PDA

View Full Version : Magik cosplay- idk what fabric to even buy..help!!

Aurora Maryte
08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I feel a little pathetic asking this but oh well.
I'm doing Magik, from X-men for NYCC in October, because some friends really wanted to do an X-men group for NYCC and for Halloween too. And I'd never done a comic based cosplay before because I think I'm too fat to really look good in it, so I couldn't say no. I'm the only one that has cosplay experience, so they really wanted me..I guess to kind of help guide them through the process and through the convention.

So, that's fine, I've been helping them with their stuff, and meanwhile working on another costume for NYCC, a Thor lolita for another group. But now that it's basically done I wanted to start on Magik before law school gets too intense and I can't finish or something.

And...I realized I have NO idea what kind of fabric to use. This has never happened to me before, so I do feel stupid.
I think I'm obsessing over picking the correct fabric to use because I know I'll look fat, but I'm like terrified of my legs looking really huge if I pick something too shiny, or too stretchy or skintight...etc. I'm really self-conscious about the legs. I won't even do any cosplays with short skirts, shorts, or really tight pants.

The Magik costume I picked was this one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=285299628231524&set=a.106994109395411.13245.100002544681228&type=3&theater
I figured the little skirt thing might help hide my legs a little.

I know there is a certain fabric people use for these types of costumes. I just don't know what it is, or where to find it in a yellow shade like the one I need.

This girl: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.100969333385811.2472.100004182332529&type=3 seems to have the right fabric, but I tried messaging her to ask about it- since she doesn't live all that far away, and if she got it at a store I could probably go to the same place- but she never replied to me.
So, I'm asking here. For fabrics, for tips if you've got 'em on how to help with costume construction so my legs don't look like they belong to a hippo...all that good stuff.
Thanks in advance for any help everyone!!! :D