PDA

View Full Version : Most Visually impressive Anime

psythe
11-09-2002, 07:03 PM
Had Blood: The Last Vampire playing just now and I've always thought it was the most impressive as far as the visual impact goes.

I was just wondering what everyone else's pick for the best anime, visually is?

Nadeshiko
11-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Adolescance of Utena.

I have a thing for roses, and since Shoujo Kakumei Utena is my favorite anime, I do have a bias. The new character designs are stunning. The animation and sound go well with the plot. Just everything about it that appears on screen is just *____*

I also have to put my vote for Whisper of the Heart. Before I saw the Utena movie, I thought it had a nice representation of Japan. I like the details in the antique store. The simple story with the details of Japanese lifestyle make nice to watch over and over again. I hear the next project is to make the anime based on the cat story...

Alaria
11-09-2002, 07:40 PM
hmmm, for beautiful landscape scenes, I like Miyazaki films, esp Totoro! There are entire sequences with just sweeping landscapes. Spirited Away was gorgeous as well...I can't think of any particular anime series that stands out above the rest...they're all great :)

Ayaka
11-09-2002, 08:48 PM
I'm not really sure this is visuals, since it could mean static imagery - which winds up being production design and art direction. But in terms of animated visuals, the fight in the first episode of Cowboy Bebop - with Spike in his sarappe (sp?), and then on the cartop - brilliant. The motion was awesome, and the camera motion! Damn.

In terms of just look . . . grr, tough question. It can refer to so many aspects. I'm usually tuning in to the way the motion is . . . artwise, I give Tenshi ni Narumon some mad props for the balance between the SD stuff and the exceptionally high level of detail in the "realistic" shots. As a cel collector, that's something that really stands out. They've got the level of detail going on in a regular episode that otherwise you'd only get in an OAV or movie. Of course, that's an artistic choice. That's part of why I really like Robot Carnival, it's very different animation styles clashing, gives you a chance to appreciate them.

And you have to mention Miyazaki, lol. I love the shot composition.

I think my coolest visuals of all time award still goes to Metropolis. I know that's asking for a fight, but . . . there you have it. It's got some very fierce competition in my mind from the Escaflowne movie, though. Anybody who saw that movie in a theater knows what I'm talking about. (especially if there was a big audience! I've almost never heard an audience react that way to the very beginning of a movie!)

KaineMaxwell
11-09-2002, 08:51 PM
I was very impressed by the CG work of Cowboy bebop- it's one the things that drew me into the series.

DJ(SiC)ness
11-09-2002, 08:58 PM
the X tv series is very pleasent on the eyes

Mei Lan Chang
11-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Yes indeedy Blood: The Last Vampire is impressive, but I somehow think Jin Roh beats it. Kazuki Fuse's profile is zoomed in on quite a bit. Instead of the usual unrealistic anime profile that usually consists of huge eyes and a pointy nose, his profile looks very ethnically correct; you can tell he is Japanese.

But my favorite for animation has got to be Vampure Hunter D: Bloodlust. Boggles my mind everytime!

Babbit_Chan
11-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Blood, Miyazaki films, and Metropolis for me ^^; (wait, did I just cheat since I put multiple answers o_O?)

Ukayoru no Chou
11-09-2002, 10:00 PM
Metropolis was good, I didn't think I would like that when I got it, er rented it ..~_~;;; Cowboy Bebop has good swinging scenes ( way the camera follows the action ) And I think Noir has good visualness.. o.o;;
What is some of ya peeps opinions of Blue Sub #6 , I knew a lot of people were turned off with the graphics not flowing as gently with the art as possible..

Shadow Lady
11-09-2002, 10:19 PM
All of Miyazaki's movies, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, and Blood the Last Vampire.

In that order.

Galaxia
11-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Cowboy Bebop (series and the movie), Arjuna (I saw the first episode on the DVD that came with my NewType magazine and it was amazing), and Evangelion

Cassandra
11-10-2002, 11:51 AM
hmm...Blood is very pretty. So is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the opening scene of Metropolis (I thought the art kinda went downhill a bit after that one scene), Armitage III: Dual Matrix and Ghost In The Shell.

Demented Otaku
11-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Pretty much any Miyazaki anime... and Akira. The way Otomo blended the colors and backgrounds to create his whole vision of Neo-Tokyo... it was amazing, and way ahead of its time.

ReiChan
11-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Ghost in the Shell has nice visuals.

psythe
11-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka
I'm not really sure this is visuals, since it could mean static imagery - which winds up being production design and art direction. But in terms of animated visuals, the fight in the first episode of Cowboy Bebop - with Spike in his sarappe (sp?), and then on the cartop - brilliant. The motion was awesome, and the camera motion! Damn.

AGREED!! That scene of Spike dancing around Bruce Lee style during the fight.... that was class animation:thumbsup:

aeva
11-10-2002, 03:48 PM
I agree with Alaria about Miyazaki films having gorgeous backgrounds..... but I think anything by CLAMP has the most stunning character designs. The details... the general style in general. ti's GORGEOUS.

Alaria
11-10-2002, 06:06 PM
CLAMP?? What do they do, I dunno recognize ze company?

Cassandra
11-10-2002, 06:08 PM
CLAMP did X/1999, Card Captor Sakura, RG Veda, Tokyo Babylon...ummm....Miyukichan in Wonderland....that's all I can think of off the top of my head....

aeva
11-10-2002, 06:20 PM
CLAMP also did Wish, Chobits, Clover, Angelic Layer..... the list goes on!

Hikaruchan
11-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Memories movie:Magnetic Rose segment. Gads, I love it. After being enthralled with the visuals of it after seeing AMV to it (Kevin Caldwell's Phantom of the Opera), I tracked down the movie and loved it even more - started cosplay plans while watching the movie.

The original El Hazard OVA had some beautiful backgrounds. A lot of CLAMP stuff is very pretty. Liked Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust too.

Hungryjack
11-11-2002, 12:09 AM
I'm joining in late, but my vote goes for Metropolis as well.

Rinkun
11-11-2002, 12:20 AM
IMHO, on current anime:

Witch Hunter Robin has a dark, beautiful sense
Hanabane Renmei has a nice landscape design
Ojamajo Doremi has nice coloring.
.hack//SIGN is also beautifully drawn

Babbit_Chan
11-11-2002, 12:35 AM
Looks like a lot of people went for Metropolis ^_^

Squall-chan
11-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by DJ(SiC)ness
the X tv series is very pleasent on the eyes

Yup yup...gotta love that X :D

DJ(SiC)ness
11-11-2002, 02:22 AM
HURRAY FOR VIOLATION!!!!!!!!!!

MugenH
11-11-2002, 03:03 AM
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has the most amazing visuals I've seen in an anime to date.

Toodle-Pip
MugenH

ThrustPuppy
11-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by MugenH
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has the most amazing visuals I've seen in an anime to date.

Toodle-Pip
MugenH

I was reading this entire thread thinking "Hah! I'm gonna be the first to say it!" and then the last post...the very last post...
Talk about heart breaking.

So yeah, that show looks really good. Everything except main-character-girl's outfit (ugly as sin) is pretty.

psythe
11-11-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by MugenH

Toodle-Pip
MugenH

ARGH!!

must......seeeee......GITS:SAC

Jibrille
11-11-2002, 10:58 AM
VHD: Bloodlust
X
....uh and thats all my brain will allow me to thing x.x

Ranma Saotome
11-11-2002, 11:00 AM
Opening Sequence of Bubblegum Crash (first person to dis that wil die. :)).

Alaria
11-11-2002, 01:52 PM
VHD: Bloodlust is great too! ::::smacks forehead::::: I own in and I didn't even remember =P
:::looks up at list:::: gaah, so many animes to see!!

psythe
11-11-2002, 03:49 PM
The list tends to laugh at me sometimes......

Carmila
11-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Miyazaki will always take the cake in regards to the visually stunning, however, I would have to say Bloodlust by far has the most beautiful backgrounds since Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Some of them are works of art in and of themselves. Like the sequence with the outside of Caythe, took my breath away!