PDA

View Full Version : My 9 year old sister took my photos. What do you think?

natsuo
07-15-2012, 10:16 PM
If you go to my Kairi costume gallery, you will see the photos that my sister took of me. She is only 9 and I felt she did a great job.

But what could we improve?

Is my "modeling" okay? Does it seem too forced?

THANK YOU!

SweeneyTodd
07-16-2012, 02:42 AM
I think your sister did a wonderful job!
Also, you're very pretty, and your cosplays look awesome!

brucer007
07-16-2012, 04:57 AM
The soft lighting looks nice on your face but it could use some more warm color to go with your warm smile.

Your sister used a wide-angle lens, standing less than 6 feet away from you. This made your head look too big for your body. I suggest she uses a tele-photo lens like 85mm and be photographed from 6 to 10 feet away to avoid this distortion.

Shooting straight into walls can make for a boring background. Try using backgrounds that are far away to give your composition more depth' and possibly more out of focus backgrounds, so they are less distracting on the cosplayer.

I don't know your character, but your smiles seem nearly all the same. Try a variety of expressions with smiling bigger, and more subtlely. Try raising an eyebrow or two.

I like that sometimes you did not always look at the lens.

MoradoFlower
07-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree it makes your head look larger, but that kind of works for ANIME STYLE so I personally liked it. However, I am no photographer, this is just a PERSONAL liking for these specific photos.

Variety of expressions -- I practice by looking in the mirror. Then I know what faces make me look silly, and which ones I could pull off :)

evaunit01berser
07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3245100/

have another question? I am hoping your sister is standing on something, otherwise she is 7 feet tall.

sunseenli
07-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Your sister did an amazing job, I can't believe she's only 9!

cas324dre
07-19-2012, 08:57 PM
When I was about, I'd say, 18 or 19 years old, I wanted to be a part of the CIA just because they know those intimate secrets... So I was just always into knowing. I like to know things.

cas324dre
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
If you're writing a photo critique with the intention of helping a photographer improve their work, it's important that your critique has a clear structure so the photographer can easily pick out the key points. Read on for a 5-step 'how to' guide that will give you a simple plan to follow when writing critiques

:)

natsuo
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3245100/

have another question? I am hoping your sister is standing on something, otherwise she is 7 feet tall.

She is standing on a chair yes lol

natsuo
08-08-2012, 08:18 AM
She also took all of the new pics if you wanna check them out too :)

brucer007
08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I agree it makes your head look larger, but that kind of works for ANIME STYLE so I personally liked it. However, I am no photographer, this is just a PERSONAL liking for these specific photos...

I know what you mean about Anime characters having larger heads proportionately than real humans, but when you do this effect with lens distortions, it does not look the same as the "Anime Style" you referred to. Anime characters with large heads look large even when drawn from a undistorted perspective. When you see them straight on ( from waist level), rather than from the lens being over them, they have large heads. Shooting from high up also shortens the body and the legs.

yumi_shika
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Agree with brucer, especially this one
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3245101/
I find it.. Very unproportional.
I personally prefer using some wider shots, and mix them with full close up pics.
Oh and, make sure there's no part of you cropped in the photo, like in this picture, you elbow is cropped
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3245099/
For a 9 year old she did a great job tho ;)

Lina Simth
12-06-2012, 01:37 AM
I think your 9 year old sister is helpful, she is so young for me.