PDA

View Full Version : Original Cosplay?

Nine
11-09-2002, 02:49 AM
What are you guy's opinions on Original cosplay? Like... do you support it?
I'm currently making a character named "Nine" lol.. he's a black and white catboy... I made the pants tonight.. and boy do they rule!! http://nine3k1.ods.org/furrypants.jpg

Have any of you ever cosplayed your own original character before?

I actually have allready... Goldie Noir for pride... but I don't concider it a cosplay costume... lol

soshi
11-09-2002, 02:59 AM
I think it's great. ^^ a lot of people get annoyed with original costumes because a lot of them (catpersons in particular) appear pretty half-asses (ie, cute clothes + ears = costume). but there's loads of even worse half-assed real cosplay, too... it's really neat when you see an original costume done really well. ^^ so I'm all for it.

it's especially fun when you said "i'm cosplaying so and so from such and such" - something you made up - and having people go "oh, I LOVE that show!" x_x lol.

Nine
11-09-2002, 03:04 AM
My catguy costume is really simple.. but it looks so wicked with the huge furry pants! XD I made it for dances really... ^^; I can understand how cat people costumes can be really annoying.. especially with the really skinny girls who wear next to nothing cat costumes.. but I'm trying to make my cat guy costume origonal, and cute (not sexy, just cute) ^^;

soshi
11-09-2002, 03:12 AM
I wasn't trying to diss your cat costume! X.x;; but it's true with the catpeople thing... x_x but you actually MADE pants! XD! so your's isn't one of the annoyin half-assed ones! XD

I want to make a visual kei inspired cat girl costume someday.. fully covered... lots of pleather and spikes. >D but I am lazy. *shrug* ^^;

katrinastrife
11-09-2002, 05:21 AM
I think an original costume ROCKS, especially when it's done so well you THINK it's from a show.

Hoe-bag catgirls are wrong! ><* KIMOCHI ga WARUI!!!
(yuck)

Nine
11-09-2002, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by soshi
I wasn't trying to diss your cat costume! X.x;;

aaah i never thought that ^^ dont worry

Mei Lan Chang
11-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by katrinastrife

Hoe-bag catgirls are wrong! ><* KIMOCHI ga WARUI!!!
(yuck)

Yikes...don't you think that's a little harsh?

Anyhoo, I think original characters are lotsa fun. They leave a costume's imaginative components completely up to you. It's a good way to express yourself through artful costuming, and I would love to be able to spend more time on that catagory.

Spooky Brew
11-09-2002, 04:24 PM
I have so many original outfits I wanna make!!! So many diferent characters, so little time!

KuroBara
11-09-2002, 04:48 PM
There's a lot of J-inspired clothes I want to make, but I wouldn't call them costumes. I do want to cosplay my own character someday: Clickity Click (http://roserevolution.com/photos/heathnomiko.jpg).

I'm not into walking around half-dressed just to get attention though. Cat ears and a bikini just don't constitute clothing IMHO. But, if you're a neko version of a character, or a human version of a cat that isn't just "look at my butt", then it's ok.

Nadeshiko
11-09-2002, 08:13 PM
I think as long as they're not a masquerade competition, it's great! *^^* I've done the original character cosplay a few times. Most of the time, I do it at Anime Central since I run an Amateur Voice Acting Panel each year. I usually go as my original characters. It's always nice to see something different every now and then.

J-pop artists have inspired my daily wardrobe. ^^

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-09-2002, 09:35 PM
I LOVE ORIGINAL COSTUMES!!!!! You don't have to worry about people saying that you don't look like that character or that part of your costume isn't accurate! I think it REALLY shows creativity when you make an original costume....

Daitenshi
11-09-2002, 11:17 PM
I'm always doodling new characters, but I have a few that I've really worked with. Eien (I may change the name) came about three weeks before Halloween... so I made the costume ^_^

http://www.daitenshi.com/me/halloween/me3.jpg

I really like seeing original character cosplay at cons. Ie: Kawaii Jenny's beautiful costume from NDK '01 and Yaya's fire faerie.

Mei Lan Chang
11-10-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Daitenshi

I really like seeing original character cosplay at cons. Ie: Kawaii Jenny's beautiful costume from NDK '01 and Yaya's fire faerie.

Yaya's fire faerie is so great! I remember by jaw clonking on the floor the first time I saw it, and I haven't even seen it in person!
But the pictures alone show the sheer magnificence of it.

Daitenshi
11-10-2002, 02:06 AM
I haven't seen a single picture that captures how beautiful that costume really is ^^; There's tons of hand-beading and details that you can't see, etc etc etc. I don't think she'll be wearing it again any time soon =/ maybe to Dragon*Con next year if enough people beg =P

Karisu-sama
11-10-2002, 04:19 AM
Daitenshi! Love that costume! :)

Yeah, DragonCon & other SF-type cons are places where original costuming is a plus. It requires MORE creativity to come up with design, as well as the execution.

Nine
11-10-2002, 05:44 AM
I wore my fuzzy white pants to show my best friend. 1) He was amazed that I made them within an hour and 2) He said that they look like a male Para Para dance costume... so I'm going to use the costume for Para Para dancing! XD A cat guy Para Para costume... interesting! XD *hugs his furry pants*

Tea-chan
11-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Original cosplay is great. Though, it's weird when you sit there for a half hour and attempt to fgiure out who someone is cosplaying as, and you're afraid to go up and ask them for fear of offending them. XD

But yeah. As it is, I'm planning my own original cosplay. My character Lena, perhaps, perhaps.
Maybe this outfit(see pic). ^^ It'd take a hell of a time to make the skirt.

Back to the topic, though. If you want to cosplay as your own character, GO FOR IT! :D

avagoyle
11-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by soshi
it's especially fun when you said "i'm cosplaying so and so from such and such" - something you made up - and having people go "oh, I LOVE that show!" x_x lol.

LOL!!! my koi does that all the time with jrock. he likes to dress up in the first place and got annoyed that all these people kept asking what he was from, so after a while he jsut made up a band. it was funny how many people went "oh, i know of them!"

Schu
11-11-2002, 09:40 PM
I dunno why, but I've always been sorta weary of original costumes. I think it has more to do with people who consider the clothes they went to Hot Topic and purchased to be a costume. First of all, that's sort of insulting to the people who really actually believe in the message and mentality of punk and goth cultures. I don't understand the connection between conthings and Hot Topic, but there's something there...

I also don't like seeing people scantilly clad, regardless of gender, just because I am a generally pretty modest person when it comes to showing skin in public.

Original costumes are great, but make sure you're going to fit in with the jist of the con... Alot of artists will wear the costumes of their original characters too get popularity for their "manga" they have created. I tend to refer to comics that were written in Japanese and are Japanese as manga, and American-made, american-language comics as comics. But that's off topic really... it's really cool, but yeah, just make sure you're properly covered and the costume fits and that you turn people on to your characters.

It's all cool, really.

Nine
11-13-2002, 07:09 PM
http://nine3k1.ods.org/kittyboy.jpg

http://nine3k1.ods.org/kittyboy2.jpg

http://nine3k1.ods.org/kittyboypants.jpg

XD this costume is so simple yet so cuuuuuuteXD :thumbsup:

KnuxieChan
11-13-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm not much for Orignal half-naked characters >.< Too many cat girls. But yours is sooo-kawaii! ^__^ I'd glomp ya irl if you wore that!

Adella
11-13-2002, 09:06 PM
I've wanted to cosplay my RP character for a while. I would probably do a souped up version of this outfit.

Shi
11-13-2002, 09:22 PM
I think that original costumes are wonderful. I have a bunch I would like to make. But in the spirit of the anime convention, I really think that only anime or manga costumes should be submitted to the actual cosplay contest.

However, maybe someone could start a category for original costumes, so people could gain an award or two for their costuming skills. :) That way they can get out of the halls and into the awards ceremony.

Adella
11-13-2002, 09:31 PM
I would only wear my original costume at the convention.. never enter it in the masquerade. ^_^

Radical Urd
11-14-2002, 09:51 PM
WAH!! Okay cat boys are very VERY good. And cat girls are okay too! Personally I don't really like orig cosplay cause well its an anime con go as an anime chara. But if somehow you can tie your chara to anime then go ahead. I don't like it because sopme people do like the charas they made up on LARP or something and that has nothing to do with anime. But cat people, ninjas and the like i'm okay with. My point is basically if it had some tie to Japanese culture i'm cool.

KaitouKurogo
11-15-2002, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure if this counts as an original costume or not...

At AX02, my friends and I were all heading from the shopping exhibits, where my friend Billy (wearing all black, sunglasses, and a berét for the heck of it) had just purchased a black bokken to pair with the rest of us, all of whom had bokkens or shinai. On our way out, Billy was stopped for a picture by a tourist who thought he was in costume. We still laugh about it....^_^'

Maryssa
11-15-2002, 02:28 PM
whoooo... Nine, if you're gonna dance around in that, I hope you drink lots of fluids before hand o_O

Nine
11-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
whoooo... Nine, if you're gonna dance around in that, I hope you drink lots of fluids before hand o_O

LOL yeah.. and if worst comes to worst I can just take off the furry pants.. because I wear my thin white pants that I used for Alice... ^^v

Kendo_Bunny
11-16-2002, 09:26 PM
I've put together four original costumes from bits and pieces. I've never made anything, but an old pair of maternity culottes turned into the perfect pants for a gypsy outfit, a 1940's hat found in an antique store was the finishing touch on a simple, elegant suit, a little bit of sparkly eye-shadow made a half-mask for the Angel of Death, and a suede vest found at a yardsale became leather armor. I find the weirdest things and throw them together... my first ever costume was an artist's shirt, the suede vest, maternity pants, ankle boots, and a foam rubber sword. I was asked several times what anime or game I was supposed to be from.
Most people work much harder at making original characters than I do, but as soon as I have the pieces to a costume, I put together a complex background story. It's quite fun, and anyone who saw me at Otakon, expect to see the striped suit again.

Nemui Yume
11-22-2002, 07:08 AM
Original costumes are great, i always support anything that's original i say, i was planning on making a costume of a character my good artist friends made, it's really a tough design but i'm always wanting a challenge to see what it's gonna be like. I say yeah go for it, don't let anything stop you- just have fun with it~

Jenny~i love that costume you did it's sooo sexay ^_^ i thought it was something from DOA XD hehe but it's original ^.^ so i love it more ^__^

~Stella~

Tenjou
11-22-2002, 03:21 PM
I support original cosplay since it shows people's creativity! :D and creativity is always good. And, I'll probably do some of my own original cosplay in the near future! ^_^