PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for guys?

Aeauna
02-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I was wondering if it would be at all possible to find high-heels for a guy friend of mine with big feet. Is there a specific conversion from mens' to womens' sizes? Where should I look for shoes? I don't remember what size he said he wore, but it was pretty big. (Seriously, this guy's got feet like a clown.) If I can't find shoes that fit, is there any way I could make a decent alternative? Thankies to any help I can get!

dani
02-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Shoes!!! Oh, yesss! Shoes..... ah... *ahem*... well...

There is a lot to be said about shoes, as I've been researching the subject for years just for scientific purposes of course, not because I'm obsessed with them.

Lets see if I can condense the basics here:

- The numeric size is not equivalent for males and females. Meaning a size 10 doesn't have the same size if its a male or a female model

- They come in variety of widths: A (narrowest), B, C, D (also called W). In specialty stores there are even AA, AAA and other strange widths. The standard (if it doesn't say anything) for males is D, while the standard for females is B. In my personal perception I divide the female shoes universe available in 80% B, 15% D, and 5% all other widths.

- As with clothes, not all shoes of the same size and width fit the same. Fit changes with brand, model, type and even materials used. Even if a shoe fits, comfort after some time of use varies widely.

- Most males I know need to go to one size number higher when looking for femme shoes and look for D. As I'm a 10 usually, but my most of femme shoes are either 11W (also called D) or 12 (B, regular).

- SOME shoes can be modified (maybe from B to D) with the use of a shoe stretcher. Mine has helped me recover shoes that would have gone to the garbage otherwise. Real leather and fabric materials respond well to this treatment. Synthetic materials don't.

- For all these fitting details buying online is NOT recommended initially at least. Over time I learned which brands use a pattern compatible with my foot so now I buy online, but even then sometimes I must return them.

- Payless and Sears are two places that carry a certain variety of the bigger sizes and widths. Nothing can replace going to the store to try them on. No online fitting guide, sizing template, anything. Wear some hose and walk to the store. These two stores are reasonably priced. There are some specialty stores that charge an arm an a leg for a pair of shoes for "orthopedic" reasons. No need to go to them in most cases. (partly because the styles are awful)

It might be difficult at first to find an array of suppliers, but it gets easier over time once you know what you are looking for. I'm attaching a sample of my collection I made in 2001. By now I should add another 10 or 15 pairs at least. The point being: it IS possible.

Enjoy....

Dani

Ah: pair #15 was painted orange for Sailor Venus and #16 has been tagged for becoming pink for antoher costume.

Kokuu
02-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I have very big feet for a girl (size 11) and finding large size shoes are very difficult. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack are good places, since they consistantly have shoes up to at least a womens 12 (though not very many styles) and occassionaly a size 13. Nordstrom is a bit expensive, but for the most part Nordstrom Rack has very reasonably priced shoes (and sometimes even cheap ones). If your feet are still too big to fit in those- your best bet is to go to a cross dressing store if there is one near by. I live near San Francisco, so no real problem there. ^^ My best friend, who wears like a 13 1/2 has to go there if she wants dress shoes. If not, try the internet, though I don't recommend it for buying shoes, since shoes sizes very from brand to brand. Sometimes I can even fit into a 10, othertimes I need a 12.

Aeauna
02-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Dani: O.O You've got more shoes than I do! Well, okay, I don't have that many, but still.... wow..... #28 is still my fave. ^.^
Kokuu: Oh my gosh, they have CROSS-DRESSING STORES?!?! Well, there goes my great money making plan.... *sniff* I never knew that. I may have to try finding one.

Y'all are awesome. Really. Thanks.

dani
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Dani: O.O You've got more shoes than I do! Well, okay, I don't have that many, but still.... wow..... #28 is still my fave.
When I started getting serious I got panic that I'll never be able to find shoes for me, so I developed some kind of phobia or mania, that every time I passed by a shoe store I had to go in and see if they had anything my size.

I'm feeling MUCH better now :) but still, if I see a shoe that fits, in a color/style I don't have, at a reasonable price, I grab it.

Oh my gosh, they have CROSS-DRESSING STORES?!?! Well, there goes my great money making plan.... *sniff* I never knew that. I may have to try finding one.
Yes, mosts big cities have at least one. They usually carry up to size 13, and charge what I call "chicken tax": an overprice for people too shy to go to a regular store.

Have fun...

Dani

Olivia
02-18-2004, 07:50 PM
A lot of plus-size chick stores sell 10-13 shoes, I think. And, like Dani said, they charge extra for them... which bites.

I have 10W feet and it's difficult finding heals. Your shoe size is assotiated with your height. So the bigger the shoe is, the smaller the heal is. In other words, it's hard to find stilletos in 10-13W.

Payless goes up to 10W. I get a lot of my shoes from there, so I'd suggest Payless.

Stay away from Goodwill and eBay.

And dani, I like number 14. Where'd you get 'em??? :thumbsup:

dani
02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
And dani, I like number 14. Where'd you get 'em??? :thumbsup:
A small independent store in the basement of a gallery/mall about 8 or 9 years ago. I almost butcher them to make maryjanes for Sailor Venus school outfit, till I saw the video and she doesn't wear maryjanes.

Cheers...

Dani

Karisu-sama
02-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Manufacturers vary their cut considerably, so I wear anywhere between a women's 8 to a 9.5, depending. My experience is that men's sizes correspond roughly to 2 numbers smaller than women's sizes (ie: a men's "7" = a woman's "9".) One problem I find when I'm trying on "unisex" or guy's shoes is they are typically cut wider, and I have narrow feet, so I slip around in them. :(

My husband has the problem of needing a men's 6 to 6.5 - but most men's shoe stores don't carry anything below a men's 7. I bet he'd have an easier time finding shoes in the women's section - except he does NOT crossplay. :p :p (And women's unisex styles usually turn out too narrow for him. :/ )

Back to the Birkenstocks.... :p

dani
02-18-2004, 11:29 PM
One problem I find when I'm trying on "unisex" or guy's shoes is they are typically cut wider, and I have narrow feet, so I slip around in them. :(
As I said, standard for men is D, and for women B.

My husband has the problem of needing a men's 6 to 6.5
Holly Carrie Broadshaw! Tell him I wanna trade! I'd have over 100 pairs at that size.... move over Imelda Marcos.
women's unisex styles usually turn out too narrow for him.
You could seriously consider a shoe stretcher. It can works wonders on leather and fabric shoes if you know how to use it.

Enjoy...

Dani

Decibella
02-20-2004, 02:23 PM
hey, sorry if this seems like a shameless plug,

but my girlfriend and i have an Industrial Glam Goth Drag store online and tend to carry larger sizes of women's shoes (and clothes, make up and wigs) especially with grrrly boys, crossplayers and J-Rock enthusiasts in mind . I have tons of big outrageous shoes and boots perfect for cons and crossplay...they can come up to size 15 womens, depending on the style. Our site is in the middle of being redesigned and we have to still upload about a million pics of our new shoes and gear but you get the idea...

we know shoes.

www.sadisticvanity.com

Glamour is your only weapon!

Menchi
02-21-2004, 11:17 PM
one link great for umm big heels an such www.howcool.com ^^ enjoy

Leon
03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
I wear a size 15 shoe, so I have a hard enough time trying to find shoes anyway (Well, without paying too much money or getting suggestive comments)....finding shoes for crossplay would probably be even more interesting...

dani
03-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately the economies of scale make the common sizes cheap, and the not so common expensive, and hard to find. Sorry I can't think of anything to help your situation...

Dani

Leon
03-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately the economies of scale make the common sizes cheap, and the not so common expensive, and hard to find. Sorry I can't think of anything to help your situation...

Dani
It's okay, Dani. Looks like I might have a hard time with the Sailorpluto costume someone suggested I do....but, then again, I could always squeeze into some "heifer hooves" or get boot covers.

At least, thanks to you, I know a way to get the upper body right....