PDA

View Full Version : COSTUMECON 2010 in Ontario?

Kaijugal
02-09-2004, 05:20 PM
:bouncer: This is to announce that London, Ontario will be bidding for CostumeCon (http://www.cc22.org/) 28, in 2010.

The bid is being chaired by Alixandra Jordan. She has support pledged for this bid by various costumers, including the Sick Pups (New Jersey/New York Costumers Guild). (http://www.sickpups.org/)

The convention is to be held on the American long weekend in May, 2010 to allow for the extra distances that they have to travel.

More news concerning the bid in a few days.

Kia
02-10-2004, 07:56 AM
REALLY?!?!?! WOW!!! ...... first World Con and now maybe Costume Con ... I love living in Ontario! ^_^

BTW - anyone else think it's bizzar that these have been moved to the "Other Conventions" forum?

Kaijugal
02-11-2004, 12:06 AM
REALLY?!?!?! WOW!!! ...... first World Con and now maybe Costume Con ... I love living in Ontario! ^_^

BTW - anyone else think it's bizzar that these have been moved to the "Other Conventions" forum?

Yah I thought that was kind of wierd as well, as we've pretty much gotten in the habit of posting anything local, (read: central canadian, LOL) under ANIME NORTH.. Heh. Ah well. I'm sure Admin had a good reason.

Admin
02-11-2004, 02:05 AM
I didn't move it. But by practice the mods move any off-topic posts they come across to their appropriate forums, and since it wasn't an Anime North thread whoever moved it was just following the rules. And then if a convention has enough interest on this site to warrant its own forum, then we go that extra step as well.

Kia
02-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Um... Admin, if you look at the Anime North forum itself I'd say that over half the posts there are NOT about Anime North, but more about other cons and things that the cosplayers in Southern Ontario find useful if kept in one general location. Although after saying this I'm really afraid that a mod will go and clear out the entire Anime North board, leaving behind the whole 3 or 4 AN specific threads (PLEASE DON'T). I've been on this board for over a year and I've found that if a topic concerning Ontario cosplayers is NOT in that section it doesn't get any attention from the people it is intended for.
And in the entire time I've been on the board I don't recall EVER seeing a thread in the AN forum be relocated. This just threw me for a loop. PLEASE don't let anyone come and whipe our mini board. Yes it is cluttered, but we've found that it works best for us. ^_^

Kaijugal
02-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Admin,

No, it's not a problem, I think we were just stating why we've done this in the past.

Costume Con is probably the single coolest costumers related con and it sure may deserve it's own forum. Like worldcon it travels every year, this post was specifically related to a Costumecon, not far from the city Anime North is held in.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

~Kaijugal

Admin
02-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Um... Admin, if you look at the Anime North forum itself I'd say that over half the posts there are NOT about Anime North, but more about other cons and things that the cosplayers in Southern Ontario find useful if kept in one general location. Although after saying this I'm really afraid that a mod will go and clear out the entire Anime North board, leaving behind the whole 3 or 4 AN specific threads (PLEASE DON'T). I've been on this board for over a year and I've found that if a topic concerning Ontario cosplayers is NOT in that section it doesn't get any attention from the people it is intended for.
And in the entire time I've been on the board I don't recall EVER seeing a thread in the AN forum be relocated. This just threw me for a loop. PLEASE don't let anyone come and whipe our mini board. Yes it is cluttered, but we've found that it works best for us. ^_^
Well maybe this means it's about time for forums for non-American cons, like one for Canada, one for Japan, etc. Would this help?

Kia
02-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Well maybe this means it's about time for forums for non-American cons, like one for Canada, one for Japan, etc. Would this help?
Perhaps... I'd actually never thought of doing it that way before. I'm just used to having all "Ontario" stuff in one place, but it's true that in the past I've seen threads in the Anime North section discussing .... whatever the name of that con in British Columbia. I can't speak for everyone, but I think that that may be a really good idea. At least that way we can legitimately keep all our threads in one place and not have to worry that they may get lost in another forum where no one will find them. ^_^
Thanks Admin, you're awsome!

dani
02-12-2004, 08:33 AM
How about a regional forum for non-con specific postings? Like meetings, sales, photoshoots....

Dani

Kia
02-12-2004, 12:50 PM
How about a regional forum for non-con specific postings? Like meetings, sales, photoshoots....

Dani
I like how the Anime North forum works, where everything relating to our area is in one general location. It makes everything easy to find. I think if everything started being split up into a million other sub boards that things would get alot messier than they already are. I think the only problem may be that people who don't frequent the AN forum get really confused by the amount of non-AN discussion that occurs in that forum, which is why someone went in and started to play around with the threads that were there. It's not a major issue, but it seems that people don't know that most of the Canadian cosplayers (and some American ones who attend AN) tend to congragate there. It works. ^_^
Dani, your suggestion is a legitimate one, which would be nice to have, but I've often found that we shouldn't press our luck.

Eleryth
03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Did anything come of this? I didn't even know this thread existed... Probably because I never checked the "Others" thread. Except for once about Comiket.

Gravely
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
It's the service mark holder/founders ( my wife Karen, who'll sign up on here real soon now ;-) understanding that this bid has folded.
technically there are no official bids for that year yet, as paperwork has not been filed.
However, there are two groups still planning to bid. one for New England, and one for Milwaukee.

They have committees, and are working on their plans.

Kaijugal
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes , unfortunately I have also heard that this bid is no longer being persued.

Darn it eh? :lost:

Thank you to those of you who expressed interest. It looks like I'll have to alternate to plan B again, organizing the Canadian Cosutming Caravan to visit a Costume Con hosted by our southern neighbours.

Cheers!
~Kai / Dawn :)

Vessa-Sushi
03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Go for it Dawn! I bet there are a lot of people who would jump the bandwagon for a mass visit to the Costume Con.

~Vessa

Costumers
12-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Kaijugal,

You know, there still isn't a bid for CC29 yet. Can your new chapter organize a Canadian bid for 2011?

Pierre

Enk
12-04-2006, 06:18 PM
oh you guys should totally do that! 2011? CostumeCon in Canada? I'll be there no matter where in the world I am!

Kaijugal
12-08-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure. ^_^ It's not a half bad idea. :toothy:

P.S. You are evil for planting the seed of the idea. *mischevious grin*

Kaijugal,

You know, there still isn't a bid for CC29 yet. Can your new chapter organize a Canadian bid for 2011?

Pierre

Buddycat
12-08-2006, 09:35 PM
It's a thought, you know - then you wouldn't be competing with another bid.

Sarcasm-hime
12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Hehe I won't deny I'd like a CC here...although Dawn and I would probably end up doing a big chunk of the work. :P

Eleryth
12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
If I'm in the area then (who can say? It's lots of years away, still, and I'm not even sure where I'll be heading next year) I'll definitely help out.

KittyCanuck
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Hehe I won't deny I'd like a CC here...although Dawn and I would probably end up doing a big chunk of the work. :P

What kind of work is involved? Would it be work related to getting it here, or work related to running it here? Both? I have practically zero knowledge of this, but I'm curious now.

(a serious question on the type of work involved, not a "how hard could it be lolz?" question)

BoinkCoBoy
03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
What kind of work is involved? Would it be work related to getting it here, or work related to running it here? Both? I have practically zero knowledge of this, but I'm curious now.

(a serious question on the type of work involved, not a "how hard could it be lolz?" question)

Visit this page: http://www.costume-con.org/constitution.shtml for the basics about the bidding, etc. process for a Costume-Con.

It's the place to start if you are thinking about it.