PDA

View Full Version : Convention Skit Rules, good, bad and should be

ki kuru kitty
02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
I Brought up this topic mainly becaus I have discussed the issue in many other threads. But never actually thought of finding it as a discussion to put on the table. But now I am, I have a few questions.

Skits that have already won an award at a previous convention, should they be allowed in other conventions?

Now I know people will have sorta alterations to skits, but I'm sure you understand the gist of what I'm saying.

Multiple awards, should contestants be allowed to win only one award or as many as possible?

When you feel that best in show doesn't deserve to win, do you still congratulate them?

Do you feel best in craftmanship deserve best in show although that there maybe a better skit but they had their outfits commision?

Remedies for Stage Fright? Mine is I don't look at the audience most of the time.

Skit flukes, what to do? (Sound tech mess up, forget something, hurt yourself)

How did you know you were ready for the spotlight at a con?

Your first time on stage, do you go up in a big con or a small con your first time?
P.S
For any new cosplayers or basically all cosplayers that participate in cosplay skits. Please be nice with the workers working the cosplay contest. Its very difficult and stressful from what I've seen.

RHIshida
02-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Skits that have already won an award at a previous convention, should they be allowed in other conventions?

I don't see any reason why not.

Multiple awards, should contestants be allowed to win only one award or as many as possible?

I think that if someone is good enough to win two or more awards, that they should.

When you feel that best in show doesn't deserve to win, do you still congratulate them?
Of course! There's still a reason that they won best in show :)

Do you feel best in craftmanship deserve best in show although that there maybe a better skit but they had their outfits commision?

I believe the best costume should win, whether or not it was commissioned. It's still a costume after all, and after you commission it and pay for it, it is your costume, though you should be kind enough to give credit to whoever made your costume. :)

Remedies for Stage Fright? Mine is I don't look at the audience most of the time.

That "Imagine all of them in their underwear" thing doesn't work. It makes you bust out laughing. The best thing is to just go out there and give it your all. Once you get out there, you are no longer afraid.

Do what most great actors does. Improvise! If a sound doesn't come on at the moment you want, stall until they get it going. If you hurt yourself, try to tie it into the skit. If you forget something, make some stuff up. The audience will NEVER know you screwed up if you play along. They'll think it's all apart of the act :)

You do it when you're ready. This year, I want to do a skit because I feel that it is my time :)

Your first time on stage, do you go up in a big con or a small con your first time?

Well, Animazement is a relatively small convention compared to many others, so I'm going to say small con.

For any new cosplayers or basically all cosplayers that participate in cosplay skits. Please be nice with the workers working the cosplay contest. Its very difficult and stressful from what I've seen.

Oh yes. They put alot of time and effort into the cosplay contests and should be given lots of good comments. You also should listen to everything that they say, because there's a reason they're running the contests. :)

KenkakuHimura
02-08-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm putting together a Rurouni Kenshin skit... Its my 1st time too.. Its going to be nervous for me... The skit will be a fight scene probobly of Kenshin vs Enishi, Saitou, or Jin'eh. (Kaoru is at al three too, hm, what a coincedence that my gf is going as Kaoru. lol) but.. eh, just go at it with your best. Since I'm a complete RK freak I might be too excited in the skit. lol

Miaka No Baka
02-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Now I know people will have sorta alterations to skits, but I'm sure you understand the gist of what I'm saying.

no I don't think so, I know of someone who's done this and it really pisses me off esp since they win doing the same skit 2 times or more -_-;

[FONT=Times New Roman]

No you should only be allowed to win 1 of the main awards, judges awards are different as to they are based solely on the judges preference. But if the convention does have a total separate craftsmanship category from presentation then maybe 1 from each category but that'd be tops.

[FONT=Times New Roman]

sure smile and nod and congratulate them, if it really bothers you then go bitch and whine to your friends ^_~

[FONT=Times New Roman]

NO, never should ANY commissioned costume win any award in any convention. I don't care if you spent your hard earned money on it, it's still not fair to the rest of the masquerade contestants who spent their time creating their work. Also I don't care if you say it's commissioned or not and don't enter it for craftsmanship, the costume's look still plays a big part in the overall score for the skit. It's still giving you the upper hand in things and yeah it's not fair at all. If it's commissioned see if they'll let you exhibit meaning you are not eligible for any awards it's basically just showing it off, if they won't then simply don't enter. Save it for the halls! A different situation is where 1 group member makes all of the costumes, that's different than entering commissioned work because the group member is present, is an active participant and what not. It's not like I went to cospa and bought it off the rack.

[FONT=Times New Roman]

The way most lighting at cons is, it makes it extremely hard to see the audience to begin with. At least it is for me, it could just be the ways my eyes are. I don't get nervous persay since I've done masquerades since '98 but do make sure you use the bathroom before you go on, preferibly as close to your time that you go on is best because you never know, being nervous and what not it may cause an accient ;_; Just breathe and relax, if you've practiced it tons of times just treat it as if it was practice and the audience is non existant.

[FONT=Times New Roman]

You just roll with it, there's not much you can do, sometimes the convention staff can stop your skit before you do the whole thing, work on the snafu, and have the show go on and have you go on last to remedy this. Other issues it's just best to roll with it and pretend that you meant it to happen that way. Also make sure you make your soundtrack as perfect as possible that way there'll be little reasons to cause a snafu to happen. Like make sure it's track 1 if a cd, if a tape, pre-cue it to the right spot. Give exact times off the cd track if you need lights dimmed or raised at parts of the skit. The more exact you are the better running the skit will be.

[FONT=Times New Roman]

My first time was with the anime club from my hs, we went as people from ff7. We did it for fun it was a simple walk on, then walk off. It like a cool idea at the time and I've been doing it ever since.

[FONT=Times New Roman]

Pick whichever you feel comfortable with. A small con might be a little easier and smaller cons are easier to win awards at if that's the aspect you're going for especially for a new comer. For larger cons like AX, the competition is really stiff and can often be discouraging to a new comer so take what you want and do what you feel comfortable with ^_^

Miaka no Baka

K_Valentine
02-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Skits that have already won an award at a previous convention, should they be allowed in other conventions? Now I know people will have sorta alterations to skits, but I'm sure you understand the gist of what I'm saying.

Are movies that won Oscars in 2002 allowed to win Oscars in 2004?

I'd prefer to see if each entry gets some individual achievement award. Not just limited to best this or best that. Have some fun with it like "Most likely to scare the normal people" award and such. As for the serious awards, one per entry. I get the idea that they were good after the first award.

-Yes. It's good manners and sportsmanship to. Bitch and moan about it and someone's going to find out that you've bitched and moaned about it.

Commissioned should be not eligible for award. Perform a skit in commissioned for exhibition, but not competition. The skits and costumes are supposed to be YOUR effort, and effort should not include "Being able to find someone to do it for you."

It'll be easier if lines are pre-recorded and played during the skit so speaking will be one less thing to worry about. Practicing a lot will help iron out the kinks and ease the stress.

Keep going with it or even take advantage of it. In one skit I was in, NOTHING went right. Sound, lighting, curtain, stage hands, and even props went buggy. We just kept going. Won Most Humorous Award.

^^; I was drunk when I agreed to be part of a skit for the first time. ^^;

But seriously, I did choreographed dances in traditional costumes in a packed theater, walked a parade in uncomfortable traditional costume complete with Miss America-style waving at the spectators, spent an hour kissing a girl I never met in front of people I didn't know who pointed spotlights and cameras at us (I was three years old doing a magazine ad), and even did a euology at a teacher's funeral. Doing a skit at a con is the least nerve-wracking public performance for me. At least I know my friends are watching and supporting me.

You're either ready or you're not. Size won't matter if you're not ready.

Scortia
02-08-2004, 03:30 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman]
I Brought up this topic mainly becaus I have discussed the issue in many other threads. But never actually thought of finding it as a discussion to put on the table. But now I am, I have a few questions.

Nope... our group does it for two cons usually, though because one is very small and the other has no competition just random skits... so it's fair and more people see our skits.

Most multiple awards would be judge's awards in addition so no prob there

I don't necessarily get to talk to all the groups anyway... and... best of show is different for all cons but some do best of show craftsmanship and b.o.s. for skits.
[quote[

[/QUOTE]

Stage fright... don't write yourself too much dialogue... it's important to look at the audience, IMHO. rehearse a bunch too. Skit flukes, prepare how to entertain the audience. How did I know? I'm a natural comedian ;p My first time on stage was A-kon... with a skit developed BACKSTAGE... hahaha, never again ^^;

ki kuru kitty
02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh man! I just wrote a big response and it was like stongbad said "DELETED!" So um... *brain fart* I'll get back with deeper thought another time.

Ok first thought, short. I think people got confused with my " Do you feel best in craftmanship deserve best in show although that there maybe a better skit but they had their outfits commision?" questions. Now what I ment is a craftmanship winning automatically. I feel that all skits deserve a chance at best in show. But also I know Best in show is 50/50 between craft and skit. But sometimes I see best craft not doing a skit or a skit that doesn't deserve best show. Because best SHOW is for a performance, mainly for visually stimulating performance.
Now my first response was deeper but this one. bleh, sorry.

Also I don't know why this was moved, specially when there wasn't any announcement about where it was moved to so I'm guessing its in the serious discussion because of everyone deep passionate response, thanks. I'm just upset because since it is moved it will not stay up on the page when there is a response.

Eriol
02-08-2004, 05:50 PM
NO, never should ANY commissioned costume win any award in any convention.....the costume's look still plays a big part in the overall score for the skit. It's still giving you the upper hand in things and yeah it's not fair at all. If it's commissioned see if they'll let you exhibit meaning you are not eligible for any awards it's basically just showing it off, if they won't then simply don't enter. Save it for the halls! A different situation is where 1 group member makes all of the costumes, that's different than entering commissioned work because the group member is present, is an active participant and what not. It's not like I went to cospa and bought it off the rack.

Then change the rules. I would love to see a competition based solely on acting and skit presentation. No points given to the costume. You just have to wear a costume.

Sometimes, I wish there was a cosplay competition based on the The Gong Show (the judges can prematurely end the skit for lack of entertainment; obviously audience heckling and booing wouldn't work too well given the maturity of some congoers).

At least Ushicon just dispenses with the award aspect entirely. That might be the best solution: remove all awards from the equation.

Sarcasm-hime
02-09-2004, 02:31 AM
I don't see what's wrong with the ICG system (http://www.costume.org/documents/guidelines.html). If a costume has won a major award, you don't compete with it again at that level of competition. You can show it off out-of-competition (exhibition). Taking the same costume/skit to convention after convention and winning over and over is just tacky. And I don't think that commissioned/bought costumes belong in competition; they should be for exhibition only.

Under ICG guidelines, "Best in Show" is the performance that excels in *both* entertainment and appearance. If a costume is phenomenal but the presentation is weak, the costume would get a craftsmanship award only.

Miaka No Baka
02-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Then change the rules. I would love to see a competition based solely on acting and skit presentation. No points given to the costume. You just have to wear a costume.

Sometimes, I wish there was a cosplay competition based on the The Gong Show (the judges can prematurely end the skit for lack of entertainment; obviously audience heckling and booing wouldn't work too well given the maturity of some congoers).

At least Ushicon just dispenses with the award aspect entirely. That might be the best solution: remove all awards from the equation.

It's hard to say, for your overall look does play some part in the judging process. I mean think of it this way, say 2 groups do equally awesome skits, you like them the same but you can't choose, Say one group has awesome made costumes and everyone looks good in them, the other group has really crappy costumes they're poorly made and they don't look good in them. Which would you pick? that's right, the group with the better looking costumes. That's why it's like when you commission work the quality of work is usually a lot better than the average cosplayer's work. So technically you are having the upper hand in that aspect.

Miaka no Baka

ki kuru kitty
02-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Well it still seems like craftmanship is still a little over dominant in where I'm getting at. Now I don't know who brought up people have commision work competing in craftmanship; but obviously that's illegal and not where I'm trying to get at.

Well here are my answers to my questions.

"Like someone said before, repeating skits is tacky. I agree, also I was told by someone that if a skit was done at a previous con it can't be repeated. Is this true? I've seen this done anyway."

"No I don't think contestants should win multiple awards. Because I feel that if they won something, they've been reconized. I don't know anyone that says 'I'm gonna win all the awards at this con!' Obviously people will feel proud winning one. Also there are a lot of other contestants and a lot who actually work hard. Last I feel that multiple awards is like a judge choosing a favorite rather then judging craftmanship and performance.

"I do congratulate the winner, I don't like to complain if I don't win or think someone doesn't deserve to win. Unless they bribed the judges which I have seen done before."

"If someone competing in craftmanship wins best in craftmanship I don't feel they should also win best in show. If your in craftmanship do a walk on. If your doing a skit but have craftmanship in your costumes, what do you do? I guess try out for both. Most likely they'll win best in show. But shouldn't win twice. I guess they should either compete for best in level(novice, Journymen) or best in show."

"Like I said, my remedy for stage fright is not looking at the audience. Also you may want to control your breathing and not stare at the lights."

"Of course, improvise. But more so expect a problem. I always expect something wrong to happen. But rather then to improvise I also plan a backup plan just in case. for ALL worse case scenerios!"

"I didn't care, but I was always afraid of Otakon at first."

"I started at a small con. I guess because it wouldn't be as harsh if you weren't up to par with competition."

Miaka No Baka
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Awards are great! Fun! Whatever, its NICE to be recognized for your craftsmanship, but NOT nice to have loud groups of dissenters bitching about how they were robbed and whatnot based soely on the fact that *they* thought they were good, when they dont measure up. Its like American Idol really, I dont know how many of you watch the show, but when you see the 15th loud off key person up there butchering some Celine Dion song and then arguing that they are SOOOO good because they said so/their mother said so/ ect you just want to reach up and RIP your hair out because its OBVIOUSLY not true just because they 'say so'

Hello! Your seams look like crap and your costumes falling apart! Im thrilled that your having fun more power to you! But dont even TRY to whine about how robbed you were by someone with a well made costume!

what if the group or entry who won whatever craftsmanship award had a really poorly made costume? I've been to cons where their idea of craftsmanship judging is just seeing it up on stage, not getting up close and personal inspecting seams and what not. I've seen stuff that looks like utter complete crap compared to lots of other costumes when it comes to construction, it was hot glued (poorly at that) safety pinned together, basically it'll only hold up for the time it's on stage, not for the test of time like a truly well made costume should. Wouldn't you agree it's fair to complain in a situtation like that?

Miaka no Baka

Miaka No Baka
02-09-2004, 08:08 PM
I think the thing with that is up close it looks like garbage but from the judges vantage point in the audience they couldn't tell the difference. That's why I hate it when things like that happen. If you're gonna call it "craftsmanship awards" then by all means get up close and inspect them PRIOR to the contest X_X I've seen plenty a costume where up close it looks horrible but it's very well passable for looking well made on stage =(

Miaka no Baka

Sarcasm-hime
02-11-2004, 11:24 AM
This is why I like the ICG system...because the craftsmanship judging is done in the Greenroom before you go onstage. If you want to be judged for Craftsmanship/Workmanship, you go up to the judge and tell her about your costume. You point out the things you think you did well and show her everything she needs to see to make a good decision. If you only want to be judged on part of your costume (like the props), that's okay too. It works really well, especially in cases where the details wouldn't be visible from the audience (like with my Windy costume).

katrinastrife
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
*all the stuff you said in your prior post, too*

I *firmly* belive that costumes should be investigated upclose by construction judges, but when the group that looks good from the stage looses and whines, tooo baddd for them. Id rather see a simple but well made costume win over an elaborate mess of hotglue saftey pins ruffles and sequins!

Amen! Competing isn't about giving out awards to "fun" or "proud" people, it's about giving them to the best (LOL, which is why I haven't won any yet! *needs to practice sewing more). Anyway, more power to those that compete, more power to those who just go it to have a good time. But, I guess you just have to deal with how the awards are awarded. >,< I agree, strongly, that best of show should be based on construction and craftsmanship; the best skit award should go to the best performer (though, yeah, costume might play a role in that, since performers are judged on appearance, too). Most of the Florida conventions have either split up the Cosplay and Costume contests, or (in the case of MegaCon) decided just to do a pre-judged costume contest (I.E.: costumes are judged prior to stage show, awards are given out, what you do on stage really has no effect on your costume score).

Bitch and moan about it and someone's going to find out that you've bitched and moaned about it.

Ain't that the truth...

Eccoglyph
02-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm of the mindset that a winning skit should not be repeated at other cons - once you've won, give others a chance. But for me, this has flex - if you performed at a local con, and want to enter in a big one, I don't think there should be a rule to stop you. Use your moral sense. Though this may be considered a double-standard by some - I have no problem with people entering a winning costume into other cons during the year. Maybe because I see costumes as something durable, and skits as one-shot deals.

Multiple awards - nothing wrong with it. If a group was good enough to win many awards, then I'd be happy that I was there to see it.

Commissioned costumes - wear them, flaunt them, don't compete with them. All you're saying is "my seamstress is better than yours." Sounds to me like the fashion spectacle at the Oscars.

Heh - skit flukes. The sound part's easy - we put everything on 1 track on the CD - the ONLY track. And we bring many copies. If we mess up in the routine, well, likely we've already had to cope with that in practice and can get past it.

1st con performance was at a big con because we didn't think about that aspect. We just wanted to perform something, and Otakon was coming up. Learned a LOT by the next time around.

Stage fright! 2 words - motor memory. Some people prefer to improv on the stage but I'm not one of them - my mind freezes. So my body had better know the routine down cold.

Its interesting to see people's takes on these questions. I wonder if the rest of my group shares my opinions... these topics have never come up.

rhichan
02-11-2004, 04:46 PM
1)Skits that have already won an award at a previous convention, should they be allowed in other conventions?

2)Multiple awards, should contestants be allowed to win only one award or as many as possible?

3)When you feel that best in show doesn't deserve to win, do you still congratulate them?

4)Do you feel best in craftmanship deserve best in show although that there maybe a better skit but they had their outfits commision?

5)Remedies for Stage Fright? Mine is I don't look at the audience most of the time.

6)Skit flukes, what to do? (Sound tech mess up, forget something, hurt yourself)

7)How did you know you were ready for the spotlight at a con?

8)Your first time on stage, do you go up in a big con or a small con your first time?

1) No, no and no. Masquerades have limited spots for skits. So if you've done it once, whether or not you've won, come up with something new or let some one new take your spot. It's only fair to give others the chance you were fortunate enough to have.

2) I would prefer one award per a person so that more people's hard work is reconized. I never like it at any awards event when one person sweeps everything. It makes it less dramatic and interesting.

3) I go up to those that I liked and let them know. Even if I didn't like it and knew the person in the skit, I'll find something to compliment them on.

4) No. Having a good skit and a good costume are two very, very different things. (Yes, I'm stealing this from the person that said, "Does the same movie win the oscar twice?") You don't automatically win best movie because you nabbed best actor.

5) I couldn't offer any help there, I don't get stage fright.

6) Good ole imporv! You gotta learn to roll with the punches. There's a few games you can learn to play to help with your improv skills and you'll be able to handle anything with grace.

7) I was born ready, baby. Why don't you see me in skits, though? I HATE competing.

8) It was a rather large gathering. (AXNY '02... I was in the Di Gi Charat Panyo! Panyo! skit)