PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay in Korea.

gsaint
11-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi:) It's the first time to write something here. I'm so excited to meet many overseas people who like cosplay here.

I'm not an expert, but I wish I can say about our(Korean) cosplay's characteristic.
It's not a special thing but a little bit different.

Is there a stage performance? It's a big trend in Korea. It is like a play sometimes...Very exciting!
A year ago, I also liked that and took a part once but I quit..I'm so old that I can't do that any more..;;

One thing I don't like about cosplay in Korea is "Star cosplayer".
There are some very cute and pretty girls who love cosplay like any other people. However, because they are prettier than other people, some people think they are big star. They have fan site, even fan club.

I can't understand that. They have same hobby, and it's not a big thing.
Well...because of my poor english, I couldn't transmit my opinion well.... Excuse that.^-^;;

I'll write other things sometimes

Have a nice day.^^

soshi
11-09-2002, 10:03 PM
hello! ^_^ my friend is fluent in Korean, maybe I can get her to post in here!

there are stage preformances here, we call them masquerades. lots of people preform and sometimes compete for prizes. ^^ I don't usually compete because I'm not competative, tho.

we have "star cosplayers" here, too. I don't like that, either. I think everyone should be equal and have fun.

see you around~ ^^

Famira Damaris
11-09-2002, 10:14 PM
It's true we have some "star cosplayers". However, the main point is to have fun - and I don't think anyone can get too old to cosplay! *beams* It's all about having fun and meeting new people.

As for "stage performances" - as soshi said, most conventions will have a "Masquerade", for cosplay walk-ons, skits, dances, musicals, whatever. For the larger conventions, usually not everyone can see the Masquerades because so many people are in the audience. ;_;

Hi It's the first time to write something here. I'm so excited to meet many overseas people who like cosplay here.

Hey, it's always fun to meet other people outside the country! *massive lobster huggle*

Ukayoru no Chou
11-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey, I'm glad you decided to post here! And we understood your point, and your english insn't bad ^___^;; Yes, alot of people don't like the "star cosplayer" thing over here, I know a few sites where people "bash" those " star cosplayers". Lol, I doubt your to old to participate on the stage play ( masquerade ), and I enjoyed your website, its very nice! ^^

Aya Mizu
11-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Ahnyong! I'm a fellow Korean cosplayer here in America!

The cosplay is the very much the same here with people who others like more, but many people cosplay here to have fun :)

gsaint
11-10-2002, 07:56 AM
WOw!! It's very similar!! I didn't know that^^;;; I really wanna see that performances some day.^^
I thoght "Star cosplayers" only exist in Korea, but it was not. I'm a little bit surprised. I think the main point is having fun, as you guyz said.^-^/

RealizeDOP
11-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Hi! : ) Wow, your a wonderful Cosplayer!!! : ) I'm so glad to see you post!!! Hahaha...Everybody knows I'm a very big fan of Korean things. I really like a lot of the Korean Cosplays I have seen!!! I think it shouldn't really matter about "Star Cosplayers" , as long as you have fun and you strive to be better is all that matters. : )

-Carolina

Sakura
11-10-2002, 11:01 PM
Ahnyong haseyo! ^_^; not sure if that's proper Korean, but I'm trying hard to learn because I take Tae Kwon Do. But anyways, you're right about those star cosplayers. I'm not trying to be mean to my fellow cosplayers when I say this, but there are some huge showoffs in the cosplay community (but not here at cosplay.com of course ^_-) and it annoys me! I think Masquerades are scary, I looked out at the audience and ran off the stage!

Famira Damaris
11-11-2002, 01:10 AM
*huggles Sakura* Hey, at least you had the courage to even sign up for a Masquerade! ^^ I wouldn't have even gotten that far. Audiences are intimidating. ;_;

gsaint
11-11-2002, 01:37 AM
^^/ Wow!! So many people like many things about Korea! I thought Korea is not so famous^^;;
Yeah..Performances( Masquerades-this word is not familiar with me.^^;) are a little bit scary. And one of my friends broke his ribs during the performances. It was TERRIBLE...

DJ(SiC)ness
11-11-2002, 02:36 AM
"bastard star cosplayers" <---genuin DJ quote

HuongStar
11-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Hello! ^_^ Welcome to the forums!

We also have "star" cosplayers here and I think it's pretty much unavoidable in any major hobby scene. :(

Famira Damaris
11-11-2002, 09:57 AM
And one of my friends broke his ribs during the performances. It was TERRIBLE...

OO! Are you serious? What happened?

gsaint
11-11-2002, 10:05 AM
At that time, we really wanted to win the 1st prize so we practiced and practiced all the time. And We were using some big weapons(not a real thing of course;;;.). He was hitten by a big, big club and fell down and... It was really horrible. However, he went to the stage with his big pain and we won. After that, he went into a hospital.-_-;;;;

Garuda_Aiacos
11-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Hi! :)

Nice to hear from a cosplayer from Korea too!

My country also got some "Star" Cosplayers but am happy that they are still very friendly and helpful to other cosplayers.

Frankly for my first love in Costuming (Anime/manga cosplaying is my 2nd), I'm being made the Star Cosplayer/Costumer cause I'm the only one seriously into it (Arrrhhh!!! I'm not that good yet!!! :bigcry: ).

Famira Damaris
11-11-2002, 10:33 AM
At that time, we really wanted to win the 1st prize so we practiced and practiced all the time. And We were using some big weapons(not a real thing of course;;;.). He was hitten by a big, big club and fell down and... It was really horrible. However, he went to the stage with his big pain and we won. After that, he went into a hospital.-_-;;;;

Sheesh, talk about dedicated! OO Is he alright now? ^^;

Krishna
11-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Hmmm.. I think the "star cosplayer" trend is everywhere... since there is something like that in Taiwan.... they don't have fansites.. but you can tell.. since there is a lot of picture of them floating around out there!!

engrish
11-12-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm assuming you have to be female in order to be a "star cosplayer". :D There's a couple of people in the U.S. that fit that description however the term star cosplayer is not used in this country. There is no direct translation. The term "a popular cosplayer" is used but that's not an entirely accurate translation. There is no American word that means "a popular and beautiful female cosplayer".

The idea of a fan club for a particular cosplayer seems weird, if not freaky IMO. A cosplayer may have a website and messageboard. Friends or admirers, might download pics or leave messages. There are no fan clubs for cosplayers in this country(not 100% sure), because cosplayers have not been elevated to the status of celeberties.

gsaint
11-13-2002, 05:30 PM
famira damaris/ Sure, he's ok now.^^ and He's still playing Performances..^^;;;;

Ah, there isn't an exact english word I can express those cosplayers^^;; so I chose the word "star" but the meaning would be closer to "popular".
And there is a fan site, really. Someone makes homepage about his favorite cosplayer and people who like that cosplayer come and see the pictures and leave messages. It seems like a usual cosplayer's homepage. As time goes, they feel friendly and become fan club. Well, it's all that I know about fan clubs. They are not so big but surely exist. And most of fan sites are going away nowadays. Or that cosplayers manage the sites.

Ceres86
11-18-2002, 04:48 PM
in korean:
안녕하세요! 와 나도 한국사람 인대... 케케 미안해요, 한국말 잘 몰라요~ 나는 코스프레 아직 안하는대 -_-;; 그레도 한국 코스프레 콘 (comicworld ?울)가구싶어요~ (영어도 참 잘 하내요~ :D)

Shinobu
11-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Hi!! Wow It's nice to hear from a cosplayer in Asia. It's a first for me...
If you'd like to see pictures of American anime conventions and masquarades (cosplay skits) you can visit
http://www.fansveiw.com/
It has lots of convention photos...
Your english is wonderful in my opinion.
Cosplayers with fansites and fanclubs? 0_0
Well acctually I saw two Japanese girls in a magazine that where famous all around for their costumes. Seems interesting.

gsaint
11-19-2002, 04:51 AM
Thx!!^-^ but I can't find the site.;; I don't know why..T.T
I'll visit and see many pictures there someday..I hope.^^;; I'm really interested in American cosplay.^-^

Ceres86/와 반가워요!! 여기? 한국말을 보니 너무 신기하네요^^ 아바타도 귀엽고!!

Sion
11-19-2002, 09:24 AM
For that site try http://www.fansview.com and see if that works, Shinobu made a little typo hehe ^^;

Hope that helps.

Eriku-san

Famira Damaris
11-19-2002, 09:37 AM
There's also www.usagichan.com (Linus Lam).

Shinobu
11-19-2002, 04:20 PM
yeah I made a typo, lol sorry! ^^;
If you're interested I wrote a review and have some pictures from a convention I went to at
http://www.geocities.com/chu_studios/Shoujocon2002.html

Ceres86
11-19-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Shinobu
Well acctually I saw two Japanese girls in a magazine that where famous all around for their costumes. Seems interesting.

Are you talking about Kaie Tada and Barbie Tsukino? They really ARE wonderful cosplayers. I just LOVE their costumes! *starry eyed*

한국에 유명한 코스프레이어 누군대요?? 그 코스프레이어스 홈페이지 주소도 보내줄수있습니까? :)

Mink
11-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Star cosplayers are intimidating, but alot of them are just really good at what they do. It kinda give you something to aspire to. I dont think it sometimes has as much to do with looks as it does a lack of clothing ;) sometimes, but I would agree that they can get annoying!

gsaint
11-20-2002, 09:00 AM
Thx!! I'll visit everywhere^^*

The most popular cosplayer is "Kkuem" in my opinion. She doesn't have her own homepage, but there is a fan site for her and it just looks like her personal site now. It's http://kkuem.cosplayer.co.kr
Another cool cosplayer is "One" who is kinda cute and she also has her fan site. http://ones-wing.wo.to/
And there is also a very big cosplay photo community site "Cosphoto" You can see many awesome pictures but I can't garantee everything is good..;; http://www.cosphoto.com Unfortunately, It's all written in Korean.^^;; I hope U see korean cosplay. And Don't forget those are not all of Korean cosplay!!

Famira Damaris
11-20-2002, 09:31 AM
*Looking at the cosphoto site* Whoa, KH Cloud! Bishy! XD

Nemui Yume
11-22-2002, 05:52 AM
Hi hi welcome to the board, it's always nice to see cosplayers all over the world ^~^ especially from Asia ^~^

i must say, i love your site~ your art is wonderful i love your designs they are inspiring to me ^~^ and your Lulu pics are very professional ^_^

there are a lot of "star cosplayers" but you shouldn't let that bother you since cosplay is for fun, but i guess it's always a competition with everyone that is so into a hobby like cosplay
i don't people should take it so seriously since it is fun ^_^

have a nice day ^_^

~Stella~

nekochan
11-22-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by gsaint
^^/ Wow!! So many people like many things about Korea! I thought Korea is not so famous^^;;

wait, there are a lot of people who know about korea! i thought that was everywhere. hehe.. i have a lot of very good friends that are korean.. and the culture exchange between us teaches us all :D it's great.

Haruka
11-24-2002, 10:50 AM
hello Gsaint! ^_^ its so good to see a cosplayer from another land ^.^..... we are all excited that you have decided to join our boards.
As for "star cosplayer" i really dont see anything wrong with them, unless they begin to think of them selfs better than every one else. I think that they can be good inspiration! There are lots of great cosplayers out there, whether they have their fan base or not doesnt really matter.....we can all learn alot from eachother!! ^__^

officer_fujita
11-28-2002, 12:44 AM
Hello Gsaint! I'm a fellow cosplayer from Asia (Philippines to be exact). As of now, we don't have "star cosplayers" yet, but I have to agree with Haruka that these popular cosplayers could serve as an inspiration to cosplayers, especially those who are starting out. Just as long as they don't get their popularity stuck in their heads, everything's ok. =]

We have only started including choreographed skits this year for our events. We did have skits included before, but most of them were impromptu so the quality weren't generally that great. I joined this year along with an acquaintance and we'll be doing a choreographed fight between Saitou and Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin. ^__^

Luna Moon
12-01-2002, 05:40 PM
안냥하십니까? :)

I've seen some really good Korean cosplayers.
But most of the ones I've seen were cosplaying as 가수.....mostly H.O.T hehehe

-Luna-

Famira Damaris
12-01-2002, 05:59 PM
True. It's always intimidating to see people miles better, but remember that they had to start somewhere too. :P

castleoutsider
03-31-2003, 04:29 AM
ah~! ^___^! ahnyoung! ah! *dies* im american but i LOVE Corean cosplay!! ahh! esp H.O.T cosplay. ah star ^^ huhu i know many famous choti cosplay~ is famous tony cosplay~ huhu at first she start out jaewon cosplay.. then tony heheh is good tony ^^! is kind of odd.. because sometime is girl is cosplay.. but girl looks really cute as choti ^^;;;; hehe so is odd to find girl attractive because look like choti hehe ^^;; ah i dont know if is same here.. i never been to a convention.. because my location is bad.. and i have no money --; huk~ ah but i wish to!! if more kpop cosplay!!! makes me SO happy! but then choti make me happy! puhahhahaha!!! ah;; i will go now ^^
ahnyoung!

love
chel
castleoutsider.cjb.net