PDA

View Full Version : Water tribe coat fabrics? [Korra SPOILERS]

namida009
07-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I was thinking of cosplaying young Noatak from Legend of Korra, and was wondering what kind of fabrics would be suitable, and yet not stiflingly hot (the con I'm going to is in September, but the building tends to be rather warm.) I was considering modifying a blue suit blazer, but I'm not sure if this is the best idea...
Any advice you can offer is much appreciated - thanks!
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n451/silentsky93/Noatak.jpg

tereshkova2001
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
A blazer won't give you the right shape for that coat, I'm afraid. My favorite source for Asian or other historical patterns is Folkwear. They have some historical Chinese patterns you could modify for that outfit.

As far as fabric goes, the Water Tribes would have mostly used leathers. Not a lot of sheep or cotton grows at the poles! That particular coat looks like it could be a wool gabardine or twill, though. A polyester or wool-poly blend would be a cheaper alternative.
But you said you wanted comfortable and breathable fabric. I'm not sure I can think of anything offhand that will look like that reference and be lightweight and not stifling. Take that picture to a fabric store and play around with different cottons and synthetics to see what looks and feels reasonable.