PDA

View Full Version : Solo Skits

Kokuu
02-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Besides walkons, does anyone have good ideas for solo masquerade skits? I'm planning on cosplaying as Baralai from FFX-2 at Fanime Con this year, and I would rather have a creative skit of some sort instead of just a walk on. Something preferably humorous.

Scortia
02-20-2004, 12:30 AM
to the point is the best... otherwise, long monologues (unless you are a very talented speaker) are just dull.

Ali
02-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Solo skits are near impossible to pull off. I'd just go for the walk on. Less pressure, more costume. ^^

ZoraLink
02-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Can you do dances? Maybe do some trademark moves your character does. What's allowed? I've never been to a con.

Kia
02-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Perhaps have a silly voice over of sorts? Maybe along the lines of a Public Service Announcment? Think of somethign that relates to either your character or the game, but something that even a non-FF fan could understand. Solo skits CAN work, I have seen them done before and done well. ^_^
Good Luck! ^_^

dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn
02-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Kokuu, I saw someone who looks like you (judging by your picture) on TechTV's X-Play's con coverage episode (I think at Fanime). Was that you?

katrinastrife
02-29-2004, 09:05 PM
I agree with Ali... Unless you're well versed in acting, I'd say that just walking on is best. Doing a trademark pose is always cool, too. Just remember to stand still long enough for pictures!

Kokuu
02-29-2004, 10:36 PM
dEmEnTeDcHiCkEn-*grins* Yup! That was me on Tech TV at Fanime! Hehehehe... My 15 minutes of fame while cosplaying. Can't get much better then that.

Susumari
03-14-2004, 12:32 AM
yea, solor skits...hmm it has to be like comical and cool! some cosplayer should do like a pantomime with a great mix...wait someone did ^_^

Nine
03-28-2004, 01:31 PM
When I think of Solo Skits, I think of the following:

Monologues - Like it was suggested, unless you're not very good at public speaking, and writing, monologues can seem long and boring. Also, not everyone, especailly the judges, know what character you're cosplaying, so monologues with a lot of reference to things from the series you're cosplaying from can be boring as well, unless you're cosplaying Sailor Moon, or some Pokemon character. XD

Dancing - Dancing can be a good thing to do alone, but again if you're not a very good dancer, and if you're trying to dance seriously with no real point, then that's pretty much bad.

Singing - Not a good idea if you can't sing, unless again, you're trying to be funny.

Skit - Skit? With one person? I guess this could be concidered a monologue, but you can pretend to be two people if you have a split personality, or talk to someone who isn't there, or maybe interact with the audience if that isn't against the cosplay masquerade rules at the con you're preforming at.

Solo skits are very hard to pull off, but if you can you'll be a favorite. :)

Scoti
04-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I think you have a few options with Baralai. For instance
[potential spoiler?]
* You can toy with the whole Shuyin possession thing. I think it would be kinda neat if you had a friend do a Shuyin voice for you and tape it. It would sort of be a monologue but expressing the “internal struggle” between Baralai and Shuyin.
[/potential spoiler?]

OR an idea that I was going to use was a journal entry. You could tape what he’s thinking during or even after the game and pretend your writing it (but you might want to be alittle more active then just sitting a writing hehe).

I think you could add your own twist on stuff like that and make it as funny or serious as you want. Baralai’s character design is quite complicated. Sure he seems overly nice but what’s really going on in there? lol

AeonisPi
06-12-2004, 04:19 AM
do something in character.. not too long because it'll get redundant fast. and have energy.. move about.. use the stage.

ShoyesaiNoMiko
06-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm personally doing a solo skit for Anime NEXT as Tifa from FF7: AC. I've taken a year's worth of acting courses with an improvisor from Second City, and I've had my brother (who's much funnier than me ^^;; ) help me out with writing a monologue. The one and only Cid Highwind actually inspired me to write it, after watching many of his monologues, I just wanted to do one of my own, because hey, I mean, everyone who plays FF can point out SOMETHING that doesn't make sense. I just hope I'm doing it in a way that those who don't play FF can understand it ^^;;;;

FoxPhyre
06-17-2004, 05:59 AM
communications professors would point out that involving the target audience, be it emotionally, physically (if rules allow), or simply by directing every word you speak to them (such as the public service anouncement idea) would be the best way to hold interest. single character "skits" have won awards and if done right, will win more. especially if the costuming is good, and your stage presence is made priority. stage presence isnt hard to achieve, as long as you speak loud and clear, and use the stage. make your movements bigger than real life and you wont just look like a timid deer in the headlights. any action that looks normal at a generally close distance will look muted on stage... and in the nosebleed section it will be almost non-existent... you have to make any action feel almost fake... take for example a monologue from a shakespearean stage production. the actions are almost over-exaggerated and the speech is overspoken.. but in stage productions, it has to be... alot of acting classes these days dont focus on stage production, they will focus on television and movie sets, unless you take a stage acting class... so over-exaggerated movements arent really the way they teach anymore.... but you can make a solo performance worth remembering.. its very very do-able
good luck

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I saw the most hilarious solo skit once-- not live, but on a download. It had me laughing so hard I couldn't breath. I think it was done at Akon. I'll show you the webpage if I can find it.

It was really simple actually. This guy just got on stage, not actually in costume or anything, and started telling these jokes. The tone of his voice and the way he moved was what made it one of the funniest things I've ever watched. It was better than most of the stuff on SNL and Mad tv in my opinion. And then while I was already struggling to stop laughing so I could hear what he was saying, he ripped off this shirt and threw it, then pulled his pants off (they were those sporty tear-away pants). Then he moved around in these yellow boxers. OMG, it's my favorite skit of all time!

Here's the site that has it:
http://www.cosplaymemories.com/Akon14/index.htm

It's in part 3. I think it's an awesome example of good acting. Compare it to the solo skits where the person doesn't move and observe the difference. It's all about body style in my opinion. I suggest putting everything into being loud and making big movements. Don't get hung up AT ALL. Be a fool! Go CRAZY! The one time you can get away with acting like this is when you're on stage, so enjoy every second and don't get timid for one second.

Beverly
06-17-2004, 09:23 PM
I had a really successful skit (if it qualifies as that... it was in the "skit section" of the cosplay contest) doing "Real Emotion" from FFX-2. From that experience, I'd say solo skits work great. But keep a few things in mind...

Make it SHORT. People get BORED really fast (hey, the instant gratification MTV McDonalds society we live in doesn't understand WAITING), and they may already be bored.

Be really freeking ENTERTAINING! High-energy, dance if you can, sing if you must, but do more than one thing (like talking) at once. Give them more than one thing to concentrate on.

PRACTICE! A lot of cosplayers are not stage experienced. You must speak loudly enough to be heard at the back of the room, and you don't have to shout to do it. If you can be mic'd, do it. Know your lines, your moves, everything you're going to do. A hesitant performer makes the audience uncomfortable.

And last, but not least... Beverly's #1 rule for cosplay.... HAVE FUN! You're there to have a good time! Remember that, and think of it as you walk on stage. ^^ Enjoy yourself, your costume, and the audience, and they will enjoy you, too.

Wakusei
06-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Solo skits are basically monologues, which do not have to be associated with stand-up. A monologue can be two different things; a one sided conversation with the audience or a private thought spoken aloud. You hear alot of it in detective stories, when a specific character is narriating his situation it's a monologue.

I have seen folks do it so it sounds like a public service announcement, a presidential address, a commercial, and much more. Some people even throw in a prerecorded audio track to give the illusion that the other characters are backstage. One man bits can be the funniest or the worst. You should run anything you plan to do by more than just your private circle of friends to make sure it can come across to a raw audience (raw means they may not be familiar with the character you portray.)

There's a kid I run into all the time that does nothing but solo skits and he gets awards every time.

majokai
06-20-2004, 10:22 PM
hi, i'm cosplaying as edward from fullmetal alchemist next week. and i'll need to do a solo skit then. ^^" do you guys have any ideas what i can do other than to scream "DON'T CALL ME SHORT!!!!" at the judges?

AeonisPi
06-26-2004, 03:22 PM
For my solo skit (hopefully), I'm going to try twirling either like a broom pole, or a broom pole with a little flag on it.. but i'm keeping it in character kinda^^ I'm not much for monologues.. they can get boring quick

Bennuko
06-08-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm going to do a solo performance of 'Real Emotion' as part of my Lenne cosplay for an event in October. I must've seen the clip well over 100 times, and I also had to go through the clip in slow motion to get all the moves right. Now it's just down to practicing and making sure everything matches what Yuna's doing.

Masahiro018
06-08-2005, 12:21 PM
to the point is the best... otherwise, long monologues (unless you are a very talented speaker) are just dull.

Hey! No they aren't...:(

I alternate skit genres each year between comedy to drama. When I was Red XIII and Wolfwood it was drama year so I did monologues straight from Final Fantasy VII (Red XIII talking to his father about understanding how and why he died) and Trigun (Wolfwood's Confession...or death scene.)

Long monologues aren't necessarily dull. You just have to pick one that will get some kind of emotion stirred in the audience.

Pick a scene that the character did or said something emotionally powerful. If you can either make the audience laugh, cry, or go 'aww' then you've done all you can do.

:D

Masahiro018
06-08-2005, 12:28 PM
hi, i'm cosplaying as edward from fullmetal alchemist next week. and i'll need to do a solo skit then. ^^" do you guys have any ideas what i can do other than to scream "DON'T CALL ME SHORT!!!!" at the judges?

I haven't really seen a whole lot of FMA...unfortunately. Wanted to but the dealer's room was out of DVDs at Animazement 2005. *sigh*

I do know that the mechanical arm is a punishment from breaking the laws of alchemy, so you could run with that if you wanted to do a comedy skit.

Talk about how you hated it at first but it kinda grew on you when you thought about all the other anime characters that had mechanical limbs. Like Jet from Cowboy Bebop who used his robotic arm to...um...do nothing. And then there was Barrett from Final Fantasy VII and Vash from Trigun whose prosthetics could blow stuff up. That's always useful. And there's always Tetsuo from Akira who...um...on second thought, bad example.

Idaknow. It would probably help if I was better acquainted with the series and the character. Sorry if my rant was entirely useless lol.

Ironekilz
06-10-2005, 11:13 AM
You need a solo skit as Ed? If you've watched FMA all the way through or if you don't mind spoilers:

SPOILER ALERT

At the end where he writes alchemic symbols all over his body in blood to get Al back, he could be too squeamish to cut himself, so he decides to use Winry's lipstick!

Ed hates milk, so it would be hilarious if he was transformed into a cow chimera (wear horns, udder, etc.). You could have him bemoan his fate and then at the end of your act play a recording shouting that it's time for your milking!

Okay, I know, I'm weird. But I'm dealing with it. :thumbsup:

Duplica
06-24-2005, 02:13 PM
When I think of Solo Skits, I think of the following:

Monologues - Like it was suggested, unless you're not very good at public speaking, and writing, monologues can seem long and boring. Also, not everyone, especailly the judges, know what character you're cosplaying, so monologues with a lot of reference to things from the series you're cosplaying from can be boring as well, unless you're cosplaying Sailor Moon, or some Pokemon character. XD

Dancing - Dancing can be a good thing to do alone, but again if you're not a very good dancer, and if you're trying to dance seriously with no real point, then that's pretty much bad.

Singing - Not a good idea if you can't sing, unless again, you're trying to be funny.

Skit - Skit? With one person? I guess this could be concidered a monologue, but you can pretend to be two people if you have a split personality, or talk to someone who isn't there, or maybe interact with the audience if that isn't against the cosplay masquerade rules at the con you're preforming at.

Solo skits are very hard to pull off, but if you can you'll be a favorite. :)

To me solo skit are hard to do because you have to know some what how to shift you're voice. And mood... and I guess that way you hold you're body too.

Though the voice shift is not hard for me because i'm a voice-over actress.
(My only proeblm with that is I can't go low. My voice is normal high. I'm a 1st spon.) Doing child voice is not hard for my just age the voice maybe.

UsagiNoSenshi
07-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I only participate in skits at really small local cons, and well there aren't enough cosplayers to really have groups, so i solo. I do something kinda like stand up... when i was Malon i went on about how i wasn't in smash brothers when zelda was... and stuff like that, when i was wedding yuna i complained about not wanting to get married and can up with a plan to get out of it. I got quite a few laughs and won with both those skits XP but more importantly it was very fun!

vile1
07-21-2005, 02:06 AM
hey! you can go for a super enthusiastic and passionate karaoke performance!
Break out in dance and maybe throw in some confetti and streamers at the climaxes!!!

hahaha you can see where im going with this :)