PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Become a Part oF PMX

Anele
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
To whom this may concern:

I have a deep urge to attend Pacific Media Expo. The way that the convention presents itself on the website, and through the kind, intelligent words of Shogun, has made me consider attending more so than ever.

I have heard of the benefits of attending as a volunteer / staff member (i.e. paid-for rooms, etc.). Although this may sound like a plea, I was thinking about assisting PMX in this way, both for the experience, and for the financial help.

I have not volunteered at a convention before, unfortunately, and I do not know if I will be legible for such a position at PMX. Being 18 years of age (19 the week before PMX), I have held a job in which two of the skills I needed to have was people interaction and staying on top of things (i.e. projects, etc.). Therefore, I am very good with people (I have acquired this both naturally and in the business world) and am a great task-handler.

Please let me know of your decision. I can give you a resume if needed.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and I hope to see your at PMX!

Yours Truly,
Anele

Morrissey
02-11-2004, 06:14 PM
You should send a PM to Shogun. He'd be the one to talk to. ^^

shogun
02-11-2004, 07:52 PM
To whom this may concern:

I have a deep urge to attend Pacific Media Expo. The way that the convention presents itself on the website, and through the kind, intelligent words of Shogun, has made me consider attending more so than ever.

I have heard of the benefits of attending as a volunteer / staff member (i.e. paid-for rooms, etc.). Although this may sound like a plea, I was thinking about assisting PMX in this way, both for the experience, and for the financial help.

I have not volunteered at a convention before, unfortunately, and I do not know if I will be legible for such a position at PMX. Being 18 years of age (19 the week before PMX), I have held a job in which two of the skills I needed to have was people interaction and staying on top of things (i.e. projects, etc.). Therefore, I am very good with people (I have acquired this both naturally and in the business world) and am a great task-handler.

Please let me know of your decision. I can give you a resume if needed.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and I hope to see your at PMX!

Yours Truly,
Anele

Your timing is rather good on this. We are always looking for volunteers and to me, I'd rather have young people who are enthusiastic about evangelizing than a jaded staffer with lots of experience but who doesn't believe in the cause anymore. We are getting ready to make a big staffing launch this week. I will follow-up to this post in a few days.

Thank you,

Mike

Clueless Case
02-12-2004, 12:21 AM
O I have friend who worked at AX03 as a translator. She was wondering if they need ne.

shogun
02-12-2004, 12:59 AM
O I have friend who worked at AX03 as a translator. She was wondering if they need ne.

I THINK all the AX03 interpreters have been asked over already. The AX03 Interpreters Manager is now working doing the same position within PMX. If she hasn't been contacted, I'm sure he would love to have her back.

Mike

shogun
02-12-2004, 04:53 AM
We have just updated our volunteer pages! Look and see what looks good for you. If you want to do something different, just follow-up with me.

http://www.pacificmediaexpo.com/pmx/community.html

Thanks again!

Mike

Anele
02-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Mike.

As of right now, it looks good as far as volunteering goes. I may be a full-time volunteer. That is... if I don't decide to take a summer course to get some credits out of the way.

And also, a question about registration. Is it mostly the same as AX-type registration, as in you register online, but you're not obligated to actually send in the money if, for example, you can't go?

Clueless Case
02-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Is there any way interpreters can request a position...

shogun
02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Is there any way interpreters can request a position...

We usually try to match the GoH personality to the interpreter. Good chemistry is critical. Most of the time, GoH's don't want interpreters who are big fans of their work. It makes them feel uncomfortable.

Mike

toddpw
02-13-2004, 01:15 AM
And also, a question about registration. Is it mostly the same as AX-type registration, as in you register online, but you're not obligated to actually send in the money if, for example, you can't go?

In short, Yes. This was always explained within online registration itself, but the main registration info page ought to say something. We have just rolled out a more complete PMX Reg info page, to address this and many other topics.

The "throwaway" online registration concept is something I pioneered for AX2000 -- the first of my four years as AX Registration Manager. It's a very simple and robust design, which I wrote from the ground up and hosted on my own web server.

When I grew tired of how AX management treats its staff and left AX to help start PMX, we adapted the system to PMX's policies and retained the Unpaid/Paid Pre-Registration model that had worked so well for us at AX.

Clueless Case
02-13-2004, 11:53 PM
It's not that. SHe doesnt want to be paried with someone she cant stand. I talked to her today. SHe says she hasnt been contacted to come back. I told her to email PMX to see what's going on. Is there ne thing more she can do?