PDA

View Full Version : American "manga" costumes at Anime Cons?

Hanyaan
02-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Is it normally acceptable to wear costumes from American "manga" to anime cons? (American "manga" being things like Death: At Death's Door, Reality Check, or Rising Stars of Manga.) I know that manhwa costumes are pretty common, but I'm not sure if the same "rule" would apply to American manga-style works cosplay. XD

(Sorry for my "excessive" use of quote marks.)

murmur
02-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Really, I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable; from what I've seen at the cons I've been to, there's such a broad range of cosplay that it's not uncommon to see american comic book or superhero characters, or, for a real stretch, one or two characters from saturday morning cartoons.

Anyway, I hope it is, I'm workin' on an "At Death's Door" costume right now :)

Hanyaan
02-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Can I ask which costume you're doing? I'm working on that Super Impressive Victorian Vinyl Death. You know, the most evilly complicated Death outfit in existance? Yeah, that's the one I'm doing. (God I'm a masochist sometimes.) It's costing me 300 bucks but that's OK, it's my baby costume and I want to wear it EVERYWHERE!

Hikaruchan
02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I have worn A Distant Soil (which is anime influenced) costume to anime cons with no problems. Go for it, I really like the Death character from Sandman - so I would be a happy picture taking fangirl if saw one in halls.

murmur
02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Can I ask which costume you're doing? I'm working on that Super Impressive Victorian Vinyl Death. You know, the most evilly complicated Death outfit in existance? Yeah, that's the one I'm doing. (God I'm a masochist sometimes.) It's costing me 300 bucks but that's OK, it's my baby costume and I want to wear it EVERYWHERE!

*lol* I know the feeling, once I get my hands on a semi-decent top hat, I'm gonna have me a signature character. I'm starting with the manga cover image for the first costume, for the spring, and then if I have time I want to do the "Is this what you were expecting" costume for summer, with the horns and the corset and the skirt slit wayyy up the leg.

KuroBara
02-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I think it's acceptable, especially since so many "Ameri-manga" artists are guests at cons (Fred "Piro" Gallagher, Studio Tavicat, etc.). Actually, Megan's school uniform from "Shutterbox" is on my wishlist. Besides, people wear LoTR, Harry Potter & Star Wars costumes at anime cons, it's just like one big costume party.

Hanyaan- Your costume sounds really cool, good luck & I can't wait to see it!

Hanyaan
02-08-2004, 09:39 PM
*lol* I know the feeling, once I get my hands on a semi-decent top hat, I'm gonna have me a signature character. I'm starting with the manga cover image for the first costume, for the spring, and then if I have time I want to do the "Is this what you were expecting" costume for summer, with the horns and the corset and the skirt slit wayyy up the leg.

HAHA! I'm doing the "is this what you were expecting" costume too! ^___^ It's soooo evilly hard, though...especially those shoes, which hurt like hell.

Thanks to all you guys for advising me. ^_^ Now I know that I could wander around anime cons as Death and have people actually like it!

duck
02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Yay! I think it is perfectly acceptable.

I have the "At Death's Door" cover image in my plans, or at least an adaptation of it. I thought about the "Is this what you were expecting?" image for a long while, but I can't really pull off tall and slinky.=) I'm looking forward to seeing your costumes!