even log into Naru 2U's message board. It's like a virus took over theirs. At least Otakuthon's message board are fine.

MelMuff
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Oh! I forgot. Cosplay's message board does not allow me to edit posts so that is my main problem here.

naomi_censored
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I dunno what's up with that. I can get messages from you just fine, but when I try to send you one, I just get this dialogue box that says that you're account has either chosen not to receive messages, or it's not allowed to. It's weird...

MelMuff
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I will look into that and see if I can fix it. Not sure why it would do that.

MelMuff
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Doesn't look like there is anything to fix. All of my settings are set to receive PM from anyone. Weird. Must be a glitch in Cosplay.com's system.