PDA

View Full Version : Ezio's ACII Embroidery

mollsiewallsie
06-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Hello, everyone! I'm making an Assassin apprentice cosplay for Comic-Con based mainly on Ezio's original Assassin outfit from ACII http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111012023440/assassinscreed/images/8/8e/Ezio.jpg and one of the Florentine Assassin apprentices http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110124021861/assassinscreed/images/2/26/Assassin_Apprentice_2.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/citruskittle/AssassinOutfitFinal-Resized.png
(Plus it'll have Ezio's cape and more pouches on the belts)

My problem is how to do the silver Renaissance-style embroidery patterns on the front of Ezio's drapes. I haven't been able to find a template for the design anywhere, and I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. I have some experience sewing, but this is my first hand-made cosplay. I was planning to make a template for the embroidery out of paper, then paint on the design with silver acrylic paint, and then do a satin-stitch over it with silver thread. But for someone who's an amateur at sewing, is painting it and then also doing the satin-stitch over-kill?

So my main questions are:
1) Does anyone have a clean template of the embroidery pattern?
2) Will silver acrylic paint even work on fabric?
3) Should I just skip the painting step and draw on the design with pencil instead, and then satin-stitch it from there?
4) Are there better methods to stitch it on?

Any answers would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

ClockworkMurmur
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm on the same boat as you are! I'm going to use paint instead of embroidering.

Basically, you buy some regular acryllic paint and some fabric medium. You mix the paint and medium in the correct portions, and you'll end up with something suitable for fabric. :3 I recommend using a stencil and applying multiple coats just to get a nice, even colour. It will look a bit different than the fabric, but if you're not too comfortable with embroidering or other methods, this will work.

I've used it for t-shirts and such and it holds rather well, but you just need to make sure that you've got enough paint on it.

Here's a link. (http://www.ehow.com/how_6384522_make-acrylic-paints-permanent-fabric.html)

Or, you could also check into iron-on transfers. Those didn't work very well with me, but who knows? It's at least something to check in to.

Good luck! :D

mollsiewallsie
06-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Ahh thank you so much! I didn't know about fabric medium o3o I'll definitely try that! I just hope the silver shows up on the white fabric.

And I thought about iron-on transfers, but the problem is finding that pattern, or anything close to it 8\ I've been trying to find Renaissance-like patterns, to no avail. It seems painting/stitching is the way to go.

aragrey
06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Seems like we're all at the same point...

Painting is sounding like a good option though. Are your pieces sewn together already? Mine are, and I'm worried that If I paint, it's gonna bleed through to the lining of the fabric -__- I guess it's not too big of a deal...

What about making a stencil and spray painting with regular spray paint, for an even coat?

mollsiewallsie
07-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Sorry aragrey, I posted a comment in reply to yours on the same day, but it seems like it was lost 8\

My pieces are sewn together already, but you can always put a piece of cardboard inside to separate the front from the back when you paint 8]

And also, I would be wary of using spray-paint, because I've used it before for projects and it's messy, especially if you're trying to get little details. When you use paper as a stencil, the air from the spray-paint can lifts up the paper from the surface it's on so that the paint mists underneath it, making the design outline not clean. You also have to worry about the paint mist getting on other parts of the costume, so you should cover up anything you don't want it to get on. If you really wanted to use spray-paint though, you could try pinning the paper stencil down around all the edges or just use cardboard instead, but I think acrylic paint would be safer and easier overall.

Good luck to both of you! I hope to see what your finished costumes look like 8D

LittleBlondGoth
07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
My other half took the embroidery route for his AC2 Ezio:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/kitimariana/DSC02994.jpg

It came out really well in the end, but there's a few things to beware of. Basically, this is not a cheap option. He bought a programmable embroidery sewing machine to do it, drew up the patterns and sewed them that way. It also used up a lot of thread - the gold and the silver ended up at a few km in the end. Getting everything lined up and in the right position was also... Well, let's say 'tricky' and leave it at that, shall we?

aragrey
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh wow, that's gorgeous!

I've committed to embroidery after a lot of thinking. Thanks for the tips mollsiewallsie!

fev
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM

It came out really well in the end, but there's a few things to beware of. Basically, this is not a cheap option. He bought a programmable embroidery sewing machine to do it, drew up the patterns and sewed them that way. It also used up a lot of thread - the gold and the silver ended up at a few km in the end. Getting everything lined up and in the right position was also... Well, let's say 'tricky' and leave it at that, shall we?

If you don't mind my asking, what machine did he wind up getting? Was seperate software necessary?

I'm aiming for an eventual acb cosplay, but after the joyous experience of ACR embroidery by hand ( :p ) i would prefer to use a machine and make more effecient use of the time to work on other things.

mollsiewallsie
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Oh man, that embroidery looks amazing. There's so much detail, and it turned out excellent. Unfortunately, I only have my mom's old sewing machine to work with, and since Comic-con is only a few days away and I'm still trying to finish a pouch and vambrace for my costume, I'm not going to get to the embroidery this time around. If I do end up adding it on later, I'll definitely post a template pattern and pictures.

Also, Fev, I've been following your spectacular AC cosplays for awhile and it makes me so happy that you're posting on here, I am beyond impressed with all of your stuff. I'm glad to hear you're going to finish the ACB cosplay, I can't wait to see what you do :) Your costumes and props are consistently absolutely legit and amazing 8P

maskedrose
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/kitimariana/DSC02994.jpg

GOD that is beautiful!!!

LittleBlondGoth
07-12-2012, 04:24 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what machine did he wind up getting? Was seperate software necessary?

I'm aiming for an eventual acb cosplay, but after the joyous experience of ACR embroidery by hand ( :p ) i would prefer to use a machine and make more effecient use of the time to work on other things.

I've just had a little check, and it's a Singer Futura machine. Think it cost us about 600 or so, but it comes with the software you need on it. It was a really good deal, since most embroidery machines are in the thousands. But the software is very good, it will digitise what you draw up in Photoshop and convert it to a pattern without too much hassle. You might be able to find them on eBay cheaper?

Obviously it can't do an entire length strip of, say, that gold all at once, so you have to be incredibly careful lining up each piece to make sure the joins are even. As you can probably tell, he did a lot of the embroidery pieces on separate sections of fabric, then joined them together, it was just a lot easier. :)

maskedrose
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I think I will try embroidery... I have a very old Model 51 Kenmore (so, like.. late 50's early 60s.. no frills) but you can embroider with it.. I'd have to draw the design by hand and go very slowly over the lines....

Just think.... women sat for months doing embroidery on men's jackets just 100 years ago... hah

fev
07-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Mollsie, did you manage to get your costume done in time for the con? Was looking for photos, and haven't come across it ><

And thanks! The ACB is -eventual- though. Finding time to make it has been proving hella difficult ><

Littleblondgoth- would you happen to have the particular model number? Futura as a brand dates back to at least 1794 lol. I'm seeing quite a number of models that do embroidery ^^ I'm loosely guess the 400?

Seriously, considering the number of hours put into just embroidery....oy. If the net cosplays have like, any embroidery, I'm feeling like, MACHINE. NOW lol

LittleBlondGoth
07-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Instruction manual says CE-250 / CE-350. Hope that helps. :)

mollsiewallsie
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Fev, yeah I did finish it! The only thing I didn't finish that I had wanted (besides the embroidery) was the vambrace. I decided to only do one, and I finished it on time, but it was held together with industrial glue that smelled really terrible and it said all over the tube that the vapors caused cancer so I just threw that vambrace away LOL. The second attempt I didn't get to finish on time 8\ I'm hoping to finish the vambrace as well as a short blade and sheath for the next time around.

Here are some pictures of my costume from Comic-con: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31026044@N05/sets/72157630614760032 I'm going to do an actual photo-shoot at Balboa Park (lots of Spanish/Italian-looking architecture) later this week, but those are the only pictures I have for now 8)

MotherSilver
07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Okay now wait, I'm doing Ezios original outfit, and I'm having issues figuring out how to transfer the pattern onto his coat so I can embroider it. I'm going to be hand embroidering but... I just don't quite know how to transfer the pattern so that I can start the embroidery. I haven't started yet, but I'm looking up everything, patterns etc. It has been years since I've done any embroidery, at least ten years... the last time I looked at any of that was in middle school... Do either of you guys know how to do that? I don't think my little bitty machine can do any of that and even if it could I still have to get the pattern on there. D: I've been looking around online and I've seen like tracing paper options but doesn't that leave a mark on the jacket? Is the embroidery going to cover that?

redletalis
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
The way I did it is scale the emroidery pattern down to the appropriate size, tape the sheet of paper to a window and then tape the fabric over the sheet and draw the pattern onto the fabric. after that it's easy.

This is what I did for Ezio's Brotherhood outfit:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee256/Redletalis/Cosplay/brotherhoodembroidery.jpg?t=1341471279

MotherSilver
07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
The taping to the window part might be difficult *glances at blocked up windows* but I get what you're saying. I need to find a light source and trace on the fabric. Very much helpful, thank you.

aragrey
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I saw a way where you take your pattern paper, poke holes along the outline of the image to embroider, and then put the paper on top of your fabric and sprinkle charcoal dust on it so that when you take off the paper, you get a faint charcoal outline!

dizzymonochrome
07-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I've just had a little check, and it's a Singer Futura machine. Think it cost us about 600 or so, but it comes with the software you need on it. It was a really good deal, since most embroidery machines are in the thousands. But the software is very good, it will digitise what you draw up in Photoshop and convert it to a pattern without too much hassle. You might be able to find them on eBay cheaper?

Obviously it can't do an entire length strip of, say, that gold all at once, so you have to be incredibly careful lining up each piece to make sure the joins are even. As you can probably tell, he did a lot of the embroidery pieces on separate sections of fabric, then joined them together, it was just a lot easier. :)

I have a Singer Futura too! Love it.

Where did he get the designs for the embroidery? You said he drew them up himself, but did he just make it up, or did he have some sort of reference? And what program did he use to design it? I've been trying to learn Embird, but holy crap it's hard.

dizzymonochrome
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Mollsie, did you manage to get your costume done in time for the con? Was looking for photos, and haven't come across it ><

And thanks! The ACB is -eventual- though. Finding time to make it has been proving hella difficult ><

Littleblondgoth- would you happen to have the particular model number? Futura as a brand dates back to at least 1794 lol. I'm seeing quite a number of models that do embroidery ^^ I'm loosely guess the 400?

Seriously, considering the number of hours put into just embroidery....oy. If the net cosplays have like, any embroidery, I'm feeling like, MACHINE. NOW lol

For the Futura, the model numbers change every time they make a new set of them I think. But the price range seems stays about the same. The cheapest one stays at around $1000 USD, and they get more expensive. I got the Futura 400 for $1000 and it's not the best out there, but definitely gets you bang for your buck.

I bought mine in October 2011 at a crafter festival, but I recall seeing another number on a "new" Futura that looked pretty much exactly the same when I went to the same festival in April of this year. It was exactly the same price at exactly the same booth I had bought mine from 6 months earlier, but I think it was numbered 440 or something like that.

LittleBlondGoth
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I have a Singer Futura too! Love it.

Where did he get the designs for the embroidery? You said he drew them up himself, but did he just make it up, or did he have some sort of reference? And what program did he use to design it? I've been trying to learn Embird, but holy crap it's hard.

He's a little on the obssessive side, so it's as accurate as he could get it. :) We've got the Prima guide to ACII which has some fantastic reference pics in, and we did some Googling for large pictures on the internets. Then it was a matter of bringing them into Photoshop and tracing over to get a block colour pattern. Once that'd been done, the software recognises the coloured areas as bits to embroider and works out all the fiddly part of actually sewing it on.

dizzymonochrome
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
He's a little on the obssessive side, so it's as accurate as he could get it. :) We've got the Prima guide to ACII which has some fantastic reference pics in, and we did some Googling for large pictures on the internets. Then it was a matter of bringing them into Photoshop and tracing over to get a block colour pattern. Once that'd been done, the software recognises the coloured areas as bits to embroider and works out all the fiddly part of actually sewing it on.

Seriously? You mean the software that came with the machine? O_O I didn't know it could do that...I thought you had to program stitches and stuff in another program. I tried Embird for the trial period, but really couldn't get it.

If I were going to crossplay, Ezio would definitely be the first one I'd go for doing completely accurate and not genderbend him. Something I haven't done before lol

DK_Gear
08-23-2014, 06:37 AM
I need help making the templates (blueprints) for Ezio full top part of suit color of fab does not matter im putting my own twist in it. plz help lol I've been looking and cant find it im about to assassin creed the internet lol :miffed: