PDA

View Full Version : I figured this was the best place to ask... (aka Male versions of Female characters?)

Faux
02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I was thinking... I've seen many girl versions of guy characters cosplayed, but no guy version of girl characters are ever cosplayed. I've seen a few guy crossplayers in my time, so what's the deal? Do you just not bother, or is there some sort of stigma attached (doubt it)?

Karisu-sama
02-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I've seen female Vashes, Wolfwoods, Enishi, even Sanosuke...

My theory is that it just doesn't occur to most guys that if they do like certain female characters (but really do not want to crossplay or actually PLAY a female themselves), they could always make an Alternate Universe-type guy version of a character. (Imagine for example: Sakura of Sakura Taisen, or Paine from FFX2, having the equivalent of a twin brother...)

Venator
02-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, a lot of female characters also have a color scheme that would be... less than desirable on a guy. That, and the fact that anime girls' costumes are a large part of what makes them so easily recognized. Quick example would be... I dunno... Robin, from Witch Hunter Robin. A guy could always make a costume with a red trenchcoat and a black suit, even with blonde hair and some kind of substitute for her style. But honestly, I don't think I would be able to tell it was supposed to be a parallel-universe, male Robin. Doesn't work as well as, say, a femme Inuyasha, being a girl complete with a long shirt of the same style, beads, hair, ears, and Tetsuseiga. It's just more difficult to convert from female to male, while keeping the same feeling of the character.

Karisu-sama
02-04-2004, 11:07 PM
People alter color schemes already when they sometimes want to make an alternate costume version of a character. It could be done for a "brother-type" effect too: ie: Sakura's kimono / hakama scheme is pink and red; a guy could do the kimono in, say, blue/purple, yellow/blue or red/black, and use a man's obi (and no giant hair ribbon!)

A male-style version of Paine would be a piece of cake. I bet a male-style version of Rikku would not be too outlandish an idea either. If there are enough distinctive relatively-neutral (gender-wise) features on the original costume that can translate fairly intact over to a male redesign (colors, beading, etc.) it can probably be moderately recognizable.

(Heck, Man-Faye didn't have to do a really bad crossplay of Faye Valentine; he COULD have done a guy-version which would have been pretty recognizable as a variant on Faye's very distinctive design and color scheme. But he wouldn't have achieved the same notoriety... :p)

Of course I think a lot of guys are afraid they'll get weird looks over it, even if it's NOT a crossplay. :p There seems to be some perception that there is a stigma attached to a guy admiring a female character enough to want to emulate them in even a small fashion.

dani
02-04-2004, 11:42 PM
There seems to be some perception that there is a stigma attached to a guy admiring a female character enough to want to emulate them in even a small fashion.
Fortunately some of us have developed an antidote.

But going to the original question, I think modifying a costume for gender characteristics and keeping it recognizable at the same time is an interesting design challenge. Looks like not many are stepping up to the plate.

So we'll all be cheering for you, Faux, when you get to it :)

Dani

LunarYoma
02-05-2004, 04:02 AM
I was thinking... I've seen many girl versions of guy characters cosplayed, but no guy version of girl characters are ever cosplayed. I've seen a few guy crossplayers in my time, so what's the deal? Do you just not bother, or is there some sort of stigma attached (doubt it)?

Ive considered the thought of doing this before(doing a male version of a female anime character), but never considered doing it for your 'typical' anime characters. Only way i consider doing it is if the anime character can switch genders, or change into any humanoid form, then i would find it more plasuable then for myself.

Hikaruchan
02-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Interesting question. I have only seen it done once, where Sailor Moon was done with pants instead of skirt by a guy.

allyunion
02-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Now that's something interesting to see... As I have no artistic talent, I will describe my ideas and let someone who knows how to draw, draw out my suggestions... if anyone wants to... I would gladly want to see how my suggestions come out to...

A few ideas...

Naruto:
Sakura as a guy type costume. Let's see... Spiked pink hair... maybe... red pants with two smaller circles on the knees... and a shirt top that matchs much like the top for a typical Sakura costume.

Ino: The bottom portion would become pants, and this costume would become a two piece costume. Hair, again, would be modified... Maybe layered like Jim Hawking's hair.

Temari: The top lace would be modified in a fashion more like Shikamaru's. The red portion of the top of the costume can stay the same, but I would perfer to go with blue, giving it an alternative universe feel. I was thinking that the bottom half of the costume can go for a Gaara like look. Since we would go with pants on the outfit, we still can keep something hanging between the legs... perhaps only in the front. Either the cloth hanging in front of the legs, or the pants would match the over all top portion of the costume, while the other piece would be of a different color. I think maybe black pants and having something hanging in the front. As for the hair... hmm, that's very difficult... since you'll need to some how to achieve a guy look, but still a recognizable Temari... I have no clue on the hair.

Ten Ten: A twin-brother look would be very effective here. The hair for starters: I would go for long hair tied back into a pony tail... somewhat of a Wong Fei Hong look. Lastly, I would change the pink top to either a cyan-blue color or go for a dark red color. The remaining portions of the costume would retain the same. Otherwise, the top can be a white color, making it effectively more neutral and still recognizable.

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
Let's see... Rei would be equally interesting... It would be a corduroys of a light blue color much like the dress with the straps the same width, a red tie and a white shirt. The hair and eyes can remain the same.

Asuka: Her gold dress would be very difficult to modify... but your best bet would to be to go with a very bright gold tank top and gold basketball shorts... maybe...
I can't picture the hair a different way at the moment...

Misato: Back pants as a substitute for the dress bottom. The red jacket would be at a comfy normal length that goes down to the waist, rather than coming up short. The hat could remain the same... but I think I would change it to a red/black French beret with the NERV symbol on the beret.
Since NERV is a military type organization, I think putting the NERV symbol on the sides of the jacket would be an okay modification, as we want to attempt to create a guy-professional military look, and using the red jacket as a way to indicate a military type jacket, rather than a casual one.
- Alternative Brother Look: Blue jacket, and blue jeans rather than black pants. (Although, black pants still will work)

Trigun:
Meryl Stryfe's costume would actually work with little or no modifications. The only modification that might be needed is the hair.

Milly Thompson: costume might need a few adjustments, one of them would be the hair. Hair definately would be shorter, rather than longer. Longer would go for a brotherly bishie look... but Milly doesn't strike me as that type of character, therefore I recommend shorter.

Hellsing:
Intergral Hellsing: Not much to really change... actually... I wouldn't really change much to make this a guy-Intergral

Seras Victoria: Rather than shorts, pants. Everything else would remain the same. A slight alternation of the hair style would make a bit more effective.

------

Generic Ideas for a Girl-Guy costume (-nish?):

For any dress, convert to pants/shorts of same color. Depending on the length required, and the costume in mind, consider what would work best.

For any school girl costume, some exceptions would need to be made: The sailor top could be retained, or it can be exchanged for a dress shirt of similar style. The dress would change to pants or shorts of the same color. (Which ever looks more fitting)

Any symbols on dresses or the bottom of the costumes would need to be reconsidered for redesign and/or placement.

Faux
02-05-2004, 01:34 PM
I was thinking of maybe a guy version of Malin from King of Fighters 2003. Make pretty much everything a bit baggier, change the skirt to soccer shorts, change the wierd knee-thingies to pants underneath the shorts, and voila! The color scheme and yo-yos are recognizable enough, and a soccer uniform is acceptable for both guys and girls.

Kuri-chan
02-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Fun ideas! I think it could work very nicely.

I tried something similar once, with a non-anime costume. A couple of my lady friends and I really wanted to dress up for a Doctor WHO con (I know, wrong genre! Gomen nea.) We all tried to think of characters that we all liked, and managed to come up with gender-opposite characters (The Master, the Doctor, and Ace for me). At the time, I had never tried crossplay, and was still uncomfortable with the idea. It didn’t help that both of the ladies were of the more buxom variety, and unmistakably female. We ended up dressing up as the Master, the Doctor, and Ace, keeping the same basic costumes with simple modifications for hair and gender.

It turned out to be a big hit, since whenever anyone would ask why we chose opposite genders, Ace would turn and scowl at the Doctor saying “’Just a door’ you said. ‘No problem, Ace’ you said. ‘Oh no, it’s not booby trapped, perrrfectly safe!’ you said. ‘What could possibly go wrong?’”
^_^

With the worlds of anime so full of neat and spooky things that could alter your gender or physique at any time, I’m sure you could come up with a clever plot excuse to explain why you’ve chosen to costume one gender as another.

-Kuri

Tullgogh
02-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Glad I found this thread, I was always keeping this idea in the back of my head, probably thanks to the fact that you hardly ever see a guy cosplay as Duo, it's almost a law that they're all female. So why not a male dressing up as a female?

Personally, I was thinking of Haruko from FLCL, not sure which costume. Biker or the overalls she wore. Not sure about the hair, since mine is already thinning out on me a wig would probably be in order, a nice soft pinkish color would do nicely. Not sure on the style.

What do you guys think?

Karisu-sama
02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Don't see why not! ^____^ You might have to cut a longer pink wig into a more guy-ish style, since I don't know how many guy-style wigs come in pink to start with... (unless, of course, you are doing a longer-haired male version... hey, isn't her hairstyle almost long-haired guy-like already?)

Leon
02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Hmm....now, this is an interesting topic! I'd have to say that a reason why this type of cosplay isn't done often could be that many female characters wear rather skimpy outfits.....

BUT, that doesn't mean it couldn't be pulled off....in fact, I'm wondering if there could be a male variant to, say, Chun Li??

ACXchan
02-23-2004, 04:29 AM
I've always been fond of doing a female type Anji Mito with a male type Baiken from Guilty Gear. Gender reversal for them both and I think they'd be easily recognizable, the Baiken in particularly because she's missing one arm and one eye. Male type Baiken would be sexy XD

Karisu-sama
02-24-2004, 01:47 AM
ACXchan: Whoa, now that WOULD be really cool.... XD

Leon
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Now that I think of it, masculinized female characters could be pretty cool! Male Sailor Senshi would be something fairly simple to pull off, I'm thinking of ways to do a male version of Chun Li, and I'm even trying to figure out how to do a male version of Orchid from Killer Instinct....

ACXchan
03-02-2004, 10:05 PM
LOL Karisu on male-type Baiken: the only time you don't have to worry about not wearing a bra for Baiken... is the time you have to worry about not wearing a bra for Baiken XD

Mucai
10-15-2004, 10:43 PM
*blinks*

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before. An AU version of a sailor senshi. Hmm... I think that can be done. *ponders*

hmm... Add shorts or pants under the skirt, do something with the boots, bows and hair... perhaps. ^_^

AlphaWolfJason
12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
As Sailor Moon was my first anime ever, it holds a fond place in my heart, and as crossplaying wouldn't be at all effective, I sketched out a design of a male Sailor Jupiter (though my drawing skills are worse than lamentable):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/alphawolfjason/mlaejup.jpg

Basically, I made the hair short and spiky, as that seems a more fitting cut (and since it would evoke images of electricity). I replaced the frontal bow with a tie and expanded the back of the collar into a cape, placing epilet-y things on the shoulders. The body becomes a button up shirt (so that the tie doesn't look out of place) with the sleeves past the shoulder cut off. And rather than the two flower earings, just a single one in the shape of a lightning bolt.

Not sure about a few things myself:

1. Should the skirt be converted into shorts or pants?
2. Should the gloves be kept the same, or should they be altered in some way (I'm thinking of fingerless ones that go just beyond the wrist)?
3. As it seems like a male senshi would use a weapon of some sort to utilize his ability rather than hand motions, should a sword (or other weapon) be included?

Any other comments/suggestions?

Yunalover88
12-05-2004, 10:31 PM
These are all great ideas, but AU characters really aren't my thing. Call me a purist... but I don't like altering a character. (well, alternate color schemes can be cool. :D) My motto: "To heck with society. They haven't done anything for me, so their definition of "normal" doesn't apply to me!" I'm a guy, and I sure aren't afraid to crossplay. But for those who are into AU characters, I wish you the best of luck with your designs!

Lostboy
12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I worked on a concept once, but never got around to doing it. I thought of doing a male Rinoa (FF8). Here's my bad sketch of the idea. A friend of mine did a better sketch of it, but I can't find that one right now.

http://lostboyvideo.com/temporary/rinoakun2.jpg

wulfmune
12-06-2004, 12:50 PM
personally i think some costumes are really hard to pull off the opposite gender and in this case i full heartedly support fem/male versions of costumes. i have yet to see a male version of female costumes and i think that would be really cool to see. alot of female costumes aren't that flattering to anyone who doesn't have a super model figure, and i think i'd rather do a male version of a female costume over the female version myself xD

Azzuri
12-07-2004, 08:53 AM
My motto: "To heck with society. They haven't done anything for me, so their definition of "normal" doesn't apply to me!"

Can I quote that? Like at every opportunity :P That is exactly the way I think of things lol.

jetspectacular
12-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Faux: I think a boy version of Malin would be f@#$ing awesome.. I was actually thinking of converting her into a skatepunk kinda style, just by lengthening her shorts past he knee... Her clothing is very streetkid to begin with.. (i dunno, it's because of her belt >__> and the layers, and the bandana, and the colors..)
Soccer shorts would work great though, because it's the right length, just a bit baggier (read: easier to fight! in all honesety!) Those leggings could be socks then, The belt could just be converted into a black stripe across the bottom of the shirt and it would look rockin.. Actually, her leggings also remind me of workout pants, and while i'm on idea, Those could be maroon warmups and the skirt would actually be her white under-tee made really really long, with a short-sleeved maroon tee over it..

Lostboy: your Rinoakun concept is cool too! I actually had ideas of something similar, but I was going on the streetkid angle again (when am i not x.x?) so I thought of wristbands instead of armwarmers (izzat what they're called?) and again, baggy shorts instead of pants because Rinoas' *boots* are one of the most badass things about design XD i would never miss a chance to show them off ^.^'' but I dunno, maybe it depends on age..?

allyunion: yay! i'm not the only one to think of sexy-no-jutsu versions for female naruto cospalyers XD the sexy-no-jutsu Sakura i would totally go for.. I'd pull her hair back into a tight pony tail.. but instead of making her dress into a two-piece, i'd make it into a coat >__> because her clothes underneath would look *awesome* on a guy. I'd exchange her sandals for boots though, also ^.^'' Too bad I dont think I could do this one, since i'd be a girl crossplaying a guy version of a female character (that doesn't offically exist) it'd just be "sakura with less boobage and her hair in a ponytail" =P

Yunalover88
12-10-2004, 06:27 AM
To Azzuri: Go right ahead! :P

tabbybunhead
12-15-2004, 09:45 AM

Besides the costume.

say if you wanted to do a male Leia(not anime I know)look at what is iconic(all white costume,the cinnamon bun's)

As far as feminine colors,so what.

The point behind criss crossplay is to protray a female character you admire without wering "women's clothing".

Being a evangelical christian I can understand not wanting to wear women's clothing(though have nothing against those who do) but anyone who says a cartain color makes an outfit "female clothing"they are so stupid and narrow minded that their POV can be discounted.

Check out the Chii criss cross thread I posted.I got some great advice there from one of our members.

Tabby