PDA

View Full Version : Islander Hotel information and the breakdown of a con cost

Kusanagi
11-10-2002, 06:05 PM
I got off my arse and did some research on the hotels in the area around AX03, and I really lucked out.

I worked out two scenarios, and this big block of text that follows will probably be most useful to people in the San Diego area.

If you just want information about the hotel, then scroll down to the bottom of the post. :)

Myself and 3 friends are looking at going to the expo. Now, in order to do this, the 4 of us were going to need to find a hotel in close proximity to the center, and find it fast. Since we were all poor, we needed to find a budget hotel.

Someone posted in the hotels and roommates thread a link to a bunch of hotels in anaheim, so I looked at all of them, paying attention to the Islander that I had also heard someone mention.

----Scenario A----

The cheapest motel I could find had a rate of $50 a night but was 5 miles to the convention center.

3 nights = $160 with taxes. Split between 4 people - $40 each.

Registration for AX: (assuming it's the same for Comic-Con) $45 each.

Parking for 3 days: (again assuming its the same as parking in the downtown area of San Diego during a con): $20 per day. Thats $60 per day per vehicle. Take 2 vehicles, thats $120 in parking alone. Split between 4 people: $30 each for parking.

Food: Considering how expensive food is up there, figure $50 each for food that weekend. (I know I would spend that much cause I like to eat ;) )

Gas: 180 miles round trip from San Diego to LA, so thats a full tank of gas for each car. Figure $25 a tank, thats $12 a person for gas.

So, total cost with scenario A is around $180 a person to go.

----Scenario B----

Looking at the Islander Hotel, its ONE BLOCK from the convention center. Thats a good thing. However, they charge $89 a night for a room with two beds and a rollaway. (looks like someones sleeping on the floor or sharing a bed :p ) After I called the hotel, they told me it would be $307 total to stay for 3 nights. They do not charge extra for holidays. Split that 4 ways: $77 each.

Food: Now, the Islander has a minifridge in each room. That means we will probably take the majority of our food with us. Even so, we are probably going to eat at Denny's a few times that weekend. I guess $20 each for food.

Parking: If you're staying at the Islander, parking is free. So $0 each for parking.

Gas: Still $12 each.

Estimated total cost for Scenario B: $160 per person to go.

--------------Here is the bottom of the post with information for those that skipped ahead :D ------------------

The Islander Inn & Suites offers a newly designed property with all the alluring features of a larger hotel but at affordable rates. The hotel is located in the Anaheim Resort Area and is just ONE block away from Disneyland Park and the Anaheim Convention Center. Imagine the fun you'll have staying at the Islander Inn and walking a few fun-filled steps to the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland Park. Your enjoyment and satisfaction is our top priority.

One room with 2 beds and a rollaway is $89 a night.

Each room has a refridgerator, ironing board, coffee/tea maker (aka Instant Lunch maker) and I believe a microwave, but I'm not too sure on that.

Just wanted to draw to your attention that the Islander is probably the best deal you will find. :bouncer:

ChenCzen
11-10-2002, 07:12 PM
wow. im gonna get one me thinks...

but ill be staying alone as far as i know... soo all those costs will be on just me.

Mink
11-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Heres how it went down for me, for those people who are in large groups:

Im staying at the Dupre hotel, which is loacted two blocks from the convention center. The room that I am staying in is called the F5 suite, which is 4 queen beds in two rooms, thus holding 8 people. They charge 107 dollars a nite and with taxes thats 350 dollars. Split 8 ways is 43 dollars.

This hotel comes also with a fridge and a mirowave, so Im guessing 15 dollars on food.

Plus two tanks of gas (round trip from Arroyo Grande with two cars) 40 dollars divided by 8 is 5 dollars each

Plus 45 in registration costs, which brings the total up to: 110 dollars.

Sad that it will be cheaper to go to AX then Fanime. Really sad.

shiroi_yukiko
11-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Wheeeee! I'm staying at the Islander! I reserved my room a few weeks ago (in a fit of insanity related to the fact that I don't have another con until April!). For just my friend and I it's roughly $75.00/night , which is jolly good, because I'm used to paying upwards from $100/night. Of course, I still have to pay my plane fare all the way to CA... He he he.

Ayaka
11-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Hmm . . . >_< I'm all stumped as to where I should stay. Guess I'm going to be alone again this year, since I'm hardly stupid enough to believe that any of the people who said they'd come last year will come this year . . .

Does anyone know the area and know what the one block to the con center actually translates into? I mean, my hotel last year was technically a block away, but it was actually more like four, because of the layout of the convention center in Long Beach.

Marth
11-11-2002, 03:49 AM
Actually, there's a hotel that says that they're 2 blocks away from the convention center but it's really about a mile

Kusanagi
11-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Bad news...

The Islander won't let anyone under 21 check out a room...

shiroi_yukiko
11-11-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Kusanagi
Bad news...

Really? Hm. I should call them and have a chat with them then, because it didn't say anything about that when I reserved my room online... **;

Celine
11-11-2002, 11:46 PM
Bad news...

That's odd, most hotels only require you to be 18. ^^ Setting the age at 21 could be difficult for a lot of attendees! I wonder what their reason for that rule is...

Mink
11-11-2002, 11:48 PM
How retarded! I mean, they could potentially lose money in doing that, seeing as I am 18 as are a great deal of others Im assuming...*dont hurt me...*

shiroi_yukiko
11-11-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Mink
How retarded! I mean, they could potentially lose money in doing that, seeing as I am 18 as are a great deal of others Im assuming...*dont hurt me...*

It is a little silly. I'm looking into it though, since techinically even being 18 (which I am) they did let me reserve a room... even if it was online, I think it would be a little rediculous for them to take it away when I've already reserved it... but you never know, ne. I'll let everyone know what happens ASAP.

Kusanagi
11-12-2002, 06:31 PM
I called the hotel and talked to the guest services people about it. They still said it was no go.

But anyway, we ended up with a much greater deal. We got a hotel thats closer, that checks out to people who are 18. Plus we are getting a couple of suites, as the group jumped up from 4 people to at least 8...

Marth
11-12-2002, 08:31 PM
True dat Kusan! j/k (^_^)*

Anyways that was a hell of a deal! huh? ;)

shiroi_yukiko
11-12-2002, 11:50 PM
*spit* *hiss* Argh. This is annoying. *falls over*

Ayaka
11-13-2002, 03:30 AM
I remember finding a similar restriction when I was at AX last year. Um, I can't remember how we resolved it though. ^^;;; I'll find out and let you guys know, maybe it will be helpful . . .

shiroi_yukiko
11-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Okay, here's the scoop on my situation! I e-mailed the Islander (I have a certain phobia of talking on the phone) and they told me that as long as I was over 18 it would be fine. They went on to say that if I was a minor traveling alone, I would need a parent/guardians permission form, but I could still stay there. We sure are getting some conflicting info, ne, but at least I can still stay there.

Kusanagi
11-13-2002, 10:55 PM
Warumono! Check out the Alamo Inn and Suites...the rates are BETTER than the Islander and they have all the same perks! Thats the place we will be staying at. And its less than a 5 minute walk to the convention center...

shiroi_yukiko
11-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Warumono! Check out the Alamo Inn and Suites...the rates are BETTER than the Islander and they have all the same perks! Thats the place we will be staying at. And its less than a 5 minute walk to the convention center...

Ah, cool. Will do. I need to cut as many costs as I can, so cheaper is indeed much better! *runs off *

Kenshin Ken
11-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Hotels hotels ...^^; at least it's cheaper than staying at the Rennassaince last year hehe ^^;; * grumbles that they didn't ahve any air conditioning in the room except for a large vent under the window* ~_~;;

SohjiroX
11-15-2002, 04:22 PM
If anyone would like to make a room and such just ask I am trying to get one with people to not have to pay so much or if there people that need a person just ask, thanks.

Luna
11-28-2002, 01:43 AM
By the way, did they announce which hotel is going to be the Main Hotel for the Con? I mean, it's great to save money and stuff, but kinda neat to stay in the hotel where everything is happening....we stayed at Westin for AX 02, but we spent all our time hanging out at Hyatt anyways....

Morrissey
11-29-2002, 06:18 PM
I'm staying for free at the Anaheim Hilton hotel.