PDA

View Full Version : Need help to make an affordable "Yu-Gi-Oh" Mai Kujau/(Mai Valentine) costume.

Gadget
02-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Morning all,

I'm new here (read profile to know about me),will intro myself later. Anyway...need some help with making an affordable "Yu-Gi-Oh" Mai Kujaku/Mai Valentine costume for my up and coming trip to the "Yu-Gi-Oh" mall tour up in "The Mall Of America". I'd like to make it based on here "Doom Saga" look.

Here is what I have so far:

1. Long black goth gloves that go past my elbow.

Can anyone give me suggestions and help ?

Thank you for your help.

- Gadget

KuroBara
02-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Her doom outfit rocks. I haven't seen a full screencap of it, but isn't it:
Black gloves
Black tank top
purple vest
purple skirt
Black knee high boots

What's your price range? Affordable means different things to different people.

Do you plan on sewing? I made my Mai skirt from Wal-Mart purple broadcloth. I found the perfect shirt (battle city) for ~$12. With grommets and ribbon it came to about $15. My earrings were $2 from a thrift store, and the arm warmers were sleeves from another shirt. The belt was a friend's. With the deck box garter ~$5, my total was probably ~$35. (That includes fabric and zipper for the vest that I never finished) I already owned the black boots, those were $40 a few years ago. They were real leather on sale, but you can try payless or DSW for a cheaper pair. Is that cheap enough?

What color is your hair? A good wig will add ~$40-50 to your costume. You can take a chance with cheaper ones, but they will look cheap.

My fave pic: http://bootyproject.org/images/anime/Ota2003/med/o2k3_101.jpg

Gadget
02-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Her doom outfit rocks. I haven't seen a full screencap of it, but isn't it:
Black gloves
Black tank top
purple vest
purple skirt
Black knee high boots

What's your price range? Affordable means different things to different people.

Do you plan on sewing? I made my Mai skirt from Wal-Mart purple broadcloth. I found the perfect shirt (battle city) for ~$12. With grommets and ribbon it came to about $15. My earrings were $2 from a thrift store, and the arm warmers were sleeves from another shirt. The belt was a friend's. With the deck box garter ~$5, my total was probably ~$35. (That includes fabric and zipper for the vest that I never finished) I already owned the black boots, those were $40 a few years ago. They were real leather on sale, but you can try payless or DSW for a cheaper pair. Is that cheap enough?

What color is your hair? A good wig will add ~$40-50 to your costume. You can take a chance with cheaper ones, but they will look cheap.

My fave pic: http://bootyproject.org/images/anime/Ota2003/med/o2k3_101.jpg

Here is an image of what I'm trying to do:

http://www.janime.biz/images/FanArt/mai/01/11.jpg

My price range originally was $50,but now with things being fubared (bills) it's now $30. ::Waaaah:: I don't sew well here,nor have the time. I did find a few things at Goodwill.

Denim vest - $1.99
Denim shorts - less than $5
Leather boots (at Payless) - $25 (not counting tax yet)

As for my hair I'm a dark burnette,a little longer than shoulder length. But if I were to dye it,then I'd look like a redhead. Finding a wig shop here in Madison has been a ::censored::. ::mad::

Talk to you soon.

- Gadget

Hime no Toki
02-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Wow, another Mai cosplayer. ^.^ I did a Mai costume of her first season outfit (purple jacket and skirt, white top, purple boots, etc). It's not too hard a cosplay to do, most of the items are store-bought and you can just made modifications that you need to apply for accuracey. Like with my purple jacket I just needed to paint on the lighter purple trim and add some straps to the jacket. Good luck and post pics when it's all done! *still needs to get around to taking quality pics of my Mai outfit*

*~Hime no Toki~*

Gadget
02-19-2004, 05:56 AM
Wow, another Mai cosplayer. ^.^ I did a Mai costume of her first season outfit (purple jacket and skirt, white top, purple boots, etc). It's not too hard a cosplay to do, most of the items are store-bought and you can just made modifications that you need to apply for accuracey. Like with my purple jacket I just needed to paint on the lighter purple trim and add some straps to the jacket. Good luck and post pics when it's all done! *still needs to get around to taking quality pics of my Mai outfit*

*~Hime no Toki~*

Hehe..a hope to be one. ::being on a strict budget,due bills (one of them being my fault).:: :( Cool thing on your cosplay costume of Mai there. Thanks for the luck and I'd like to see pics too there when your done with yours.

- Gadget

PS - Cute image of Kenshin being huggled.

rhichan
02-19-2004, 03:42 PM
You can EASILY do Mai properly for under $50, if not cheaper- especially Battle City. Are you looking specifically to do that one fanart or how she actually looks in the series?

Gadget
02-20-2004, 01:56 AM
You can EASILY do Mai properly for under $50, if not cheaper- especially Battle City. Are you looking specifically to do that one fanart or how she actually looks in the series?

::from MN -nearby "The Mall Of America"::

I'm looking specifically from the fanart/how she looked in the "Doom Saga" of the series. I found a denim vest for $1.99 at Goodwill before I left Madison this afternoon. So..now I'm about half way done from completing the costume. All I need is the boots,top and wig,I'll see what I can find while in the mall. I have about 2 days before the actual events. A friend brought his sewing machine so just in case if I need to,I can use it.

Any more suggestions or comments from anyone about this ? Wish me luck here of completing it. :(

Nights.

- Gadget

rhichan
02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Not sure what stores you have around you.
However, a psuedo-corset cotton shirts, I've been seeing those around ALOT lately for around 10-20 dollars. I suggest that because it will be so much more comfortable than a real corset and so much cheaper! Alos easier to clean and transport. Just a great alternative. (Look at your local mall teenie-bopper stores!)
I've noticed black boots are on clearance now or were a month ago, since they're going out of season. You can get a pair at like, Payless for twenty or less, easily. Also, you'll find them for that price again, at your local mall teenie-bopper store!
Post pics when it's done!

bunnybeth
02-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Another Mai cosplayer... and you like Gadget! I'm helping (i.e. making) a Mai costume for my friend Kelli, who is a Gadget fan herself. Just thought that was a funny coincidence. I haven't seen much YuGiOh, but think Mai has far and away the best costumes/clothing of all the female characters, I like all her outfits that I've seen. Since the event is this weekend, that means you can't order a wig online. But, for what you're looking for, I'd say you can get a good one for $35. Have you looked at costume/party supply shops? GOOD LUCK!

Gadget
02-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Not sure what stores you have around you.
However, a psuedo-corset cotton shirts, I've been seeing those around ALOT lately for around 10-20 dollars. I suggest that because it will be so much more comfortable than a real corset and so much cheaper! Alos easier to clean and transport. Just a great alternative. (Look at your local mall teenie-bopper stores!)
I've noticed black boots are on clearance now or were a month ago, since they're going out of season. You can get a pair at like, Payless for twenty or less, easily. Also, you'll find them for that price again, at your local mall teenie-bopper store!
Post pics when it's done!

Golly! There is alot of stores in the mall. There is the Rave,Hot Topic,Ragstock. Btw...what those corset cotten shirts look like ? Yeah...I saw yesterday some boots on sale at Payless for $25. I'll try my best to complete it and post pics.

- Gadget

Gadget
02-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Another Mai cosplayer... and you like Gadget! I'm helping (i.e. making) a Mai costume for my friend Kelli, who is a Gadget fan herself. Just thought that was a funny coincidence. I haven't seen much YuGiOh, but think Mai has far and away the best costumes/clothing of all the female characters, I like all her outfits that I've seen. Since the event is this weekend, that means you can't order a wig online. But, for what you're looking for, I'd say you can get a good one for $35. Have you looked at costume/party supply shops? GOOD LUCK!

:bashful: Coolies. Oh..the show is so cool. Yeah.... :waaaah: (<--about the wig part). Yes I have,I havn't seen one yet.

Talk to you soon.

- Gadget

Gadget
02-21-2004, 01:23 AM
I found the boots but the top,pants that I was looking for at RAVE,Hot Topic,Ragstock didn't have my size of 18. It's no use,I can't do it and why should I even try to complete it after the mall tour. I couldn't go and play as Mai tommrow. :bigcry:

I'm sorry for wasting all of you time with my post.:bigcry: :blubber:

- Gadget

rhichan
02-21-2004, 02:25 PM
*hugs* Hey, now. Just because you couldn't do a costume for one occasion doesn't mean you can't do it for another! This sort of thing happens to me all the time! While waiting for the next occasion to wear it, you'll find the parts you need, I'm positive!

And you didn't waste my time- I enjoy helping people when I can.

Gadget
02-23-2004, 04:42 AM
*hugs* Hey, now. Just because you couldn't do a costume for one occasion doesn't mean you can't do it for another! This sort of thing happens to me all the time! While waiting for the next occasion to wear it, you'll find the parts you need, I'm positive!

And you didn't waste my time- I enjoy helping people when I can.

::hugs back.:: How so ? Example. I'm not sure if I should find size 18 denim pants or make some pants that fit out of leathery material. What would you suggest for a person that has umm...:blush: gain a bit of weight as of late (due to my depression/bpd) ?

- Gadget

rhichan
02-23-2004, 04:41 PM
I certainly know the larger size thing! I suggest you check out Ebay. You never know what you'll find there.
If you've just gained weight, I find buying a new article of clothing that I just fell in love with but just didn't quite fit into is a great incentive.
But back to the subject on hand... also, looking at websites of local chain stores (Macy's, JC Penny, etc.) often have larger sizes available, as do their catolouges. You'll have more trouble just looking in a store as they can only stock a very limited quantity/ size range.
Also, here (http://www.lbcatalog.com/lbcatalog/layout/layout.asp?referer=1&affiliate_id=008&affiliate_location_id=01&cts223200454719PM=1&name=cts223200454719PM) can be found at malls and specializes in attractive clothing ONLY in sizes 15+.

Gadget
03-08-2004, 03:59 AM
I certainly know the larger size thing! I suggest you check out Ebay. You never know what you'll find there.
If you've just gained weight, I find buying a new article of clothing that I just fell in love with but just didn't quite fit into is a great incentive.
But back to the subject on hand... also, looking at websites of local chain stores (Macy's, JC Penny, etc.) often have larger sizes available, as do their catolouges. You'll have more trouble just looking in a store as they can only stock a very limited quantity/ size range.
Also, here (http://www.lbcatalog.com/lbcatalog/layout/layout.asp?referer=1&affiliate_id=008&affiliate_location_id=01&cts223200454719PM=1&name=cts223200454719PM) can be found at malls and specializes in attractive clothing ONLY in sizes 15+.

I'll see if evil-bay (different name for e-bay due to being in debt with them a few years ago and how some bidders like to outbid you and set things at a high price)has anything. Thanks for the link,I'll try looking into that.

Btw...sorry for the slow response,things have been crazy for me since the mall tour (finatually,etc..). Oh...you wouldn't have any reccomendations of websites that have Mai hair style wigs (at affordable prices)?

- Gadget

rhichan
03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Define afforable. Because I know where you can get one for about fifty dollars, that's pretty much the cheapest I've been able to find.

Gadget
03-31-2004, 08:04 AM
Define afforable. Because I know where you can get one for about fifty dollars, that's pretty much the cheapest I've been able to find.

Nothing over $100 but under $100. Do you have a link to this place where they have Mai style type wigs ? Btw...I found some cool leather gloves at Wilsons Leather for about 60% off there normal price,so I'm looking at under $25 for a pair. :)

- Gadget