PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Look Male - Need Help(Pictures Included)

Lady
02-13-2004, 11:31 PM
I'd like to be able to pass as a guy or at least look very androdgynous when I start doing crossplay. My first crossplay will be in early September, so I have some time to practice posing and makeup between now and then.

I think I'm slowly figuring out how to pose to look more 'male' and to hide the hips and thighs a bit. Thanks to Karisu-sama's fantastic how to thread on binding, I think I have the manly un-chest down. However, my face is still a big problem. I've made the lips paler and tried to emphasize angularity via shading and highlighting, but I still look like a girl.

Does anyone have any tips or see anything I should work on to have more of a male or a better male/female blend going on? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Lady
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=109599&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=6875&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=109601&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=6875&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=109600&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=6875&page=1

dani
02-13-2004, 11:47 PM
i'd bet my boots (no, not the nice ones) that making your eyebrows bushier would make a huge difference.

Also the hair pulled so much draws attention to the nice oval shape of your face.

Cheers...

Dani

Scortia
02-14-2004, 12:17 AM
You are well bound. o.o I'm impressed... your face does have a nice androgynous look to it so I think you'll crossplay well. Thick eyebrows always help but yours aren't pencil thin... good job on the poses... it's good to avoid much smiling when crossplaying unless you have a really silly male character. ^^

Yin
02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Cut your hair and spike it. XD

That should do the trick! ;D

- Yin-yin

Olivia
02-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Put on pink blush around the beard line. Males have "blushiness" around there.

Also, try counter-shading your jaw to make it look more square. Do the same on your forehead.

And your neck is too thin.

:thumbsup:

Karisu-sama
02-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Damned good binding job! ~______^

I didn't notice the neck looked too thin - we're talking bishounen; = not-filled-out-like-an-adult yet. Lotsa young guys have skinny necks.

I did notice the cheek shadow line seems to come down a bit far - I'd stop it about halfway down and then shade the jaw edge line (starting from up just in front and just behind the ears) to give the jaw a harder edge look. But don't take that out all the way to the front / chin either. (It's so hard to try to use words to explain what I do - especially as I tend to just do it without thinking about it. :p)

I am not an expert; I just work with my own face & my kid's face to see what works on us... facial structures vary a lot... :thumbsup:

odango-mango
02-29-2004, 09:53 PM
i'd say maybe a short hair cut would help pull off the look more or a short wig..nice pics ^_^

~sora~
03-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Long hair doesn't really matter, just as long as it looks kind of dirty (i used to style my long hair to make it look dirty) and also what dani said, bushier eyebrows. otherwise i would have passed you as a guy,

Animeloilpop
04-03-2004, 09:29 PM
you should play arould with some make up. that and find some lipstick that is more around your skin type. athought than that you make a danm good boy XD

Chino-San
04-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Hmm not all males have a serious face lol. The eye brows make a huge difference. But you hide your chest quite well though.

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I would suggest bushier eyebrows and wearing your hair down. Some guys have long hair, and it would draw less attention to the shape of your face.

Lostboy
04-18-2004, 07:42 AM
I don't think that those dark streaks on your cheeks are quite working right. Instead, what if you subtly darkened the apples of your cheeks with a dark flesh tone to make them less prominent? Girls have more prominent cheekbones, and it seems to my eyes that your makeup is actually causing them to be even more prominant. Not to mention that guys don't wear makeup, so for your makeup to work right, it needs to be subtle. For people to even notice you have makeup on is a disadvantage to the illusion.

Consider maybe dabbing a rough-textured stage makeup sponge into some red ochre cream makeup and dabbing it under your jawline. That will make the jaw more prominent and also give you that slightly razorburned look. Follow with a touch of dark gray, very subtly, to add shadow and hint at whiskers.

mukino_kuneka
04-22-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a question. . .what about if you're crossplaying a YOUNG guy? Like, 16 years old? How would the makeup technique vary, if at all?

die-sama
04-23-2004, 01:09 AM
my god thats a good binding job
honestly i think u look really boyish already!! :D Wow!!
it also depends on ur character ^_^ good luck!

Lyulf
04-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Great binding job and those poses are great to. I agree on the eyebrows , and try to make the hair seen gruffer( dirtier) most guys even the young ones don't have straight shiney hair. Great Job though, coudoos to you